Marvel Greek Gods strength too weak?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

kbclassof09
Wasup everyone I noticed the strength levels of the marvel comics greek gods and they are too low. I think there strength levels should be class 100+ because the greek gods in myth are much stronger than their marvel counterparts. I'm going to list some of the physical feats these gods have performed.

Zeus: king of the gods and the strongest. He was able to throw mount etna on top of typhon a giant monster and son of gaia. Mount Etna has a basal circumference of 93 miles which means this was a very big mountain.

Poseidon: god of the sea. In the war of the gods and giants he threw the island of Nisyros on top of the giant polybotes. This island has a diameter of 5 miles. The highest mountain on the island is over 2000 feet high.

Athena: goddess of wisdom and daughter of zeus. She was strong enough to physically overpower the war-god Ares. In the war of the giants and gods she threw the island of sicily on top of the giant enceladus. The island of sicily is the size of Vermont! She also carried mount lycabettus to use merely as building material for a city.

Ares: god of war and bloodshed and son of zeus. He threw mount pangaeum in a river to prevent the titaness leto from giving birth to artemis and apollo.

Heracles/Hercules: strongest of all men and son of zeus. He strangled two huge serpents as a baby. Completed the 12 labors. Formed the pillars of hercules by spliting a mountain in two with one blow. Overpowered the personifcation of death. Overpowered the war-god Ares in single combat and knocked him down three times. Was able to hold up the sky for Atlas. (the sky weighs nearly 6 quadrillion tons!). Wrestled his father zeus to a standstill.

Atlas: a second generation titan strong enough to hold up the sky on his shoulders. Sky weighs 5.7 quadrillion tons.

Even some of the mortal children of the gods were physically strong.

Otus and Ephialtes: twin sons of poseidon and mortal woman were nearly 60 feet tall at nine years old. They piled mountains on top of each other to reach the gods and overthrow them. They overpowered the wargod Ares and kept him prisoner for over a year. It they had grown to their full stature they would have overthrown the gods by physical force.

Zethus and Amphion: twin sons of zeus and mortal woman. Zethus was able to lift and carry mountain tops on his shoulders to use as building material for a city. His brother amphion moved rocks twice as big by playing his lyre. Amphion would be as strong as zethus if he engaged in tasks that required physical strength.

Pollux/Polydeuces: son of zeus and mortal woman was a powerful boxer. His punches were powerful enough to defeat and kill a giant so big that his body is said to cover nine acres!

Tityus: giant son of zeus and mortal. He was so big that he could cover nine acres while laying on the ground. He was big and physically strong enough to overpower leto a titan-goddess (she too was of gigantic size) he almost raped her but he was killed by her children apollo and artemis.

Amycus: a giant son of poseidon and nymph. He was a powerful boxer who is equal to tityus in size. He was killed by pollux son of zeus in boxing match.

Theseus: son of poseidon and mortal women. His greatest feat of strength was being able to throw a giant who was so big that his bones hardened into mountain cliffs.

Amphissus: son of apollo and mortal woman. He was said to have extraordinary strength and he built his own city. Probably the same strength level as Zethus since he built his own city.

Aeetes: son of helios and nymph. He was said to be able to match the war-god Ares in his war cry and physical strength. He is able to wear the breastplate of an earthborn giant (giants tall as mountains).

Polyphemus: a cyclops and son of poseidon and nymph was strong enough to throw mountain tops into the sea at odysseus and his men.

Aeneas: a mortal son of aphrodite is stronger than human giants who are strong enough to lift and throw large fragments of mountains.

Digi
Where are you getting your info? Handbooks? They're notoriously out of synch with actual comic appearances. It's not just the gods that suffer. In any case, it's better to ignore what they're "supposed" to be and just read the comics...and that goes for any character.

darthgoober
Marvel's Greek pantheon is often downplayed powerwise, but not always. In fact I remember one instance in particular where Cupid beat the bejesus out of the entire West Coast Avengers roster(including Wonderman and the Vision).

