Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

steverules_2
There have been talks of a sequel and even making AVATAR a trilogy

xJLxKing
It has been confirmed by big C. He admitted that if a movie makes this much money, it will have a sequel. Though, he never confirmed the trilogy part. He just said he might

WickedDynamite
Let me guess..

Na'vi will go underwater...right...I can see where the inspiration might come from....

http://postgrungedrifter.com/wp-content/uploads/224042986_9a362d09cc.jpg

BruceSkywalker
this is obviously a no brainer... the film is now the highest grossing film of all time and Cameron himself said it could be a possible trilogy.. Cameron also said if you paid attention you could figure out where the sequel may be going...

SnakeEyes
Of course they're going to make one (or two), but isn't it a little soon to be talking about it? You guys should be happy with the first, mediocre movie. I wonder what unoriginal story he's going to lazily throw together next in order to showcase some neat technology.

Impediment
The Matrix was an awesome film.

It should have ended with Neo's final statement.

Then the powers that be decided to make two more shit films.

You do the math.

xJLxKing
Yeah, usually, most equal end up being worse then when they started. The only trilogy I can think of that was good from start to finish is Lord Of The Rings. In fact, it got better as it trilogy progressed

Kazenji
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
mediocre movie.

In your opinion of course unlike you some people did get something from this movie.

Originally posted by Impediment

You do the math.

But with Avatar Cameron has giving his reason for the sequels because he's mentioned about certain scenes which lead to the sequels.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Kazenji
In your opinion of course unlike you some people did get something from this movie.

Yeah, 3 hours of digital eye-candy. That's all the movie had to offer.

Kazenji
other then that.

willman
I thought Avatar was great, and although i would of course be excited by the thought of watching a new adventure for Jake and Neytiri, i am puzzled as to what the adventure would be about.

So many films end on a tiny cliffhanger which does at least open up the door to possible sequels, but in Avatar, the human threat has been defeated, Jake is a Na'vi, and everyone is happy. I can only think of a few plausible storylines for a sequel such as things like the humans returning, or the Na'vi must fight an opposing force on the planet of Pandora (maybe a different Na'vi clan?) or something stupid like they have to save the tree of souls from a banana with nun-chucks. Either way, such a film would be borish and it wouldn't even keep to the title of the film, as Jake is no longer an Avatar! They will have to do some serious thinking in order to come up with a fresh, new and plausible plot for any sequels.

Also, everyone knows sequels are nearly always worse than their predecessors, just look at the Pirates trilogy, the second and third films were garbage! Transformers 2 was also terrible, and The Matrix shot itself in the foot with the second and third flicks. Theres hundreds more!

If there is a sequel to Avatar, im not holding my breath!

Kazenji
But its Cameron doing the sequal he has'nt done a Bad sequal yet

Aliens, T2 are his previous two.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Yeah, 3 hours of digital eye-candy. That's all the movie had to offer.

Really? Man..,what was so bad about the story? I thought it was quite intriguing. By the end of the movie you wanted to be an Alien. I thought one of the main focus points of science fiction and fantasy was meant to make you believe in new worlds and ponder. lol Everyone got to take a trip to disney land for a day laughing out loud

willman
But its Cameron doing the sequal he has'nt done a Bad sequal yet

Aliens, T2 are his previous two.

There was enough scope with Alien and Terminator to produce viable sequels. The Terminator storyline allowed time travel so it was easy to just send in another terminator and ta-da you have a sequel! And everyone knew that "he would be back...".

Alien was a harder film to make up a sequel for but as its a horror, its a lot easier to get away with "more of the same"...look how popular nightmare on elm street and Friday the 13th films are, when they are all basically the same. And yes, i know Aliens isnt your run of the mill horror film, but the success of the first one, and it being such a timeless classic for the time it was released, meant a sequel was a lot more simple to do than it would be with say, a film like Avatar.

My point with Avatar, is the ending is very, very FINAL. I just cant see what would make a great storyline for a second film, but I'll admit if anyone can do it, its the big JC himself...

steverules_2
People forget that Cameron directed two of the greatest sequels in cinema history (Terminator 2 and Aliens). Lets have some faith here, this could end up being a great sequel.

