Third Riddick Movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
Vin Diesel Confirmed for Third Riddick

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=63280

dadudemon
Cool.

I look forward to this.

It had better not be a flash back. That'd be stupid.

Now, all we need is a second Equilibrium. Then I'll be set for life.

Alpha Centauri
When your career fails, fall back and make a trilogy based on the one good movie you've ever been.

Ahh, Hollywood.

-AC

KingD19
They're supposed to be visiting what's left of Furya, and going to the Necromonger homeworld I believe.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
When your career fails, fall back and make a trilogy based on the one good movie you've ever been.

Ahh, Hollywood.

-AC

Well, to be fair, Vin had always planned on Riddick being a trilogy.

I'll look forward to this one as long as it continues the Riddick story from where, Chronicles left off. I do, however, hope that the movie is made with more practical effects than CGI. I think, Pitch Black is a great Sci-Fi flick and even though, Chronicles of Riddick turned out to be a, B movie it teetered on the cusp on quality and at times showed great potential. I certainly think the series deserves one more shot. I'm just not sure that there is a large enough audience out there for this to be a success.

jaden101

Ahh, Hollywood.

-AC

Saving Private Ryan and Boiler Room were good too. Even if he was a minor character in both of them.

Kazenji
He's also got Hannibal the conqueror coming which i see he's the director for it

wonder how that will turn out with him in the directors chair.

darthmaul1
WHAT'S the point? the 2nd movie sucked so will the 3rd

dadudemon
Originally posted by darthmaul1

The second movie was good. The third will be great.

MildPossession
Not too excited but will definitely see it, LOVE Pitch Black, didn't think much of Chronicles. But yeah, it has been a planned trilogy for some years now.

Kazenji
Originally posted by dadudemon
The second movie was good. .

Agreed, Regardless of what most movie critics said about it.

Kazenji
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=63383

Ms.Marvel
... so what happened to him being lord of the necromongers?

Kazenji
I suppose they could do another animated movie to fill in the gaps.

Juk3n

Ahh, Hollywood.

-AC

Lol at Vin having a failed career, numerous number 1 box office movies, multi millionaire, global superstar. Wake Up!

dadudemon
Originally posted by Kazenji
Agreed, Regardless of what most movie critics said about it.

That's cause you're awesome and have superb taste in film. big grin

jaden101
They really need to just forget all that Furyan and Necromonger nonsense and get back to him just being a bad ass murderer murdering people in a bad ass way.

K.Diddy
I suppose they could do another animated movie to fill in the gaps.

confused There's a riddick animated movie?

Kazenji
Yeah they did one before

slots in between Pitch Black and Chronicles.

K.Diddy
Yeah they did one before

slots in between Pitch Black and Chronicles.

blink Never heard of it

Kazenji
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Riddick:_Dark_Fury

Kazenji
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65820

kava_kava
riddickulous

Robtard
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65820

"Betrayed by his own kind and left for dead on a desolate planet, Riddick (Diesel) fights for survival against alien predators and becomes more powerful and dangerous than ever before. Soon bounty hunters from throughout the galaxy descend on Riddick only to find themselves pawns in his greater scheme for revenge. With his enemies right where he wants them, Riddick unleashes a vicious attack of vengeance before returning to his home planet of Furya to save it from destruction."

So I take it it's a prequel? "Riddickulous", indeed.

the ninjak
I can't wait.....I love Riddick! eek!

roughrider
Originally posted by the ninjak
I can't wait.....I love Riddick! eek!

You'll be waiting a long time, then.

Shey Tapani
I like the world and the character.

The second movie?

Not so much.

flying shadow
it sounds more like Pitch black, so it should be alright

K.Diddy
erm I'm halfway through the second one at the moment, I just cant get into it

iceman24567
Pitch black was better less corny moments

flying shadow
yeah Pitch black was legitimatly solid; chronicals had decent battle scenes, but i was not feelin' the story that much

hopefully this new one gets back to the roots of what made Pitch Black so good

Mindset
Pitch Black was great, heads and shoulders over Chronicles.

Bicnarok
Originally posted by K.Diddy
confused There's a riddick animated movie?

yeh its quite good actually, check out some torrent sites for it.

CrazyEli
Great news!

Thx.

luke1796
WOW - It's about time!!!

The Riddick films were all good, but a lot has to do with the character Riddick.

Any idea when it will come out? 2013?

dorramide7
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Well, to be fair, Vin had always planned on Riddick being a trilogy.

I'll look forward to this one as long as it continues the Riddick story from where, Chronicles left off. I do, however, hope that the movie is made with more practical effects than CGI. I think, Pitch Black is a great Sci-Fi flick and even though, Chronicles of Riddick turned out to be a, B movie it teetered on the cusp on quality and at times showed great potential. I certainly think the series deserves one more shot. I'm just not sure that there is a large enough audience out there for this to be a success.
He's also got Hannibal the conqueror coming which i see he's the director for it

wonder how that will turn out with him in the directors chair.

FreAk10710
hes already filming it! as i heard on his FB page and Twitter. I hope its gona be good!

Esau Cairn
The thing is...Pitch Black was always ever meant to be a stand alone B-grade sci-fi flick. Diesel wasn't even the main star & still a relative unknown when he played the prisoner in transport.

It was a small fanbase after the release of Pitch Black that people wanted to know more about Riddick, his past exploits & future adventures.

neo010
Originally posted by darthmaul1

don't say like that....
who knows , maybe the 3rd movie is more better than 1st or event than 2nd movie.

Kazenji
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=72573

srankmissingnin
Pitch Black was conceptually like Aliens... while Chronicles of Riddick was like Flash Gorden mixed with David Lynch's Dune. Who in their right mind fallows up a great low budget sci-fi creature feature with a grandiose B-Movie cheese fest? Chronicles of Riddick is worse than the second Highlander movie, they should forget everything that happened and have Ol'Riddick kill some monsters.

The synopses sounds better than the last film... but I wish they would stop trying to turn Riddick into Luke Skywalker and ignore this Furian BS. Riddick was a better character when he was just a badass who traded 20 menthol cools for a shine job, before the extended canon and the second movie retcon'd it.

mardook
David Twohy's script for Pitch Black is essentially Alien 3. He did write a script for Alien 3.

Mindset
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Pitch Black was conceptually like Aliens... while Chronicles of Riddick was like Flash Gorden mixed with David Lynch's Dune. Who in their right mind fallows up a great low budget sci-fi creature feature with a grandiose B-Movie cheese fest? Chronicles of Riddick is worse than the second Highlander movie, they should forget everything that happened and have Ol'Riddick kill some monsters.

The synopses sounds better than the last film... but I wish they would stop trying to turn Riddick into Luke Skywalker and ignore this Furian BS. Riddick was a better character when he was just a badass who traded 20 menthol cools for a shine job, before the extended canon and the second movie retcon'd it. I liked Chronicles, not that is was anywhere as good as PB, nor does it really make sense that it is it's sequel, but I like Riddick. big grin

tarand
These things looked pretty good, and some that I can learn, and I hope to learn more on it!

elfirrepins
Here's my take on what I think the third movie will be...

He turns his back on the Necromongers and tells them to "live their own life". He then goes on his own journey after finding out who he is. Eventually he finds his way to Furya, where he starts learning more about his people. Meanwhile, Vaako seizes this opportunity to take control of the Necromonger throne.

