When do you think Luke should have been told the truth?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Anakin_the_Hutt
Do you think that Luke should ever have known that Darth Vader was his father?

queeq
Yes. Because that was the point of the OT.

overlord
Originally posted by queeq
Yes. Because that was the point of the OT. too easy cool

Anakin_the_Hutt
I think the point of the original trilogy was to kill Darth Vader, the Emperor and rid the galaxy of the evil Empire.

If Obi-Wan and Yoda had their way, they wouldn't have told Luke anything except "kill the dude that killed your father".

I don't see how Luke's training would've been tainted if he had been told the truth. If anything, revenge wouldn't have been a factor.

Instead of being trained to be a killing tool, the truth might've given him a better understanding of what it means to be a Jedi.

steverules_2
He wasn't told before because thats what George Lucas decided

/thread

queeq
As always.

Anakin_the_Hutt
I don't think anyone is disputing who made the picture and I'm pretty sure the reason the movies came out the way they did IS because it was what George Lucas decided.

What I'm asking essentially is if you agree with the truth being kept from Luke.

I understand the concept of protecting his identity - but not when he was was tapped by the Jedi. That's me. Anyone agree?

steverules_2
no

queeq
laughing out loud

InfernoJG95
Lol what if luke managed to kill vader on bespin and returned to dagobah and yoda revealed the truth and lukes like nooooooo

mossman
laughing out loud
Anyway, I always though Yoda explained all this when Luke returned to Dagobah in ROTJ...

queeq
He did.

roughrider
Maybe when he officially finished his training. Yoda & Obi Wan didn't think he was ready, for the burden of what he had to face.

Sith Master X
You can tell that as George wrote and directed ANH, it was originally intended to be a stand alone film. I don't buy into the crap when he said it was originally like what....9 movies?

I don't think it was Lucas' original idea to have Vader be Luke's father. That was something he spun to give the series a great twist and plot point.

queeq
It was an idea Lucas and Kurtz played with. And even set up. In ROTJ Luke was supposed to defeat Vader but not the Emperor. Leia would return to the remainder of her people and Luke would go in search of his twin sister. In the end he would defeat the Emperor.... So there was a bigger plan, but Lucas went for a short cut.

And yes, it was always to be a movie about a father and a son. Just read the Journal of the Whills... That was clearly one aspect Lucas was on to from the beginning.

Anakin_the_Hutt
Originally posted by InfernoJG95
Lol what if luke managed to kill vader on bespin and returned to dagobah and yoda revealed the truth and lukes like nooooooo Exactly. That's my point. They were just using Luke. What do you say to Luke then? "Yeah, sorry 'bout that - but you may not have wanted to if you knew...or worse, come up with some crazy plan to SAVE him. Now go kill the Emperor."

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Sith Master X
You can tell that as George wrote and directed ANH, it was originally intended to be a stand alone film. I don't buy into the crap when he said it was originally like what....9 movies?

I don't think it was Lucas' original idea to have Vader be Luke's father. That was something he spun to give the series a great twist and plot point.

I'm pretty sure Lucas had that idea in his head the whole time. Even with the prequels. but IV came first (well not really till it was a success was it called IV ) initally it was just star wars and if the movie flopped that would of been it, but it was such a huge success they continued with the story.
YAH!!!!

Anakin_the_Hutt
So what did Uncle Owen mean when he said he was afraid that Luke had too much of his father in him? Why did Obi-Wan recoil and take a moment to "remember" how Luke's father died? You SERIOUSLY think George Lucas was lying when he said he invisioned Star Wars as a saga? The fact of the matter is that the Jedi are no better than the Sith. They both believe the end justifies the means. Look at what they did to Luke...he was a tool. If he failed, they'd just "enlist" his sister...by feeding her a bunch of BS too.

queeq
Well yes, the PT did kinda ruin the Jedi...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.