Kazenji
Originally posted by steverules_2
People forget that Cameron directed two of the greatest sequels in cinema history (Terminator 2 and Aliens). Lets have some faith here, this could end up being a great sequel.

On snap

i mentioned those earlier

and also he did do Piranha 2 which was bad but then again it was his first film.

steverules_2
On snap

i mentioned those earlier

and also he did do Piranha 2 which was bad but then again it was his first film.

He made a masterpiece with terminator which was a low budget, and that did extremely well and I think that was his break through into good movies, the sequel to piranha wasn't great no but since then he's directed the best movies, titanic was the highest earning movie ever I believe until Avatar came out so I think the movies he makes pretty much speak for themselves and so do the awards that he's recieved.

jaden101
Avatar was a genuine attempt to push the technological boundaries of film making. Cameron and his team took years to develop brand new techniques and had to wait even longer for cinemas to catch up in order to project his vision to the fullest.

Avatar 2, on the other hand, will just be a blatent cash on on the 1st movie's success and in all likelyhood wont be able to rely on technology and visual uniqueness to carry a sub standard storyline.

dadudemon

You do the math.

I liked the additional 2 movies. I liked the second one the best. The Matrix Trilogy is "one" of the VERY few "films" I actually owned.

I liked the first one, least.

darthmaul1

You do the math.

I enjoyed the other 2, but you are correct if you want you can end it with Neo's final statement, in the first movie, i think i would of liked it more if they reaveiled in the 2nd or 3rd movie that when they thought they were out of the matirx they were really still in it and the machines wrote that program to make people think they were free.

BruceSkywalker

You do the math.

I liked The Matrix Reloaded, but The Matrix Resolutions needed more fight scenes and sightly better story

xJLxKing
http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/blog/42-avatar-earnings-sink-titanic

Avatar 2 will probably come out, but not anytime soon

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by xJLxKing
http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/blog/42-avatar-earnings-sink-titanic

Avatar 2 will probably come out, but not anytime soon

I figure the sequel will be out by 2012 or 2013

xJLxKing
Do you know how long people wait for T2?

lord xyz
I personally think Avatar shouldn't've been made in the first place.

Is it really anything we haven't seen before?

But that seems to be a sci-fi tradition. Familiar stories with unfamiliar visuals.

Kazenji
Originally posted by lord xyz

Is it really anything we haven't seen before?

Sure yeah Story wise yes

everything else no.

monikaluchi
I don't know the story line yet. But i like to request Cameron not to make a sequel Let it be unique.

steverules_2
Do you know how long people wait for T2?

7 years

But then terminator hasn't been as successful as Avatar has

xJLxKing
7 years

But then terminator hasn't been as successful as Avatar has That is true, but there is also the fact that Cameron does have patience. He waited a decade to make Avatar. I am sure he'll wait a few years now to make Avatar 2 with even better technology. That's just my guess

steverules_2
I dunno if it can get any better, but did Cameron wait because he knew Avatar wouldn't be AS good as it is now had it now had the technology when it was originally going to come out which I think was in 2007? I dunno but thats just a guess, Avatar was good, and I loved the 3D animation...saw it for the first time today and it was quite good but at the same time depressing

Tired-Hiker
I think they should make Avatar 2 a zombie movie. Say Nevi, or whatever the **** her name was, and the guy, Steve or whatever, go on their honeymoon to a floating mountain that happens to be spewing a waterfall contaminated by some zombie toxin. Basically Nevi and Steve are going to go skinny dipping but they notice dead people, or dead blue guys or whatever the **** they are, and then .... blah blah blah.... zombies.

That's the only way I could see this as being awesome.

steverules_2
You mean Jake Sully

chiaki
Yeah I heard it was going to be a trilogy....eh....I think they should've left it at one. It's going to be too repetitive.

xJLxKing
Well, in the hands of a good directors, it can be very creative. Cameron said it himself in an interview, much of Pandora is left to explore. They only showed us one tribe, and only a dozen of different creatures. There is also the possibility of the Humans coming back since their planet is dying, and the "unobtanium" is still very valuable.