Vaako resurrects Kira (Jack), and he grows fond of her. Thandie Newton's character (she was too sexy for me to remember her character name) get jealous. In the end, Vaako tries to destroy Furya and Riddick, Kira and Thandie's character try to kill each other, and all hell breaks loose. After the smoke clears, Riddick and Kira on the verge of death, and Kira tries to comfort him. Riddick dies, and Kira gets saved by an incoming mercenary vessel.

That's how I think it'll go. Now I know for a fact it'll go differently lol.

Kazenji
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=78040

roughrider
sleeping

Kazenji
Hows the sleep?

Lord Shadow Z

The synopses sounds better than the last film... but I wish they would stop trying to turn Riddick into Luke Skywalker and ignore this Furian BS. Riddick was a better character when he was just a badass who traded 20 menthol cools for a shine job, before the extended canon and the second movie retcon'd it.

I somewhat agree, I only saw them both for the first time a short time ago and the difference in tone is telling, far enjoyed Pitch Black more although I thought the concepts in the second and the general look and breadth of the film was amazing. I would definitely give a third film a look, just to see what happen's to Nick Chinlund's character, Toombs. He always plays scumbags! big grin

roughrider
Hows the sleep?

Fine. I'm not staying awake, waiting for this to happen. wink

nimbus006
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
I somewhat agree, I only saw them both for the first time a short time ago and the difference in tone is telling, far enjoyed Pitch Black more although I thought the concepts in the second and the general look and breadth of the film was amazing. I would definitely give a third film a look, just to see what happen's to Nick Chinlund's character, Toombs. He always plays scumbags! big grin

I'm kind of on the same boat here. While I thought PB was a much better movie, there's some sort of cheesy rewatch value in Chronicles that makes me stay tuned everytime it's on. I guess I can say the same for PB, but not the extent of COR. I think I've seen Chronicles like 20 times as opposed to PB which I've probably seen about half that. Must be the cheesy dialogue, and "grandiose" set pieces that capture me.

"I bow to no man", Are you kidding me? How cool would it be to be able to deliver that line and then actually back it up by thrashing one of the guys "best", lol.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by nimbus006
I'm kind of on the same boat here. While I thought PB was a much better movie, there's some sort of cheesy rewatch value in Chronicles that makes me stay tuned everytime it's on. I guess I can say the same for PB, but not the extent of COR. I think I've seen Chronicles like 20 times as opposed to PB which I've probably seen about half that. Must be the cheesy dialogue, and "grandiose" set pieces that capture me.

"I bow to no man", Are you kidding me? How cool would it be to be able to deliver that line and then actually back it up by thrashing one of the guys "best", lol.

I just loved the costumes and the general style of the Necromonger order, if ever a live action Warhammer 40k comes out those would be excellent concepts for chaos soldiers. I mean this helmet kicks ass...

Thoren
I liked Pitch Black, hated Chronicles, I couldn't even stay awake for most of the movie every time I saw it. Hopefully this one will be better. I like Vin, he's a good action hero.

Patient_Leech
I am extremely excited to finally hear that the next Riddick film is getting underway. I've been hoping for a sequel since The Chronicles of Riddick came out in 2004. If they're still thinking of this as a trilogy (with Pitch Black as "the Hobbit" of the series), then I wish they'd go ahead and film the next two back-to-back. They'd save money that way, anyway.

Personally, I don't understand all the hatred for the second movie. Is it much more over-the-top? Yes, is there some cheesy material and some bad one-liners? Yes. But if you watch the Director's Cut (as opposed to the Theatrical version), then a lot of that is kept to a minimum and it's a fun kind of grown-up mythology and good parody of religion. Besides, i REALLY like the actress who plays Kyra, Alexa Davalos. I think she's an awesome actress. I've seen her in some other stuff, too. I hope she returns.

<<---- Anywhoo... as you can see, I'm a big fan.. ;p

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Personally, I don't understand all the hatred for the second movie. Is it much more over-the-top? Yes, is there some cheesy material and some bad one-liners? Yes.

I don't think it's hate so much it's just that the tone of the 1st differed a lot from the 2nd. 1st was survival horror whereas the second was a full-blown sci-fi adventure and it just seemed like a big jump.

Like I've said I preferred PB but found the scope and the concepts of the second to be amazing. Other than that there were complaints that it was following 'the chosen one' cliche that a lot of fantasy/sci-fi films use and while I vaguely noticed it while watching it didn't spoil it for me, probably because I was still amazed by the visuals. big grin

Would be very interested to see how it continues...maybe Riddick will strike out on his own again.

Patient_Leech
I don't think it's hate so much it's just that the tone of the 1st differed a lot from the 2nd. 1st was survival horror whereas the second was a full-blown sci-fi adventure and it just seemed like a big jump.

Like I've said I preferred PB but found the scope and the concepts of the second to be amazing.

I don't think anyone would have wanted them to make another survival story on the same planet, blah, blah, blah... like sequels usually do. Twohy himself said that that would have been a lack of imagination. And they obviously had more planned for the Riddick universe. And yeah, the scope of the film is great. I'm thrilled that there's a more adult Star Wars of sorts. The mythology of a sort of 'chosen one' is overdone for sure, but the 'hero's path' is also the most satisfying to the human psyche. Just ask Joseph Campbell.. haha. stick out tongue

Does anybody know if they've started filming yet? I read articles saying that they would start this summer (assuming Vin worked for scale). But IMDB still says it's in pre-production..

Lord Shadow Z
I don't think anyone would have wanted them to make another survival story on the same planet, blah, blah, blah... like sequels usually do. Twohy himself said that that would have been a lack of imagination. And they obviously had more planned for the Riddick universe. And yeah, the scope of the film is great. I'm thrilled that there's a more adult Star Wars of sorts. The mythology of a sort of 'chosen one' is overdone for sure, but the 'hero's path' is also the most satisfying to the human psyche.

Yeah, you're right, it had to change tack to move on conceptually and I think it did it... maybe a bit too fast but it certainly managed to. I can't wait for what they do, maybe show more of the Necromongers and we'll also have to see where Riddick goes from here. Whatever it is I hope they keep the continuity with Urban and Newton possibly returning - give the movie more options.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, you're right, it had to change tack to move on conceptually and I think it did it... maybe a bit too fast but it certainly managed to.

Well, you know there IS a short animated feature that bridges the gap between Pitch Black and Chronicles. It's called Dark Fury. It's done by Peter Chung, who's a really creative animator. It's good.

Whatever it is I hope they keep the continuity with Urban and Newton possibly returning - give the movie more options.

That reminds me of something I've been wondering about. I will say that I don't worry about them making it work, because they are very precious about the character and the story and are very careful to get it right (so I trust they will); however, since they are taking a budget cut to make it R-rated, I wonder if the story will follow the same arch as before. They originally said that Pt.2 would be a trip to the Underverse and Pt.3 would be Riddick returning to his homeworld, Furya. And from what I've read, it sounds like they're not going to the Underverse anymore. Perhaps that would require a larger budget. And I think I read somewhere that there would be a trip to Furya in Pt.2. They keep saying it's gonna be more scaled down, like Pitch Black. Which is fine. But anyway, I just wonder if they've had to change much from their original plan. Probably not much use in speculating because we won't know for a while probably, heh...

(btw, I just re-read the novelization of Pitch Black. So good!)

