Comics you'd like to read/get into, but haven't yet

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JakeTheBank
Whether it's due in part to your monetary situation, lack of time to devote to it, unavailability to find, or just pure laziness, is there a comic series or storyline you've always wanted to read or look into, but for whatever reason, haven't?

AlmightyKfish
Sandman/Lucifer

All I've managed to read so far is Season Of Mists collection, simply because they had that at the Library one time, and money is the problem for the rest of them...

willRules
Fables

chomperx9
i wanted to get into the DC comics presents series. i have most of the comics in the series and ive only read 3 or 5 of em. i just grabbed em all at comic book store cause they where all half off even got the #26 with GL i believe thats the 1st apperance of the teen titans together as a team.

il probably get to em one of these days.

WickedDynamite
I'd would love to get back to the Daredevil comics again. I just don't feel like giving Marvel any money that they don't deserved. Also, for awhile now I been developing a interest on Top Cow comics. There is also the Elephant Men from Image that really caught my attention.

BruceSkywalker
The Authority/Midnighter comics, I have only read an issue here and there

Kazenji
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
I'd would love to get back to the Daredevil comics again. I just don't feel like giving Marvel any money that they don't deserved. .

Seriously theres still some good comics getting released from Marvel not all of them have gone to shit.

Disappear
doom patrol

Alpha Centauri
F.V.Z.A., for sure.

Originally posted by Kazenji
Seriously theres still some good comics getting released from Marvel not all of them have gone to shit.

He's trolling, don't feed him

The irony is that Daredevil is probably Marvel's most consistently good/great series, and has been for years.

Just goes to show what he knows.

-AC

Kazenji
Green Lantern.

steverules_2
Deadpool

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by steverules_2
Deadpool

As someone who owns all his appearances ever, I'd say don't bother.

Not with the current on-going anyway.

It's shit. First 12 issues were good, but beyond that it's garbage. They pay no attention to his character and he's been reduced to a punching bag joke machine.

-AC

steverules_2
Well thats lame sad Marvel seem to mess up their best characters, I'll never forget when they had Peter Parker walk in on his Aunt having sex facepalm

Kazenji
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

The irony is that Daredevil is probably Marvel's most consistently good/great series, and has been for years.

Well one of anyway

Secret Warriors is another good series if your into the spy/espionage thing.

Alpha Centauri
Daredevil has been consistently good/great for way longer.

I haven't read a bad Daredevil issue since Kevin Smith wrote the comic, and I've been there the whole time.

Well thats lame sad Marvel seem to mess up their best characters, I'll never forget when they had Peter Parker walk in on his Aunt having sex facepalm

It's not because there's nobody who can write Deadpool, it's because he's Marvel's current cash cow, or newest one at least.

The only reason I buy his main series is because I'd rather them find a new writer than cancel it.

-AC

steverules_2
Yeah, I wouldn't like to see deadpool cancelled, he's one of my favorite marvel characters and has the potential to have some really good storylines

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by Kazenji

There probably are but my faves have gone down the drain.

SamZED
Yeah, I wouldn't like to see deadpool cancelled, he's one of my favorite marvel characters and has the potential to have some really good storylines That's the problem, they think Deadpool's presence in comics is enough and do not bother to write interesting stories, he barely interacts with anyone.

steverules_2
Its stupid what marvel will do with some their characters, I love deadpool...he's great and he can be soooo funny, like the time he prank called people or when Rhino got shrunk and deadpool flushed him down the toilet

Alpha Centauri
Its stupid what marvel will do with some their characters, I love deadpool...he's great and he can be soooo funny, like the time he prank called people or when Rhino got shrunk and deadpool flushed him down the toilet

What do you actually know of Deadpool? Have you actually read any of his original series?

Because that's seemingly where this current wave of overkill came from; people online who just knew him as that funny guy.

Not saying you are one of those, it's just that you only seem to be able to reference comedic pieces of his history. Have you ever read any of his more serious arcs (Well, as serious as Deadpool can get)?

-AC

steverules_2
What do you actually know of Deadpool? Have you actually read any of his original series?

Because that's seemingly where this current wave of overkill came from; people online who just knew him as that funny guy.

Not saying you are one of those, it's just that you only seem to be able to reference comedic pieces of his history. Have you ever read any of his more serious arcs (Well, as serious as Deadpool can get)?

-AC

I have seen a few original issues but not many, I even have his first appearence, I would like to see more of his original stuff. I dunno he had any serious arcs.

Alpha Centauri
He has one of the most tragic and layered origins in all of Marvel.

You wouldn't know it from the current series, though.

-AC

AlmightyKfish
Meh, I don't mind Way's DP series, it's fun, and it's consistently funny (bar a few Pool'o'visions that have been hit and miss)

I mean, so far there's been nothing in it that is as good as my favourite DP arc (Simone's finale arc in his original series), but it's pretty good, imo.

I haven't checked out Merc w/ a Mouth though, because one ongoing is enough to follow for one character, so I didn't bother.

Alpha Centauri
Way has good moments, but his flaw is that he doesn't give a shit about Deadpool.

It's clear how he sees the character and he's being wasted. Still, he's the one writing it and I'm not. Who am I to argue? Each person has a different take. I just feel that there are way more writers that would pay respect to all of the set-up that came before.

Way has explicitly said he doesn't care about Deadpool's continuity.

The fourth wall breaking is more or less gone, the pop culture references are more or less gone. Deadpool's sarcastic, corrosive, dark wit is all gone. He never wins ANY fights now; this is the man who beat Taskmaster while all his limbs were shackled, and now he's a punch bag. I hate the Pool-o-Vision and I hate this two-voices-in-his-head nonsense.

