Lessons from Hollywood Films!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

steve4242
Movies are not mere entertainment. They are immensely informative and enlightening. Creativity indeed goes a long way in bringing about the willing suspension of disbelief. Here we are talking about our lessons from Hollywood in general but what are time zones in the world of fantastic cinema. Nothing I say. We have learned that -

1. Large, loft-style apartments in New York City are well within the price range of most people whether they are employed or not.

2. At least one of a pair of identical twins is born evil.

3. Should you decide to defuse a bomb, don't worry which wire to cut.
You will always choose the right one.

4. Most laptop computers are powerful enough to override communications system of any invading alien society.

5. It does not matter if you are heavily outnumbered in a fight involving martial arts - your enemies will wait patiently to attack you one by one by dancing around in a threatening manner until you have knocked out their predecessors.

6. When you turn out the light to go to bed, everything in your bedroom will still be clearly visible, just slightly bluish.

7. If you are blonde and pretty, it is possible to become a world expert on nuclear fission at the age of 22.

8. Honest and hard working policemen are traditionally gunned down three days before their retirement.

9. Rather than wasting bullets, megalomaniacs prefer to kill their archenemies using complicated machinery involving fuses, pulley systems, deadly gasses, lasers, and man-eating sharks, which will allow their captives at least 20 minutes to escape.

10. During all police investigations, it will be necessary to visit a strip club at least once.

11. It's easy for anyone to land a plane providing there is someone in the control tower to talk you down.

12. Once applied, lipstick will never rub off even while scuba diving.

13. You're very likely to survive any battle in any war unless you make the mistake of showing someone a picture of your sweetheart back home.

14. When they are alone, all foreign military officers prefer to speak to each other in English.

15. The Eiffel Tower can be seen from any window in Paris.

16. A man will show no pain while taking the most ferocious beating but will whine when a woman tries to clean his wounds.

17. If a large pane of glass is visible, someone will be thrown through it before long.

18. All bombs are fitted with electronic timing devices with large red readouts so you know exactly when they're going to go off.

19. A detective can only solve a case once he has been suspended from duty.

20. Police departments give their officers personality tests to make sure they are deliberately assigned a partner who is their total opposite.

King Kandy
locking in 5... 4...

Nemesis X
If there is one thing I learned from Hollywood, it's that they will never make even a decent game based movie. Bunch of greedy jackasses don't even slightly care for the fans of those games.

shiv
Theres always a cab when you need one

Darth Jello
21. You can be arrested for not talking to the police.
22. Torture works.
23. Defibrillators can restart your heart after it stops.
24. CPR works almost all the time and the person is almost 100% right afterward with no broken ribs or illness or disorientation.
25. Sucking out the poison from a venomous bite is a good idea.
26. A bullet wound to an extremity is nothing serious and can simply be tightly bandaged.
27. Treatment of a gunshot wound should always involve removal of the bullet.
28. Turnecates should be applied to heavy bleeding wounds.
29. All gay people, black people, asian people, jewish people, arabs, and foreigners conform to certain stereotypes.
30. All hot, tomboyish women are completely perfect, mature, self-aware, and never selfish, especially if they have deeper voices.
31. Leading people on in order to have casual sex and conducting yourself with no regards to the feelings of anyone is hip, manly, and an appropriate expression of female empowerment.
32. The human skull is harder than several inches of brick or concrete.

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by steve4242
Movies are not mere entertainment. They are immensely informative and enlightening. Creativity indeed goes a long way in bringing about the willing suspension of disbelief. Here we are talking about our lessons from Hollywood in general but what are time zones in the world of fantastic cinema. Nothing I say. We have learned that -

1. Large, loft-style apartments in New York City are well within the price range of most people whether they are employed or not.

2. At least one of a pair of identical twins is born evil.

3. Should you decide to defuse a bomb, don't worry which wire to cut.
You will always choose the right one.

4. Most laptop computers are powerful enough to override communications system of any invading alien society.

5. It does not matter if you are heavily outnumbered in a fight involving martial arts - your enemies will wait patiently to attack you one by one by dancing around in a threatening manner until you have knocked out their predecessors.

6. When you turn out the light to go to bed, everything in your bedroom will still be clearly visible, just slightly bluish.