Kazenji
New concept art

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=42201

Patient_Leech
New concept art

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=42201

Hell yeah, sir!! Thank you for sharing that!! It looks like I Am Legend a little bit, with man's best friend there with him.. haha

Patient_Leech
I don't remember if this concept art was ever posted.. i think it's badass:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/44798/david-twohy-talks-third-riddick-film

And this one is the one that Vin posted on his Facebook a long time ago..

http://riddick-3-movie-trailer.blogspot.com/

Lord Shadow Z
Well, you know there IS a short animated feature that bridges the gap between Pitch Black and Chronicles. It's called Dark Fury. It's done by Peter Chung, who's a really creative animator. It's good.

That reminds me of something I've been wondering about. I will say that I don't worry about them making it work, because they are very precious about the character and the story and are very careful to get it right (so I trust they will); however, since they are taking a budget cut to make it R-rated, I wonder if the story will follow the same arch as before. They originally said that Pt.2 would be a trip to the Underverse and Pt.3 would be Riddick returning to his homeworld, Furya. And from what I've read, it sounds like they're not going to the Underverse anymore. Perhaps that would require a larger budget. And I think I read somewhere that there would be a trip to Furya in Pt.2. They keep saying it's gonna be more scaled down, like Pitch Black. Which is fine. But anyway, I just wonder if they've had to change much from their original plan. Probably not much use in speculating because we won't know for a while probably, heh...

(btw, I just re-read the novelization of Pitch Black. So good!)

Never knew about Dark Fury, I'll look into that; might fill a few gaps!

Well the plot description IMDB has says he will be going back to Furya and if so it could lead to some new developments. But if they do that then I'm sure it'll be every bit as grandoise as the second and it will be interesting to see Riddicks 'homeworld' and what exactly takes him there. I just love Riddicks animalistic, and dangerous personality (best seen when he stares down the beast in the jail) and I hope they play on that too and bring back the bounty hunter Toombs, who was so inept its funny.

Patient_Leech
I actually kinda hope Toombs comes back, too. He's good comic relief, which plays well opposite Riddick's stoic ass. In the movie Toombs is of course left in the cage between the two hellhounds and it's ambiguous as to whether he survived, but if I remember correctly from the book, he gets mauled and eaten a bit more violently (Damn, I wish Chronicles wasn't PG-13. erm There's some much more gruesome parts in the book that I think they actually shot or at least prepared and intended to shoot, but got changed for whatever reason...) I dunno, might be kinda cheesy if he comes back, though. Maybe have him show up for a brief while for some humor and then have him get suddenly and violently slaughtered.. haha.. that would work!

I really hope Kyra comes back, though. I think she's a great actress, Alexa Davalos. great vulnerability, but still powerful. It'd be a real shame if she's not in it. I actually watched a few other movies because she was in them (Feast of Love, The Mist, and Clash of the Titans was terrible, but she's in it). Okay, so MAYBE I have a little bit of a boyish crush... so SUE me.. heh love

Patient_Leech
Uh... wtf concept art, haha..

http://moviecultists.com/2010/05/24/new-concept-art-for-upcoming-riddick-flick-is-cool-alien-y/fierce/

Kazenji
New Story And Character Details

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=44102

Lord Shadow Z
New Story And Character Details

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=44102

That's good news, the primal aspect of Riddick is definitely his main characteristic. In COR you generally only see it come out when he enters the prison and is once more among people like him. Not as cool or dangerous as him though. big grin

Patient_Leech
Nice find. I read a script review a many months ago and it said pretty much the same stuff. Some things might have been adjusted since then, though. I skipped the "spoiler" section on that moviehole page. Figure I should save some stuff for a surprise. heh. It will definitely be fun to see what faces start popping up for the other roles!! I think the movies have been cast really well to this point. And casting is very important, I think.

Mindset
I have high hopes for this film.

Manofwords
Big fan of Pitch Black but the sequel was a bloated mess... don't hold high hopes for the third I have to be honest.

Kazenji
New concept art

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=45780

killing someone??

Patient_Leech
Ah, yeah, I didn't know what was going on there, but you might be right. It does kind of look like he's brutally killing someone.. haha! Yeah, Vin posted it on Facebook. God-f**king-d@mn I can't wait for this movie!!!

I watched one of the Fast and the Furious movies on TV last night just so I could pretend he was Riddick.. haha.

I wish IMDB would update the page.. it sounds like they're filming now. Vin said the first stop in is Canada, which is where they filmed a lot of Chronicles. Or maybe that's just the schedule and they still haven't started yet...

quanchi112
I actually liked the second movie more than the first by far. I am happy they are expanding the mythos. I wanted more necromongers but I'm content with what I saw from part 2.

Mindset
Originally posted by quanchi112
I actually liked the second movie more than the first by far. I'm gonna smack you.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Mindset
I'm gonna smack you. Lord marshal is cooler than Riddick can ever hope to be. I sobbed when Riddick cruelly killed the hero of the flick.

Robtard
This still being done as a prequel to Pitch Black, ie before Chronicles turned a decent character to complete shit?

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
This still being done as a prequel to Pitch Black, ie before Chronicles turned a decent character to complete shit?

Uh, come again? Are you asking if this new film they're working on will be a prequel to Pitch Black? No, it never was planned as that. The prequel to Pitch Black is the first video game, I believe. Escape From Butcher Bay. The new film will pick up where Chronicles left off (more or less).

And yeah, I really don't understand the hate towards The Chronicles of Riddick. The character didn't change. They're very precise about keeping the character the way it should be. It's a different kind of movie from Pitch Black (sci-fi/horror/drama). It's more of a sci-fi/action/adventure. The only flaw of Chronicles was that they had to go PG-13.

But those days are over now.. thank Jebus. big grin

Mindset
I liked Chronicles, but Pitch Black was much better.

quanchi112
I'd like to see a spin off the Chronicles of Lord Marshal.

Mindset
lol

Robtard
Uh, come again? Are you asking if this new film they're working on will be a prequel to Pitch Black? No, it never was planned as that. The prequel to Pitch Black is the first video game, I believe. Escape From Butcher Bay. The new film will pick up where Chronicles left off (more or less).

And yeah, I really don't understand the hate towards The Chronicles of Riddick. The character didn't change. They're very precise about keeping the character the way it should be. It's a different kind of movie from Pitch Black (sci-fi/horror/drama). It's more of a sci-fi/action/adventure. The only flaw of Chronicles was that they had to go PG-13.

But those days are over now.. thank Jebus. big grin

Someone had posted a synopsis early last year in here and it implied the next Riddick film would be a prequel (ie before planet/people Furyan was destroyed), hence my fvcking question. "Is it still planned on being a prequel?"

Probably because Chronicles was a shitty action movie and Riddick went from being some bad-ass killer to hero of the galaxy. An R rating wouldn't have helped Chronicles all that much, some more blood and gore can't help a flawed story and writing.

Patient_Leech
Someone had posted a synopsis early last year in here and it implied the next Riddick film would be a prequel (ie before planet/people Furyan was destroyed), hence my fvcking question. "Is it still planned on being a prequel?"

Okay, fair enough. I had never heard that, though. Don't think that was ever a part of the official plan, and I've followed this series for quite a while. Perhaps the sequels would include some back story/prequel type material. Maybe that's the confusion. I don't remember. The original plan, though, was Chronicles (1), visit the Underverse (2), and then return to Furya (3).

Probably because Chronicles was a shitty action movie and Riddick went from being some bad-ass killer to hero of the galaxy. An R rating wouldn't have helped Chronicles all that much, some more blood and gore can't help a flawed story and writing.

