Celebrities in MMA

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wild Shadow
So the Green/Red/white Ranger Aka known as Tommy has become a mix martial artist and won his 1st fight in the octagon.

my question is what do you guys and ladies think of this, any thoughts?

do you think Jason David Frank is a legitimate contender for the sport or is he just hurting it?

If a celebrity is given Six months to train who could beat the famous ranger in MMA, who can make the transition from Hollywood to the octagon?

http://cdn.buzznet.com/media/jj1//2009/09/jdf-mma/jason-david-frank-mma-04.jpg

VGlyLLNa92o

Mindset
http://freshplays.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/michael-jai-iwhite-2.jpg

Wild Shadow
you think michael jay white would kick his butt?

MJW looks like a beast

Mindset
Maybe, he'd have to spend a lot of time on takedown and submission defense.

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Mindset
Maybe, he'd have to spend a lot of time on takedown and submission defense.

i think he trained and practice for his role in the movie undisputed 2 with grapple and take downs..

what about the russian guy he fought in the movie?

you think he could make the transition?

i think he is a pro MA'er and stunt artist he also looked good in the movie with MJW.

ph3KDAwXV6g

jaden101
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
i think he trained and practice for his role in the movie undisputed 2 with grapple and take downs..

what about the russian guy he fought in the movie?

you think he could make the transition?

i think he is a pro MA'er and stunt artist he also looked good in the movie with MJW.

Choreography isn't training and practice.

The again. What he shows or doesn't show in films isn't neccesarily what he is really capable of so he may well be highly trained in both but because he tends not to utilise it in films then people assume he isn't trained.

Wild Shadow
both guys are martial artist not just actors. i think at least one has bn in tournaments.

9fWvub_WBho

jaden101
both guys are martial artist not just actors. i think at least one has bn in tournaments.

Yes...I know that...Still doesn't mean that what he shows in his films is representative of what he is actually trained in. They can make Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne look like expertly trained martial artists...Is this the case?...No...What you see in the films isn't a true reflection of ability.

Hence it's false to make claims that he has knowledge of grapples and takedowns based on a scene from a movie...Same as it is to say he has no knowledge of them because very few scenes have him using those skills.

grapples and holds aren't used in films all that much because they're not dramatic and visually what people look for in a fight movie.

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by jaden101
ledge of them because very few scenes have him using those skills.

grapples and holds aren't used in films all that much because they're not dramatic and visually what people look for in a fight movie.

obviously you havent seen steven seagal movies.. wink

besides these actors would be given 6 months of training b4 stepping into the ring.

i was just saying even choreography they are being trained by someone how to apply the moves not saying he would be a master but would have at least one known basic move.

jaden101
obviously you havent seen steven seagal movies.. wink

besides these actors would be given 6 months of training b4 stepping into the ring.

i was just saying even choreography they are being trained by someone how to apply the moves not saying he would be a master but would have at least one known basic move.
Which is my point. The movies aren't reflective of what the fighters actually know.

My opinion is that the majority of the actor/martial artist mixes are not particularly good at either. Typically the choreography makes them look more skilled than they are. Although their training is better than your average Joe.

dadudemon
Yes...I know that...Still doesn't mean that what he shows in his films is representative of what he is actually trained in. They can make Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne look like expertly trained martial artists...Is this the case?...No...What you see in the films isn't a true reflection of ability.

Hence it's false to make claims that he has knowledge of grapples and takedowns based on a scene from a movie...Same as it is to say he has no knowledge of them because very few scenes have him using those skills.

Dude, did you watch the special features on Matrix Reloaded? Keanu Reeves was demonstrating some of the Kung Fu and he was looking fairly quick and bad@ss. There's no way Keanu didn't take something away from thousands of hours of hard work he put into the fighting in the Matrix movies. They trained months for their roles and it tooks months to shoot.

Case in point, right after shooting the final film, I wouldn't want to get into a fight with Keanu. He could probably strike fast and hard. (no h0m0)

jaden101
Originally posted by dadudemon
Dude, did you watch the special features on Matrix Reloaded? Keanu Reeves was demonstrating some of the Kung Fu and he was looking fairly quick and bad@ss. There's no way Keanu didn't take something away from thousands of hours of hard work he put into the fighting in the Matrix movies. They trained months for their roles and it tooks months to shoot.

Case in point, right after shooting the final film, I wouldn't want to get into a fight with Keanu. He could probably strike fast and hard. (no h0m0)

Did I say he knew nothing about martial arts?