There is a lot of space for a new story, you just need a good directors

steverules_2
Yeah I was thinking this, the humans got sent away but who's to say they won't come back with better methods on getting what they want...

chiaki
There is also the possibility of the Humans coming back since their planet is dying, and the "unobtanium" is still very valuable.

Exactly....same story as the first movie. Humans come back, try to steal the unobtainium....makes no since to repeat the story.

Cameron is being his normal arrogant, cocky self. He thinks he's God and anything he shits out will make him billions.

It's just like what they said on the news about the Oscars. Avatar is nominated for like, 9 Oscars.

Cameron and the producer were pissed! They expected more! The movie was good, but not THAT good. I wouldn't pay to see it a second time.

xJLxKing
Originally posted by chiaki
Exactly....same story as the first movie. Humans come back, try to steal the unobtainium....makes no since to repeat the story.

Cameron is being his normal arrogant, cocky self. He thinks he's God and anything he shits out will make him billions.

It's just like what they said on the news about the Oscars. Avatar is nominated for like, 9 Oscars.

Cameron and the producer were pissed! They expected more! The movie was good, but not THAT good. I wouldn't pay to see it a second time. You payed to see a movie about a guy who was sent to a distant land and fell in only. Who later betrayed his own kind. Do I need to tell you how many movies there are with the same plot? It doesn't have to be exactly with the human returning. It could be like they want revenge and they counterattack, or something totally different. Something into the future, where Jake Sully has already died and became a myth. Cameron made sure to leave a lot of room for different kind of movies. Heck, it can continue with Jake fighting the other clans or something.

chiaki
You payed to see a movie about a guy who was sent to a distant land and fell in only. Who later betrayed his own kind. Do I need to tell you how many movies there are with the same plot? It doesn't have to be exactly with the human returning. It could be like they want revenge and they counterattack, or something totally different. Something into the future, where Jake Sully has already died and became a myth. Cameron made sure to leave a lot of room for different kind of movies. Heck, it can continue with Jake fighting the other clans or something.

Yeah you're right, I seem to remember someone else continuously making movies and the first two, people were excited, then they realized it was the EXACT SAME MOVIE! Saw Series

Look, I could be wrong, and god I hope I am. I hope Avatar 2 is great! Because there is nothing worse than a shitty sequel...except maybe a shitty trilogy.

But if it's about the same shit again...why bother?

jinXed by JaNx
I hope the sequel is crossover with, Predator.

steverules_2
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I hope the sequel is crossover with, Predator.

Predator takes on everyone, the next one will be Kramer vs Predator, its the sequel to Kramer vs Kramer

Here's the trailer:

g2304vpXwZ8

Tired-Hiker
Look, the only way this movie will be good is if it comes with a free bj.

chiaki
Originally posted by Tired-Hiker
Look, the only way this movie will be good is if it comes with a free bj.

yes agreed

Kazenji
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=63102

steverules_2
When a movie makes the amount avatar did there's bound to be a sequel, titanic couldn't really have a sequel for a number of reasons but avatar can

Scythe
And yet, I can see it now. Coming soon: Titanic 2: Going Up...

steverules_2
That sounds like an X-rated titanic...

xJLxKing
You read my mind

steverules_2
There are just so many sexual jokes I could make

coolmovies
I dont mind a sequel but a trilogy no.

jinXed by JaNx
Predator takes on everyone, the next one will be Kramer vs Predator, its the sequel to Kramer vs Kramer

Here's the trailer:

g2304vpXwZ8

that's awesome and all but it would have meant more to me had it been the negro hating Kramer. Still...,impressive though, i'm definitely going to fandango this one when it releases.

Kazenji
Seems like sigourny weaver will be back for the sequel.

FistOfThe North
call it "the blue man group", just not "avatar 2". there's no need for the avatar program after the events of pt. 1.

and also avatars' sequel'll be made only to make more money. just because pt. 1 made so much money. like that'll be the prime motivation, over story, effects, and all. so we'll practically be watching a straight to dvd film-like quality movie at theatres.