Digi
Also, are you pulling your feats from comics or mythology? The two are not the same.

kbclassof09
I was just sayin that the greek gods should more powerful than they are in the comics. Hell even DC Greek Gods are at their appropriate power levels and they have weaknesses.

Endless Mike
Marvel's Greek gods are kind of weak but they do have some good feats. Hera was going to create a new universe.

Blanket
How the Satan did you figure out how much the sky weighed?
Unless you're going with the Sky being Earth...

vansonbee
Marvel is closer to being realistic compared to DC.

Oh I meant the gods. lol

K3VIL
I'd say except for Hercules or Zeus, who is also missing from very long time in Marvel Comics, Ares is the one who's too weak for the role he has.God of War, then he can only lift 70 tons?Durability wise he ain't even in Thor's league, I mean there are mutants stronger than him.Not much god-like at all.He's hella cool but they should make him more a powerhouse, a team wreacker..

vansonbee
Originally posted by K3VIL
I'd say except for Hercules or Zeus, who is also missing from very long time in Marvel Comics, Ares is the one who's too weak for the role he has.God of War, then he can only lift 70 tons?Durability wise he ain't even in Thor's league, I mean there are mutants stronger than him.Not much god-like at all.He's hella cool but they should make him more a powerhouse, a team wreacker.. Measurement of strength through handbook isn't very accurate. Feats trump all.

I say he around Hercules strength level. He was able to hold his ground in one of Hercules comics.

K3VIL
Originally posted by vansonbee
Measurement of strength through handbook isn't very accurate. Feats trump all.

I say he around Hercules strength level. He was able to hold his ground in one of Hercules comics.
Not at all, strength wise he can't match Hercules which if I ain't wrong now is back to his old power levels.Fighting prowess and skills are what grants Ares to hold his own with guys stronger than him, but he ain't up there in the Class 100 with Herc and Thor.Only time was when he was granted 3 times his base strength which put him with a lifting ability of 210 tons and fought Thor and still got defeated.Considering Zeus is now missing thus making the Olympus throne vacant, Ares is the rightfully successor, they should revive him and make him ruler of Olympus, now that would be cool, Ares on skyfather level.You don't wanna mess with him.

kbclassof09
Yea I always liked Ares they should make him and the other gods more powerful. Only the norse gods have the amped up abilities in the comics.

Doctor-Alvis
It's because the Norse gods are more popular and have had more time to shine.

willRules
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
It's because the Norse gods are more popular and have had more time to shine.

That's true. They're only more poplar within comics and that's due to Thor. In wider culture the Greco-Romanic Gods are not only waaaaaaaaaaaay more popular, I personally think they have much more interesting stories.

In fact in the DCU, Greek Gods are more popular.

roughrider
Originally posted by willRules
That's true. They're only more poplar within comics and that's due to Thor. In wider culture the Greco-Romanic Gods are not only waaaaaaaaaaaay more popular, I personally think they have much more interesting stories.

That may be part of a wink-wink nudge-nudge agreement between the two companies. At DC the Greek Gods get the spotlight because of Wonder Woman. That's why Stan Lee & Jack Kirby did Thor, because the Norse Gods were less exposed in pop culture at that time. DC has seemed to comply by keeping their own Thor & his pantheon in the far background.
But in the last several years, Marvel has turned up the heat with their Olympians, giving them lots of time.

Battlehammer
Hercules did not hold up the sky thats a misconception. He held very small portion of it's weight. Athen was the one who held it up.

kbclassof09
No it wasn't it was hercules all by himself holding up the sky. Athena holding it up with him was just art.

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by K3VIL
Only time was when he was granted 3 times his base strength which put him with a lifting ability of 210 tons and fought Thor and still got defeated.

