TES II : Daggerfall

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Blinky
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a4/Daggerfall_Cover_art.gif

Ummkay I'm bored and it's Saturday night. So, I decided to play probably my favorite RPG of all time, The Elder Scrolls II : Daggerfall. As a teeny bopper I used to waste hours on this game, wayyyyy back before playing computer RPGs was so mainstream.

Man, I downloaded this game (for FREE on the company website) about a month ago and started playing away. Man o' man, this game is freaking epic. So many options and so many locations and people-- a MASSIVE world. Music is great and if you can look past the graphics, you're gonna love it.

I never did finish the main quest for this game since you can seriously spend months just doing side missions, joining numerous guilds and societies. So many different types of enemies. You can choose the race, class and skills of your character.

Anybody else a fan of this game at KMC? Anybody wanna share their stats for their character? Are there dragons in this game, I always wanted to see one? Anybody know of all really awesome hidden quests ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
An old-ass offcial trailer with awesome music

I_MY0ihuJZc

Here's some video of the game play
XMsvB33TI64
^BTW I RAPED this quest when I played it recently.

Mandrag Ganon
I've played Morowind and Oblivion but never got the chance to play the first two... and when I downloaded the versions off of their site it lagged like crazy (but that probably has to do with that it is a rom emmulator, and a game emmulator on a laptop that was not built with gaming in mind.)

Seriously though, I was playing it and it was painfully slow, taking me 5 minutes to walk about 5 feet. But I love Morrowind and Oblivion.

Blinky
^did you use DOS-BOX? It runs like a charm. Seriously if you liked the other TES games, this is a must play.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW: This is my character, "Corvis" (named after the main character from Heretic). I know my stats are pretty ghey, but I've only been playing for a bit. Also I am a battlemage class, hence I can't wear good armour. I probably should have picked another class... f*ck it... too late now.

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/corvis.jpg
^ The 100 is for strength.

Digi
Bwahahahaha! Awesomesauce. I freaking loved this game. For it's time, it was more revolutionary and fun than Oblivion. Obviously TES series has come a long way since Daggerfall, but this one holds a special place in my heart.

The only part that was terribad was the main quest/story line. I got stuck on a bug early on in my game and never continued it, and I heard of many similarly buggy experiences. But the thing was, much like all Elder Scrolls offerings, you can spend dozens (hundreds?) of hours of gameplay without ever touching the main story.

A few quick anecdotes from this game:

1. So I contract lycanthopy. Damnit. People hate me, I go werewolf in cities randomly, that sort of thing. Upside was I was badass. Just tore sh*t up. But the whole thing was more than a little annoying. There was a time limit to getting it reversed. I didn't make it in time, so I was stuck switching forever. Months (months) later and dozens of gameplay hours, I get a random letter from a cryptic guy who says I can cure my lycanthropy. A gigantic, epic quest chain later and I was back to normal. Points to the game for remembering my illness and following up on it so awesomely.

2. My character was goddamned rich. I owned a horse, a boat (which hilariously did nothing in the game), mansions in every major city, multiple clothing outfits for every occasion, and more money than I could ever burn through.

3. I figured out how to import my own sound files into the game's soundtrack. And in an originally-unrelated bit of fun, I also realized that you could cast levitate on yourself while riding a horse and fly around on your horse, which is pretty sweet to begin with. Some brainstorming later, and I uploaded Ride of the Valkyries to play and did the horse trick while dive-bombing baddies. I'm sure it would seem cartoonish compared to things that happen in today's video games, but for its time it was amazing. It might be the most ecstatic I've ever been playing a video game. There were tears in my eyes at how epic and awesome it seemed to me.

I need to see if my old character is still saved.

Blinky
Hahaha glad to see another fan. I really gotta try the levitating horse thing. Also, I hope I never turn into a Vamp or Werewolf... seems like you gotta do too much to get cured. I've been in dungeons with legions of Vamps before and I thank my lucky stars none of them bit me. I have not experienced any bugs yet, prolly 'coz I have the newer patched version. A few times I've fell into a black hole : p though . I really wanna summon a Daedra Father/mother and go on a demonic quest (I just found out you can do this). I'm addicted .

Kazenji
Played some of this one just could'nt get into unlike Oblivion which i liked

Originally posted by Blinky
^did you use DOS-BOX? It runs like a charm. Seriously if you liked the other TES games, this is a must play.

God i hate Dos-Box always having to continusly having to type the commands in.

Blinky
Originally posted by Kazenji
Played some of this one just could'nt get into unlike Oblivion which i liked

I didn't really like it at first either coz you can't take on powerful enemies when you first start out. Once you are at a decent level with skills, weapons, reputation... it gets more fun. You gotta wait it out and play hard.

Originally posted by Kazenji

God i hate Dos-Box always having to continusly having to type the commands in.

Ummmm that's why it's called DOS-Box...
Anyways, I grew up on Dos, so no biggy for me.

Kazenji
But since its an emulator you would think they would make a lil easier and quicker.

Blinky
I know nothing about writing emulators, but maybe that's the only interface they could use. I've had few problems with Dos-Box, so maybe the fact that it is so DOS-like is what makes it work.

Blinky
Yesterday night I was playing and something strange happened. I rested just outside a dungeon, then suddenly this cut scene of a girl crying blood pops up on the screen and a weird voice says something like "You dream of a girl in despair!". I wake up and try to travel, then I get this message saying "You are too weak to travel, you might die". I look at me stats, I GOT THE PLAGUE! So I could'nt travel anywhere far away, but I needed to get to a Mages Guild to be cured of the plague!!! I tried traveling to every little town near, but I'd die and I'd have to reload my game and try again. FINALLY after like 10 tries I found A nearby town, traveled there and luckly there was a freaking Mages guild. Got cured and saved. Crazyness.

SaTsuJiN
when I tried to use DOSBox.. I failed.. epicly.. I never had to use dos.. (I watched my friend play this game for hours on the pc he got for his graduation in like 96 lol), so I was just kinda like "how the hell do I install this?".. and then after like 10 minutes I gave up sad

I'd totally like to try this though

Blinky
^If you have issues with Dos-Box or this game, I'd gladdy help you out. PM me if you want. I want to spread the good word about Daggerfall stick out tongue.

NemeBro
If I had moar time and my own computer, I would love to play this.

I have neither. sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.