Cameron's not gonna really care how the sequel turns out really, he's got a brand now, and he knows you'll go watch it anyway no matter what, so he'll make it as subpar as he can so that he can make as much money as he can, again.

Kazenji
So when did George lucas walk onto the set????

Tired-Hiker
Cameron won't direct it if he thinks it'll suck. Hence T3 and T4.

Kazenji
Well concerning T3 he was gonna direct at some stage a few years back i was reading and he wanted so much money to work with but yeah the studio would'nt accept the amount.

Kazenji
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65366

Mr. Rhythmic
"Avatar 2: Avatar Harder"

Robtard
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65366

Great, so he's giving us 'The Abyss' again.

Juk3n
It has been confirmed by big C. He admitted that if a movie makes this much money, it will have a sequel. Though, he never confirmed the trilogy part. He just said he might

And thats where love for the art and corporate intrest meet. Here we have a man, JC, rich as you like, can make any movie he wants, can DO anything he wants And loves film. Made some classics for the love of his art. Made this - his labour of Love - great film. Revel in his success? Pfft, no! milk milk milk. You'd never see Ridley or Scorsese pull this shit.

Myth
People have said it is dumb to have the title keep "Avatar" since Jake is no longer an avatar, but maybe the storyline will involve a bad guy (or bad guys) who use avatars. I could see Jake's tribe clashing with another tribe and that being the focus, when later it is discovered that the war between the tribes was due to humans in avatars tricking or framing the tribes to battle each other. Or something along those lines.

Tired-Hiker
Avatar 2 - "Avatards", the story could be about retarded people who become avatars in order to tard out and do tard antics in Pandora!

Darth Martin
Don't really care to see another "Avatar" film. Wouldn't mind seeing a coimpletely different film with visuals inspired and similar to Avatar, however.

Kazenji
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/DenofL5/news/?a=29127

dadudemon
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/DenofL5/news/?a=29127

Any proof that increasing the frame rate eliminates (or reduces) the nausea effect of 3D?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by dadudemon
Any proof that increasing the frame rate eliminates (or reduces) the nausea effect of 3D?

i'm not sure if there is any.. besides watching avatar is much better on 2 d

MotionCityJimmy
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i'm not sure if there is any.. besides watching avatar is much better on 2 d

Amen.

Avatar 2? Typical. I still think that Avatar is the highest grossing movie just because of the high ticket prices for 3D and the hype of the graphics. It's really not a good movie. I don't expect its sequel to be any better.

Kazenji
Just hope Jim does'nt forget about the Story and its characters.

Mr. Rhythmic
Just hope Jim does'nt forget about the Story and its characters.

Um... Which story, and which characters?

MotionCityJimmy
Originally posted by MotionCityJimmy
Amen.

Avatar 2? Typical. I still think that Avatar is the highest grossing movie just because of the high ticket prices for 3D and the hype of the graphics. It's really not a good movie. I don't expect its sequel to be any better.

Don't worry, he'll base it on another Disney movie like he did in the first one: Pocahontas. What do you think like Finding Nemo or Lion King?

Kazenji
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
Um... Which story, and which characters?

Oh yeah they don't exist just like that other movie with you.

Nephthys
Avatar was good. Not great or bad, but good. Hopefully this will also be good. That's all I have to say on the matter.

Syren
Originally posted by MotionCityJimmy
Don't worry, he'll base it on another Disney movie like he did in the first one: Pocahontas. What do you think like Finding Nemo or Lion King?

It was based on Pocahontas?? I thought more likely Fern Gully erm

MotionCityJimmy
Originally posted by Syren
It was based on Pocahontas?? I thought more likely Fern Gully erm

That too.

Kazenji
it was based on lots of things

personally i think Jim should've went over the script again since he wrote it in 1994.

MotionCityJimmy
Agreed... times 12.

Patient_Leech
Who the hell knows when Avatar 2 though 15 are gonna come out, but...

These are great... laughing out loud

uJarz7BYnHA

dLzKwTcGO_0

Kazenji
So...yeah some concept art dropped online for this sequel.