For any of these measurements to be TRUE, the writers would actually have to CARE about the Marvel handbook - They DON'T. Some writers will make reference to it as an Ironic piece of humor, a kind of 4th wall wink at the reader to demonstrate their acknowledgment of the Hand books. Apart from this occasional bit of humor the HANDBOOKS have no influence upon the writers.
There isn't some kind of realism meta literature LAW, that restricts Ares to lifting 70 tons, or the Thing to 85tons. They are as strong as the writer thinks they are. The Class ratings only acts as guide to how strong the character is comparable to others. I.e. some one who is in class 70, is not going to be as strong as someone who is class 85, etc. Its like the class of Indie music; No one goes "Well because its an Indie record it must sound like Oasis... thats bullshit. The grouping of Indie, means the song shares certain traits with other records in the same class. It does not mean they share the same quantifiable properties.

The character can lift as much as they want depending on the writers interpretation !!!! Please get this into your head before u go around spouting figures like 210 tons. That Figure is meaningless. When I was a lot younger it used to really piss me off people coming up with figures like that - I'll admit i was being juvenile, actually caring about how much characters can lift, but there are those who care- and you are feeding them with credulous information !!!!!!!!!

Doctor-Alvis
Originally posted by willRules

I think it's pretty even in the Scandinavia area. That area is so metal!

I meant specifically in Marvel comics. Thor is so cool there. People like to go to his house and fight Thor's monsters, he'll come out and show people Thor tricks, etc.

-K-M-
Originally posted by kbclassof09
Zeus: king of the gods and the strongest. He was able to throw mount etna on top of typhon a giant monster and son of gaia. Mount Etna has a basal circumference of 93 miles which means this was a very big mountain.

thumb up
http://comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/45d278ai4440/prv4440_pg4.jpg

tjcoady
Originally posted by Digi
Where are you getting your info? Handbooks? They're notoriously out of synch with actual comic appearances. It's not just the gods that suffer. In any case, it's better to ignore what they're "supposed" to be and just read the comics...and that goes for any character.

Nah, Digi, he's referencing Greek myths.

tjcoady
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
For any of these measurements to be TRUE, the writers would actually have to CARE about the Marvel handbook - They DON'T. Some writers will make reference to it as an Ironic piece of humor, a kind of 4th wall wink at the reader to demonstrate their acknowledgment of the Hand books. Apart from this occasional bit of humor the HANDBOOKS have no influence upon the writers.
There isn't some kind of realism meta literature LAW, that restricts Ares to lifting 70 tons, or the Thing to 85tons. They are as strong as the writer thinks they are. The Class ratings only acts as guide to how strong the character is comparable to others. I.e. some one who is in class 70, is not going to be as strong as someone who is class 85, etc. Its like the class of Indie music; No one goes "Well because its an Indie record it must sound like Oasis... thats bullshit. The grouping of Indie, means the song shares certain traits with other records in the same class. It does not mean they share the same quantifiable properties.

The character can lift as much as they want depending on the writers interpretation !!!! Please get this into your head before u go around spouting figures like 210 tons. That Figure is meaningless. When I was a lot younger it used to really piss me off people coming up with figures like that - I'll admit i was being juvenile, actually caring about how much characters can lift, but there are those who care- and you are feeding them with credulous information !!!!!!!!!

Exactly. Character "strength" and power are as crazy or as limited as the story and the writer requires. Hercules can throw down with the Sentry in his book, and win, and then the Sentry can be presented as a threat to all of existence or something.... it's just how comics work. Story does (and should) trump what "we" think of a character's exact powers. That doesn't mean the Punisher should be fighting Galactus or anything. That'd be a terrible story. But if Superman needs to be able to hold off the Anti-Monitor for a while, and it's a cool story, then, well, that's how it works.

kbclassof09
Hey man thanks for that comic scan where do you guys find these scans are they free?

-K-M-
Originally posted by kbclassof09
Hey man thanks for that comic scan where do you guys find these scans are they free?

This scan is free as it's from a preview for the upcoming Hercules released next wednesday

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=4440&disp=table

Trackz
i dont think hercules held up the sky, didn't he hold up the heavens or whatever, not the literal sky.

kbclassof09
Yes he did he hold up Uranos aka the sky aka the heavens.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.