Does anyone here remember Valiant comics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
I feel really old now. I'm only 30 years old, though.

Yesterday, I was in my local comic shop buying the newest Savage Dragon and I engaged in comic talk with the regulars, the regulars being a lot of high school kids and younger kids, for that matter.

Bloodshot, Geomancer, The Second life of Dr. Mirage, Shadowman, Solar, Turok, Ninjak, Magnus..........

I even remember buying the bloodcurdling Image/Valiant crossover event "Deathmate".

Valiant went belly up somewhere in 1999 after a failed merge, I believe, with Acclaim Comics.

So, anyway, every one of these 18 and unders just gave me a blank stare when I mention all of this to them. One of them says, "Turok, the video game character?" I just hung my head and said yes. The only two people who knew what I was talking about were the comic shop owner and another older patron who I went to school with.

Go figure.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/Impediment/800px-Valiantuniverse.jpg

The Nuul
Imp, you old fart....oh wait, I'm 32....so am I....miffed

Yes I do remember them. Talk to kids these days about G1 Tranformers, SNES any of the classic good stuff and they will look at you funny. Valiant is far from classic or great though.

The Nuul
Solar is one of the most powerful comic characters eva!

Hes not a bad character and should be picked up by DC or Marvel.

kevdude
I remember them yeah but never readem.

Galan007
Yeah I remember buying "Magnus the Robot Fighter" when I was younger - I thought he was teh awesomest lol. "Rai" was another favorite of mine back then as well.

It was only when I got a bit older that I got into some better Valiant stuff (X-O Manowar, Solar, Doctor Mirage, etc.)

jalek moye
Yea i like their stuff. I have most of thier comics I think, my favorites are X-O Manowar and Turok.

Impediment
I used to buy Shadow Man and The Second Life of Dr. Mirage. I still have the Shadow Man issue with Aerosmith.

Doctor-Alvis
Look at that fatty on the left. What's his power? Being able to drink from two bottles at once?

Galan007
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
Look at that fatty on the left. What's his power? Being able to drink from two bottles at once? Heh, that's Armstrong (Aram) from the "Archer & Armstrong" series. The dude is immortal, nigh-invulnerable, and super strong, iirc.

steverules_2
All I got by valiant was Magnus robot fighter vs Predator

Doctor-Alvis
Originally posted by Galan007
Heh, that's Armstrong (Aram) from the "Archer & Armstrong" series. The dude is immortal, nigh-invulnerable, and super strong, iirc.
Does he always hang around in his boxers?

Galan007
Does he always hang around in his boxers? Lol, those are actually the pants he wears... You just can't fully see them in that pic. The dude is/was the 'Joe Dirt' of the comic world, though.

WickedDynamite
Wasn't Ninjak part of that Universe?

Anywhoo, the 90s are gone but if you can remember The Ultravese Comics from Malibu then you really got into the trend.

BruceSkywalker
Bloodshot, Rai, and Shadowman were my faves...

also enjoyed X-O Manowar

Endless Mike
I've read most of the Solar books

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Endless Mike
I've read most of the Solar books

he wasn't a bad character

Impediment
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
Wasn't Ninjak part of that Universe?

Anywhoo, the 90s are gone but if you can remember The Ultravese Comics from Malibu then you really got into the trend.

Yeah, I remember Ultraverse.

psycho gundam
Look at that fatty on the left. What's his power? Being able to drink from two bottles at once? the bald guy next to him is using a bed sheet as a blouse, and i think it's tucked into his crotch.

Kazenji
Did'nt really collect them when they were on the shelf at a comic shop but i did manage to find some here and there from places such as Ebay

i enjoyed Shadowman, Ninjak and Turok.

-K-M-
Yes, I read Magnus and all of Turok (Was going to make him a respect thread...but got lazy).

Originally posted by steverules_2
All I got by valiant was Magnus robot fighter vs Predator

I got that too, makes the Predator go blind in the end.

Digi
There's a chick riding a giant raptor in the back of that pic. Awesome.

AsbestosFlaygon
I loved reading the Solar issues, but never really got into any of Valiant releases.

Martian_mind
I got an old Shadowman comic from the market when I was like, 8.

I remember being wowed by the awesomeness of his leather jacket, the fact that he banged a chick and played the saxophone, and I was pleasantly surprised when the villian kicked his ass ( being 8 at the time I was still under the impression that the hero always wins the fight at the end)

dmills
Ahh the good old days. X-O Manowar. Never got into any of the other stuff. I still love the Ultraverse. Attalon is still the baddest villian ever IMO. Think WWH/Graviton amalgam.

Blinky
Valiant had some good titles , but I got way into Turok, read some X-O and Bloodshot. Very good underground comics.

Axon
Hell yes I remember Valiant - Harbinger #1-25 is one of the best story arcs I've ever read, and not just in an independent run. It beats almost every X-Men story ever told.

I still have a number of Valiant books, including the entirety of the X-O Manowar, all of the original Harbinger run before they changed the team, Unity, and Magnus: Robot Fighter. Too bad these books have so severely depreciated in value. 16 years after first reading it, I still have fond memories of Sting vs. Harada.

Kazenji
Alot of the Valiant titles are coming back thanks to Dark Horse

Jim Shooter is the writer and first up is Doctor Solar

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/16-966/Doctor-Solar-Man-of-the-Atom-1-Michael-Komarck-cover

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.