Kick Ass

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Blinky

SnakeEyes
Not familiar with the comic, but the film's been getting some pretty good buzz (since Comic Con); I'll definitely be checking this out to form an opinion. Looks fun.

KingD19
The graphic novel was extremely brutal, and it was good.

Kazenji
Old news for those checking up on this in the other thread in Comic book movies.

K.Diddy
beer Yeah,I've known about this for awhile,it should be good

eriksmovie
Trailer looks good and tempting too.

MildPossession
I like the man's work, so have been looking forwards to this film for ages, looks so much fun.

Robtard
Saw the trailer in the theater, film looks awful.

xJLxKing
Apparently this movie got great reviews. IGN claims it is the best Superhero movie with a 5/5 stars. Hollywood gives it a 5/5 ass well.

Mr. Rhythmic
I'm not quite sure what to think so far. It doesn't look terrible, but it doesn't look that good either.

Nephthys
Apparantly this films amazing. Some reviewers are sayings its the best thing since the Dark Knight and that Hit Girl's gonna be the next movie icon. Definately going to watch it.

Robtard
Saw the trailer again when I went to see Green Zone yesterday, I take back my earlier comment. Movie will likely be shit, but a decent fun film. The little girl looks to be the lowest-point.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Robtard
Saw the trailer again when I went to see Green Zone yesterday, I take back my earlier comment. Movie will likely be shit, but a decent fun film. The little girl looks to be the lowest-point.

I agree

MildPossession
Vastly different reviews, well the first one is written by a 'critic' I can't stand but I read his reviews because I find them so amusing sometimes when they are angry and melodramatic, especially this one. It was in the newspaper today but found it here, he gave it one star:

http://www.movie-film-review.com/devFilm.asp?ID=15578

And a four star review here by a woman who mentioned Hit Girl as a feminist icon:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/film_reviews/article7084368.ece

Kazenji
Starts next week this movie

i'll be seeing it.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by xJLxKing
IGN claims it is the best Superhero movie with a 5/5 stars. Impossible.

Ms.Marvel
yeah...

i dont think it can beat spiderman 2

Darth Martin
Better than The Dark Knight and Watchmen: Directors Cut? I don't think so. But I will probably see this with friends since it comes out on the birthday.

After all, it IS rated R and apparently pretty violent so......

Ms.Marvel
oh, dark knight.

TDK isnt the best comic movie; its just a really good movie in itself.

Darth Martin
TDK>Spiderman 2

SnakeEyes
I'm actually getting excited for this movie. I think it's going to be pretty awesome; keep hearing good things.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Better than The Dark Knight and Watchmen: Directors Cut? I don't think so. But I will probably see this with friends since it comes out on the birthday.

After all, it IS rated R and apparently pretty violent so......

Watchmen isn't even in my top 5, let alone best ever.

-AC

Ms.Marvel
TDK>Spiderman 2

lol. tdk is not a better comic book movie.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Watchmen isn't even in my top 5, let alone best ever. I already know your opinion on Watchmen. Your top 5 is?

Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
tdk is not a better comic book movie. Yes. It is. Spiderman 2 is good though. By far the best of the trilogy.

Robtard
lol. tdk is not a better comic book movie.

Ledger died over it, damn you. Ledger died!

steverules_2
Spiderman 2>TDK more like, sure TDK was good and Ledgers Joker was amazing but no way is it as good as spiderman 2, the only reason i liked TDK was cuz of the Joker scenes and everything else to me was kinda boring erm

LanceWindu
What? You're on crack, Spider-Man 2 was a CGI suckfest.

Impediment
Spider-Man 2 is, arguably, the best of the three, IMO.

The Dark Knight was a good film, I have to admit, but Ledger's Joker was nothing more than an anarchist in clown make-up. There. I finally said it.

Robtard
Originally posted by LanceWindu

Not that I agree SM2's CGi "sucked", but CGI doesn't (or shouldn't) make a movie by itself. Story is far more important.

Robtard
Originally posted by Impediment

but Ledger's Joker was nothing more than an anarchist in clown make-up. There. I finally said it.

You're going to hell, Ledger died for that movie, he died for you.

steverules_2

Would you have rather they set a peice of paper on fire and used that as Ocks failed experiment? Spiderman 2's storyline was fantastic and the fight on the train was amazing. TDK's storyline needed Joker to make it a good film, without Joker it wouldn't have been as good as it was and for me spiderman 2 trumps TDK anyday smile

steverules_2
You're going to hell, Ledger died for that movie, he died for you.

...didn't he die during filming some other film?

LanceWindu
Originally posted by steverules_2
Would you have rather they set a peice of paper on fire and used that as Ocks failed experiment? Spiderman 2's storyline was fantastic and the fight on the train was amazing. TDK's storyline needed Joker to make it a good film, without Joker it wouldn't have been as good as it was and for me spiderman 2 trumps TDK anyday smile

And take out Doc Ock and you have Spider-Man and his whiny friend Harry and snaggle-toothed Mary Jane.