Patient_Leech
So...yeah some concept art dropped online for this sequel.

You don't care to reveal them?

Is this it...

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/avatar-2-first-look-james-cameron-mercedes-benz-1203459025/

Surtur
Looking forward to this movie!!

No I'm kidding.

Patient_Leech
I'm looking forward to the visuals.

In such a visual medium James Cameron delivers.

steverules_2
I forgot I made this

Surtur
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I'm looking forward to the visuals.

In such a visual medium James Cameron delivers.

I guess, but it's like a video game with gorgeous graphics, but shit gameplay.

Darth Thor
Never saw the original in theatres, and the 3D was supposed to be fantastic, so looking forward to that at least.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Surtur
I guess, but it's like a video game with gorgeous graphics, but shit gameplay.

I've grown more forgiving of it over the years. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

It's better than any Marvel movie as far as a theme park ride goes. It's good immersive fantasy if nothing else.

Cameron is a really good action director, so the sequences aren't unnecessarily disorienting or shaky-cammed. They're beautifully done.

Surtur
I've grown more forgiving of it over the years. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Fair enough. I do hope they try a bit harder with the story though, even if it's just a teeny tiny bit harder. The first movie was essentially just Pocahontas, but with aliens.

Ehhh gotta disagree here. Point of a theme park ride is to be fun and most Marvel movies are way more fun than Avatar.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Never saw the original in theatres, and the 3D was supposed to be fantastic, so looking forward to that at least.

It really was. It's the only movie I've ever watched in 3D that justified the price, imo. It was that good.

riv6672

Kazenji
^ Avatar 3?

Patient_Leech
It's better than any Marvel movie as far as a theme park ride goes. It's good immersive fantasy if nothing else. Originally posted by Surtur
Ehhh gotta disagree here. Point of a theme park ride is to be fun and most Marvel movies are way more fun than Avatar.

I'm partial to aliens on faraway planets with spaceships, etc as opposed to people in silly costumes doing silly things.

Patient_Leech

riv6672
Yeah, whut? confused

Kazenji
^ So you built yourself a time machine and already seen Avatar 3?

riv6672

Patient_Leech
It has a title, and a teaser releasing soon, apparently...

The Way of Water

https://deadline-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/deadline.com/2022/04/avatar-2-title-trailer-1235010995/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9& amp;usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251
%24s&aoh=16511975089651&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fdeadline.com%2F2022%2F04%2Favatar-2-title-trailer-1235010995%2F

Kazenji
Yeah...I've been reading its gonna be attached to Dr Strange 2, The trailer for this movie

no doubt it'll be online, It's not like it's gonna be 'go and see Dr Strange 2 otherwise miss out on it'.

Patient_Leech
Yeah...I've been reading its gonna be attached to Dr Strange 2, The trailer for this movie

no doubt it'll be online, It's not like it's gonna be 'go and see Dr Strange 2 otherwise miss out on it'.

Yeah, I'm not rushing to the theater for it. I'll just wait for it to release online.

BruceSkywalker
I will wait f the Disney Plus release

Darth Thor
This is one I will watch in theatres. Simply because I missed the original on its theatrical release, and unlike most films the 3D was supposed to be worth seeing for Avatar.

Kazenji
^ Yeah It was worth watching for it in 3D the first one apart form the story itself was mediocre.

Ridley_Prime
Me and family saw the first one theatrically, and all we remember was how the story left something to be desired, not so much how pretty the effects were. I have no interest in seeing another something that is beautiful on the outside but soulless on the inside.

Kazenji
I'm Hoping James Cameron fixes that for the sequel, A good story to go along with the great visual's.

riv6672

Patient_Leech
A few images have leaked. It... looks like an Avatar sequel..

https://www-express-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1603659/Avatar-2-leak-pictures-Avatar-The-Way-of-Water/amp?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9& amp;usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251
%24s&aoh=16514061614424&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.express.co.uk%2Fentertainment%2Ffilms%2F1603659%2FAvatar-2-leak-pictures-Avatar-The-Way-of-Water

Kazenji
^ THat site is f'ked can't see no images for the 2nd movie.

