The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MildPossession
It's been out since last year in places like Sweden and France, but it's finally gettting a release in Britain here in March, should be near the same date for America too, this is one of the better trailers out, the British trailer, adore the black ink effects in between shots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCz-Tg6M0Z0

I saw it last year when it came out on dvd, it's a decent attempt at the first book of the trilogy by Larsson but found it somewhat disappointing, but look forwards to the next two films. The second(The Girl Who Played With Fire) is already out in Sweden I think, and a third is in production. The actress who plays Salender is perfect but wish her acting was a little better in some scenes.

I'm a big fan of the books. Anyone else? You will find trailers for the sequel, and a teaser for the third film also in the links.

An American remake is on the way...

Impediment
Not surprised in the least about the remake.

MildPossession
Apparently, Natalie Portman, Kristen Stewart, and Ellen Page are rumoured to be in the running to play the lead female character Lisbeth Salender.

The Nuul
Looks great, the UK version anyways. The US version can go and jump off of a bridge into shit creek....

That ACDC Chick
i remember trying to read the book
it was too boring so i never got far though stick out tongue

MildPossession
Boring? how could you find it boring. The second book is the most exciting. You would probably be bored with the third book though...

That ACDC Chick
ill have to try again when i get the chance

MildPossession
For those who want to see th sequel and have multi region, the dvd is out already I think. Bump...

MildPossession
Oh, Kristen Stewart is still up for the role, and apparently it is between her and Carey Mulligan. And David Fincher might be directing it?

MildPossession
Carey Mulligan has won the role.

MildPossession
No she hasn't...

dadudemon
I'm too lazy...

What is the story about? (just an intro...like, girl is r@ped and she gets supernatural powers and gets revenge or something.)

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon
I'm too lazy...

What is the story about? (just an intro...like, girl is r@ped and she gets supernatural powers and gets revenge or something.)

Watch the original series of films. I think you'd like them.

The first deals with a murder/mystery; you'd like he female lead, she's a rebel and has a genius-level intellect.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
Watch the original series of films. I think you'd like them.

The first deals with a murder/mystery; you'd like he female lead, she's a rebel and has a genius-level intellect.

lol

Is it like Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code? (Not the religious portion, but solving riddles and clues to track down a murderer and get to the bottom of a mystery.....well, that sounds similar to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's stories, too.)

The Nuul
I am trying to watch this movie, so far its boring.

Darth Vicious
I recently watched all 3 movies. The first one is my favorite. Its starts kinda slow but it picks up by mid movie. Its pretty much a stand alone story which has bits and pieces of information of the female lead which are later explored in the second and third movies.

As for the remake, I dont see why they would even remake this since it came out last year. Ellen Page is my choice for the female lead. I wonder if she'll be able to do some of the scenes that were done in the original.

MildPossession
No to the solving riddles like in Da Vinci Code. But there are a few mysteries in the film to solve. Lisbeth Salender is one of the best characters to come out of the book/film world for a long time, she's fantastic and memorable. Recommend reading the books, the first two are the best, third might drag for some people because there are a lot of scenes based in court.

I've seen worse in American films, so don't see why they can't do certain scenes that were in the original. Ellen Page has already been in something rather strong, An American Crime, think it was called this.

MildPossession
It looks like the actress out of the names above that might be the top contender for the role of Salender will be Rooney Mara.

We shall see.

Robtard
That'd be good, as she's nice to look at.

I don't see why they wouldn't carry over the more harsher scenes into the US film, as oral-rape and anal-rape have been in US films before. But you never know, it's the US film industry.

RocasAtoll
Yeah, they've been in America cinema, just never in something with a bigger budget.

BruceSkywalker
read a few things about this... might go see

MildPossession
Yeah but the rape isn't just on Salender, she gets her revenge by shoving a dildo up the rapists arse.

Robtard
Clearly, he enjoyed it.

Nephthys
He really didn't enjoy the next part though (and he didn't like the first that much either).

K.Diddy
erm Anyone able to find a dvd release date in Aus?

Blinky
Saw it. Enjoyed it.

eyoung

MildPossession
Yes thanks for pointing out the obvious newbie bot...

2nd of September in Australia apparently.

Robtard
He/she/It has contributed more here than you.

MildPossession
Yes of course, a lot more. That's why I reported He/She/It because of my insane jealousy.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by MildPossession

2nd of September in Australia apparently.

smokin' Thankyou

MildPossession
I've had it on dvd since last year. Australia sucks. stick out tongue

K.Diddy
I've had it on dvd since last year. Australia sucks. stick out tongue

no expression I know

residentevil3D
its ok. Its starts slow but it picks up by later half of the movie.

