suicide

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chomperx9
whats the least painful and fastest way to let your life go ?

can you go to a hospital and have them put you to sleep instead of you doing something to yourself ?

serious posters only please

Rogue Jedi
Suicide is for pussies.

Wild Shadow
depends where you live...

booze and pills should do the trick.. add suffocation while ur drugged

Bicnarok
Originally posted by chomperx9

can you go to a hospital and have them put you to sleep instead of you doing something to yourself ?

I hope your not considering it, there are always other options like running off to some warm place and joining some hippy group working on some farm or something. No stress, no responsibilities and all that.

Instead of asking about suicide options why not ask about ways to solve your problems.

Of course if your suffering immense pain from some incurable disease then jumping of a cliff and going in style would be my option, to fly like superman for a few seconds.

Lord Lucien
Walk downtown Detroit at 1 in the morning counting out a wad of bills.

Mindset
Insulin overdose.

chiaki

Hopefully you're not serious and you're being an attention whore.

jaden101

Thin hollow needles in the veins of the arms and lie in a hot bath (so the loss of blood doesn't make you feel cold)

Rogue Jedi
Just jump off a 50 story building, you won't feel a thing.

BruceSkywalker
seppuku

chiaki
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
seppuku

It was a great honor do that. Someone taking the cowards way out because his parents don't understand or whatever should not get to do that.

jaden101
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Just jump off a 50 story building, you won't feel a thing.

You would if you didn't die. laughing

Not likely though given that there's a 70% chance of death at 4 floors and a 90% chance of death at 5 floors. There was a case of 2 window cleaners who's lift broke completely and they plummeted 47 floors and both survived although with horrific injuries.

In my forensics work I found out something funny about jumpers. They always change their minds half way down and put their arms out at the bottom to stop themselves. The results are quite amusing. The hands end up at the elbows with the forearm bones sticking out at either side.

Mindset
Wrestle a bear.

chiaki
I wonder if this thread should be closed confused

Mindset
Get married.

chiaki
Originally posted by Mindset
Get married.

haermm

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by jaden101
You would if you didn't die. laughing

Not likely though given that there's a 70% chance of death at 4 floors and a 90% chance of death at 5 floors. There was a case of 2 window cleaners who's lift broke completely and they plummeted 47 floors and both survived although with horrific injuries.

In my forensics work I found out something funny about jumpers. They always change their minds half way down and put their arms out at the bottom to stop themselves. The results are quite amusing. The hands end up at the elbows with the forearm bones sticking out at either side.

I doubt Hans felt a thing:

Ezh6cZ2PzXg

Dude what? 47 floors? GTFO.

jaden101
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
I doubt Hans felt a thing:

Ezh6cZ2PzXg

Dude what? 47 floors? GTFO.

Seriously

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jan/05/usa.topstories3

Although I was slightly wrong because one of them died.

Apparently people who jump have a better chance of survival though because they are less tense about the fall (because it's deliberate) and so their muscles absorb more of the impact and transfer less energy to vital organs.

Colossus-Big C
seriously death is a very scary thing

Mindset
Why?

Colossus-Big C
Why? lol i had a dream that when you die, your conscience wanders the universe for eternity. just a dream though

chiaki
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
seriously death is a very scary thing

No it's not. It's the only guaranteed thing.

You're going to die.

Ms.Marvel
im pretty sure scary isnt a synonym for unknown

Mindset
Originally posted by chiaki
No it's not. It's the only guaranteed thing.

You're going to die. I'm not.

Colossus-Big C
seriously who would want to be immortal?

chiaki
me no expression

Colossus-Big C
me no expression so when all humanity dies, and earth gets destroyed you would be left floating in space for all eternity?

chiaki
yes

Colossus-Big C
yes then get captured by other life forces and tested and tortured? witness the big crunch a feel the collaps of the universe? be there in the next big bang and witness it?