7. If you are blonde and pretty, it is possible to become a world expert on nuclear fission at the age of 22.

8. Honest and hard working policemen are traditionally gunned down three days before their retirement.

9. Rather than wasting bullets, megalomaniacs prefer to kill their archenemies using complicated machinery involving fuses, pulley systems, deadly gasses, lasers, and man-eating sharks, which will allow their captives at least 20 minutes to escape.

10. During all police investigations, it will be necessary to visit a strip club at least once.

11. It's easy for anyone to land a plane providing there is someone in the control tower to talk you down.

12. Once applied, lipstick will never rub off even while scuba diving.

13. You're very likely to survive any battle in any war unless you make the mistake of showing someone a picture of your sweetheart back home.

14. When they are alone, all foreign military officers prefer to speak to each other in English.

15. The Eiffel Tower can be seen from any window in Paris.

16. A man will show no pain while taking the most ferocious beating but will whine when a woman tries to clean his wounds.

17. If a large pane of glass is visible, someone will be thrown through it before long.

18. All bombs are fitted with electronic timing devices with large red readouts so you know exactly when they're going to go off.

19. A detective can only solve a case once he has been suspended from duty.

20. Police departments give their officers personality tests to make sure they are deliberately assigned a partner who is their total opposite.

laughing out loud

I have my own list but it isn't as good as this one.

Mindship
A few others...

1. Bad guys can't shoot straight.
2. A woman can knock a man out with a punch, PLUS her hand won't hurt afterwards.
3. The heroine ("shero"?) will always wake up looking pretty and fresh with full make-up.
4. Run from a giant monster by running straight ahead of it, never off to the side.
5. Sound travels through space.
6. Primitive technology will inevitably defeat far more advanced technology (eg, ID4, Avatar), provided the low-tech combatants' cause is just.
7. Being knocked out means waking up later with no chance of concussion.
8. Cars driven by heroes in chase scenes have off-the-charts damage soak.
9. Women can run in heels just as well as a man in flats.
10. The Brother no longer inevitably gets killed.

tevaz87roni
really big thread

jaden101
Originally posted by tevaz87roni
really big cocks in my bottom

Really?

jinXed by JaNx
1. If you get into a gun fight there will always be a corner to take cover behind.

2. Running doesn't require oxygen.

3. Beautiful woman really don't care about physical appearances.

4. You can hold a conversation with someone while sky-diving.

5. Bullets really don't hurt all that much

6. It's always better to take matters into your own hands rather than contacting the authorities.

7. As long as you know a Martial art you can single handedly take on large groups of enemies with weapons.

8. All bad guys are intelligent and ruthless until they get the upper hand on you.

9. It's better to create an elaborate and deceitful scheme to win your girlfriend back rather than, simply talking to her and divulging your feelings.

10. Cars really don't need all four tires to drive. They drive just as well on bare rims wink

Symmetric Chaos
1. In California the laws of physics are noticeably different.

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

this is true.

i once dropped a candy bar and it hit me in the chin sad

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
...4. You can hold a conversation with someone while sky-diving...

So true.. laughing out loud

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Mindship
A few others...

1. Bad guys can't shoot straight.
Particularly Stormtroopers.

Ugly Casanova
YAWN.

What a try hard, humorless list.

Darth Jello
Chained up and tied up hostages never piss or shit

Wild Shadow
1. Hispanics can play white upper class people, ghetto people and native americans....

2. if you want to make it in hollywood, you must change ur name and change latin names so as not to be typecast.

3. body builder action stars can run indefinitely without tiring and beat streamline crackheads and latin american drug dealers/runners....

4. every ghetto hood rat is mexican have an accent and shave their heads and are all covered with tattoos. it makes it easy to single them out as criminals

5. police/detective are able to close and solve all the majority of their cases... the one that they cant will come around a few decades later right before retirement and they will close it as well..

6. all teenagers are played by 20-30 yr old short actors who look young and attractive

7. no one in the movie can see obvious fore shadowing and obvious hint that the person they are speaking with is the bad guy..... with their double meaning sentences. they only figure it out in the last ten minutes of the movie.

8. any asian can play any asian nationality

9. police can manhandle and force their way into a suspects home.... black mail them continue to ask questions and forget to read their rights.

10. if the suspect arent home cops possess both chemistry and electronic knowledge to lift finger prints with gum and pocket knife to rewire million dollar security systems.

11. bad cop good cop always works and the criminal will divulge all information. simply by the cop accusing ppl without any evidence and hauling them to jail.

