Couple of Questions....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Vicious
Hello everybody, evil face , ive been wondering for a while about this and since my kids were watching the OT i was wondering, 1)-R2 met Obi Wan in Ep1 for the first time, then he met him again 10 yrs later in Episode 2, to me R2 is a droid and having met him twice yrs apart i would guess that he would remember Obi Wan in episode 4, yet Obi Wan acts like he never seen him before, why is that? 2)-when Luke is training with Yoda Obi wans gost appears and tells Yoda that he was his Teacher the one that trained him when in fact was Qui-Gon, Is it a mistake made by GL? 3)- Leia is reffered thru the whole movie as princess but in episode 2 Amidala is no longer a Queen but a senator, why is Leia called a princess if shes the daughter of a senator? 4)- How come 3po doesnt mention anything about Anakin/Vader when Anakin was his maker and being another droid should have known all along who he was, but is like he had no clue, being a droid he should have made the correlation, 5)-does anyone knows whos Anakin father was?
6)- How many books/novels were made after RoTJ expanding the SW mythology?, thanks

Dexx
1) that has been discuseed a lot, without any final conclusion.
2) dunno
3) the princess rank doesn't come from her mother's side but from bail organa's who has that leading role on alderaan.
4) we'll see how the transformation into vader goes, but i'm sure c3po won't be there. Other than that, the droid can't correlate vader with his creator...why would he...
5) anakin is supposed to be concieved by midichlorians
6) dunno

Darth Vicious
to 5, what u mean conceived by midichlorians, he didnt have a father then? so his mother is something like the virgin mary(NO OFFENSE INTENDED!!!!), could u further explain, thanks for the rsponse!

Ushgarak
1. The question is why R2-D2 claims to belong to Obi-Wan, though maybe Leia told the droid to treat Ben as his new owner. As it is, it is not as if Alec Guiness reacts to R2-D2 as a COMPLETE stranger. It seems acceptable enough.

2. Actually, Obi-Wan says that on Hoth before Luke meets Yoda. But it is no lie- Yoda gave Obi-Wan his basic training, the same basic training he wanted Luke to have. QGJ took over AFTER that point.

3. As Dexx says, this comes from her Alderan connections.

4. Much rumour about droid brain wipes exists, but really this cannot be answered until we see the next film.

5. As clearly stated, Anakin was probably conceived by the midi-chlorians. This has actually far more to do with Greek/Roman/Indian mythology than anything biblical

6. Over a hundred by now, I think- but none of it actually canonical.

KJ
1)-R2 met Obi Wan in Ep1 for the first time, then he met him again 10 yrs later in Episode 2, to me R2 is a droid and having met him twice yrs apart i would guess that he would remember Obi Wan in episode 4, yet Obi Wan acts like he never seen him before, why is that?

How many droids are there in the Galaxy? Millions.
The Star Wars Galaxy is filled with droids. They're everywhere. There are mechanics, food servers, medical droids, probe droids, battle-droids, protocol droids, pilots, assasins, there are droids who work in libraries, droids who fix broken windows, every job you can think of there is some kind of droid to do it.

So for people in the Star Wars Galaxy, droids are no big deal. They are around all the time. They go un-noticed.

Watch AOTC and you'll see this. R2 is usually there but he's in the background out of the way.

Obi-Wan doesn't spend much time with R2. In AOTC he spends more time with R4. It's not hard to imagine that Obi-Wan would forget about ONE particular droid in a galaxy full of them. Especially when R2 doesn't look any different from any other astro droid. Think about the first time we see R2 in TPM. He's in a line with 5 or 6 identical droids.

Droids in Star Wars aren't like pets. They're more like T.V's, or Microwaves. They do a job and when they brake, you get a new one.

2)-when Luke is training with Yoda Obi wans gost appears and tells Yoda that he was his Teacher the one that trained him when in fact was Qui-Gon, Is it a mistake made by GL?

Yoda teaches all Jedi when they are children (like we see in AOTC), then if they are good enough they become a PADAWAN and are given a Master.

Yoda tought Obi-Wan and then when he reached a certain age he was given to Qui-Gon.

3)- Leia is reffered thru the whole movie as princess but in episode 2 Amidala is no longer a Queen but a senator, why is Leia called a princess if shes the daughter of a senator?

This will have to be explained in Ep3. Like others have said, it's to do with Bail Organa and Alderaan.

4)- How come 3po doesnt mention anything about Anakin/Vader when Anakin was his maker and being another droid should have known all along who he was, but is like he had no clue, being a droid he should have made the correlation,

Again, something that has to be explained in Ep3. 3PO will probably have his memory erased. We know this happens because Owen tells Luke in ANH to take R2 to Anchor Head and have it's memory erased.

I read somewhere that some droids in Star Wars have to have their memory wiped because after a while, they start to develop personalities and become more human.

5)-does anyone knows whos Anakin father was?

Anakin was concieved by the midi-chlorians or the force. Like Ush said, it's not meant to be a Christian thing.

All through history and mythology, the hero has some kind of "special" or "unusual" birth. Alexander the Great, Hercules, Plato, Julius Ceaser etc. It's not a "virgin birth" because who's to say that Shmi is a virgin?

All we are told is that he was born without a father and then the Jedi figure out that he fullfills an ancient prophecy and was concieved by the force.

6) Don't know.

Ushgarak
The thing that far more readily sets up the idea of the mind wipe is 3P0 not recognising Tatooine. Mind you, 3P0 is a big lair, telling Luke he is not sure who the woman in the hologram is...

finti
and we dont know what role Bail has on Alderaan besides being a senator. But he probably has a royal title

Darth Vicious
WHATUP GUYS, THNKS FOR THE ANSWER, KJ U MENTIONED THAT AFTER A WHILE DROIDS START TO DEVELOPE FEELINGS AND BECOME MORE HUMAN, IS THAT WHY 3PO IS ALWAYS SHOWING FEELINGS EVEN THOU HE IS A DROID?

Ushgarak
Well, to be honest, he was showing the same personality even when newly created.

KJ
Darth Vicious - That's what I read.
3PO does have human traits when he's built but then he's a Protocol Droid so is designed to understand and help humans.
But he definatley gets worse as time goes on. In AOTC he's very "yes Master Anakin" and "yes Ms Padme". In the OT he is calling Han an "impossible man" and arguing back. He seems to be less polite and thinking for himself more.

Dexx
maybe it is all the sand in his circuits but i'll bet on Lucas not thinking THAT far in details.

Julie
I believe that the questions have been adequately answered....if you haven't read Eu by now.....START

Julie
wow....guess Darth vicious has no more quesitions

the_dodo
well, not ready to answer about most of them, but i think that the most probable answer for R2 not seeming to recognize OB1 would be that, in the star wars galaxy, when a droid passes to a new owner, the memory is generally wiped out... in fact, regular memory wipe-outs are quite normal in the expanded universe.. it is kind of like defragging your computer, you do it every once in a while to optimize performance. the reason that luke doesn't wipe out R2's memory in the old trilogy would be, besides the fact that he probably never thought about it, is that R2's extensive knowledge of luke's x-wing helped him to make decisions faster with repairs

GordonSkywalker
Yeah, I agree with that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.