Thanos takes the GL Challenge

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JakeTheBank
Thanos takes on a progessing gauntlet of Green Lanterns (any and all deceased Lanterns are living Green Lanterns for the purposes of this fight; no Black Lanterns). After he clears one round, the next round he fights the new Lantern plus all the previously battled Lanterns. Each round has all participants fully healed/revived and charged. Where does he stop?

1.) G'nort
2.) Ch'p
3.) Arisia
4.) Katma Tui
5.) Tomar Re
6.) Abin Sur
7.) Guy Gardner
8.) John Stewart
9.) Kyle Rayner
10.) Sinestro (armed with GL ring)
11.) Hal Jordan
12.) Alan Scott
13.) Sodam Yat Ion
14.) Sentinel Alan Scott (assume that Scott becomes Sentinel for the purposes of this fight, not two seperate Alan Scotts battling Thanos)
15.) Classic Ion (assume Kyle is the one with Ion Entity whereas Sodam Yat is just using his power ring and Daxamite abilties sans Ion)

PIS and BFR off.

chomperx9
thanos loses 1st round. that many GLs could take him. if all 15 use there power together they could put him in a shield where he couldnt get out.

Mindset
Originally posted by chomperx9
thanos loses 1st round. that many GLs could take him. if all 15 use there power together they could put him in a shield where he couldnt get out. In the first round he only fights one lantern.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by chomperx9
thanos loses 1st round. that many GLs could take him. if all 15 use there power together they could put him in a shield where he couldnt get out.

Yeah, I do think G'nort could solo Thanos, myself.

Enyalus
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Yeah, I do think G'nort could solo Thanos, myself.
laughing out loud Sure you do.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Enyalus
laughing out loud Sure you do.

Isn't it obvious I placed the list in reverse order? stick out tongue

Enyalus
Isn't it obvious I placed the list in reverse order? stick out tongue
Totally makes sense.

He probably stops at 7 or 8. Can't decide. And I don't remember any feats from Abin Sur.

chomperx9
Originally posted by Mindset
In the first round he only fights one lantern. stops at 12

AsbestosFlaygon
Stops @ 8, imo.

Prep-Man
Ch'p busts some nuts.

Bouboumaster
12 or 13

Omega Vision
Stops at 8 or 9. I really hope no one thinks he can clear this.

galactusischere
Clears it shifty

khazra
Thanos has 1 shot surfer casually. Hal is the first person he cant 1 shot.
The GLs can hurt him a little though.
Might stop at allan, definitely stops at sodom.

Black bolt z
He stops at the one with the green ring.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Black bolt z
He stops at the one with the green ring.

Nice to see G'nort getting some respect! uhuh

Enyalus
Originally posted by khazra
Thanos has 1 shot surfer casually.
He has?

Mindset
No

Enyalus
It was rhetorical.

galactusischere
Thanos has 1 shot surfer casually. Hal is the first person he cant 1

no.

khazra
Hmmm, i was sure he had but looking through the respect thread he hasnt...sorry my mistake.

BUT he has killed surfer in a page and been totally unaffected by surfer's blasts.

And surfer >> a GL

Omega Vision
Hmmm, i was sure he had but looking through the respect thread he hasnt...sorry my mistake.

BUT he has killed surfer in a page and been totally unaffected by surfer's blasts.

And surfer >> a GL
The real difference between a skilled Lantern and Surfer really isn't as great as some would say. erm

nicamarvin
Originally posted by Omega Vision
The real difference between a skilled Lantern and Surfer really isn't as great as some would say. erm ...erm

galactusischere
Originally posted by nicamarvin
...erm
OV speaks the truth, son.

JakeTheBank
...erm

It's true.

nicamarvin
Originally posted by galactusischere
OV speaks the truth, son. OK... stick out tongue

Prep-Man
Throughout the years, Hal has done pretty much everything Surfer has. Counting Pre-Crisis days, of course.

khazra
Id say surfer is alot more durable. Whilst initially they may be on a similar level (still with an edge to surfer), over the last few years weve seen rings run out of energy increasingly quickly and shields deplete just as fast.

If surfer can be killed in a few panels, a GL can be killed in a little less and he can blast them all at once.

