earthquakes and tsunamis and brown people oh my!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ms.Marvel
so like, mega ultra tsunami is on its way toward hawaii and stuff after a big earthquake just messed up chile (i think it was 8.0? no facts ftw!), and stuff is goin down!

So. discuss. big grin

Amazing Vrayo!!
2012 is on its way eek

Ms.Marvel
danny glover! D=

Symmetric Chaos
Clearly this is proof of Gaia preparing to purge to human virus from the planet just like it did without so many previous species.

Symmetric Chaos
Shit! IT'S MADE LANDFALL!!!

3 foot wave no expression

Ms.Marvel
i know laughing out loud

i was so disappointed... ive been watching the news for like an hour in anticipation for some 2012 type shit.

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
i know laughing out loud

i was so disappointed... ive been watching the news for like an hour in anticipation for some 2012 type shit. miffed you derailed a thread for something that didnt happen nor was a danger to begin with?

how big were the waves? did islanders ankles get wet?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
miffed you derailed a thread for something that didnt happen nor was a danger to begin with?

how big were the waves?

Three feet high. They had 24 hours warning. No one and nothing is in any danger it doesn't want to be.

LanceWindu
i know laughing out loud

i was so disappointed... ive been watching the news for like an hour in anticipation for some 2012 type shit.

You do realize that a 3 foot wave is more than enough to cause some destruction right? I'd like to see you try and not get pulled out to sea.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by LanceWindu
You do realize that a 3 foot wave is more than enough to cause some destruction right? I'd like to see you try and not get pulled out to sea.

Well I guess if you walked past the police barricades with the specific intention of killing yourself you could be pretty badly hurt.

Ms.Marvel

why would you like to see something like that? confused

you need help dude

im being facetious. for those of you who are inept.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Well I guess if you walked past the police barricades with the specific intention of killing yourself you could be pretty badly hurt.

With the way she laughs it off, you'd think that 3 foot waves are nothing.

Symmetric Chaos
With the way she laughs it off, you'd think that 3 foot waves are nothing.

When there is 24 hours notice they're not any danger and (watching CNN) there's no destruction happening.

Ms.Marvel
yeah...

watching cnn too! eek!

Ms.Marvel
man... chile is really getting hit hard though erm

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Amazing Vrayo!!
2012 is on its way eek Yes....Preceded by 2011, followed by 2013.

Robtard
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Yes....Preceded by 2011, followed by 2013.

Ha, one of those rare moments you say something witty.

Rogue Jedi
Just saying. IF the world ends in 2012, it will not be because of the Mayan calendar.

Ms.Marvel
itll be because god is angry laughing out loud

Wild Shadow
itll be because god is angry laughing out loud

whats so new about that, when isnt he angry?

Ms.Marvel
when white america does good stuff yes

chomperx9
thank god it didnt hit hawaii. the volcanos in hawaii are so sensitive and some of them are still active today. i visited there last year and they are still currently active shooting fire out of the water around the volcanos. it was cool to see.

Ms.Marvel
yeah thank god. thankfully it only hit chile and whiped out 200 people.

fortunately god was thinking of the beautiful volcanos in hawaii.

Wild Shadow
when white america does good stuff yes which is very rare and far between... sad

what about the other large % of non white america? like indian nation, mexico, argentina etc etc?..

chomperx9

fortunately god was thinking of the beautiful volcanos in hawaii. yeah good point because when those volcanos erupt thats when everyone goes outside to celebrate

chomperx9
when white america does good stuff yes that would be black jeus that gets anrgy

Rogue Jedi
whats so new about that, when isnt he angry? Wouldn't you be, if you were him?

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Wouldn't you be, if you were him? if i were him then i would also inheret his anger and hate.. of course i would. but if i was made god and maintain my personality i would give two S#@#s with what humans were doing...

if anything i probably be nonchalant while killing ppl drinking some beer and laughing my @$$ off... run f#@$$ers Run!!! ima coming...

probably i would manifest my actions through a large screen tv and an X box game.. controlling what is happening in the real world

Amazing Vrayo!!
Three foot waves?!! So the harbinger has arrived. I've got to cross-reference this brb... DO NOT LEAVE YOUR HOUSES!

lord xyz
i know laughing out loud

i was so disappointed... ive been watching the news for like an hour in anticipation for some 2012 type shit. You went off topic, in your own thread.