Impediment

riv6672

Patient_Leech

Patient_Leech
Not gonna lie, it looks pretty impressive visually. But we all knew it would...

a8Gx8wiNbs8

steverules_2
Not gonna lie, it looks pretty impressive visually. But we all knew it would...

a8Gx8wiNbs8

So did the last one

Patient_Leech
It honestly just looks like a remake of the first. I'm struggling to figure out how the story is going to differ.

I guess it's just all about FAMILY... with Vin Diesel joining the cast.

https://www.thirstyfornews.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/FAMILY-99-f.jpg

jaden_2.0
It honestly just looks like a remake of the first. I'm struggling to figure out how the story is going to differ.

The first one never did well because it had a particularly good or unique or interesting story. It was entirely because it had new 3d technology. But that had largely been abandoned by film makers nowadays. Same with the high frame rate movies like The Hobbit. Supposedly they've revamped the 3d tech for this so we'll see if it's as impactful and makes as much at the box office. I doubt it though.

Robtard

It's going to be a lazy continuation, the evil corporation is back for that mineral and the blue skins got to fight for their way of life, planet and as you said, family.

This time they're going to war on flying fishes, bro. Flying fishes.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
It's going to be a lazy continuation, the evil corporation is back for that mineral and the blue skins got to fight for their way of life, planet and as you said, family.

And there's only like 6 more sequels to go... roll eyes (sarcastic)

This time they're going to war on flying fishes, bro. Flying fishes.

HELL yeah.

BruceSkywalker
saw the trailer prior to MOM.. this looks horrible and the same ass 3d shit THAT EVERY FILM USES..

Sorry but I will not being in theaters, but will watch free of charge

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
The first one never did well because it had a particularly good or unique or interesting story. It was entirely because it had new 3d technology. But that had largely been abandoned by film makers nowadays. Same with the high frame rate movies like The Hobbit. Supposedly they've revamped the 3d tech for this so we'll see if it's as impactful and makes as much at the box office. I doubt it though.

I got the impression that the reason it was taking so long was because he was working on getting 3D without glasses. Which would be awesome. But it seems everyone was still using glasses for the 3D trailer, right?

Impediment
Dances with Smurfs 2: We're getting wet!

Kazenji
The shot of them flying over the water with those flying creatures reminded me of the old Sega game Panzer Dragoon.

jaden_2.0
I got the impression that the reason it was taking so long was because he was working on getting 3D without glasses. Which would be awesome. But it seems everyone was still using glasses for the 3D trailer, right?

The trailer I seen wasn't 3d because the movie it was attached to wasn't 3d.

Patient_Leech
^ I heard that some 2D showings got the 3D trailer so it was all blurry, heh..

Yeah, the movie looks like trash story-wise. Probably will just be total rehash. But I confess that I tend to worship cinema as a primarily visual medium, and trippy faraway planets and creatures are cool, so I can't help but give it up to James C...

Will probably want to see this on the big screen.

jaden_2.0
Not at the screening I went to. It'd be exceptionally dumb to show a 3d trailer before a 2d movie because nobody randomly takes their 3d glasses on the off chance there's 3d trailers

ares834
Reminder that Quaritch was right and did nothing wrong:

https://i.imgur.com/L5bOZ.jpg

Patient_Leech
Potential spoilers for the film, but uh it seems obvious how the dead characters will return...

https://movieweb-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/movieweb.com/avatar-the-way-of-water-trailer-reveals-dead-villain-return/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9& amp;usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251
%24s&aoh=16522585215318&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fmovieweb.com%2Favatar-the-way-of-water-trailer-reveals-dead-villain-return%2F

Ridley_Prime
The generic military villain was admittedly one of the better parts of the first film, but even bringing him back just shows how much a rehash this and the other sequels will be.

Robtard
Potential spoilers for the film, but uh it seems obvious how the dead characters will return...

https://movieweb-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/movieweb.com/avatar-the-way-of-water-trailer-reveals-dead-villain-return/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9& amp;usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251
%24s&aoh=16522585215318&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fmovieweb.com%2Favatar-the-way-of-water-trailer-reveals-dead-villain-return%2F

While he was he best part of the first film, a half decent villain. This is just stupid. Give us something new.