Omega Vision
OK... stick out tongue
Surfer can do a lot of things that Lanterns can't do (sophisticated matter manip among others) but as far as combat power and fighting effectiveness goes a Lantern like Sinestro, Kyle, Hal, or even Kilowog could give Surfer a serious fight and take a few wins. Hal or Sinestro could come close to splitting if not taking a slight majority (in Sinestro's case thanks to fighting dirty).

Prep-Man
Id say surfer is alot more durable. Whilst initially they may be on a similar level (still with an edge to surfer), over the last few years weve seen rings run out of energy increasingly quickly and shields deplete just as fast.

If surfer can be killed in a few panels, a GL can be killed in a little less and he can blast them all at once.

The last few years, sure, but PC feats still count. And Hal was very much as durable. Even beating Death.

Prep-Man
Surfer can do a lot of things that Lanterns can't do (sophisticated matter manip among others) but as far as combat power and fighting effectiveness goes a Lantern like Sinestro, Kyle, Hal, or even Kilowog could give Surfer a serious fight and take a few wins. Hal or Sinestro could come close to splitting if not taking a slight majority (in Sinestro's case thanks to fighting dirty).

GL's have matter manipulation feats as well. Hell, Alan Scott has a big one, too.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Prep-Man
GL's have matter manipulation feats as well. Hell, Alan Scott has a big one, too.
Surfer has displayed greater range in that field though. A PIS/CIS free Lantern with lots of experience and skill can do virtually anything Surfer can. The problem is that very few of those exist and most Lanterns are fodder.

khazra
The last few years, sure, but PC feats still count. And Hal was very much as durable. Even beating Death.
Silverage characters are from earth-1.
Current Hal is the hal of new earth, effectively totally different characters...the feats have no reason at all to overlap.

In the SCW sinestro corps constructs were depleting GL rings energy (through attacking shields) very quickly. Surfer's durability is innate and wont suffer over time.

Prep-Man
Surfer has displayed greater range in that field though. A PIS/CIS free Lantern with lots of experience and skill can do virtually anything Surfer can. The problem is that very few of those exist and most Lanterns are fodder.

Which feats do you speak of? Hal created his own universe inside the ring. He's controlled people's bodies and turned people into birds, he's devolved a plant god, changed the Shark, etc...

JakeTheBank
The only thing that comes to mind as far as being retconned by the Crisis goes, is his relationship with Sinestro. Otherwise his stories and PC feats are still valid, iirc.

Prep-Man
Silverage characters are from earth-1.
Current Hal is the hal of new earth, effectively totally different characters...the feats have no reason at all to overlap.

In the SCW sinestro corps constructs were depleting GL rings energy (through attacking shields) very quickly. Surfer's durability is innate and wont suffer over time.

PC feats count as the Crisis dind't affect Hal. So they say.

khazra
The only thing that comes to mind as far as being retconned by the Crisis goes, is his relationship with Sinestro. Otherwise his stories and PC feats are still valid, iirc.
Has DC continuty changed again???

As i understood it, golden age characters reside on earth 2, silverage characters on earth 1 and the modern incarnations on new earth.

That makes them effectively different versions of the same characters and as such it's my opinion that PC feats are no more applicable than elseworld or what if? character feats.

Omega Vision
So is DC's official policy now "all PC stuff is in continuity except the goofy stuff that we're embarrassed to admit we ever published"?

Omega Vision

As i understood it, golden age characters reside on earth 2, silverage characters on earth 1 and the modern incarnations on new earth.

That makes them effectively different versions of the same characters and as such it's my opinion that PC feats are no more applicable than elseworld or what if? character feats.
No great difference between Earth 1 and New Earth. Essentially New Earth is a tweaked Earth 1.

galactusischere
So is DC's official policy now "all PC stuff is in continuity except the goofy stuff that we're embarrassed to admit we ever published"?

Like ALL of PC Superman and Luthor's feats?

JakeTheBank

It depends on the character, tbh. Certain characters were effected while others weren't. It wasn't a blanket wide effect, imo.

Omega Vision
It depends on the character, tbh. Certain characters were effected while others weren't. It wasn't a blanket wide effect, imo.
It really just seems like the Crisis effected Superman and his supporting cast the most.