StyleTime
You just assumed a whole lot of stuff there champ.

chiaki
then get captured by other life forces and tested and tortured? witness the big crunch a feel the collaps of the universe? be there in the next big bang and witness it?

yes

Wild Shadow
sounds good to me. reminds of of Hugh jackman movie the Fountain. a nice serene existence isnt that bad if you can cope and expand your mind.

dadudemon
then get captured by other life forces and tested and tortured? witness the big crunch a feel the collaps of the universe? be there in the next big bang and witness it?

Indeed because there's no such thing as real immortality as, eventually, all matter would "decay" to sub atomic particles and be unusable.

She'd dissolve into nothingness as her protons decayed.

Unless she could invent an Heisenberg Compensator....

heh heh heh....

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by dadudemon
Indeed because there's no such thing as real immortality as, eventually, all matter would "decay" to sub atomic particles and be unusable.

She'd dissolve into nothingness as her protons decayed.

Unless she could invent an Heisenberg Compensator....

heh heh heh....

But who would compensate the compensator?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
But who would compensate the compensator?

It would compensate itself. Duuuuuh.

Lord Lucien
seriously who would want to be immortal? Immortal=/=invincible.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Immortal=/=invincible.

That's what it means in DBZ.

PWNED!

That's minus 7 internets for you.

kevdude
Get married.

laughing out loud You always outdo yourself Mind.

jinXed by JaNx
carbon monoxide poisoning.

Or you could always fire yourself out of a big ass canon into a massive fan.

Lord Lucien
That's what it means in DBZ.

PWNED!

That's minus 7 internets for you. Whatever, I already had like over 9000.

dadudemon
Whatever, I already had like over 9000.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

jaden101
Being at ground zero of a nuclear bomb would be completely pain free because you would cease to exist in a time some 20x faster than your neurons can detect pain.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/20/books/excerpt-last-train-from-hiroshima.html

Have a read of this rather awesome description of the Hiroshima bomb and it's effects described in amazing detail.

Oh...Apparently James Cameron is considering doing something with the book.

Shakyamunison

You don't have the right to take your own live unless you can show that the remainder of your short life will be filled with pain that cannot be managed.

Deja~vu
Please don't consider suicide. I know a few people talking like that. But I hear that an overdose works pretty well. Just depends what you take.

Don't overdose on speed though. eek!

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
You don't have the right to take your own live unless you can show that the remainder of your short life will be filled with pain that cannot be managed. i like that

Bardock42
I heard there's a pretty fast and easy way by cooking up cigarettes or something, have no personal experience with it though.

BackFire
A brick.

That's only for real men, though.

Alpha Centauri
You don't have the right to take your own live unless you can show that the remainder of your short life will be filled with pain that cannot be managed.

He has the right to do whatever he wants.

If you go see a movie and it's shitty for the most part, nobody should blame you for walking out. It probably isn't gonna get good enough that it'll justify the shit you sat through.

-AC

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
He has the right to do whatever he wants.

If you go see a movie and it's shitty for the most part, nobody should blame you for walking out. It probably isn't gonna get good enough that it'll justify the shit you sat through.

-AC

Have you ever known anyone who committed suicide? I have. The pain that all the people who loved that person had too (and have too) go through is criminal.

Symmetric Chaos

Really? Why's that?

Shakyamunison
Really? Why's that?

Have you ever known anyone who committed suicide? I have. The pain that all the people who loved that person had too (and have too) go through is criminal.

inimalist

Right, because feeling like you are living simply out of an obligation to not hurt others will make your life much less terrible.

I guess there is probably no way to sugar coat this, but if you feel victimized by someone else commiting suicide, you are a little selfish

Wild Shadow
i agree with suicide being a selfish way to go.... if you really having a hard time why dont you look at what is making it so hard.. redirect ur energy into something more manageable constructive.... dont kill urself kill the once making you feel that way.. just not ur parents or family members unless they abused you horribly sexually...

evil face censored2gun_bandana

chomperx9
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
dont kill urself kill the once making you feel that way.. just not ur parents or family members unless they abused you horribly sexually...

evil face censored2gun_bandana thats whats happening. parents getting to be angrier and more abusive as they get older.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by inimalist
Right, because feeling like you are living simply out of an obligation to not hurt others will make your life much less terrible.