Patient_Leech
While he was he best part of the first film, a half decent villain. This is just stupid. Give us something new.

He's a cool actor. I enjoyed him in the Don't Breathe movies and on the TV show I saw him on, Terra Nova. So I guess on that level I'm glad to see him back.

Patient_Leech
Stephen Lang return...

This picture looks kind of terrible...

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/see-stephen-langs-return-in-avatar-2.html

Haha...

Patient_Leech
And here's an explanation of how Sigourney Weaver is returning given that her character in the first film died...

https://gizmodo.com/sigourney-weaver-avatar-2-character-kiri-navi-teenager-1849134593/amp

BruceSkywalker
will wait to watch on disney plus

Kazenji
Stephen Lang return...

This picture looks kind of terrible...

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/see-stephen-langs-return-in-avatar-2.html

Picture looks good to me, Stop looking at it on a phone.

Kazenji
James Cameron might not direct Avatar 4 & 5

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/james-cameron-might-not-direct-avatar-4-and-5-himself-exclusive/

jaden_2.0
James Cameron might not direct Avatar 4 & 5

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/james-cameron-might-not-direct-avatar-4-and-5-himself-exclusive/

Because at the current release rate he'd be 93 and 106 years old.

Kazenji
That and also means the 4 & 5 won't be as good as the other sequel's, Also Depends on who Jim hires to do them.

Patient_Leech
This just in: James Cameron is kind of an idiot...

https://screenrant.com/avatar-2-movie-runtime-james-cameron-defense-bad/amp/

The Batman was 3 hours long and was much worse for it, honestly.

jaden_2.0
Can't say movie running time bothers me so long as the pacing is right.

There's plenty 3+ hour movies that flew by. Wolf of Wall Street, The Green Mile, Schindler's List, Endgame...the list goes on

And there's plenty sub 3 hours movies that I felt every minute of. Prisoners being the one that always comes to mind because God damn that film was visually, tonally and thematically bleak.

Patient_Leech
Did you read what he said, though?

Right, he could have said something about the pacing, and "this is the ride I think audiences will want to go on," etc, because that's the sort of thing he's usually said when explaining his extended cuts. But instead he sounds like a crotchety old man fundamentally misunderstanding the difference between going to a theater and binging TV shows at home.

Kazenji

Completely disagree with The Batman, I liked every minute of it and i didn't feel bored with it.

StiltmanFTW

How long is it, exactly?

The running time of the original was 162 minutes. Which is long, yes, but not that uncommon.

Is the sequel meant to be longer than 3 hours or what?

Patient_Leech
I don't know the exact length. I think I just read somewhere it's nearly 3 hours.

The exact length isn't really the point. The point is James Cameron's odd response:

"I don't want anybody whining about length when they sit and binge-watch for eight hours ... Here's the big social paradigm shift that has to happen: it's okay to get up and go pee."

The subtext that I hear is, "eh, it's okay if you miss a scene here or there... it's not that immersive or engaging. You probably won't miss anything major. I'm a dummy that doesn't understand that people pause the TV at home." If it's okay to miss something here or there, then why not cut the length down a little for the theatrical release, and do your extended cut later? I'm pretty sure that's what he did with the first one.

Patient_Leech
I guess it's Cameron's way of admitting that the movies exist for the visuals. And to be fair, that's pretty much my main interest in them...

https://static1.colliderimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/avatar-the-way-of-water-empire-exclusive.jpeg

https://collider.com/avatar-2-way-of-water-image-underwater-navi/

StiltmanFTW
I don't know the exact length. I think I just read somewhere it's nearly 3 hours.

The exact length isn't really the point. The point is James Cameron's odd response:

"I don't want anybody whining about length when they sit and binge-watch for eight hours ... Here's the big social paradigm shift that has to happen: it's okay to get up and go pee."