Well, as you may recall in Pitch Black, he went from bad-ass killer to hero of Imam and Jack. So they didn't really change anything, just beefed it up a bit. And in my opinion they beefed it up with some interesting themes... faith vs. religion, ethnocentrism vs. worldcentrism (universe-centrism, heh).. that kind of thing. I find that stuff interesting. But they did turn it into a bit more of an esoteric sci-fi mythology, and I can see how that might turn some people off. Some of that can feel a little goofy (like with the Elementals). But I can look past that. It's like Star Wars for grown ups, I f**kin' love it. No Ewaks 'n shit.. lol.

Patient_Leech
I'd like to see a spin off the Chronicles of Lord Marshal.

That would probably consist of him jerkin' himself off for 2 straight hours... haha. laughing out loud

Robtard
Okay, fair enough. I had never heard that, though. Don't think that was ever a part of the official plan, and I've followed this series for quite a while. Perhaps the sequels would include some back story/prequel type material. Maybe that's the confusion. I don't remember. The original plan, though, was Chronicles (1), visit the Underverse (2), and then return to Furya (3).

Well, as you may recall in Pitch Black, he went from bad-ass killer to hero of Imam and Jack. So they didn't really change anything, just beefed it up a bit. And in my opinion they beefed it up with some interesting themes... faith vs. religion, ethnocentrism vs. worldcentrism (universe-centrism, heh).. that kind of thing. I find that stuff interesting. But they did turn it into a bit more of an esoteric sci-fi mythology, and I can see how that might turn some people off. Some of that can feel a little goofy (like with the Elementals). But I can look past that. It's like Star Wars for grown ups, I f**kin' love it. No Ewaks 'n shit.. lol.

Link is in the 1-2 page, iirc.

Pretty sure it was implied he saved them to further his own ends. It wasn't until Chronicles that we get the hero-Riddick who is selfless.

Esau Cairn

Like OR hate Chronicles...what everyone has to understand is that Pitch Black was only ever meant to be a B-grade, small budget sci-fi thriller. Diesel wasn't even marketed as the star of the movie.

It was a one-off movie that was made with no sequels in mind.
Having said that, it was a fan base for the character of Riddick & Vin's growing popularity as an action actor that made way for Chronicles.

I personally enjoyed Chronicles without having to compare it to Pitch Black. The Furyans, the Underverse, faith, religion, fantasy all rolled into one sci fi movie.

It was a pleasant change to see a sci-fi flick with dark gothic undertones compared to the pretty sparkly lights of Star Trek.

Robtard
I disagree, Pitch Black while low-budget in comparison, was a solid Sci-Fi. Simple story, good monsters and a few good characters.

I don't think Chronicles brought anything really new to us; that's fine, if the movie had been good.

Patient_Leech
I think I see now where you might have thought it was a prequel. The synopsis says, "Betrayed by his own kind and left for dead..." or something like that. But I'm pretty sure it's referring to the Necromongers as his kind. Not the Furyans. Because he killed their leader and become one of them (so to speak).

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Like OR hate Chronicles...what everyone has to understand is that Pitch Black was only ever meant to be a B-grade, small budget sci-fi thriller. Diesel wasn't even marketed as the star of the movie.

It was a one-off movie that was made with no sequels in mind.
Having said that, it was a fan base for the character of Riddick & Vin's growing popularity as an action actor that made way for Chronicles

That's true, Twohy himself has said something like that. People asked if he had sequels in mind during the filming of Pitch Black and he said he was just trying to get through an incredibly tough shoot and sequels weren't on his mind. Buuuuut... I still think he must have had some ideas a brewin' from the beginning about where this character might go. He's a writer, and I'm sure he's always looking ahead.

I dunno, though. That's really just speculation on my part. *shrug*

Robtard
I think I see now where you might have thought it was a prequel. The synopsis says, "Betrayed by his own kind and left for dead..." or something like that. But I'm pretty sure it's referring to the Necromongers as his kind. Not the Furyans. Because he killed their leader and become one of them (so to speak).

This is what lead me to conclude a prequel was in the works:"before returning to his home planet of Furya to save it from destruction."

That's implies it's a prequel as The Lord Marshal had already obliterated Furya and the Furyans (except for Riddick and his blond boy-toy) in order to stop the prophecy that a Furyan would end him.

Patient_Leech
Ah, I do indeed see the confusion now. In fact, you've managed to confuse ME a little. heh. But I think that's just saying he's finally returning to his home planet for the first time. Meaning the Necromongers have left him for dead on a planet, then he has to go to his home planet to save it." Because if it was a prequel, Riddick wouldn't " more powerful and dangerous than ever before." And well, unless they are deceiving us all, I do know for a fact that it picks up (more or less) where Chronicles left off.

Robtard
Ah, I do indeed see the confusion now. In fact, you've managed to confuse ME a little. heh. But I think that's just saying he's finally returning to his home planet for the first time. Meaning the Necromongers have left him for dead on a planet, then he has to go to his home planet to save it." Because if it was a prequel, Riddick wouldn't " more powerful and dangerous than ever before." And well, unless they are deceiving us all, I do know for a fact that it picks up (more or less) where Chronicles left off.

"To save it from destruction" implies it's sometime before Chronicles of Riddick, as The Lord Marshal had already conquered the Furya/Furyans in order to do away with the prophecy.

Don't see how if it's after Chronicles, how he can go save an already dead planet. But it seems the idea for a prequel has been scrapped.

Esau Cairn
I disagree, Pitch Black while low-budget in comparison, was a solid Sci-Fi. Simple story, good monsters and a few good characters.

I don't think Chronicles brought anything really new to us; that's fine, if the movie had been good.

I never said anything was wrong with Pitch Black, regardless of its low budget. It's simplicity is what makes it enjoyable.

What EXACTLY didn't you like about Chronicles?
I read alot of peeps hating it but never saying WHY...

quanchi112
I didn't care for pitch black at all yet I enjoyed Chronicles of Riddick.

Mindset
I didn't care for pitch black at all yet I enjoyed Chronicles of Riddick. no expression

Kazenji
Did'nt mind Pitch Black, but i enjoyed Chronicles a bit more.

Patient_Leech
Don't see how if it's after Chronicles, how he can go save an already dead planet.

Well, we don't really know HOW dead the planet is. I don't think it was totally obliterated. I don't think the Lord Marshal destroyed the planet back THEN the same way he did in Chronicles. It looks like he just went in killing hand-to-hand... strangling infants by their birth cords. I'm thinking he was mainly concerned about the prophecy at that time, mainly killing the infants. That wouldn't totally destroy the planet. There are still living Furyans; maybe some have gone back to attempt to repopulate and rebuild... we'll see...

quanchi112
no expression The funny thing is Pitch Black wasn't even really about Riddick he just stole the show. The effects were sub par, the plot was sub par, I just never saw what the hub bub was all about. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion sure but I think the second film is far more enjoyable than the first low budget flick.

Kazenji
And the games are ace, prequel's to Pitch Black.

Mindset
The funny thing is Pitch Black wasn't even really about Riddick he just stole the show. The effects were sub par, the plot was sub par, I just never saw what the hub bub was all about. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion sure but I think the second film is far more enjoyable than the first low budget flick. The plot and the acting were better in Pitch Black.

Chronicles was cheesy, but I still liked it.

quanchi112
The plot and the acting were better in Pitch Black.

Chronicles was cheesy, but I still liked it. I thought the acting was worse in Pitch Black but to me there wasn't really anything entertaining about the first one considering I never thought Riddick was that cool to begin with.

Robtard
I never said anything was wrong with Pitch Black, regardless of its low budget. It's simplicity is what makes it enjoyable.

