Is Luke Skywalker a Mary Sue?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Survivor19
In the late books i start getting the impression that Skywalker is broken, as evidenced by the curstomp battles he delivered to a number of characers.
Your opinions? Do you agree?

mattatom
He's older?

Nephthys
Wut?

And yes, he is certainly a Sue. Though he has good reason to be. Plus he's pretty stupid and easily manipulated. But he's still too much more powefull than every other character in the books, its getting to the point where he's never in any danger.

Ms.Marvel
hes only a stu in terms of power. but personality wise hes dumb as shit which limits his powers! hes like the peter patrelli of star wars.

REXXXX
Haha, so true...

Gideon
Kinda. Depends on who's writing him. There are times when he is clearly a Deus Ex Machina; there are other times when he struggles with nobodies like Lumiya, Lady Rhea, et al.

truejedi
I'd like to reiterate how Lumiya is hardly a nobody. Lumiya owned Mara Jade, for example. A nobody, in my humble opinion, would be a Johun or a Bandon.

mattatom
Originally posted by truejedi
I'd like to reiterate how Lumiya is hardly a nobody. Lumiya owned Mara Jade, for example. A nobody, in my humble opinion, would be a Johan or a Bandon. Do not lump Bandon in with this 'Johan' who i'm pretty sure, doesn't exist.

truejedi
Originally posted by mattatom
Do not lump Bandon in with this 'Johan' who i'm pretty sure, doesn't exist.

say what now? doesn't exist? whatever are you talking about? And now you have misspelled his name! how silly of you! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Gideon
truejedi
I'd like to reiterate how Lumiya is hardly a nobody. Lumiya owned Mara Jade, for example.

She must have "owned" Mara Jade in somewhere other than the Legacy of the Force series.

Lumiya, like Mara Jade, was an exceptionally skilled spy and assassin. Not a prolific duelist or Master of the Force. She is nobody compared to any of the true greats. Do you honestly see Palpatine struggling with her? With either of them? With both of them at the same time? Or Yoda? Or Dooku? Or Mace? Or Vader? Or Marek? Or Maul? Or Qui-Gon?

truejedi
in the book before sacrifice(which i don't own),I think i remember that Mara makes a fatal error directly before she and Lumiya are grabbed by ship.

Though in the final fight with lumiya and Luke,it was incredibly one-sided.

of course not, to all of those listed opponents, but one doesn't have to be Yoda to avoid being a "nobody". If you used Nobody on someone like Lumiya, you have nothing left with which to christen the actual nobodies.

Gideon
truejedi
in the book before sacrifice(which i don't own),I think i remember that Mara makes a fatal error directly before she and Lumiya are grabbed by ship.

The fight between them is roughly even; Mara and Lumiya each nearly kill each other. While Mara ends up worse off, it's because she's completely organic whereas Lumiya is the beneficiary of mechanical supplements. Nowhere is it one sided.

Oh Lord. Please, please don't go there again. Luke did not WTFpwn her in a dazzling display of superior skill or technique. He was pissed and, like Anakin to Obi-Wan, simply pushed her back until she lost her footing and nearly fell to her death. He did not disarm her, crush her, annihilate her.

She's a nobody compared to those people. They wouldn't struggle with her.

overlord
nice sig gideon

Survivor19
I sense contradiction between these 2 sentences. )))

Truth to be told i kinda liked Lumiya. Compared to Jacen, she was a shining paragon of sense and style.
But... you know, all she should've really done to actually succeed with her goals was to let herself be arrested/killed in the Sacrifice. And she, in fact, knew that and pointed that to Jacen. Strange...

Red Nemesis
So "pushing her back until she loses her footing and falls to her death" is WTFpwning her with a dazzling display of skill or technique?

truejedi
i would say what he did to push her off the cliff DEFINITLY qualifies as a "technique." according to the definition of a technique. So yes, i'd say, his technique, to drive her back and off the cliff,was dazzingly successful.

Ms.Marvel
luke never intentionally performs techniques that would kill someone, hes just too stupid to realize whats lethal and what isnt.

truejedi
he was pretty BadA in that though.

He catches her as she starts to fall, says "I'll never let you fall." and then cuts her head off. Ridiculous.

What was there history again? There was romance there someplace, wasn't there?