I guess there is probably no way to sugar coat this, but if you feel victimized by someone else commiting suicide, you are a little selfish

Yes it is better to live a terrable life for the sake of others. The only selfish person is the person who commits suicide.

Shakyamunison
thats whats happening. parents getting to be angrier and more abusive as they get older.

Then leave!

Symmetric Chaos
Then leave!

What if they enjoy absuing him? Then I guess he should live a terrible life for the sake of others . . .

Wild Shadow
i'm old school my momma beat me before i even thought of doing anything bad in the 1st place.

i didnt get no time outs and time to think for my actions. i was beaten into submission before i could apologize and regret my actions.

nowadays everyone is too soft

examples:my mom abused me as a kid.... whaaaa... what did they do?

she used to hit me....

seriously? no expression was it at least when she was drunk and did it for no reason maybe a cigarette burn? confused

no it was worst she was sober and hit me when i crashed the car, the house and accidentally killed my pet...

hmmm... so ur were hit for being an irresponsible idiot and was used to teach you responsibility and consequences for ur actions,
how is that abuse? erm

i consider abuse to be sexual in nature and involve burning whether electrical or by cigarettes maybe some alcohol with a beating close fist....

being hit with shoes, slaps, swishes, electrical chords is just responsible parenting not abuse...

Symmetric Chaos
being hit with shoes, slaps, swishes, electrical chords is just responsible parenting not abuse...

Really? Where I come from the only time that hitting people with objects is seen as a good thing is during a BDSM scene.

Wild Shadow
Really? Where I come from the only time that hitting people with objects is seen as a good thing is during a BDSM scene.

and where is that, where do you hail from?

Symmetric Chaos
and where is that, where do you hail from?

New Jersey suburbs.

Wild Shadow
New Jersey suburbs.

and you were never hit by ur parents?

see this is why we are losing the war on terror against a 3rd world country with out dated wpns... way to soft.. pretty soon in the future we will end up like the cops on the movie Demolition man...

Symmetric Chaos

Nope.

see this is why we are losing the war on terror against a 3rd world country with out dated wpns... way to soft.. pretty soon in the future we will end up like the cops on the movie Demolition man...

Don't follow your logic here. Hitting a child for a mistake and punishing an adult for a crime are hugely different things.

King Kandy

I don't think of the people who don't get hit as being the sort to enlist anyway.

King Kandy
Yes it is better to live a terrable life for the sake of others. The only selfish person is the person who commits suicide.
Ah... I don't know about you but I would certainly consider it selfish to make someone go through endless suffering simply because you'd be sad if they were gone.

inimalist
Yes it is better to live a terrable life for the sake of others.

unless of course by "live for others" we mean slavery, oppression, torture for pleasure or any number of other terrible things which we would all agree are wrong.

wait, we are talking about forcing someone to do something that brings them pain, against their will, for our own personal satisfaction, right?

The only selfish person is the person who commits suicide.

indeed, because wanting someone to live a life they don't want to just so that you don't suffer the pain of their loss is not selfish at all. No reference to the self of concern for one's own personal well being there.

Wild Shadow
thats whats happening. parents getting to be angrier and more abusive as they get older.

are they financially supporting you? dont kill them they are ur parents... just find some thing else to lessen ur interactions with them.

move out ignore their calls... i avoided my mom for a few yrs b/c i got sick of having to be responsible for her. at the end of the day you have to live ur life and break free it might hurt but that is what being an adult is..

and dont end ur life b/c ur trying to escape ur problems....

i have thought about killing myself but i would never do it b/c i think it is kinda selfish and at the end no one suffers but the wrong ppl and ur not even their to watch others suffer.

do what i did go into a spiral of depression do massive drugs every once in a while mix it with alcohol and pick up smoking. its like spinning the wheel and playing the odds.

i always lost and woke up losing the next day.... could also join the military and voluntary to extent ur oversea's time and get on as many convoys you can... i did..... if you survive start applying ur newly found skills on how to get even with certain ppl and confuse the police...... cool

Ms.Marvel
join the army. then a big black man wearing a funny hat can be your new daddy.