The train fight was pretty good, but then everyone saw his face. Does EVERYONE know who Spider-Man is? Apparently in Raimi's world they do.

steverules_2
And take out Doc Ock and you have Spider-Man and his whiny friend Harry and snaggle-toothed Mary Jane.

The train fight was pretty good, but then everyone saw his face. Does EVERYONE know who Spider-Man is? Apparently in Raimi's world they do.

Ahhh but spiderman 2 did need a villain in it, TDK still had Two face, and you can make fun of MJ but you realise that Maggie looks like the Rabbit from Alice In Wonderland right? The cartoon not the new 3D one erm I'd pick MJ over Maggie anyday, though I do think Katie Holmes is more attractive

LanceWindu
Ahhh but spiderman 2 did need a villain in it, TDK still had Two face, and you can make fun of MJ but you realise that Maggie looks like the Rabbit from Alice In Wonderland right? The cartoon not the new 3D one erm I'd pick MJ over Maggie anyday, though I do think Katie Holmes is more attractive

I too was upset that they replaced Katie Holmes, Maggie looks like a sad turtle:

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/sad-cartoon-turtle-sometimes-you-just-stand-out-499x451.jpg

Two-Face didn't really count as a villain in TDK, all of this NEEDED Joker to make the entire story.

Robtard
...didn't he die during filming some other film?

It was delayed, that's how epic TDK is.

steverules_2
Its kinda bad that the movie NEEDED joker to make it

Maggie is sooooo not attractive, tbh Rachel was pissing me off so I was glad she died erm

I agree with you about the spiderman being unmasked on the train thing, I remember after seeing it I was like 'wtf was that all about!?!'

Robtard

30-50 people saw his face; that's not a whole lot.

Robtard

I agree with you about the spiderman being unmasked on the train thing, I remember after seeing it I was like 'wtf was that all about!?!'

No Steve, don't agree with a bad point. Are you drinking again?

Darth Martin
Spiderman 2's storyline was fantastic and the fight on the train was amazing. TDK's storyline needed Joker to make it a good film, The fight on the train was amazing. Spiderman 2, as a film in its whole, wasn't.

Without Joker it wouldn't have been as good? No shit. Almost everyone here agrees Ledger was the best of many great things about the film.

Spiderman 2, yet, has no character on par with either Joker or Dent. Spiderman 2 has one awesome action scene with the train. The Dark Knight had 3-4 great action scenes that relied less on CGI and more on music, intensity, acting, ect.

I like Spiderman 2, its action and Molina as Ock, and then some other things. But The Dark Knight is on a different level.

1.The Dark Knight
2.Watchmen: Directors Cut
3.V for Vendetta
4.Batman Begins
5.Iron Man
6.Blade II

My tops are constantly changing as the days themselves do but I'm sure these films are superior to any of the Spiderman entries.

No need to turn this into a brawl. Spiderman 2 is one of the better films of the genre. I just don't agree that it's on par with any of the films listed above.

Impediment
Okay, everyone:

Back to topic.

steverules_2
No Steve, don't agree with a bad point. Are you drinking again?

No I'm just robtarded dur Him being un-masked in front of a train load of people was just REtarded

Robtard
No I'm just robtarded dur Him being un-masked in front of a train load of people was just REtarded

There's 8 million people in NYC, only the people in the front cabin saw his face and they saw it for about a minute.

So they know he's a white-kid with shortish brown hair. He's not someone well known, like Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark.

LanceWindu
Its kinda bad that the movie NEEDED joker to make it

Maggie is sooooo not attractive, tbh Rachel was pissing me off so I was glad she died erm

No, I meant the Joker is what set everything into motion. Because of him we have Two-Face, because of him Rachel is dead. He made the story...I don't mean that because of him the story was good.

30-50 people saw his face; that's not a whole lot.

Go read the comics, how many civilians have seen Spider-Man's identity? And at one time? Not counting the Marvel Civil War where he held a press conference to reveal himself.

steverules_2
It was stupid

Look I don't wanna go off topic of be warned so...yeah...I do wanna see kick-ass since I did read the comics and loved 'em so I'm hoping the movies good...heard nothing but good things about it

Darth Martin
Not counting the Marvel Civil War where he held a press conference to reveal himself. Marvel ****ed this up. Parker would never do this.

Impediment
Okay, everyone:

Back to topic.

Impediment
Talk about the film Kick Ass now, please.

steverules_2
Dunno when I'm gonna see kick-ass...soon i hope

Robtard

Go read the comics, how many civilians have seen Spider-Man's identity? And at one time? Not counting the Marvel Civil War where he held a press conference to reveal himself.

And? A small handful of people knowing his face doesn't break the plot or story. Parker's just some average looking random white-guy, in a city full of them.

Darth Martin
Kinda hard to discuss something that hasn't yet come out.

Robtard
Talk about the film Kick Ass now, please.

It will kick-ass?

steverules_2
Kinda hard to discuss something that hasn't yet come out.