MildPossession
Officially announced by the film company making it, the role of Lisbeth Salender has gone to Rooney Mara, the one that was rumoured to be Fincher's favourite for the role.

BruceSkywalker
Officially announced by the film company making it, the role of Lisbeth Salender has gone to Rooney Mara, the one that was rumoured to be Fincher's favourite for the role.

she looks just like her sister

K.Diddy
smokin' I got the dvd yesterday,I shall watch it tonight

K.Diddy
smokin' I watched this movie last night and I was very impressed,This movie had some very strong scenes in it and the characters were good,I have no real problems with this movie at all,Very intense well put together movie,I cant wait to see the rest of the trilogy

Super Marie 64
That'd be good, as she's nice to look at.

I don't see why they wouldn't carry over the more harsher scenes into the US film, as oral-rape and anal-rape have been in US films before. But you never know, it's the US film industry.

That is strange. The original version (Swedish) is very vulgar. I haven't seen the English version, but I can't imagine it's the same without its extent of vulgarity.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Super Marie 64
That is strange. The original version (Swedish) is very vulgar. I haven't seen the English version, but I can't imagine it's the same without its extent of vulgarity.

erm There isn't an English version yet

traglee
Thanks for Stieg Larsson...

jimeshten
According to me !! I recently watched all - 3 movies. The first one is my favorite. Its starts kinda slow but it picks up by mid movie. Its pretty much a stand alone story which has bits and pieces of information of the female lead which are later explored in the second and third movies. As for the remake, I don't see why They would even remake This since, It came out last year. Ellen Page is my choice for the female lead. I wonder, If, she will be able to do some of the scenes that were done in the original idea. That'd be good, as she's nice to look at.

MildPossession
The lead was picked for the remake weeks ago.

Robtard
The lead was picked for the remake weeks ago.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/100816/Tattoo-Rooney-Scarlet-Wind_320.jpg

She's hot. Who's playing the fat slob who sodomizes her?

Rogue Jedi
I've had this movie for a while, never watched it.

Robtard
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
I've had this movie for a while, never watched it.

You won't like it, it doesn't have vampires, ninjas or mass explosions.

See that, I just "pwned" all over your face, bro.

Rogue Jedi

See that, I just "pwned" all over your face, bro. Ninja. You wouldn't say Chineses.

Robtard
Ninja. You wouldn't say Chineses.

Or 'ninjas', both can be the plural.

Rogue Jedi
Sure.

Robtard
Sure.

Go ask Merriam-Webster, if you think I'm lying.

Rogue Jedi
K.

K.Diddy

laughing out loud

BruceSkywalker
first red band trailer

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/hot-red-band-trailer-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/

siriuswriter
awesomeness.

Esau Cairn
I watched & loved the strength of the 1st movie (Girl/Dragon Tattoo) which got me to read the 2nd novel (still waiting to see actual film).

As much as Lisbeth's character intrigued me...I kinda think applying all the political conspiracies & corruption to her childhood was somewhat unrealistic. It kinda takes the focus away from what potential Lisbeth can do now rather than dwell on her past...

LincolnDark
great movie although a bit unsettling. performances from craig and rooney were convincing

JodiJeff
Saw it tonight, ending was hilarious, jilted by a love interest.

A definite strong R rating.

She got the money, but not the honey. ROFLMAO!!!

siriuswriter
Obviously the rape scenes didn't put you off the rest of the movie. But then I don't know your level of seeing disturbing things. Can you compare it to a disturbing scene in another movie? Like, was it better or worse than the rape scene from Clockwork Orange?

Also, I saw the Swedish version - and was just fine. How does it compare to that.

jinXed by JaNx
so is this better than the original ?

McNasty996
I saw this movie and liked it a lot, I personally think the rape scene was a bit more graphic than A Clockwork Orange. I've never sad the books and am actually thinking of purchasing the entire series. I highly recommend the movie.

RE: Blaxican
Nothing in this movie was all that disturbing, but I'm notoriously hard to disturb, so whatever.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. I never read the books (and now have no intention of ever doing so), so the plot had some mystery to it. Overall the movie appealed to more as a character study than as an actual mystery movie, though.

The biggest complaint I had was that it was hard for me to follow what was going on. There were an awful lot of rapid scene transitions, quick close ups of computer screens, pictures and books, that were supposed to clue you in on what was going on. But I couldn't keep up with that or the huge cast of people (the family alone had like 10 different people, none of whose names I can remember). So by the end of the movie I was pretty lost.