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by King Kandy
Ah... I don't know about you but I would certainly consider it selfish to make someone go through endless suffering simply because you'd be sad if they were gone.

actually they tend to join in the navy or officer program...... its also funny watching a bunch of nancies crying when they get yelled at its also disgusting.......

Why you Crying?!! ur mother cuddle you to much?!! you make me sick!!get on the ground and give me 20!!!

you will never make it just say your weak!!! you wanna go home and suck on ur mother's titties!!

say it!!!!

the recruits: couldnt hacked it!! had to packed!!!

whhaaaaa!!!

Ugly Casanova
It's their body, they should be able to do whatever they want to it.

The law should not be there to tell people how to avoid hurting other's feelings.

Ms.Marvel
actually they tend to join in the navy or officer program...... its also funny watching a bunch of nancies crying when they get yelled at its also disgusting.......

Why you Crying?!! ur mother cuddle you to much?!! you make me sick!!get on the ground and give me 20!!!

you will never make it just say your weak!!! you wanna go home and suck on ur mother's titties!!

say it!!!!

the recruits: couldnt hacked it!! had to packed!!!

whhaaaaa!!!

private pile?

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
private pile?

no its the average soft american kid that joins the military thinking they can make it. sick

Ugly Casanova
I reckon someone should have taken you to an English class and belted you one every time you used bad grammar or spelling. Actually, no I don't, I think parents can teach children the right way to behave without having to resort to any form of violence.

Your parents were obviously teaching you the wrong lessons, the wrong way.

Symmetric Chaos
no its the average soft american kid that joins the military thinking they can make it. sick

Which is why my contribution to the war effort will be publicly torturing civilians just to prove we're serious about the fight.

Bardock42

There is no war on terror.

And if there was you wouldn't be losing it by any sane interpretation.

I do get your point about abuse somewhat. I don't think that every form of physical disciplining is abuse, however if you got beaten with an electrical cord on a regular basis then there's something wrong, that's not good parenting. Your example of an "abuse victim" was just ridiculous too.

Oh and Shakya, though you will not read it, but no human should have the obligation to live their life for you, they have to decide for themselves whether they want to bear their life, to deny them that on the grounds you stated is indeed selfish.

In closing, Doug Stanhope's great.

Lord Lucien
Yes it is better to live a terrable life for the sake of others. The only selfish person is the person who commits suicide. It's even more selfish to demand someone persist for your sake.

Shakyamunison
What if they enjoy absuing him? Then I guess he should live a terrible life for the sake of others . . .

Or do something else.

Shakyamunison

Hey! I was given a choice of dog shit or cat shit. Don't get on my case because I choice cat shit. The fact is, you can change your life. There is never any unselfish reason to take your own life. The pain that your loved one go through is not sad. It would be more like hitting them in the gut with a 2 x 4.

Shakyamunison
It's even more selfish to demand someone persist for your sake.

Cat shit.

dadudemon
What a bunch of emo, suicidal, young "adults."

However, I'll fight for you right to commit suicide. no expression

Shakyamunison

However, I'll fight for you right to commit suicide. no expression

By fight, do you mean help them? gun_bandana laughing out loud

Bardock42

Who?

Wild Shadow
Hey! I was given a choice of dog shit or cat shit. Don't get on my case because I choice cat shit. The fact is, you can change your life. There is never any unselfish reason to take your own life. The pain that your loved one go through is not sad. It would be more like hitting them in the gut with a 2 x 4.

your a horrible Buddhist. no expression

whatever happen with not being physically or emotionally attached? you must find the balance and you not wanting for others to leave this world b/c of the emotions you will have is selfish.

Shakyamunison
your a horrible Buddhist. no expression

whatever happen with not being physically or emotionally attached? you must find the balance and you not wanting for others to leave this world b/c of the emotions you will have is selfish.

Seeking to eliminate attachments is an attachment. As Nichiren Daishonin said, suffer what there is to suffer, and enjoy what there is to enjoy.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
Who?

Obviously you, Mr. Slit Wrist. mad mad mad

Nah.

dadudemon
Seeking to eliminate attachments is an attachment. As Nichiren Daishonin said, suffer what there is to suffer, and enjoy what there is to enjoy.