Classy.

Red Nemesis
Three foot waves?!! So the harbinger has arrived. I've got to cross-reference this brb... DO NOT LEAVE YOUR HOUSES!

the three foot wave is the harbinger of your destructionsalvation; he is your genetic destiny.

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by lord xyz
You went off topic, in your own thread.

Classy.

how is that off-topic erm

the title of the thread itself states that the topic of this thread involves tsunamis... my post expressed my disappointment in the size of the tsunami. so its relevant to the discussion.

if youre going to troll at least be right ^^'

because obviously volcanos erupting and killing lots of people in hawaii is a much bigger tradgety than hundreds dying in an earthquake! eek!

makes sense. who cares about chile anyway? hawaii has all the rich tourists.

Bicnarok

WickedDynamite
There was a high tide alert for So Cal. I been telling people that if one day...ONE DAY! we were to get hit by a tsunami parts of the 5 fwy will be destroyed near San Onofre. Do they listen to me?!

Of course not! I don't even listen to myself! HA!

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
There was a high tide alert for So Cal. I been telling people that if one day...ONE DAY! we were to get hit by a tsunami parts of the 5 fwy will be destroyed near San Onofre. Do they listen to me?!

Of course not! I don't even listen to myself! HA! Sorry, what was that?

KidRock
MSNBC is reporting on it now.

Apparently the people of Chile aren't brown enough, nor poor enough, to be cared for by the liberal left.

Rogue Jedi
But they get sweatshops, waddap with that?

Robtard
Originally posted by KidRock

Apparently the people of Chile aren't brown enough, nor poor enough, to be cared for by the liberal left.

You do realize that Chile has said it doesn't need/seek help, as they have the means (they're not poor like Haiti) and Obama put out a "let us know if you do" statement?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
You do realize that Chile has said it doesn't need/seek help, as they have the means (they're not poor like Haiti) and Obama put out a "let us know if you do" statement?

Obviously, Obama is teh d3m0nz! dur

overlord

fortunately god was thinking of the beautiful volcanos in hawaii. volcano's are beautiful indeed

Alpha Centauri

I found this hilarious, too.

Someone got me on MSN and said: "A tsunami is about to hit Hawaii.". Obviously, at that point, more was expected.

For the next hour it was just Fox and every other news network trying to make on-going news out of it.

"We have waves, yep.", "Any sign of a tsunami?", "Nope, not yet, but we exp...wait! WAIT! Nope, just some slightly agitated waves.".

-AC

dadudemon
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

Someone got me on MSN and said: "A tsunami is about to hit Hawaii.". Obviously, at that point, more was expected.

For the next hour it was just Fox and every other news network trying to make on-going news out of it.

"We have waves, yep.", "Any sign of a tsunami?", "Nope, not yet, but we exp...wait! WAIT! Nope, just some slightly agitated waves.".

-AC

Wait...don't some surfers love the Hawaiian waves because of how high they can get? (10-15 foot waves)?

Rogue Jedi
Yes, and they pray to their tiki dolls for earthquakes in Chile every day.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by dadudemon
Wait...don't some surfers love the Hawaiian waves because of how high they can get? (10-15 foot waves)?

I don't think the waves were the danger, I think it was the current.

If you're on the board you're safe.

-AC

meep-meep
Originally posted by KidRock

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

-AC

Yeah, I got my hopes up to see something cool. I hardly even watch the news and the one time I do they disappoint me sad

Bicnarok

botankus
What kind of guy has enough dough to hire a helicopter to follow him around to wait for that perfect wave that only comes around once a day?

Bicnarok

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Clearly this is proof of Gaia preparing to purge to human virus from the planet just like it did without so many previous species.

get a job hippie mad

jaden101

botankus

dadudemon
Originally posted by jaden101
Yes it's real but it's also not a tsunami. It's from the documentary "Billabong Odyssey".

A tsunami differs from a giant wave in that a wave is essentially a small bulge in the ocean/sea....It raises up at the front and goes down in height within a few feet width...A tsunami has a raised water level at its leading edge and stays at that level for potentially tens or even hundreds of miles behind it. This is why it causes so much damage compared to big waves....Waves flatten out...Tsunamis don't....Or at least not before causing huge damage.

