Consciousness May be Possible During a Coma (for some)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/NEJMoa0905370

This test included measurement for responses to imagery and communication tasks. 5 out of the 54 test subjects showed some sort of awareness with one of them giving a definitive "yes" and "no."

I hope we can get to the point of giving some sort of life back to comatose patients, even if that only happens for 1 out of 54 patients.

Also consider (I didn't read the entire journal entry) that brain function reduces on a time duration function of "un-use." Basically, the longer in the comatose state, the crappier the brain gets. I'd be interested to see if people recently entering comas, exhibit better communication or consciousness markers.

overlord
yep I've heard some comatose people actually remember hearing parts of conversations near their beds =)

Robtard
So farting on a comatose for a laugh is now out of the question?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
So farting on a comatose for a laugh is now out of the question?

You have a 1 in 54 chance of farting on someone with measurable consciousness.

You'd definitely lose the civil suit if he or she was aware and unable to waft.

inimalist
interesting article, we are actually discussing it in a seminar I'm taking

I'll do a serious post, but I'm going to need some time on it, as this is some cutting edge stuff mixed with some original (partially tested) ideas of mine.

give me a PM in a couple days if I haven't mr ddm, if you don't mind.

A quick summary: hasn't ruled out the possibility of an incredibly robust bottom-up system for responses, which is different than conscious awareness.

lord xyz
Originally posted by overlord
woah, where'd you come from?

Robtard
Originally posted by lord xyz
woah, where'd you come from?

Probably his mother's vagina.

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
interesting article, we are actually discussing it in a seminar I'm taking

I'll do a serious post, but I'm going to need some time on it, as this is some cutting edge stuff mixed with some original (partially tested) ideas of mine.

give me a PM in a couple days if I haven't mr ddm, if you don't mind.

A quick summary: hasn't ruled out the possibility of an incredibly robust bottom-up system for responses, which is different than conscious awareness.

I certainly will.

And, I look forward to your take on this.

Mindship
Forget the coma. I'm still wondering if consciousness is possible for a lot of people walking around, driving, doing their usual business.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.