LOL

You pwned him. Dead serious, this time.

And, that's actually good. I'll have to remember that.

Bardock42
Obviously you, Mr. Slit Wrist. mad mad mad

Nah.

Do you mean people in this thread though or people that contemplate suicide or people that commit suicide or just some random people you thought about when typing your post totally unrelated to everything here?

King Kandy
Yes but in this case it's like forcing someone else to eat dog shit so that you can choose cat shit.

Shakyamunison
Yes but in this case it's like forcing someone else to eat dog shit so that you can choose cat shit.

Your logic is flawed. You are pretending that there is only two chooses and both of them are bad. Why not choose the right choice? Why not change your life instead of taking your life? After all, you have nothing to loose.

King Kandy
Because there are some things that are irrecoverable from.

Shakyamunison

Only that attitude is irrecoverable from.

Symmetric Chaos

No, Buddhism teaches that if your legs are torn off in a mechanical accident you should "GO THE **** OUTSIDE AND WALK IT OFF *****!!"

Shakyamunison
No, Buddhism teaches that if your legs are torn off in a mechanical accident you should "GO THE **** OUTSIDE AND WALK IT OFF *****!!"

I like how people who know nothing about Buddhism keep spouting coffee shop Buddhism all over everyone they see.

Wild Shadow

inimalist
I like how people who know nothing about Buddhism keep spouting coffee shop Buddhism all over everyone they see.

I think he was making fun of you, not trying to be a Buddhist

Wild Shadow
you cant be a Buddhist you can only try to live the path of enlightenment...

technically he can believe whatever he wants and not follow any specific bhuddist example or tradition or spiritual exercises..

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
Do you mean people in this thread though or people that contemplate suicide or people that commit suicide or just some random people you thought about when typing your post totally unrelated to everything here?

Hey, what's up, dude? How's it going?

Shakyamunison

Shakyamunison
I think he was making fun of you, not trying to be a Buddhist

And I was making fun of him, not trying to enlighten him.

King Kandy
Only that attitude is irrecoverable from.
Oh, OK. I guess if you have a fatal degenerative illness you should just decide to get better like a real man.

Shakyamunison
Oh, OK. I guess if you have a fatal degenerative illness you should just decide to get better like a real man.

And only then must you ask your family for their blessing. There is a correct reason and correct way to take your life.

King Kandy
You seem very dogmatic on this issue for someone who regularly shows disdain for proscribing to people how to live in the religion forum.

Wild Shadow
You seem very dogmatic on this issue for someone who regularly shows disdain for proscribing to people how to live in the religion forum.

i thought i was the only one to notice that... embarrasment

Shakyamunison
I never show disdain for anyone. I think you are projecting.

King Kandy
And I think you misread my post. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lord Lucien
Cat shit. Wow, I actually thought you cared. You're quite a horrible person, really.

Shakyamunison
And I think you misread my post. roll eyes (sarcastic)

How so?

Wow, I actually thought you cared. You're quite a horrible person, really.

Are you just wanting attention?

Lord Lucien
Are you just wanting attention? No, but I think you are. Calling a suicide selfish I agree with, but to actually demand persistence for your sake is equally self-centered.

King Kandy
How so?
I never said in that post that you showed disdain towards any person.

Shakyamunison
No, but I think you are. Calling a suicide selfish I agree with, but to actually demand persistence for your sake is equally self-centered.

What do I have to do with it? I'm talking about the family. You are a member of your family. You do not have a right to hurt your family any more then they have a right to hurt you. Committing suicide hurts your family in the worst way possible.

Shakyamunison
I never said in that post that you showed disdain towards any person.

Then your sentence makes no since to me. Please rephrase.

King Kandy
Here, hopefully this is easier to understand:

You usually are AGAINST people telling people they have to live their lives a certain way in the religion forum, but you are doing the same thing here.