If you can't write Deadpool great, don't give us three Deadpools that you're gonna write mediocrity for.

Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth is good, consistently ok maybe. If Gischler could write serious stories, I'd say he should be the main series writer.

-AC

aztec
I want to read Blue Beetle, but each time I decide to purchase the comic, instead I spend my money on trades I really enjoy or have been wanting to read for a long time. I've heard great things about Blue Beetle. Yes, I know its been out for a couple of years. But, I still want to give it a try.

I drop Booster Gold, but want to start collecting the trades. Its cheaper than buying the issues indiviudally, however, I hate waiting six month for DC to publish them.

Badabing
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Whether it's due in part to your monetary situation, lack of time to devote to it, unavailability to find, or just pure laziness, is there a comic series or storyline you've always wanted to read or look into, but for whatever reason, haven't? I read everything I want! sneer

stick out tongue

Star Trek comics are on my "to read" list. They are expensive though. sad I am glad I started reading Booster Gold and Secret Warriors.

Disappear
He has one of the most tragic and layered origins in all of Marvel.

You wouldn't know it from the current series, though.

-AC

from the deadpool issues i've read involving his origin, he's either wade wilson, or killed wade wilson or he actually WAS wade and t-ray just hates him, or some other twisted back-and-forth idea. something about his dad being a drunk was in cable and deadpool, too. aside from that, what's really his origin? didn't he explicitly say it depended on who was writing him at one point?

Kazenji
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
There probably are but my faves have gone down the drain.

Such as?

Digi
Always wanted to go back and read the full Planetary series. I've read maybe 1/3 of their stuff, enough to know that it's awesome.

Otherwise, I follow everything I want to. There's not much on my to-read list, and only a few are must-buys for me every time they come out (Authority, Doctor Who, that might be it) though I usually follow 8-10 titles at any given time.

Endless Mike
Books of Magic, and a lot of X-Men stuff

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Disappear
from the deadpool issues i've read involving his origin, he's either wade wilson, or killed wade wilson or he actually WAS wade and t-ray just hates him, or some other twisted back-and-forth idea. something about his dad being a drunk was in cable and deadpool, too. aside from that, what's really his origin? didn't he explicitly say it depended on who was writing him at one point?

Yeah, but he IS Wade Wilson, simply because that's the name he registered in the Army with. Additionally, there's something about him wearing the costume in T-Ray's flashbacks and how he MUST be Wade Wilson because he never got that costume until post-Army.

I can't remember exactly what it is, but yeah. Something happened that more or less clarified it.

-AC

Allankles
I've wanted to read some of Blue beetle titles but never got around to it. Fables, post Advesary meta arc. Nothing else comes to mind except maybe a couple of series in Vertigo. I might get into invincibles, dead pool and the like but I'm not sure I want to put in the time to catch up.

kgkg
Originally posted by AlmightyKfish
Sandman/Lucifer Go for it both are extremely good imo.

Original Smurph
Originally posted by AlmightyKfish
Sandman/Lucifer

Both of those.

Also Planetary, some Hellblazer (enough to know whether I'd like it or not), Books of Magic... I'm sure there's lots more.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Sandman/Lucifer

I've read 100 Bullets, Y: The Last Man, Planetary, Preacher etc. caught up with Fables plus some other comics but I can never seem to find the time to read that series.

Disappear
i've read some sandman. it's difficult to get into as a casual reader, especially with so much going on as backstory. you can't really become a reader of sandman without reading the whole thing. at some point i downloaded the whole of sandman, but i got rid of it when i realized i didn't have the time or dedication to read everything.

planetary, despite its huge delays between the last few issues, was an amazing 27 issues of storytelling. i have a minor grudge against ellis, as i've explained in another thread and won't go into again, but he writes a damn good original story.

roughrider
- Lucifer. It sounded like a fascinating series; like to check it out from the beginning.

- Superman: For Tomorrow. I'm waiting for DC to put out a complete volume at last, like they finally did with Batman: Hush. Only that way expensive, ABSOLUTE hardcover version is out there.

- Deadpool volumes. I find I don't care very much about his continuity; I just love the wacky action, plot twists & black humour. Just wonder where to start.

Icy Ninja
Comics in general only ones I've read are Watchmen and Sinestro Corp War both were great and Spider-Man Maximum Carnage which was bad didn't help with all the years of history of the Character. Currently I'm Trying my Luck with the Ultimate Marvel Universe which is going great wish DC would do something like this so I can read BatMan stories without being confused.

Disappear
DC had their "all-star" maxi-series for Superman and Batman. All-Star Superman was great, All-Star Batman is borderline unreadable.

JakeTheBank
I'd like to read the rest of Irredeemable. I bought the first issue, but never kept with it.

dmills
The Runaways, Thor disassembled, F.V.Z.A, Elephant men and 100 bullets. I stare at them at my local shop, but I just can't bring myself to pull out my wallet and buy them. Even though I want to.

pinksushi1
Cable and Deadpool Burnt Offering. Is that the only trade paper back in which we see a fully powered Cable?

Flameback
Runaways and Fable. I've read several issues of both and loved them all. It's just that lately I keep starting something new before I get back to reading one of those. In due time I'll get back to those...

Deadline
Invisibles, Doom Patrol, Ireedemable....

HueyFreeman
2000 A.D. but it has such an extensive history I dont know where to start.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.