What EXACTLY didn't you like about Chronicles?
I read alot of peeps hating it but never saying WHY...

Wasn't implying you though PB was shit.

That is was everything PB wasn't. I didn't care for the expanded story, the villains, the love interest, the villains turned savior of the galaxy etc. I much preferred Riddick as the guy out for himself.

Robtard
Well, we don't really know HOW dead the planet is. I don't think it was totally obliterated. I don't think the Lord Marshal destroyed the planet back THEN the same way he did in Chronicles. It looks like he just went in killing hand-to-hand... strangling infants by their birth cords. I'm thinking he was mainly concerned about the prophecy at that time, mainly killing the infants. That wouldn't totally destroy the planet. There are still living Furyans; maybe some have gone back to attempt to repopulate and rebuild... we'll see...

I'd have to watch Chronicles again (I won't), but iirc, it was stated that the Lord Marshal had wiped out the Furyan race as a means to do away with the prophecy of his death

That was the point why the Lord Marshal shit his pants when the necro-computer named him as a Furyan and why he wanted him dead (or possibly converted) so bad.

Mindset
Wasn't implying you though PB was shit.

That is was everything PB wasn't. I didn't care for the expanded story, the villains, the love interest, the villains turned savior of the galaxy etc. I much preferred Riddick as the guy out for himself. thumb up

Although, he showed some compassion for when that one annoying ***** died, but still.

Robtard
thumb up

Although, he showed some compassion for when that one annoying ***** died, but still.

Word.

When Fry died towards the end? He showed a moment of guilt, cos he killed her by setting her up as bait so he could escape the monster(s) he knew was coming from behind her. Riddick killed Fry, cos that's how he rolled, when he was cool.

Patient_Leech
Word.

When Fry died towards the end? He showed a moment of guilt, cos he killed her by setting her up as bait so he could escape the monster(s) he knew was coming from behind her. Riddick killed Fry, cos that's how he rolled, when he was cool.

You've got to be trollin' now... haha..

I think (at least momentarily), Riddick did "rejoin the human race" in Pitch Black. He didn't WANT Fry to die at that point. (He says "Not for me, not for me."wink And then he admits on the little escape skiff that "part of Riddick died on the planet." I might have to go back and look at the scene, but I don't think anything in the filmmaking (editing) indicated that Riddick wanted her to die, or even LET her die at that point. He was too battered and bruised himself to do much for her.. she was helping HIM up.

However, I have a feeling we're going to see a much more callous and cruel Riddick in the next film.. devil

Patient_Leech
Btw, doing a bit of searching on Google and some new details are popping up about characters that are in the process of being cast. I found some interesting tidbits, but I'll leave them for anyone interested to search for on their own, as it is likely unconfirmed.

http://io9.com/5829863/tons-of-riddick-3-casting-calls-reveal-new-link-to-pitch-black

I'm not reading most of it too closely, as I want to keep SOME of it a surprise. But there you go. That's one of MANY articles on the subject.

Kazenji
Brand new concept art

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=46610

Robtard
You've got to be trollin' now... haha..

No, I just understand the subtleties of the character and plot. It's okay, most people didn't get it.

He had to make a choice, her or him and as much as he might have started to care for Fry up to that point, Riddick (in PB) looks out for Riddick first.

RE: Blaxican
I don't agree with the notion that Riddick stabbed Fry and used her as bait, if only because it doesn't make any sense regarding the context of the scene.

By the time Fry came back for Riddick after reaching the ship, he was literally DRENCHED in his own blood, and he was stumbling wildly (due to being injured). If the aliens really were attracted to blood then they wouldn't have gone after Fry instead of Riddick, as even after being stabbed, there's no way she'd have been bleeding as much he was.

Point being, I don't think he used her as bait, because using her as bait wouldn't have worked, and the man would have smart enough to realize that.

Robtard
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
I don't agree with the notion that Riddick stabbed Fry and used her as bait, if only because it doesn't make any sense regarding the context of the scene.

By the time Fry came back for Riddick after reaching the ship, he was literally DRENCHED in his own blood, and he was stumbling wildly (due to being injured). If the aliens really were attracted to blood then they wouldn't have gone after Fry instead of Riddick, as even after being stabbed, there's no way she'd have been bleeding as much he was.

Point being, I don't think he used her as bait, because using her as bait wouldn't have worked, and the man would have smart enough to realize that.

Your "Riddick's blood would have countered Fry's blood" can be dismissed due to PIS/MIS.

Not the first time something illogical happened in a sci-fi film.

True, but if we're going to ignore what the movie shows us, for whatever reason, then I don't see what remaining evidence there is that shows that Riddick by the end of the film was still a selfish killer who sacrificed Fry. I definitely got the vibe in the movie by that point that her constant insistance that he was a good man had gotten through to him, and that he'd undergone a kind of character metamorphosis.

Robtard
Considering he just met the chick and they didn't even ****, not sure why he would have risked himself. Riddick definitely didn't seem like the pussy-wiped type in Pitch Black. imo.

Character metamorphosis from a guy who commits murder to pay for night-vision to selfless hero in a matter of a couple days? Nah, it's romantic, but nah.

Esau Cairn
I think from a story point of view, Fry's character had to be killed off, if anything but to absolve her of her early decision in the film to nearly killing the crew off to save her life when the ship was crashing.

Her death had nothing to do with whether Riddick set her up as bait.
As far as he (& the audience) was concerned, Fry made it to the ship & was home-free.

Having Riddick as the anti-hero that survives means that the (flawed) heroine couldn't survive also & thus had to die.

Patient_Leech
I don't think you're WRONG, necessarily, Rob. There's certainly an element of that.. and I'm sure the filmmakers want you to consider the idea that what was running through Riddick's mind was, "Better her than me." But Blaxican and Esau both bring up excellent points..

Namely that Riddick was in no position to CONSCIOUSLY use Fry as bait at that point. There's just no way. Not with the condition he was in.

I definitely got the vibe in the movie by that point that her constant insistance that he was a good man had gotten through to him, and that he'd undergone a kind of character metamorphosis.

Well put. I agree.

Twohy is all about character reversals. You see it in (Pitch Black) Riddick, Fry, and you see it in the Pacifier in TCOR. Flawed though many critics might think he is, that's one of the things I love about how he writes characters. It creates an interesting arch and provides great emotional character involvement. The Pacifier in TCOR was particularly good because there are little touches throughout the film that hint at him not being fully revealed as a character. He sort of turns away when the Lord Marshal takes the soul of the gentleman at the beginning of the film. And he also asks Vaako if he ever has "doubs.." And then of course he eventually saves Riddick and has that epic death.. lol.

Brand new concept art

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=46610

And omg, I've got a stiffy. That is some badass concept art. This is gonna f**king rock.

Patient_Leech
Character metamorphosis from a guy who commits murder to pay for night-vision to selfless hero in a matter of a couple days? Nah, it's romantic, but nah.

Doesn't mean a brutha can't have relapses. Just like a drug addict. It's called being a human being. Having a psyche that constantly battles itself. Hence Riddick being the "flawed antihero."

Robtard
I don't think you're WRONG, necessarily, Rob. There's certainly an element of that.. and I'm sure the filmmakers want you to consider the idea that what was running through Riddick's mind was, "Better her than me." But Blaxican and Esau both bring up excellent points..

Namely that Riddick was in no position to CONSCIOUSLY use Fry as bait at that point. There's just no way. Not with the condition he was in.

Exactly, cos that's the cold-hearted mofo he was in PB. No, their points are fail; not cos they're idiots, they just missed the subtleties of PB like most people. It happens.