12. Cops can talk to underage kids without parents or lawyers and can lead the witness and criminal without any objection and can be upheld in a court of law.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
4. every ghetto hood rat is mexican have an accent and shave their heads and are all covered with tattoos. it makes it easy to single them out as criminals Unless they just happen to be misunderstood and have a heart of gold.

Or they're Jay Hernandez.

dadudemon
2. if you want to make it in hollywood, you must change ur name and change latin names so as not to be typecast.

Maybe in the 70s or before but now it's considered an "in" to keep hispanic sounding names.

3. body builder action stars can run indefinitely without tiring and beat streamline crackheads and latin american drug dealers/runners.

You mean any main character can run indefinitely and if they are cops, they can beat down ANY drug dealer. Come off the retarded "omb! everyone hates Hispanics!"

4. every ghetto hood rat is mexican have an accent and shave their heads and are all covered with tattoos. it makes it easy to single them out as criminals

The Mexican part is not true at all. In fact, it's "any hispanic looking bad-guy is Puerto Rican or Venazualan."

And, you'll be hard pressed to find any "gangsta" without tattoos.

8. any asian can play any asian nationality

Incorrect.

I have yet to see someone originally from China play someone with an accent that's supposed to be from Japan. On top of this, you'll never see a Russian play a Chinese person. You'll never see an Indian play a Thai, and so on.

Usually what you see is someone that is from chinese origins in some way (Hong Kong, Taiwan, China), they will play characters from any of those locations.

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon

I have yet to see someone originally from China play someone with an accent that's supposed to be from Japan. On top of this, you'll never see a Russian play a Chinese person. You'll never see an Indian play a Thai, and so on.
What do you mean with this?

Wild Shadow
Maybe in the 70s or before but now it's considered an "in" to keep hispanic sounding names.

You mean any main character can run indefinitely and if they are cops, they can beat down ANY drug dealer. Come off the retarded "omb! everyone hates Hispanics!"

The Mexican part is not true at all. In fact, it's "any hispanic looking bad-guy is Puerto Rican or Venazualan."

Incorrect.

Usually what you see is someone that is from chinese origins in some way (Hong Kong, Taiwan, China), they will play characters from any of those locations.

charlie sheen..... Freddy prince jr...... (Ricky)Raviv ullman(jewish but still changed his name b/c it was too ethnic)....

Incorrect.

umm... i grew in East L.A. as a kid and i can tell you we all didnt run around with bar codes on our necks and tear drops on our face.... nor did we all shave our heads... the goal was to not look suspicious and have a small tat maybe on ur hand or somewhere you could cover. we also didnt all speak like with a mexican accent when we were born in US and spoke english.

Incorrect.

i meant american asian actors play various asian roles without actually being that race parring the most obvious ones like russians, or hindi.

for example ernie reyes jr played a hispanic columbian or amazonian fighter in the movie with the rock in the rundown.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
What do you mean with this?

If you're from China, you will not be cast as a person (in a serious role) that has a japanese accent.

The only time I've ever seen something even remotely like that happen was that one old asian dude (he was Chinese, or something) cast as a Japanese gangsta dice roller (literally) in a skit on Chappelle's show. Dave did that for comedic effect, though. Hearing an old Chinese guy say, "konichiwa, b*tches" is quite hilarious.

dadudemon
charlie sheen..... Freddy prince jr...... (Ricky)Raviv ullman(jewish but still changed his name b/c it was too ethnic)....

All examples from decades ago. Thanks for proving my pointl.

umm... i grew in East L.A. as a kid and i can tell you we all didnt run around with bar codes on our necks and tear drops on our face.... nor did we all shave our heads... the goal was to not look suspicious and have a small tat maybe on ur hand or somewhere you could cover. we also didnt speak like we were born in mexico when we were born in US and spoke english.

None of that is relevant to what I said.

i meant american asian actors play various asian roles without actually being that race parring the most obvious ones like russians, or hindi.

for example ernie reyes jr played a hispanic columbian or amazonian fighter in the movie with the rock in the rundown.

That's so rediculously non-sequitor that my head almost exploded.

You just tried to prove that asians play asians from countries they are not originally from by saying AMERICAN asian actors play asian roles with an exammple of an ASIAN actor playing a HISPANIC role?

Good job. You're on drugs.