Still, decent movie.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
The biggest complaint I had was that it was hard for me to follow what was going on. There were an awful lot of rapid scene transitions, quick close ups of computer screens, pictures and books, that were supposed to clue you in on what was going on. But I couldn't keep up with that or the huge cast of people (the family alone had like 10 different people, none of whose names I can remember). So by the end of the movie I was pretty lost.

Still, decent movie.

Hm.. in that case I might save my money. I mean, yeah, I like Fincher a lot; his stuff's always really good, but some of his stuff (like Zodiac, for example, and The Social Network) gets a little convoluted to me. And this looks like it might be kind of similar to Zodiac. And I've never seen the original or read the books, or whatever. I know nothing about it. Might just wait for Netflix. Appreciate the heads up.

LincolnDark
Nothing in this movie was all that disturbing, but I'm notoriously hard to disturb, so whatever.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. I never read the books (and now have no intention of ever doing so), so the plot had some mystery to it. Overall the movie appealed to more as a character study than as an actual mystery movie, though.

Still, decent movie.

it definitely felt like a mystery movie to me...there were so many questions that came into my mind at first, then it just unraveled gradually revealing more about Harriet and that day. I was interested in how the story would end and although some details were hard to follow (such as the second arc of the movie) i thought that the director conveyed his story very effectively.

I for one was unsettled by the scenes in the movie...

siriuswriter
Well, I've read the first two books and if it moves so quickly as is being said, I'll be glad for the background.

I think I'll have to wait until DVD - no one will want to go see this with me except my Dad might... but that would be really, really awkward. He hates it when i say "oh my god!!" and sitting through all the swearing and violence and rape and sex would not be good for our relationship...

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by siriuswriter
I think I'll have to wait until DVD - no one will want to go see this with me except my Dad might... but that would be really, really awkward. He hates it when i say "oh my god!!" and sitting through all the swearing and violence and rape and sex would not be good for our relationship...

Haha, I know how you feel. My dad isn't cool, either. I have to go see stuff like this with my mom. lol. Or my girlfriend. She's the coolest, she doesn't mind a little swearing and violence.

siriuswriter
My mom was the one who turned me on to the book.

The book is WHY she's not seeing it in theatres.

jinXed by JaNx
I just recently watched the original and, wow! It was so slow and looong. I have no desire to see the remake regardless of Craig and Fincher's involvement.

Well, I've read the first two books and if it moves so quickly as is being said, I'll be glad for the background.

I think I'll have to wait until DVD - no one will want to go see this with me except my Dad might... but that would be really, really awkward. He hates it when i say "oh my god!!" and sitting through all the swearing and violence and rape and sex would not be good for our relationship... I'll watch it with you. You can even jump into my lap with a squeal when she whips out the giant dildo.

BruceSkywalker
just saw this.. I paid attention from the very beginning. it is so easy to figure out from the get go.. thought that Rooney Mara played Lisbeth well... I liked it..

now will watch the original on dvd real soon

siriuswriter
I'll watch it with you. You can even jump into my lap with a squeal when she whips out the giant dildo.

Oh, thank you honey-bunches-of-oats!

Except for the "whipping out the dildo" part. Wouldn't that be your turn to squeal? laughing

Rapscallion
i wish it had been a little more "se7en" and a little less "zodiac"

The material in it is so trashy and the book is so trashy, i wish Fincher would go a little more nuts with it.

This american version is just too modestly tasteful when it should be audaciously tasteless.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Rapscallion

Mm. Just as I suspected. Count me out, then. I might catch it on Netflix at some point.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by Rapscallion

The material in it is so trashy and the book is so trashy, i wish Fincher would go a little more nuts with it.

This american version is just too modestly tasteful when it should be audaciously tasteless.

So I take it you've seen the Swedish version then? How do you think they compare?

srankmissingnin
Went to see it today by myself because none of my friends could be convinced to come with me. sad

Personally I would say this version is much better than the Swedish version. The camera work / cinematography, the sound design / score and most importantly the pacing of the film are all head and shoulders above the Swedish version which makes a much more thrilling and suspenseful film. I liked the original, but 20% of it could have been cut, and it would have been a better more cohesive and concise movie. I'm not even talking about cutting out scenes or any real content, the scenes in the original just draaaaaaaaaaaaaag on for no reason what so ever, Fincher's version added stuff that wasn't in the original film and even though I think it might be a few minutes longer, it doesn't fell that way, which is important. The acting in both films is excellent but Fincher's version is a much more exciting vision with a much better sense of pace and direction than the original.