Disagree, wounded Riddick could have easily stabbed Fry in the back, they were that close and she foolishly trusted him at that point in the film.

Patient_Leech
Okay, brah. Mr. Master of Subtleties. You're the only sane one in the world. You must be seeing a different film from the rest of us, cuz he never stabs Fry, and if he did, why would he regret her death immediately..? lol

Robtard
Okay, brah. Mr. Master of Subtleties. You're the only sane one in the world.

You must be seeing a different film from the rest of us, cuz he never stabs Fry, and if he did, why would he regret her death immediately..? lol

No, not implying that I am better. There was also at least one other poster who has felt the same in here too, maybe more.

We've covered that, cos he's flawed and he felt a twinge of guilt, which he quickly let go of. It was like "Damn, that ho I just ****ed over trusted me, not feeling so great about it", then moments later he was all "Meh, **** it, better her than me."

Patient_Leech
Alright, well, I don't think Riddick is really quite that psychotic and schizophrenic to have feelings for someone one second and literally the next second kill them. Flawed yes, but I don't see him as psychotic. That just wouldn't make a good character at all... even an antihero. If he was truly THAT anti-social, then he would have just gutted Imam and Jack before taking off and leaving the planet... just so he could have complete alone-time!! lol

And we could debate whether he stabbed her or not from now to the end of time, but it never shows it. It is an opinion that I do not agree with; however, I would fight to allow you to have it. wink

Esau Cairn
From memory you do see a surprised look on Riddick's face when Fry was killed.

He clearly expected her to be on the ship, whether he liked it or not.

Riddick respected the balls Fry had to stand up to him & question his conscience. He felt her weakness was her responsibility to save others that meant very little to her & yet he respected her determination & leadership qualities.

Robtard
Alright, well, I don't think Riddick is really quite that psychotic and schizophrenic to have feelings for someone one second and literally the next second kill them. Flawed yes, but I don't see him as psychotic. That just wouldn't make a good character at all... even an antihero. If he was truly THAT anti-social, then he would have just gutted Imam and Jack before taking off and leaving the planet... just so he could have complete alone-time!! lol

And we could debate whether he stabbed her or not from now to the end of time, but it never shows it. It is an opinion that I do not agree with; however, I would fight to allow you to have it. wink

Riddick never showed psychotic and schizophrenic behavior, he was cool, collected and in-touch with reality and his surroundings throughout the film. Him stabbing Fry as a means to help himself shows that he's remorseless and a survivor first, or to a degree as such. Which is the image we got of Riddick early in the film, ie casually telling the story of murdering someone to pay for his "surgical shine job".

Except it's obvious he did and for the reasons stated. Don't get me wrong, if he could have thought of a better way to help his chance of surviving and it didn't involve sacrificing Fry, he would have, as having a third person on the escape ship could possibly come in handy to a highly wanted felon on the run.

Esau Cairn
Riddick never showed psychotic and schizophrenic behavior, he was cool, collected and in-touch with reality and his surroundings throughout the film. Him stabbing Fry as a means to help himself shows that he's remorseless and a survivor, or to a degree as such. Which is the image we got of Riddick early in the film, ie casually telling the story of murdering someone to pay for his "surgical shine job".

Except it's obvious he did and for the reasons stated.

What version of Pitch Black did you see?

Riddick never stabbed Fry.
Neither physically or metaphorically.

As far as murdering someone for his "surgical shine job"...it was revealed to be a tall-tale in Chronicles, to put the fear in the kid in Pitch Black.

Robtard
From memory you do see a surprised look on Riddick's face when Fry was killed.

He clearly expected her to be on the ship, whether he liked it or not.

Riddick respected the balls Fry had to stand up to him & question his conscience. He felt her weakness was her responsibility to save others that meant very little to her & yet he respected her determination & leadership qualities.

No, we see mixed emotions, as it's obvious (to me) he had started to have some level of feelings for her, but not enough to override his own survival. He quickly recovers and is back to himself shortly after.

That was the plan yes, but plans fail and Riddick quickly adapts to survive. This is who he is to a fault. Remember the scene when he inspects a monster's skull and quickly deduces they have an exploitable weakness?

Possible, as I said, I do feel he had some measure of feelings for her, but not enough to put his own life at risk on carnivorous monster planet.

Robtard
What version of Pitch Black did you see?

Riddick never stabbed Fry.
Neither physically or metaphorically.

As far as murdering someone for his "surgical shine job"...it was revealed to be a tall-tale in Chronicles, to put the fear in the kid in Pitch Black.

I saw it in the theaters and I think I might have seen an uncut version at home, iirc.

Except he did, it was subtle and played to Riddick as he was in Pitch Black, a bad-ass criminal willing to do anything to survive. Not the unwilling survivor of the universe pansy they morphed him into in that cinematic abortion Chronicles was.

Yes, they retconned the character to fit into the new idea/image of Riddick. People have been pointing out the differences in Riddick from PB to Chronicles in here for pages.

Esau Cairn
No, we see mixed emotions, as it's obvious (to me) he had started to have some level of feelings for her, but not enough to override his own survival. He quickly recovers and is back to himself shortly after.

That was the plan yes, but plans fail and Riddick quickly adapts to survive. This is who he is to a fault. Remember the scene when he inspects a monster's skull and quickly deduces they have an exploitable weakness?

Possible, as I said, I do feel he had some measure of feelings for her, but not enough to put his own life at risk on carnivorous monster planet.

Whatever feelings Riddick had for Fry was not romantic but purely one of grudging respect for her courage & ability to survive as well.
Fry's knowledge on how to repair & fly the shuttle would've been enough for Riddick to see her beneficial to his survival.

Riddick's own "warrior code" didn't stoop as low as the bounty hunter who easily suggested sacrificing the boy/girl when it was discovered that the scent of her period was attracting the creatures.
This was the final straw for Riddick morals to finally kill the bounty hunter rather than show how "bad-ass" & un-caring he was by agreeing to letting the child be killed to give them more time to escape.

I don't understand how you connect Riddick finding the "blind spot" of the creatures as a means to justify that he had mixed feelings for Fry & then over rode them...?

Esau Cairn
I saw it in the theaters and I think I might have seen an uncut version at home, iirc.

Except he did, it was subtle and played to Riddick as he was in Pitch Black, a bad-ass criminal willing to do anything to survive. Not the unwilling survivor of the universe pansy they morphed him into in that cinematic abortion Chronicles was.

Yes, they retconned the character to fit into the new idea/image of Riddick. People have been pointing out the differences in Riddick from PB to Chronicles in here for pages.

I saw Pitch Black on the big screen when it was first released & then about 4-5 times on dvd & blu-ray.

I have not seen a version or even an alternate scene where Riddick stabs Fry.

So are you saying that you've seen a version where he does or are you just implying that Riddick is a type of person who would?

Robtard
Whatever feelings Riddick had for Fry was not romantic but purely one of grudging respect for her courage & ability to survive as well.
Fry's knowledge on how to repair & fly the shuttle would've been enough for Riddick to see her beneficial to his survival.

Riddick's own "warrior code" didn't stoop as low as the bounty hunter who easily suggested sacrificing the boy/girl when it was discovered that the scent of her period was attracting the creatures.
This was the final straw for Riddick morals to finally kill the bounty hunter rather than show how "bad-ass" & un-caring he was by agreeing to letting the child be killed to give them more time to escape.

I don't understand how you connect Riddick finding the "blind spot" of the creatures as a means to justify that he had mixed feelings for Fry & then over rode them...?