JakeTheBank

It depends. Some of Hal's PC stories have been mentioned or alluded to in Post Crisis stories. Barry Allen also comes to mind. You really have to take it case by case, as any writer can choose to reference a PC story and work it into current canon.

JakeTheBank
It really just seems like the Crisis effected Superman and his supporting cast the most.

Yeah, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman (go figure) were affected by COIE to greater degrees than other characters. Their histories were then rebooted again during IC.

khazra
regardles of similarities, earth 1 and new earth are different and the characters are not the same characters.

Prep-Man
They are according to geoff's stories.

JakeTheBank
regardles of similarities, earth 1 and new earth are different and the characters are not the same characters.

They are.

During IC, Alex Luthor explains how history is shifting, effecting the Trinity (as clearly DC would fall apart without them) in subtle ways. Earth-1 even is redubbed New Earth. They're still the same people with the same memories and feats unless otherwise stated or shown.

Enyalus
And Superman remembers all his Pre-Crisis history, but we don't count current Superman as being = PC Superman.

We shouldn't do it with Hal, either.

JakeTheBank
And Superman remembers all his Pre-Crisis history, but we don't count current Superman as being = PC Superman.

We shouldn't do it with Hal, either.

Does he? Superman's stories have drastically changed his background, origins, powers, his relationships with other characters, etc.

Prep-Man
Plus, it's hard to say that the Crisis effected Hal's ring or power. He still does amazing things with the ring, while Superman still stays the same.

Enyalus
Does he? Superman's stories have drastically changed his background, origins, powers, his relationships with other characters, etc.
Yes. But he now recalls all of his adventures with the LOSH when he was a boy, etc. It's even canonically documented in his recent "Secret Origins" series.

Enyalus
Plus, it's hard to say that the Crisis effected Hal's ring or power. He still does amazing things with the ring, while Superman still stays the same.
PC Hal's ring had an infinite charge. Current Hal, like all GLs, obviously don't have that, and also there's a limit to the ring's power (See John Stewart's "willpower overload" thing.)

Prep-Man
PC Hal's ring had an infinite charge. Current Hal, like all GLs, obviously don't have that, and also there's a limit to the ring's power (See John Stewart's "willpower overload" thing.)

Really? I thought it had to be recharged as well.

Enyalus
Really? I thought it had to be recharged as well.
He said the oath and stuck his fist in the lantern, but there wasn't a "Ring Power Levels at 76.6%" type deal going on.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I've always thought counting Pre Crisis feats for Post Crisis Hal Jordan was a bit asinine. Much less currently when under Johns all I've ever seen them do is create simple constructs and shoot things with energy beams outside of a few instances (That I can't remember right now but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.).

I think Kyle Rayner was blurring the line at his peak but it went down hill after that in my opinion.

Prep-Man
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
I've always thought counting Pre Crisis feats for Post Crisis Hal Jordan was a bit asinine. Much less currently when under Johns all I've ever seen them do is create simple constructs and shoot things with energy beams outside of a few instances (That I can't remember right now but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.).

I think Kyle Rayner was blurring the line at his peak but it went down hill after that in my opinion.

A good portion of Hal's feats that I consider to be impressive was post crisis. He's done a bunch of versatile stuff and Kyle has too.

JakeTheBank
And as great as Hal and Kyle are, we can all agree on one thing.

They ain't got shit on Guy Gardner uhuh

Rage.Of.Olympus
A good portion of Hal's feats that I consider to be impressive was post crisis. He's done a bunch of versatile stuff and Kyle has too.

From what I've seen Pre Crisis Hal would be rather solidly above Post Crisis Hal. Kyle has the best feats Post Crisis from what I've seen. Of course I like Kyle a lot better than Hal so I might be biased.

Under Johns right now I would not be surprised if it would take multiple top tier Green Lanterns to destroy a planet. The rings simply seem to be limited in power to a greater extent under him.

Prep-Man
From what I've seen Pre Crisis Hal would be rather solidly above Post Crisis Hal. Kyle has the best feats Post Crisis from what I've seen. Of course I like Kyle a lot better than Hal so I might be biased.

Under Johns right now I would not be surprised if it would take multiple top tier Green Lanterns to destroy a planet. The rings simply seem to be limited in power to a greater extent under him.