Ms.Marvel
luke didnt mean to behead her though

Gideon
Well, as cute as that is, it doesn't make a bit of difference. In fact, Lumiya is the one who has the upper hand during the initial portion of the fight,

"And then cracked , sending forks of dark energy crackling into the ground at his feet, making him jump back before he sprand forward again and brought the lightsaber around in a right-to-left arc that she parried with the whips handle. He leapt out of range of the whirling tails again and again, then she paused and he edged closer again."

"She drew back her arm and brought the lightwhip crackling through the air, missing Luke by centimeters. He lunged at her again and again, driven back each time. She'd slow sooner or later. But so would he."

Luke attempts to attack are constantly nullified and he, in fact, loses ground.

When she tries to raise the whip again, he rushes in and denies her the chance to "get the whip traveling at its maximum lethal speed." It says he forced her back, step by step, as she tried to maintain the distance she needed .

"One -- two -- three -- four; she blocked him, handle held this way, then that, using the whip like a short lightsaber to deflect him. But Luke didn't pause or shift direction to wrong-foot her. He drove her like a battering ram toward the edge of the mesa, pushing her within meters, then a step, of the edge.

Lumiya held the whip handle in both hands like a staff and blocked his downward sweep. For a moment they were locked in a stalemate, pushing against each other and grunting with the effort, with only sounds of exertion because they had nothing left to say to each other."

And then she lost her footing.

Sorry, TJ, that's not a dazzling display of superior technique, period. So let it go.

truejedi
Obviously you missed the word-play with the word 'technique'. If he had chosen to run away and hide, that would have been a technique in dealing with her.

We have all read the passage.

Survivor19
Looks like pretty good technique for me )

Venomanzer
No, but he smokes Mary Jane.

KingD19
He's screwed up waaaay too much to be a Gary Stu.

Ms.Marvel
how could he even be a gary stu? his name is luke not gary roll eyes (sarcastic)

Fire Ant
You guys ever play Soul Calibur? You know how sometimes you're whoopin on someone and then they get lucky and ring you out? That's almost unanimously regarded as a cheap move that doesn't accurately display how that battle would play out in a closed arena.

I like Lumiya. Not a top tier, but not a nobody either.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Gideon
Well, as cute as that is, it doesn't make a bit of difference. In fact, Lumiya is the one who has the upper hand during the initial portion of the fight,

"And then cracked , sending forks of dark energy crackling into the ground at his feet, making him jump back before he sprand forward again and brought the lightsaber around in a right-to-left arc that she parried with the whips handle. He leapt out of range of the whirling tails again and again, then she paused and he edged closer again."

"She drew back her arm and brought the lightwhip crackling through the air, missing Luke by centimeters. He lunged at her again and again, driven back each time. She'd slow sooner or later. But so would he."

Luke attempts to attack are constantly nullified and he, in fact, loses ground.

When she tries to raise the whip again, he rushes in and denies her the chance to "get the whip traveling at its maximum lethal speed." It says he forced her back, step by step, as she tried to maintain the distance she needed .

"One -- two -- three -- four; she blocked him, handle held this way, then that, using the whip like a short lightsaber to deflect him. But Luke didn't pause or shift direction to wrong-foot her. He drove her like a battering ram toward the edge of the mesa, pushing her within meters, then a step, of the edge.

Lumiya held the whip handle in both hands like a staff and blocked his downward sweep. For a moment they were locked in a stalemate, pushing against each other and grunting with the effort, with only sounds of exertion because they had nothing left to say to each other."

And then she lost her footing.

Sorry, TJ, that's not a dazzling display of superior technique, period. So let it go.

Maybe not but it sure as heck won the fight.

Anyway no, Luke isn't a "Gary Stu" character. He may be overly powerful but he usually holds back in battle.

Plus it isn't just a question of power. A "Gary Stu/Mary Sue" is generally defined as being perfect, infallible, is always right etc. Luke is powerful but he's not perfect and has made his share of blunders.

Originally posted by truejedi
What was there history again? There was romance there someplace, wasn't there?

Yes. Luke and Shira Brie (Lumiya's real name) were involved for a time while she was a working undercover. He was responsible for her becoming a cyborg when he shot down her fighter (he didn't know it was her).

Lord Lucien
Hello, I'm a delayed response. What's your name?

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Hello, I'm a delayed response. What's your name?

Hello a delayed response. You can call me chilled monkey. Everyone around here does.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.