However, Reyes is filipino...so that's like...dividing by zero and ending up with a Hispanic Asian.

Wild Shadow
ricky ullman was on the disney show and is only in his early 20's. less then a decade maybe 5 yrs...

also you got me i guess Japanese and Chinese actors arent interchangeable in movies like in the movie War and yakuza and triad gangsters

jaden101
Dirty knees, look at these.

dadudemon
ricky ullman was on the disney show and is only in his early 20's. less then a decade maybe 5 yrs...

Cause he's obviously Hispanic, right?

You actually have to make sense.

also you got me i guess Japanese and Chinese actors arent interchangeable in movies like in the movie War and yakuza and triad gangsters

Cause extras are DEFINTELY considered leading actors, take large roles, etc. etc. etc.

Good job.

Wild Shadow
i hate you... no expression

Ms.Marvel
only DDM can make a make-shift debate out a topic like this stick out tongue

its a gift 313

dadudemon
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
only DDM can make a make-shift debate out a topic like this stick out tongue

its a gift 313

Nah. It's just that he is always whining about "Hispanic this" and "Hispanic that." It gets old.

He tried to justify his position that Hispanic actors are constantly changing their Hispanic sounding names to something American by providing...get this...an example of Israeli name change. facepalm

Bardock42
I think basically the whole cast of Memoirs of a Geisha was Chinese.

Wild Shadow
I think basically the whole cast of Memoirs of a Geisha was Chinese. arent geishas suppose to be Japanese? whistle

dadudemon
I think basically the whole cast of Memoirs of a Geisha was Chinese.

It was a mixture of Japanese, Hong Kong (chinese), and Korean (and probably others.) One of the criticisms of the film was the casting.

Just the same as casting a someone from Ukraine for a Russian or pretty much any eastern European roll: The idiot american audience can't tell the difference in appearance.

Bardock42
I don't think it's a big deal, really.

dadudemon
I don't think it's a big deal, really.

But it was.

Things went as far as Xhyai (or however the eff you spell her name) getting a verbal lashing from the Chinese. It was serious business.

Ms.Marvel
Nah. It's just that he is always whining about "Hispanic this" and "Hispanic that." It gets old.

He tried to justify his position that Hispanic actors are constantly changing their Hispanic sounding names to something American by providing...get this...an example of Israeli name change. facepalm

i was messing with you stick out tongue

Wild Shadow
i was using ricky ullman to and disney executives decision to support my argument.

stating they had his name change b/c it sounded "to ethnic" it didnt matter that he was jewish. i was the one who pointed it out before i used him as an example. miffed

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

laughing out loud laughing out loud

dadudemon
i was using ricky ullman to and disney executives decision to support my argument.

I'm sorry, but it makes no sense to justify your position that Hispanic actors are constantly changing their Hispanic sounding names to something American sounding by providing an example of an Israeli name change.

stating they had his name change b/c it sounded "to ethnic" it didnt matter that he was jewish. i was the one who pointed it out before i used him as an example. miffed

We were talking about Hispanics getting the Hollywood shaft, not Jews.

Wild Shadow
i had also pointed out charlie sheen and freddy prince jr..

no expression

either way we are done here this is the wrong forum to discuss this and it is pointless you simply started this to try and start something with me by ur own admission.

dadudemon
i had also pointed out charlie sheen and freddy prince jr..

no expression

And I clearly pointed out your decades old fallacy with that, as well. You are supposed to be contradicing my point that, these days, it's become popular or even admirable to be a Hispanic actor with an obviously Hispanic name.

You're running in circles with non sequitor and retarded strawman arguments.

either way we are done here this is the wrong forum to discuss this and it is pointless you simply started this to try and start something with me by ur own admission.

Right, I started "this" to try and "start" something with you. I guess you don't remember the last time you pulled the "oh, poor Hispanic actors" card and we had a simlar discussion?

Reality: You started it and continue it by making the oddest and illogical arguments about Hispanic actors.

Rogue Jedi
Hispanics can act?

jaden101
Must've been somewhere in between Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez that Latino/Hispanic names were allowed then.

I don't understand why Jewish actors would be asked to change their names though. Aren't nearly all the production studios run by Jews?

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101

I don't understand why Jewish actors would be asked to change their names though. Aren't nearly all the production studios run by Jews?

Everything is run by the Jews on behalf of the Reptilians, ask Deano.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.