Amber traffic light, brake or bomb?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok

jaden101
Get me Amber Lamps.

Mindship
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Just wondering how you react when you are approaching a set of traffic lights (signal US?). And your at the "critical point" when the lights change to amber (middle light), ie will I make it or not...

If I feel I can make it, I accelerate. If not, I brake.

Interestingly, years ago a friend of mine got a ticket for stopping too abruptly at a yellow light for fear of going through a red. The cop explained he could have caused an accident with the car behind him; he should've went through.

dadudemon
They say that you shouldn't stop if it's going to cause an accident or cause you to hurt yourself from the abrupt stop.

I am not worried about a ticket if it prevents my kids from getting hurt from dad driving like a maniac.

Bicnarok

Siraben Mai
Usually, I slam the breaks. I've had people rear end me a lot doing that, but at least I don't get killed.

Darth Jello
It depends on the part of town. There are parts of town where you will get hit because drivers will hit the gas as soon as the crosswalk light turns red or if the area is economically depressed relative to the rest of the city, the cops will try and find a reason to ticket you in order to fill their quota. Generally though, I hit the gas and try to plow through with the obligatory handed kiss to the roof of my car.

One Free Man
depends. I can make it going a certain speed at a certain distance from the light. I've never had one so close that I couldn't decide. I normally err on the side of stepping on it should it get close, but that's because I know I'm getting a 2-3 second delay before the intersection fills with cars.

Bicnarok
I noticed an interesting approach to traffic lights when on holiday in Italy, just totally ignore them and beep and swear at anyone (me) who stops.

One Free Man
silly man, italian drivers are linked telepathically. they need no silly trafic rules to keep them from dying.

Darth Jello
Originally posted by Bicnarok
I noticed an interesting approach to traffic lights when on holiday in Italy, just totally ignore them and beep and swear at anyone (me) who stops. Yeah, check out Israel and Egypt, the bad driving capitals of the world.

One Free Man
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Yeah, check out Israel and Egypt, the bad driving capitals of the world. I thought this was china? http://webpages.scu.edu/ftp/mawong/modelminority/Images/no-asian-drivers.jpg
haermm

Darth Jello
There is no single group of people on Earth that could compare to the horrors of driving in Israel and Egypt.

Bicnarok
India maybe, seen some insane traffic situations on youtube.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.