Pre is more powerful. I'm just saying Hal has done some impressive feats to date.

And Kyle > Hal. At least post crisis. I think a lot of Kyle's post crisis feats match up with Hal's, Pre-crisis. Kyle is amazing sometimes. Geoff has messed him up, though. mad

Rage.Of.Olympus
Pre is more powerful. I'm just saying Hal has done some impressive feats to date.

And Kyle > Hal. At least post crisis. I think a lot of Kyle's post crisis feats match up with Hal's, Pre-crisis. Kyle is amazing sometimes. Geoff has messed him up, though. mad

I don't doubt he has some decent feats under his belt since his return.

Kyle seems to have the most impressive feats bar none Post Crisis in terms of Green Lantern's from what I've seen. It's most likely because he and Wally rose up the food chain at the same time becoming uber and truly establishing their power sets as Top Tier. I think they were at their peak around the Grant Morrison JLA era. Man I love that run.

Yea the bastard. Ruined Kyle and his pissing on Wally, albeit not as bad as I thought but still....

The ****ing retcons as well. It wasn't Hal who had a break down. It was the imaginary fear monster that no one knew about. Screw everything we think we know about the Speed Force, Barry generates it when he runs; it's his Speed Force.

I can't wait until Aquaman: Rebirth. It'll be revealed that all of Tempest's magical powers were secretly given to him by Aquaman. Just so it's fair.

Prep-Man
I don't doubt he has some decent feats under his belt since his return.

Kyle seems to have the most impressive feats bar none Post Crisis in terms of Green Lantern's from what I've seen. It's most likely because he and Wally rose up the food chain at the same time becoming uber and truly establishing their power sets as Top Tier. I think they were at their peak around the Grant Morrison JLA era. Man I love that run.

Yea the bastard. Ruined Kyle and his pissing on Wally, albeit not as bad as I thought but still....

The ****ing retcons as well. It wasn't Hal who had a break down. It was the imaginary fear monster that no one knew about. Screw everything we think we know about the Speed Force, Barry generates it when he runs; it's his Speed Force.

I can't wait until Aquaman: Rebirth. It'll be revealed that all of Tempest's magical powers were secretly given to him by Aquaman. Just so it's fair.

What feats would you say is more powerful/impressive? Post crisis Kyle or Pre-crisis Hal?

Lord_Talron
i thought crisis was supposed to make the dc universe make more sense

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Lord_Talron
i thought crisis was supposed to make the dc universe make more sense

You get used to it, tbh.

COIE was one of the main reasons I was nervous about getting into DC, as I was daunted by the conflicting continuities and whatnot. But after reading some issues, you manage to sort everything out and make sense out of it all for the most part.

Prep-Man
X-Men have one of the hardest histroys to understand. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand stuff. Especially when you have things like Wiki on the net or comicvine.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Haha.

You'd need to get a few chalk boards, some of the most knowledgeable DC nerds, some aspirin and a lot, a lot of coffee to try and make sense of DC's continuity.

The crisis was a good idea at the time but the execution was bad and a bit unorganized. I mean some titles like Green Lantern seemed to just continue almost like before it, yet other like Superman were rebooted nearly completely. The entire thing was a mess in my opinion.

What feats would you say is more powerful/impressive? Post crisis Kyle or Pre-crisis Hal?

I don't know. I could try and make an educated guess, but I'm not sure if I've seen all of Hal's most impressive feats in Pre Crisis. At his peak Kyle really blurred the line. His feats were a bit more sensible as Hal's ring was like magic at times but they are pretty close. I'd say maybe Hal on average?

AsbestosFlaygon
Yeah, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman (go figure) were affected by COIE to greater degrees than other characters. Their histories were then rebooted again during IC.
Come to think of it, WW was weaker during the Pre-Crisis era.

She couldn't even fly (thus the need for her Invisible Plane), and she didn't have superspeed (she gets outrunned by the Cheetah in most of their encounters).
And she didn't have as much weapon upgrades. All she had was a lasso, that doesn't auto-wrap by touch (she actually needed to fling the lasso around) and virtually powerless on women or objects.

Endless Mike
I think the LOSH days that Superman remembers are supposed to be new stories that they are still writing

Harbinger
Thanos stops at 7.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.