Tolkien on the Hobbit

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bluesteel
Hey, I don't remember where and when, but I think I once heard something about Tolkien's intentions with the Hobbit. I am well aware of his distaste for allegory and such, and that he liked a good story above anything, no fooling around with hidden meanings and what not.

Anyway I am writing about the Hobbit in school, and I need to make a foot note about what I just wrote and that being that Tolkien only wanted the Hobbit to be a children's story about a Hobbit and nothing else.

Have you heard anything in that regard? please tell me and tell me where, a link, or something to the source would be great, I got the letters of Tolkien here, but you know I do not have time to go trough all those just to find that one letter for my footnote, so please any help would be of great help.

Thanks a lot.

Quincy
Dont be lazy. Go through his letters. They are all interesting stuff anyways.

Bluesteel
Thats the point, I dont know if it's in the letters or not, I simply don't have time to go trough all the material regardding Tolkien and his works, I was simply wondering if anyone here KNEW for certain about the thing I asked, I did not want anyone to go look for something if they did not know or want to.

Thanks for your help.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.