Lord Lucien
What do I have to do with it? I'm talking about the family. You are a member of your family. You do not have a right to hurt your family any more then they have a right to hurt you. Committing suicide hurts your family in the worst way possible. Yes, it does. Suicide without good cause is incredibly selfish and cowardly. But you saying: "... it is better to live a terrable life for the sake of others," is not compassionate, nor merciful. I know that if I were witness to the suffering of someone so close---note: suffering. Actual pain (physical and mental). I.e. terminal illness, horrible wounds, traumatic experience, whatever---and it was irrecoverable, I'd want to see it ended. I'd see that what could be done to help them was done, but if nothing worked and they never shook out of their stupor, I'd not condemn them for wanting to end it. I'd lament it, I'd want them to reconsider, I'd be desperate if it was someone so close to me... but I would never demand it. I despise people who use use guilt as a tool for their own purposes. What would be the point in continuing their agony if it was to comfort others? Who are these people who take such pleasure from one who suffers?

Regardless of whether you agree with their reasons for contemplating death, there is something wrong with them. And if nothing works (nothing--I emphasize the word), I'd not be the tyrant who demand they prolong their life because their presence makes me feel better.

Shakyamunison
Here, hopefully this is easier to understand:

You usually are AGAINST people telling people they have to live their lives a certain way in the religion forum, but you are doing the same thing here.

I see. I'm not talking about something written in an old book. I'm talking about law. If you try to commit suicide, you will get arrested. In the state of Oregon, we have an assisted suicide law, but concealing is involved.

King Kandy
I live in oregon and am aware of that... however that is not relevant because your argument so far was about whether it was MORAL not whether it was LEGAL.

Shakyamunison
Yes, it does. Suicide without good cause is incredibly selfish and cowardly. But you saying: "... it is better to live a terrable life for the sake of others," is not compassionate, nor merciful. I know that if I were witness to the suffering of someone so close---note: suffering. Actual pain (physical and mental). I.e. terminal illness, horrible wounds, traumatic experience, whatever---and it was irrecoverable, I'd want to see it ended. I'd see that what could be done to help them was done, but if nothing worked and they never shook out of their stupor, I'd not condemn them for wanting to end it. I'd lament it, I'd want them to reconsider, I'd be desperate if it was someone so close to me... but I would never demand it. I despise people who use use guilt as a tool for their own purposes. What would be the point in continuing their agony if it was to comfort others? Who are these people who take such pleasure from one who suffers?

Regardless of whether you agree with their reasons for contemplating death, there is something wrong with them. And if nothing works (nothing--I emphasize the word), I'd not be the tyrant who demand they prolong their life because their presence makes me feel better.

Please review, I did. You will see that you are going way off base. It is better to live a terrible life for the sake of others, but that is not to say that a terminally ill person should not have the right to take their life. We were talking about a kid who wanted to talk about suicide because his parents are abusive. In the case of this thread, it is better to live this temporary hell, then to commit suicide. Even in the extreme case that you mentioned, if the terminally ill person wants to live a terrible life for the sake of others, they have that right. It would be wrong to condemn then for holding on.

Shakyamunison

Lord Lucien
Please review, I did. You will see that you are going way off base. It is better to live a terrible life for the sake of others, but that is not to say that a terminally ill person should not have the right to take their life. We were talking about a kid who wanted to talk about suicide because his parents are abusive. In the case of this thread, it is better to live this temporary hell, then to commit suicide. Even in the extreme case that you mentioned, if the terminally ill person wants to live a terrible life for the sake of others, they have that right. It would be wrong to condemn then for holding on. You are right then. The kid who has abusive parents is better off killing the parents than himself.

Shakyamunison
You are right then. The kid who has abusive parents is better off killing the parents than himself.

You didn't get that from what I said.

King Kandy

Shakyamunison
I'm not interested in discussing the legality with you because that is a completely black and white issue that can generate no meaningful discussion.

My point is, you are trying to tell people that there is a certain way they must live their life, which is a position you usually disagree with in all other contexts.

No. I'm doing two things: 1. pointing out the law. 2. supporting the law's position.

The law is telling people how to live. I am simply being an advocate, because I've seen how painful suicide can be to the family.

If we were talking about how some god viewed suicide, then my points would be quite different.