The subtext that I hear is, "eh, it's okay if you miss a scene here or there... it's not that immersive or engaging. You probably won't miss anything major. I'm a dummy that doesn't understand that people pause the TV at home." If it's okay to miss something here or there, then why not cut the length down a little for the theatrical release, and do your extended cut later? I'm pretty sure that's what he did with the first one.

Maybe.

But the first one was nearly 3 hours as well, so this one has to have some real pacing problem if he gets so overly defensive over it, as you say.

Or perhaps it's no big deal, we'll see.

---
We shouldn't overanalyze stuff like this, tbh. What's the point.

Patient_Leech
Probably over analyzing, yes.

But I still find it odd coming from one of the most technically innovative filmmakers of all time.

http://cdn.funnyisms.com/b13b4126-c130-48ab-89fe-d219e4e8950f.gif

roughrider
You know, Avatar only took back the all time 'modern' box office crown because of a brief re-release in China last year. In North America, it now sits fourth all time, behind The Force Awakens, Avengers: Endgame and Spider-Man: No Way Home. China is so mercurial about what films it allows in, I think we are going to start to quantify box office success without them.

Film companies are starting to stand up to China, not bending to their will to get a release there (Spider-Man: No Way Home didn't even get released there.) It would be fascinating to see if Disney spurned China for this release, saying we don't need you to make money. (Well, wishful thinking...)

Any word from Cameron about this being a technological game changer like the first one? (Me, I think the first one was a game raiser, not a game changer.) I know he talked about trying to make a 3D movie that didn't require glasses, but no word about that in years. Avatar started the modern 3D craze but that's mostly burned out because few people want to watch in 3D at home. And he talked about shooting in High Frame Rate like Peter Jackson did for The Hobbit Trilogy, but HFR looked so awful to most people that's gone away, thankfully.

If it's not better or a bigger hit than the first one, I think it's going to look like a disappointment, Cameron waited or took too long etc.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, to me it shouldn't count unless it's done on the initial release. None of these re-release attempts to take back the title.

I remember hearing the 3D without glasses thing, too. I don't know if it happened or not. I assume not, otherwise it seems like we would have heard about it. I know people who saw the trailer in 3D were still wearing glasses. So I don't expect any major game-changing technology, other than some improved mo-cap. You can only change the game every so often. Stop motion, steady cam, cranes, green screens, CGI, bullet time, motion capture, etc. I know the big holdup was Cameron needing to perfect underwater mo-cap.

Patient_Leech
d9MyW72ELq0

BruceSkywalker
im not paying 20 bucks on this.. i will wait until feb or march when its on disney plus

Lestov16
Have fun missing out on what is clearly going to be a hitherto-unseen mind-blowing Cinematographic experience from a guy who made two of the best sequels (Aliens and T2) in cinematic history. Don't know why you're betting against this but I hope your bookie takes checks.

roughrider
d9MyW72ELq0

Still looks like all visual, no story. Or whatever story there is, it's just rehashing the first movie.

Looks even more like an all CGI movie, rather than photo realistic CGI.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, I'll be honest, the trailer didn't get me super hyped. Looks like more of the same.

But it is a more subtle, classy trailer. I like that.

I'm in for the visuals and action. Cameron is a killer action director.

Not expecting a complex story, but Cameron is a good story-teller.

It doesn't show ANY non-Motion-Capture actors, though. I assume there are some?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Lestov16
Have fun missing out on what is clearly going to be a hitherto-unseen mind-blowing Cinematographic experience from a guy who made two of the best sequels (Aliens and T2) in cinematic history. Don't know why you're betting against this but I hope your bookie takes checks.

no need for me though.. first was boring and generic.. but im sure you and others will say it a lot

Robtard
The first film is a story we've already seen with subpar acting from the lead subpar actor. It was still a blast to watch in the theaters though due to the CGI.

It also gave a a fairly memorable villain with Colonel Miles Quaritch, sure he's no Darth Vader, Hannibal Lector, Amon Goeth, Commodus or Hans Gruber, but he carried the film.

I will definitely be seeing this in the theater, you need that large screen and booming surround sound for something like this, even though I expect the story to be middling.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>