Well, a Tsunami is really a bunch of waves, in succession. If I remember the chart from 8th grade...it has something to do with shallower waters towards the coast and an energy transfer (from speed to height.)

Darth Jello
Hey all you people in Hawaii and anyone in any state at risk of flooding due to heavy snow/thaw. YOU DON'T HAVE ANY FLOOD INSURANCE RIGHT NOW THANKS TO SENATOR JIM BUNNING'S FILIBUSTER!!!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Hey all you people in Hawaii and anyone in any state at risk of flooding due to heavy snow/thaw. YOU DON'T HAVE ANY FLOOD INSURANCE RIGHT NOW THANKS TO SENATOR JIM BUNNING'S FILIBUSTER!!!

What does this have to do with the topic of the thread?

jaden101
Well, a Tsunami is really a bunch of waves, in succession. If I remember the chart from 8th grade...it has something to do with shallower waters towards the coast and an energy transfer (from speed to height.)

Isn't always a succession of waves. The point is that the wave length is what makes it differ from standard waves. While the height of a wave can be larger the wave length of the tsunami is what causes the most destruction. Although the wave length shortens considerably as a tsunami gets close to shore it is still it's what causes the destruction.

It's only at the very tail end of the tsunami where the sea level drops (to below what it would normally be. This is because of the collosal displacement of water.

I think the scariest thing about tsunamis is the fact that it can travel across the ocean at 500mph and be virtually undetectable because it's only as it approaches shore where the sea level change is noticed. So as it passes by buoys it barely registers as a disturbance.

As AC said though, the currents near shore become immensely powerful. I remember watching an interview with 2 divers who while they were sitting on their boat off the coast of thailand in the short period before the boxing day tsunami that they couldn't tell anything was wrong but as soon as they dived into the water the currents just took them anywhere and they had no control over it at all.

Darth Jello
Tsunami=flooding. If Hawaii is at risk right now, private property owners are completely ****ed

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Tsunami=flooding. If Hawaii is at risk right now, private property owners are completely ****ed

The Tsunami was 3 feet high. I'm sure that flooded a lot of people out of their blanket n the beach.

Darth Jello
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
The Tsunami was 3 feet high. I'm sure that flooded a lot of people out of their blanket n the beach. I thought they were still waiting for something big. My bad.

dadudemon
Isn't always a succession of waves.

Really? I thought it was always a succession of waves with, sometimes, a large leading wave front. (After it reaches the drawback point, of course.)

The point is that the wave length is what makes it differ from standard waves. While the height of a wave can be larger the wave length of the tsunami is what causes the most destruction. Although the wave length shortens considerably as a tsunami gets close to shore it is still it's what causes the destruction.

If by wave length, you mean what is displaced at sea, then you're correct. But, really, it's about displacement and velocity. More specifically, it is the wave height.

It's only at the very tail end of the tsunami where the sea level drops (to below what it would normally be. This is because of the collosal displacement of water.

Yup. Sounds good.

I think the scariest thing about tsunamis is the fact that it can travel across the ocean at 500mph and be virtually undetectable because it's only as it approaches shore where the sea level change is noticed. So as it passes by buoys it barely registers as a disturbance.

As AC said though, the currents near shore become immensely powerful. I remember watching an interview with 2 divers who while they were sitting on their boat off the coast of thailand in the short period before the boxing day tsunami that they couldn't tell anything was wrong but as soon as they dived into the water the currents just took them anywhere and they had no control over it at all.

That is scary. Scary as hell, actually.

botankus
That is scary. Scary as hell, actually.
What's even scarier is how many people on this board who know so much about tidal waves.

Wild Shadow
google and wiki.. combined with basic reading comprehension and common sense. reading geek

dadudemon
google and wiki.. combined with basic reading comprehension and common sense. reading geek

And Symmetric Chaos, magnitude wave function, 8th grade physical science...badda boom, badda bang. big grin

jaden101
By wave length I literally mean the length of the wave from front to back. It's this that causes the problem. Generally the standard waves in somewhere like Hawaii would be far higher than a tsunami wave but they break at the shore because there is nothing behind them. A much smaller tsunami (in terms of height) but with a larger wave length from front to back would cause far more devastation.