No...I said he clearly isn't a master but the films managed to portray him as such. He had more than the average training time that actors get but does this mean that he'd actually be able to fight and hold his own against genuinely great fighters?...No.

Alpha Centauri
Why do people assume that because he was the Green Ranger that he is somehow not a credible fighter?

He was a fighter first.

The man's got a lot of accolades.

-AC

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Why do people assume that because he was the Green Ranger that he is somehow not a credible fighter?

He was a fighter first.

-AC

being a MA'er doesnt mean he translates into a competent MMA... we know he knows how to fight tournament style but i think he would and did suck as a MMA. you could tell he was getting rocked by those punches. if they hadnt started ground fighting he would have got his @$$ kicked.

he lucked into a grapple hold and the sad part he was given a rather inexperience fighter to boot. in the long run he isnt going to make it MMA if they give him more competent fighters.

Robtard
being a MA'er doesnt mean he translates into a competent MMA... we know he knows how to fight tournament style but i think he would and did suck as a MMA. you could tell he was getting rocked by those punches. if they hadnt started ground fighting he would have got his @$$ kicked.

he lucked into a grapple hold and the sad part he was given a rather inexperience fighter to boot. in the long run he isnt going to make it MMA if they give him more competent fighters.

Stands to reason he'll improve with further training and fights, whether he loses or wins them.

Will he ever be a top contender, remains to be seen.

Wild Shadow
only if he morphs but that would be cheating. he could make more money fighting celebrities instead of MMA. he should use his status to try and get celebrity fights.

jaden101
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

He was a fighter first.

-AC

Who's assuming he's not a credible fighter?...

dadudemon

Because he obviously has no room for improvement, will not improve, and has no interest in improving, right?

Originally posted by Robtard
Stands to reason he'll improve with further training and fights, whether he loses or wins them.

Will he ever be a top contender, remains to be seen.

Oh...right. You beat me to it. I didn't refresh my browser.

Robtard
only if he morphs but that would be cheating. he could make more money fighting celebrities instead of MMA. he should use his status to try and get celebrity fights.

Why do you say that? The guy has a background in martial arts; he's obviously stepped up his training regime to compete in the MMA octagon and he's in decent shape.

Only thing going against him is his age, starting to professionally compete at this level; being 35-36, can't be easy.

Robtard
Who's assuming he's not a credible fighter?...

Wild Shadow

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Robtard
Wild Shadow i am not. i just dont think he was that good. i am also aware that he can improve hopefully he will but i dont see him being a great fighter..

AsbestosFlaygon
Another celebrity worth mentioning:

Brock Lesnar.

Mindset
no expression

The Nuul
Sho Kosugi

nCsIklUii_Y

meep-meep
The ninja with the very high tolerance for pain especially has very good hand-eye coordination. He would need it to put that eye liner on.

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Another celebrity worth mentioning:

Brock Lesnar. i dont think you understand the point of this thread. no expression

Brock Lesnar is already a MMA fighter.. i am referring more to movie or tv stars or other celebrities perhaps sports that could climb in the ring and maybe beat the green ranger in the octagon.

NemeBro
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i187/mokogrey/carrottop3ir.jpg

estahuh

Ms.Marvel
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww laughing out loud

Wild Shadow
damn disgusting ginger...

anyways if chuck was in his mid or early 40's anyone thing he can take down the green ranger?

cmwokFKAr4k

Mindset
Did he have any ground game.

Wild Shadow
Did he have any ground game. in that fighting clip he did. he used the ground pound and the arm bar.. six months of training b4 entering the cage should be enough i think to beat the green ranger at least if chuck was in 30's or mid 40's...

if not scott adkins should fight the green ranger i some how think he would eat him alive..

l_OHCjZnT4A

MWu_LXME510

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by The Nuul
Sho Kosugi

nCsIklUii_Y Best fight scene of all time.

Mindset
in that fighting clip he did. he used the ground pound and the arm bar.. six months of training b4 entering the cage should be enough i think to beat the green ranger at least if chuck was in 30's or mid 40's...

Yea, but that's from a tv show, not an actual fight.

Green Ranger is a blue belt in bjj, while that's no where close to being great, that's better than 6 mos of training.

Wild Shadow
Yea, but that's from a tv show, not an actual fight.

Green Ranger is a blue belt in bjj, while that's no where close to being great, that's better than 6 mos of training. its not that hard to learn grapple techniques.. six months of training for a cage fight should be more the enough time if the person is already athletic and has a good background in MA..

but on another note what about scott adkins he seems like he has the training, MA skills to compete with Green Ranger.
i learned and taught about 20 grappling techniques inside of three weeks in military combat...

it really isnt that hard to teach a guy 1 to 10 grappling moves that could potentially win him a cage fight inside of six month training program..