Admittedly, I share some of the blame for your misunderstanding, because I'm not the best communicator. However, you are simply mistaken.

King Kandy
I'm saying, I don't see how in one forum you can be all "telling people they have to live a certain way is bad" and yet here saying "I don't think you should have the right to kill yourself".

Lord Lucien
You didn't get that from what I said. Nope, but lesser of two evils.

Shakyamunison
I'm saying, I don't see how in one forum you can be all "telling people they have to live a certain way is bad" and yet here saying "I don't think you should have the right to kill yourself".

It all has to do with reality verses supernatural. Laws, pain, and suicide are real, while gods and holy books are supernatural. I'm sorry if you don't see the difference.

King Kandy
It all has to do with reality verses supernatural. Laws, pain, and suicide are real, while gods and holy books are supernatural. I'm sorry if you don't see the difference.
So you're trying to tell me that your personal feelings on this issue are "reality"? That is quite arrogant.

dadudemon
So you're trying to tell me that your personal feelings on this issue are "reality"? That is quite arrogant.

Yeah, but, for people like me, it's the way it is for infinity no take-backs.

Shakyamunison

And you are telling me that suicide is not real? confused

King Kandy
No, but your personal perspective on it isn't.

Shakyamunison
No, but your personal perspective on it isn't.

If that is true, then to be fair, nether is your perspective. Why are you wasting my time?

inimalist
I think thats the point though. OUR perspectives are rather meaningless when it comes to another's decision to commit suicide.

I'd agree, there are often other options people can take and suicide is by its nature selfish, but it is ultimatly a decision which one person gets to decide. You can feel victimized by it, or you can accept that the person knew what was best for themselves.

King Kandy
If that is true, then to be fair, nether is your perspective. Why are you wasting my time?
Because you're using something completely subjective to try and make people act how you want. I prefer to err on the side of freedom.

Shakyamunison
I think thats the point though. OUR perspectives are rather meaningless when it comes to another's decision to commit suicide.

I'd agree, there are often other options people can take and suicide is by its nature selfish, but it is ultimatly a decision which one person gets to decide. You can feel victimized by it, or you can accept that the person knew what was best for themselves.

It is ultimately a person's decision to murder, also, but that does not make it legal or right. Of course, I am assuming that we are talking about a healthy person.

Shakyamunison
Because you're using something completely subjective to try and make people act how you want. I prefer to err on the side of freedom.

You do not have the freedom to cause pain to other people. If there was a case were no pain would be caused by a person committing suicide, then I would agree. However, most people do not fall into that category.

inimalist
It is ultimately a person's decision to murder, also, but that does not make it legal or right. Of course, I am assuming that we are talking about a health person.

someone who wants to kill themselves is, by definition, not a healthy person

A murder also has a victim. The law is not about taking the person away from their family, but murdering the individual. The morals are about the fact you have violated that person's right to life. Like, if we extended your argument, it would be immoral to do anything which might cause displeasure to anyone.

You have a point, and it does show that people who commit suicide are more concerned with their own suffering than with that of others. Obviously I'd never recommend someone kill themselves, but I certainly don't know what is best for anyone but myself.

inimalist
You do not have the freedom to cause pain to other people.

that view is not congruent with even the most basic ideas of freedom of expression and many other personal freedoms.

I know this is pushing it, but really, you would be hard pressed to demarcate what is "acceptable" pain to cause people vicariously.

Shakyamunison
someone who wants to kill themselves is, by definition, not a healthy person

There is a difference between a terminally ill person and one who is mentally troubled. However, if someone is so troubled mentally that life is not bearable, then I would be ok with assisted suicide as long as the family is involved. My point is not dogmatic, just strongly felt.

A murder also has a victim. The law is not about taking the person away from their family, but murdering the individual. The morals are about the fact you have violated that person's right to life. Like, if we extended your argument, it would be immoral to do anything which might cause displeasure to anyone.

However, laws also address vendetta. In this case vendetta turns into guilt.

You have a point, and it does show that people who commit suicide are more concerned with their own suffering than with that of others. Obviously I'd never recommend someone kill themselves, but I certainly don't know what is best for anyone but myself.