Also Rooney Mara looks more like a girl with a dragon tattoo, Noomi was defiantly a woman with a dragon tattoo. Not a big deal, but I think the casting was a bit better in that regard.

Rapscallion
So I take it you've seen the Swedish version then? How do you think they compare?

I agree with pretty much everything srankmissingnin said. Definitely preferred the american version although they are pretty similar. the american one is just a little slicker, more professional, better cinematography, moves a little better, and has more thoughtful performances. The difference in performances is the big difference for me. Noomi Rapace was good in the swedish one, but she was kind of this cyber-punk-badass-avenging angel. Roony Mara is much more wounded and vulnerable. She and Fincher really seem to want to bring out how traumatizing her past is. Mara's being much younger definitely helps get this across.

siriuswriter
From a person who's read the book this movie was an intense disappointment. "Wounded and vulnerable" is just not Lisbeth Salander. She lets down her cover, but not that much, and only with Mikael, and only in a certain mood. I also didn't like how they had Lisbeth like... force sex on Mikael. That went against everything that her trauma did to her.

I think one of the main problems for me was that there was hardly any sense of the passage of time. It all seemed to be happening within a week. There were some bits that were taken from the second book, for instance Lisbeth discovering her old guardian, and visiting him at the nursing home.

With the investigation, it seemed that the things that should have been simple were complicated, and the things that should have been complicated were too simple. In the book, They are able to track down Harriet through Anita. It's exactly the way it was in the movie, with the hacker guys in the back of a van, frenzily monitoring all Anita's connections. She calls Australia, and that turns out to be where Harriet is. Harriet also becomes the CEO of the company, and the information that Henrik then gives Mikael helps him devote an entire Millenium issue to the Wennerstroms.

My friend saw it with me, she thought it was okay... but not good, not worth spending our money on, definitely. And then I told her about some of the changes
Ugh Mikael Bloomkvist is supposed to be old, fat, so his personality is what makes him more "attractive." He was much too handsome, much too sleek and chic and seriously, going out into the wilds of Sweden with only his business suit jacket? Someone from Sweden has got to know better! Definitely a role that someone should have taped "No Screen Idols" all over.

The set/background was good, the performances were good but not "right," plot sucked more than it was good, casting was fail, and a bitter aftertaste.... I'd give this film a whopping 2/5, only rescued by the performances and the setting. BLEAGH.

Leech, save your money.

Myth
I probably would have enjoyed the new one had I not seen the original. But the original girl was a better actress (She was just more intense during the revenge scene and other scenes), the chemistry between the girl and the guy was better (his reaction was more awkward acceptance of her which made more sense than full acceptance; the dialog just gave more meaning to their relationship such as "You know everything about me, and I know nothing about you"wink. The reveal of clues seemed more tactful in the original. The ending of the original didn't go on forever (really? Did we really need all the follow up details that the bad guy businessman who we saw all of 30 seconds had to be murdered for American audiences to be satisfied? The original was better in that it didn't take forever to wrap up after the climax). I really wished the remake didn't take place in Sweden and still have everybody speak English. If they wanted people to speak English, at least make the movie take place in a primarily English speaking country. Another irritation was that this movie had no new spin on the movie. Instead, the biggest changes were that they removed any subtlety, which just feels like they are speaking down to the American audiences: "Oh, I hope you like **** sex." Did they think American's wouldn't understand what was happening without that line? There were several other lines too where the American version spelled out things for the audience when it was completely unnecessary. Also, they ruined the telling of the background of the girl with the tattoo. The new one made her seem sad and crazy, but didn't do a good job linking the too. The original was better making you empathize for the trauma she went through.

Overall, this was a completely unnecessary remake that offered nothing new. The only thing it was good for was to dumb down the original and make it in English so they could make money off of the ignorant American audiences. I miss the good ole days of Fincher with Fight Club, Se7en, and The Game. His last few movies have been drab to me.

I'm glad I haven't read the books, then, as I enjoyed the movie quite a bit.

On the other hand though, it also kind of sucked.

Esau Cairn
From a person who's read the book this movie was an intense disappointment. "Wounded and vulnerable" is just not Lisbeth Salander. She lets down her cover, but not that much, and only with Mikael, and only in a certain mood. I also didn't like how they had Lisbeth like... force sex on Mikael. That went against everything that her trauma did to her.

That's the entire point as you said, "only in a certain mood."
Lisbeth may have had a traumatic upbringing but there was still no denying that she enjoyed her sexual encounters, when she was in the mood & in control too.

She clearly wasn't the abused submissive victim that had flash-backs of past abuse every time she was in a sexual situation.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.