Mindset
its not that hard to learn grapple techniques.. six months of training for a cage fight should be more the enough time if the person is already athletic and has a good background in MA..

but on another note what about scott adkins he seems like he has the training, MA skills to compete with Green Ranger.
i learned and taught about 20 grappling techniques inside of three weeks in military combat...

it really isnt that hard to teach a guy 1 to 10 grappling moves that could potentially win him a cage fight inside of six month training program.. You're right, it's not hard to learn grappling techniques, however, it's hard to learn it and then be able to actually apply it in a fight especially against someone that is significantly more knowledgeable than you are.

Knowing standup MA isn't really gonna help you that much in learning bjj or wrestling.

Have you ever fought someone who took bjj or wrestling for a year or more and been better than them?

You really seem to have an oversimplified view of grappling.

Wild Shadow

Have you ever fought someone who took bjj or wrestling for a year or more and been better than them?

You really seem to have an oversimplified view of grappling.
umm.. well the very 1st time i wrestled with some one i was 14 yrs old and i was doing pretty spastacular and my female chico state champ and would be olympic hopeful Ass. Coach said we look like two retards having seizures...

yeah.. i was that good...

a few weeks of training i was able to compete with the best of them in my weight class of 98 lbs..

but to be honest all you need is a few months of technique training with non static opponents and the right mindset and ur golden.. i should know i am a pretty good grappler if i do say so myself...

but i had the benefit of great MA, american wrestler and even my coach who was an olympic wrestler who also studied JJ... he taught us a lot of various JJ grapple moves as well.... also real life street fighting experience and military combat kinda helps

to me fighting and grappling is easy and it comes easy to me....

Mindset
Well, you must be the second coming of Rickson Gracie.

But for regular humans, it takes more than 3 weeks to win ADCC.

Wild Shadow
Well, you must be the second coming of Rickson Gracie.

But for regular humans, it takes more than 3 weeks to win ADCC. yes, regular humans not an already trained athlete fighter or some one whose career is dependent on his fighting ability able defend themselves and or grapple ppl down to arrest them, detain them and to stay alive or to try and get scholarships.. etc etc...

Mindset
yes, regular humans not an already trained athlete fighter or some one whose career is dependent on his fighting ability able defend themselves and or grapple ppl down to arrest them, detain them and to stay alive or to try and get scholarships.. etc etc...

I'm not really sure what this post is meaning to express tbh.

Are all these supposed to apply to Chuck Norris or you?

Wild Shadow
for various types of athletes and MA practitioners and the reason why they would be more likely to be able to crossover in MMA or learn faster then your average person.

but remember i am only talking about being sufficiently trained to beat the green ranger in his fight he looked kinda soft with how he handled those punches to the jaw.. he clumsily got into a grapple by accident..

Mindset
Well, your average person can't go into MMA w/o being a martial artist, when do they stop being your average person?

Wild Shadow
Well, your average person can't go into MMA w/o being a martial artist, when do they stop being your average person?

their are various criteria, my personal ones are:

1. 3 sets of 20 military pulls
2. 5 miles in 30 to 35 min.
3. a trained athlete in a particular sport/MA for more the a yr.
4. striking power being twice above ur average human of the same height and weight denser bone density.
5. bench pressing twice ur weight
6. 10% body fat
boxing flex

Wild Shadow
Jason Frank does it again 2 and 0 record.

jyHm2q6L1hY&feature=related

comment on his performance.

Ms.Marvel
that was a slug fest. dunno how anyone could that fat ****er he was fighting seriously though.

Wild Shadow
i know what you mean.. at this rate the next fighter they'll get for him to fight will be a bum off the street for a sandwich..
ninja stretcher

rwK1AfP9aVc&feature=related

King Castle
any comments on this fight, ppl?
Jason David Frank vs Carlos Horn
fight starts at about 6:00
-_xTibNUftE

Rogue Jedi
Vinnie Jones.

Dr. Leg Kick
Decent leg kick and transition into the armbar. If he was younger, he could make a serious career, but as of now he will most likely remain fighting in this caliber.

King Castle
here's another earlier fight

RpITqSal5Zo&feature=related

a recent fight

bsVrSqQMuY4&feature=related

the dude looks better in this one showing speed/skill and decisiveless

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.