Then of course there's the fact that regular waves are formed by wind and so only affect water at the surface. Tsunamis affect and move water from potentially the entire depth of the ocean.

However their height can potentially dwarf normal waves but that would be down to the depth and angle of the costal shelf.

More often than not it is a succesion but not exclusively. Often the leading wave is the smaller too. Gradually increasing in size and power then tailing off again. Although sometimes that's only the perception because each successive wave is hitting before the previous ones have ebbed back to sea. Thus compounding the damage and giving the appearance that each following wave was bigger than the last. (Although in the case of the Boxing day tsunami the following waves did increase is height and power)

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/tsunami-caught-on-camera

For me, this clip says it all...The Banda Aceh survivor clip

The wave isn't all that high (by some standard waves) but it is the length that drives it so far ashore and causes so much devastation

I hope you're able to watch the clip in the US cos sometimes it's restricted.

Bicnarok

jaden101
Originally posted by botankus
Now that I know it wasn't a tsunami, your educated guesses make sense.

However, if it had been a tsunami and they were trying to get the perfect video footage, then they've got larger issues to deal with than simply being dumb.

You couldn't surf a tsunami. It doesn't have a leading edge that is flat. It's just a torrent of white water (well...brown)

I wonder what happened to the guy who stands up at the last minute in this clip.

2TQR9ph8kSs&feature=related

dadudemon
By wave length I literally mean the length of the wave from front to back. It's this that causes the problem. Generally the standard waves in somewhere like Hawaii would be far higher than a tsunami wave but they break at the shore because there is nothing behind them. A much smaller tsunami (in terms of height) but with a larger wave length from front to back would cause far more devastation.

Then of course there's the fact that regular waves are formed by wind and so only affect water at the surface. Tsunamis affect and move water from potentially the entire depth of the ocean.

However their height can potentially dwarf normal waves but that would be down to the depth and angle of the costal shelf.

You mean dis? 313

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/teachers/activities/3208_tsunami.html

Actually, I didn't really read your post, at all. I just glanced at it and replied with something relevant to what you said.

After reading over your posts, I see that you're referring to the wave before it reaches the coast and I'm referring to the wave after it's reached the coastal areas, and increased it's height. We are really talking about apples and oranges.

More often than not it is a succesion but not exclusively. Often the leading wave is the smaller too. Gradually increasing in size and power then tailing off again. Although sometimes that's only the perception because each successive wave is hitting before the previous ones have ebbed back to sea. Thus compounding the damage and giving the appearance that each following wave was bigger than the last. (Although in the case of the Boxing day tsunami the following waves did increase is height and power)

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/tsunami-caught-on-camera

For me, this clip says it all...The Banda Aceh survivor clip

The wave isn't all that high (by some standard waves) but it is the length that drives it so far ashore and causes so much devastation

I hope you're able to watch the clip in the US cos sometimes it's restricted.

I won't be able to watch it, most likely.

You guys have an awesome show on your BBC channel 4: it's about opposites. A really fat person and a really skinny person try to live each other's fitness and feeding habits. They also have surgery stuff in it....and it looks cool.

jaden101
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bblk6hD-l5c&feature=related

See if you get that...Starting at about 45 seconds.

Oddly enough it's the ebbing of the wave that does the most damage and kills the most people. I didn't know that before.

And yeah...Channel 4 has lots of rather cool stuff...Channel 5 just takes it a bit further in the oddness dept though. The documentary about the half man half tree for example.

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2007/11/growthmanR_450x594.jpg

Robtard
I saw that, he's since been cured; all it basically took was a vitamin regime and some surgery to remove tissue, poor bastard.

Autokrat
What... happened to him? How did that happen?

Robtard
Originally posted by Autokrat
What... happened to him? How did that happen?

IIRC, he skinned his knee as a child; it became infected and some version of the Papio virus (herpes) caused him to grow massive warts over the course of a couple decades.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Robtard
IIRC, he skinned his knee as a child; it became infected and some version of the Papio virus (herpes) caused him to grow massive warts over the course of a couple decades. It was some rare genetic disease.

Robtard
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
It was some rare genetic disease.

"It is characterized by abnormal susceptibility to human papillomaviruses (HPVs) of the skin."

Was HPV, confused it with the herpes strain.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.