I would agree. I simply have a strong opinion about how someone should go about committing suicide.

Wild Shadow
You do not have the freedom to cause pain to other people. If there was a case were no pain would be caused by a person committing suicide, then I would agree. However, most people do not fall into that category.

tell that to network companies that take my shows off the air... parents and relatives saying hurtful things.... military and police training use pain as a learning tool and part of their procedures...... smokin'

Shakyamunison
that view is not congruent with even the most basic ideas of freedom of expression and many other personal freedoms.

I know this is pushing it, but really, you would be hard pressed to demarcate what is "acceptable" pain to cause people vicariously.

You have captured one of the main problems with law.

Shakyamunison
tell that to network companies that take my shows off the air... parents and relatives saying hurtful things.... military and police training use pain as a learning tool and part of their procedures...... smokin'

You are comparing apples and oranges.

King Kandy
If you don't have the freedom to cause pain to others, then HOW do you have the right to force people to live painful lives?!

Shakyamunison
If you don't have the freedom to cause pain to others, then HOW do you have the right to force people to live painful lives?!

Force? Do we FORCE people to do anything? How would you FORCE anyone to do anything?

With freedom comes responsibility. If you neglect your responsibility, your freedoms goes away.

Now, why do you want to hurt people?

King Kandy
Force? Do we FORCE people to do anything? How would you FORCE anyone to do anything?

With freedom comes responsibility. If you neglect your responsibility, your freedoms goes away.

Now, why do you want to hurt people?

You want to prevent people from killing themselves. That is forcing them to stay alive.

No. Pretty much the definition of a "right" is something that doesn't go away no matter what. If it isn't inalienable then it's only a privilege.

Where did you draw that comment from anything I had said?

Shakyamunison
You want to prevent people from killing themselves. That is forcing them to stay alive.

No. Pretty much the definition of a "right" is something that doesn't go away no matter what. If it isn't inalienable then it's only a privilege.

Where did you draw that comment from anything I had said?

There is a difference between forcing someone to stay alive, and saying they do not have the right to take their own life if there is any other alternative.

Right are given. Inalienable rights are still given, and can be taken away. There would be no death penalty if that wasn't true.

You are the one talking about causing pain and equating it to freedom.

Bardock42
There is a difference between forcing someone to stay alive, and saying they do not have the right to take their own life if there is any other alternative.

Right are given. Inalienable rights are still given, and can be taken away. There would be no death penalty if that wasn't true.

You are the one talking about causing pain and equating it to freedom.

That's all backwards. Rights aren't given. Rights are freedoms that haven't been outlawed away by a particular governing body.

Seriously, people should start understanding that the default is everything is allowed not nothing is allowed but some things are granted by our loving overlords.

Robtard

Threats often work. IE, I put a gun to a love one's head and say, 'suck that horse's cock or I pull the trigger.'

Now, I'm pretty sure (about 94.7%) you don't normally suck on horse cock, yet you would in this hypothetical scenario to save the life of someone dear to you, ergo, you've just been "forced" to do something you didn't want to.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Robtard
Threats often work. IE, I put a gun to a love one's head and say, 'suck that horse's cock or I pull the trigger.'

Now, I'm pretty sure (about 94.7%) you don't normally suck on horse cock, yet you would in this hypothetical scenario to save the life of someone dear to you, ergo, you've just been "forced" to do something you didn't want to.

That's brilliant. roll eyes (sarcastic) Of course, it had nothing to do with what I was talking about, but why let that get in the way?

Robtard
That's brilliant. roll eyes (sarcastic) Of course, it had nothing to do with what I was talking about, but why let that get in the way?

Hey, you asked the question, don't throw a tantrum now that I've shown you.

Shakyamunison
Hey, you asked the question, don't throw a tantrum now that I've shown you.

Buzzzzzzz The correct answer was LAW. You loose 20 points.

Robtard
Buzzzzzzz The correct answer was LAW. You loose 20 points.

Maybe you should words things better.

Shakyamunison
Maybe you should words things better.

Maybe I should win the lottery, and hire a secretary to post on this forum for me.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>