Yeah, I said "feelings", not "he was romancing her", so we both agree there. Her usefulness (as I said) to him did not override Riddick's will for survival.

Or Riddick needed Cole Hauser dead cos he was Riddick's enemy. It's not like they would have been friends after they left the planet.

Cos it wasn't a connection as you imply, read back. Fry leaving with him was the plan; plan didn't go as expected and Riddick adapted to survive to the immediate situation. ie Riddick is a survivor and quickly adapts. Quickly assessing his greatest enemy with deducing the blind spot shows his adaptability.

Robtard
I saw Pitch Black on the big screen when it was first released & then about 4-5 times on dvd & blu-ray.

I have not seen a version or even an alternate scene where Riddick stabs Fry.

So are you saying that you've seen a version where he does or are you just implying that Riddick is a type of person who would?

Okay.

It was in the theatrical release.

See above. Would, Riddick in PB wasn't the type of cat who would sacrifice himself for someone he just met, if anyone.

Esau Cairn
Like I said, I saw the theatrical release as well.

In no version of Pitch Black does Riddick stab Fry.

Robtard
And like I said to before, few people picked up on the subtleties, it's cool.

Esau Cairn
And like I said to before, few people picked up on the subtleties, it's cool.

Seriously, you're not making much sense with this "stabbing" issue.

No matter how obvious or subtle you say it is.

Are you saying, Riddick took his knife & STABBED Fry in the movie version that you saw?

Or are you using "stabbed" in a metaphorical sense?

Robtard
Not sure what's confusing about me saying "stabbed", but while we didn't literally see the knife go into her back due to camera angles, Riddick stabbed(penetrate flesh) Fry with his knife(blade; not penis) right before the monster took her. If the camera had panned backwards and we saw the knife go in, it wouldn't have been subtle.

But it was subtle and well done, letting us know exactly what kind of man Riddick is without having to resort to showing the act directly. He's a survivor willing to do anything should the situation require.

Though some could argue his actions had a dual meaning, both giving him a better chance of survival at that moment and giving a small mercy to Fry as she would have likely been killed anyways along with Riddick. Not saying this is so, but it's possible.

Mindset
Whether Riddick stabbed Fry or not has been argued to death on imdb.

I never thought he did.

I feel that if he had stabbed her with the knife, and THEN the monster came and took her (which would have involved stabbing her again, most likely), she would have recoiled twice, as opposed to just the one recoil, then gazing longingly at him before being dragged away.

Esau Cairn
Not sure what's confusing about me saying "stabbed", but while we didn't literally see the knife go into her back due to camera angles, Riddick stabbed(penetrate flesh) Fry with his knife(blade; not penis) right before the monster took her. If the camera had panned backwards and we saw the knife go in, it wouldn't have been subtle.

But it was subtle and well done, letting us know exactly what kind of man Riddick is without having to resort to showing the act directly. He's a survivor willing to do anything should the situation require.

Though some could argue his actions had a dual meaning, both giving him a better chance of survival at that moment and giving a small mercy to Fry as she would have likely been killed anyways along with Riddick. Not saying this is so, but it's possible.

I've a copy of Pitch Black at home, I'll re-watch that scene again.

From memory Riddick was no where close enough to Fry when the creature got her....

Robtard
I feel that if he had stabbed her with the knife, and THEN the monster came and took her (which would have involved stabbing her again, most likely), she would have recoiled twice, as opposed to just the one recoil, then gazing longingly at him before being dragged away.

That's were my alternate argument could come in with Riddick's stabbing having a double meaning, he's a killer; surely he knows how to kill someone mercifully so they bleed-out with as little pain as possible. The gaze could have been a "thank you" as it's probably painful getting devoured while being fully aware.

Now the monster, that thing would have just skewered her.

Esau Cairn

Okaaay...I did watch Pitch Black again the other night & I honestly think your portrayal of Riddick as a cold hearted, merciless killer intent on his own survival, no matter what...is a bit more on your wishful thinking compared to his actual actions in the movie.

After Riddick kills Johns, the other survivors who are left are Fry, Jack, the Muslim HolyMan & his son. All four are weaponless & decide to go back to the wreckage of their ship distancing themselves from Riddick. At this stage too, Riddick has all the fuel-cells strapped to him.

He clearly has no need for the others, they are no threat at all to him & YET tells them they're better off with him rather than return to the wrecked ship. He tells them to keep up as he runs/drags the fuel cells with him through the canyon.

Then to show further compassion, Jack gets knocked down & pinned by one of the creatures, calling out for Riddick to help.
Riddick could've easily ignored Jack's pleas BUT he hesitates to run, sighs, puts down the fuel cells & runs back to kill the creature with his knife uttering, "HE DID NOT KNOW WHO HE WAS F@CKING WITH!"

Fry, Jack & the Holy Man's flames die out (Holy Man's son is killed) & Riddick not wanting to just leave them out in the open, takes the time (out of his own survival) to find a cave for them to hide in before he takes off.

So yeah, he's finally made it to the shuttle, all prepped up ready to go off on his own when Fry turns up.
Riddick could've easily said, "F-YOU. Too late B*tch."
But alas, he shuts the engines down & lowers the ramp. He tries to get Fry to come with him & forget the others, she stands her ground, tells him she's getting more lights to save the others back in the cave & pleads with him not to leave but to come back with her & save Jack & the Holyman.

So yeah 3 times in a row, Riddick shows that he clearly has a conscience & cares not only for Fry but for Jack & the Holyman too.
3 total strangers, he's put his survival & freedom on hold to risk his life & rescue them.
He is not as cold-blooded as you make/ remembered him to be.

As for whether Riddick stabs Fry....
I say no, she is simply killed by a creature as she helps a badly injured Riddick to stand.
Even Twohy & Diesel's commentary on this scene makes no note whatsoever on Riddick stabbing her. They just mention that Riddick was on his "last legs" when Fry comes to his rescue & how strong the actress was to convincingly lift Vin up.
The funny look Riddick gives after Fry is killed doesn't have any double-meaning (Twohy even jokes that Riddick wants to kiss Fry)....he was simply filmed by himself on camera with the depth of compassion only Vin Diesel can give in every movie he stars in.

Patient_Leech
He tries to get Fry to come with him & forget the others, she stands her ground, tells him she's getting more lights to save the others back in the cave & pleads with him not to leave but to come back with her & save Jack & the Holyman.

Sidenote: (the Holy Man's name is Imam, btw. Which is funny cuz they pronounce it so many different ways in the movie. I think they mention that in the commentary, too, haha)

Yeah, and it's not exactly her PLEAS that convince Riddick to have compassion and to help her save them. Riddick sees HER willingness to go save them after she was willing to purge them ALL at the beginning of the movie to save her OWN ass. It's not like she convinced Riddick to come help her with logic and reason or even a promise of compensation or reward. It was just pure human compassion. Riddick found her selflessness "interesting."

So why would he then turn around and stab her as she's helping him up? That doesn't make a f*ck-bit of sense: "YEAH! STABBED YA B*TCH!! IT JUST SO HAPPENS THAT A CREATURE GRABBED YOU AT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME!! YOU DID DIE FOR THEM!! AND IT WAS BECAUSE OF ME!! I AM GOD'S RIGHTEOUS HAND!!" lulz

Sorry, Mr. Robtard... there's no "subtlety" that everyone in the world is missing except you. It would defeat the whole purpose of the movie. In fact, I think the only reason the theory cropped up is that Riddick is still holding his shiv while Fry is helping him up. And I would even assume that the theory was mentioned in jest. He obviously isn't holding on to it to STAB her. He's probably still holding it so he can fight the creatures to the bitter end..

Robtard
Okaaay...I did watch Pitch Black again the other night & I honestly think your portrayal of Riddick as a cold hearted, merciless killer intent on his own survival, no matter what...is a bit more on your wishful thinking compared to his actual actions in the movie.

After Riddick kills Johns, the other survivors who are left are Fry, Jack, the Muslim HolyMan & his son. All four are weaponless & decide to go back to the wreckage of their ship distancing themselves from Riddick. At this stage too, Riddick has all the fuel-cells strapped to him.

He clearly has no need for the others, they are no threat at all to him & YET tells them they're better off with him rather than return to the wrecked ship. He tells them to keep up as he runs/drags the fuel cells with him through the canyon.

Then to show further compassion, Jack gets knocked down & pinned by one of the creatures, calling out for Riddick to help.
Riddick could've easily ignored Jack's pleas BUT he hesitates to run, sighs, puts down the fuel cells & runs back to kill the creature with his knife uttering, "HE DID NOT KNOW WHO HE WAS F@CKING WITH!"

Fry, Jack & the Holy Man's flames die out (Holy Man's son is killed) & Riddick not wanting to just leave them out in the open, takes the time (out of his own survival) to find a cave for them to hide in before he takes off.

So yeah, he's finally made it to the shuttle, all prepped up ready to go off on his own when Fry turns up.
Riddick could've easily said, "F-YOU. Too late B*tch."
But alas, he shuts the engines down & lowers the ramp. He tries to get Fry to come with him & forget the others, she stands her ground, tells him she's getting more lights to save the others back in the cave & pleads with him not to leave but to come back with her & save Jack & the Holyman.

So yeah 3 times in a row, Riddick shows that he clearly has a conscience & cares not only for Fry but for Jack & the Holyman too.
3 total strangers, he's put his survival & freedom on hold to risk his life & rescue them.
He is not as cold-blooded as you make/ remembered him to be.

As for whether Riddick stabs Fry....
I say no, she is simply killed by a creature as she helps a badly injured Riddick to stand.
Even Twohy & Diesel's commentary on this scene makes no note whatsoever on Riddick stabbing her. They just mention that Riddick was on his "last legs" when Fry comes to his rescue & how strong the actress was to convincingly lift Vin up.
The funny look Riddick gives after Fry is killed doesn't have any double-meaning (Twohy even jokes that Riddick wants to kiss Fry)....he was simply filmed by himself on camera with the depth of compassion only Vin Diesel can give in every movie he stars in.

To your first 7 paragraphs:

Everything Riddick did for the others was because A) He wasn't in danger of immediate death as he was when he was wounded so his survival instinct wasn't in "all out" mode. B) He wanted hostages if possible when he left, as he was a wanted man and having civillians could come in handy.

To your last paragraph:

The director not saying "Riddick stabbed Fry" doesn't mean anything of itself, as he also didn't say "Riddick didn't stab Fry". It was subtle and he wants to keep the viewer guessing.

"depth of compassion only Vin Diesel can give in every movie he stars in." Was that a joke? Cos Diesel isn't a very good actor.

Robtard

Sorry, Mr. Robtard... there's no "subtlety" that everyone in the world is missing except you. It would defeat the whole purpose of the movie. In fact, I think the only reason the theory cropped up is that Riddick is still holding his shiv while Fry is helping him up. And I would even assume that the theory was mentioned in jest. He obviously isn't holding on to it to STAB her. He's probably still holding it so he can fight the creatures to the bitter end..

Incorrect, dude.

srankmissingnin
Riddick didn't stab Fry, that should be pretty clear since he was emotionally saying "Not for me, not for me!" after she got grabbed. As in, he didn't want her to die to save him.

Robtard
You misunderstood.

That interpretation is 100% correct, to be honest.

Robtard
That interpretation is 100% correct, to be honest.

I'm sorry, so you became Riddick in that scene? No, so stop. It's like the Bible.

I'm sorry, so you became Riddick in that scene? No, so stop. It's like the Bible.

Robtard

Don't copy me.

ares834
Riddick didn't stab Fry, that should be pretty clear since he was emotionally saying "Not for me, not for me!" after she got grabbed. As in, he didn't want her to die to save him.

thumb up

It also echoes what Fry said earlier when she said she would not die for Riddick.

Honestly, by the time PB is done it's quite clear he isn't simply a cold blooded killer anymore as he will put his life on the line to help others.

Robtard
Originally posted by ares834
thumb up

It also echoes what Fry said earlier when she said she would not die for Riddick.

Honestly, by the time PB is done it's quite clear he isn't simply a cold blooded killer anymore as he will put his life on the line to help others.

Which is why he stabbed her.

So he went from being a guy who murders for some spending cash to hero for strangers in what, a couple days? Negative.

So he went from being a guy who murders for some spending cash to hero for strangers in what, a couple days? Negative. Originally posted by Robtard
can be dismissed due to PIS/MIS.
Not the first time something illogical happened in a film.

Esau Cairn
To your first 7 paragraphs:

Everything Riddick did for the others was because A) He wasn't in danger of immediate death as he was when he was wounded so his survival instinct wasn't in "all out" mode. B) He wanted hostages if possible when he left, as he was a wanted man and having civillians could come in handy.

To your last paragraph:

The director not saying "Riddick stabbed Fry" doesn't mean anything of itself, as he also didn't say "Riddick didn't stab Fry". It was subtle and he wants to keep the viewer guessing.

"depth of compassion only Vin Diesel can give in every movie he stars in." Was that a joke? Cos Diesel isn't a very good actor.

"Riddick not in danger of immediate death..."
Dude, there was thousands of those creatures...EVERYONE WAS IN DANGER OF IMMEDIATE DEATH!!! Killing one creature by hand that had Jack pinned down didn't mean Riddick had a chance in hell if two other creatures ganged up on him. He's smart enough to know that & yet he still risked his own life when he clearly didn't have to.

Hostages?
A character like Riddick doesn't strike me as someone who would hide behind hostages. He'd consider them anything but a burden & hassle to his own survival. There's a bounty on his head, do you seriously think hardened bounty hunters would give a damn if civilians were killed? The civilians were of no social importance, they would've simply been deemed casualties of war.

Twohy & Diesel's commentary went into a lot of detail describing earlier scenes in the movie... a lot of scenes the audience would've shrugged off as unimportant. And yet that pinnacle scene of whether Riddick stabs Fry or not, they only discuss how wounded he was & how budget didn't permit them to show Riddick actually battling the 2 creatures that had cornered him.

Yes, Diesel isn't a very good actor. As I said, he had a camera focussed on his face & Twohy probably in the background telling him to react to Fry getting ripped out of his arms by a flying creature. Diesel's lack of facial expression/acting ability is what we see...not a double ambiguous meaning to him stabbing Fry.

Esau Cairn

So he went from being a guy who murders for some spending cash to hero for strangers in what, a couple days? Negative.

A guy who murders for spending cash?
Who did he murder?

Killing an old woman for her pension cheque would make him a cold-blooded killer. Killing the boss of a ruthless drug cartel & helping himself to the spoils would make Riddick an anti-hero of sorts.

So who exactly did Riddick kill?

I mean all this shows is that Riddick is quite capable of, "Walking the walk & talking the talk."

Robtard

Except it didn't happen, so your premise is flawed.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>