...it is out...or least it is here

LanceWindu
It was stupid

Look I don't wanna go off topic of be warned so...yeah...I do wanna see kick-ass since I did read the comics and loved 'em so I'm hoping the movies good...heard nothing but good things about it

Kick-Ass should be pretty good. The comics were ****ing awesome, all around. Too short, but if they stretched it out too long it probably would have ended up being mediocre.

Robtard
Not sure about that McLovin being in a movie modeled after a "super violent" comic-novel.

LanceWindu
Not sure about that McLovin being in a movie modeled after a "super violent" comic-novel.

The thing is, the characters are supposed to be comic-book readers who decide to just go out there and emulate the heroes. It works that he is a nerd. And it makes it more shocking when you see them getting ultra violent.

steverules_2
I know they completely changed the ending

Yeah i loved the storyline, it wasn't just some comic filled with violence and swearing, it had a good storyline to it and when I first read it I loved it and kept checking to see when issue 8 was coming out so I could see the conclusion. Hoping it carries on, I heard there's gonna be a possible sequel to the movie, dunno about the comics but crossed fingers.

Robtard
The thing is, the characters are supposed to be comic-book readers who decide to just go out there and emulate the heroes. It works that he is a nerd. And it makes it more shocking when you see them getting ultra violent.

Were the characters in the novel as wheeny looking as McLovin though?

steverules_2

Yeah kinda

BruceSkywalker
read a few kick-ass comics already...

will see the film

LanceWindu

He's weeny looking, except for having stubble...
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4292/664015hh.jpg

They changed the costume for the movie, which brings out the nerdiness of Christopher Mintz-Plasse.

The main character in the comic was really a weeny.

Robtard
Fair enough, just can't see McLovin kicking anyone's ass.

steverules_2
Not really no...he did kick the kings ass in Role models

Darth Martin
Not sure about that McLovin being in a movie modeled after a "super violent" comic-novel. From what I read, the film is decently violent.

Tired-Hiker
This film totally rocked. I'll be saying that sometime after I see it I bet.

steverules_2
I wanted to go with my friend who doesn't wanna see it because she says the trailer makes it look like a crappy kids film and I was like 'WTF!?!'

Kazenji
Just watched a review for this

One of the reviewers (David Stratton) went on about the violence in the movie and also how Hit-Girl kills people saying what does it all say for Society

There also two people that reviewed the movie the other gave it a good score of course.

SnakeEyes
Really, I think this film is going to surprise a lot of you. I think the trailers aren't letting on how ultra-violent this is probably gonna be.

Kazenji
Surely it can't be more violent then what Garth ennis has done.

MildPossession
There was a red band trailer released months ago and that was very graphic compared to the trailers out now.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Kazenji
Surely it can't be more violent then what Garth ennis has done.

Well I don't think it'll be that disturbing. There was some messed up shit in Preacher.

Originally posted by MildPossession
There was a red band trailer released months ago and that was very graphic compared to the trailers out now.

Mhm. yes

LanceWindu
I wanted to go with my friend who doesn't wanna see it because she says the trailer makes it look like a crappy kids film and I was like 'WTF!?!'

Your friend needs to see the red band trailer. This film is ultra violent.

Nephthys
Apparantly Hit Girl (10(ish)) gets the ever-loving crap kicked out of her. That could be pretty graphic.

MildPossession
It wouldn't have been brought up in the reviews if it was an adult woman.

The Nuul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu7JRsGZjCg&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CVu-AzMnDY&feature=channel

^^

LOL

LanceWindu
Originally posted by The Nuul

This one?

That was the Red Band Teaser Trailer

Try this one: http://www.trailerspy.com/trailer/8226/Kick-Ass-Red-Band-Trailer-HD

The Nuul
I know that one, I just posted the Hit Girl one.

Impediment
Mark Millar is a brilliant writer. I loved his run on The Authority.

The Nuul
Yeah, the new Authority sucks balls. They had some thing special but like everything else once the big guys get a hold of it, it turns into a big pile of shit.

Alpha Centauri
And? A small handful of people knowing his face doesn't break the plot or story. Parker's just some average looking random white-guy, in a city full of them.

It was garbage.

-AC

Robtard
It was garbage.

-AC

Just scene or SM2?

I'd disagree on either count, for reasons stated. Just curios though.

Darth Martin
Spiderman 2, the film, was far from garbage.

Alpha Centauri
Just scene or SM2?

I'd disagree on either count, for reasons stated. Just curios though.

Scene.

Pointless, needless. Consider the amount of celebrity magazines that exist, the man works for a major tabloid, and a lot of people have seen his face.

Even aside from that, it was a ham-fisted piece and really didn't need to be there.

As for the movie, I always preferred the first, but anyway, sorry for the off topic comments.

I didn't see Imped's post until I'd already posted.

-AC

Impediment
Scene.

Pointless, needless. Consider the amount of celebrity magazines that exist, the man works for a major tabloid, and a lot of people have seen his face.

Even aside from that, it was a ham-fisted piece and really didn't need to be there.

As for the movie, I always preferred the first, but anyway, sorry for the off topic comments.

I didn't see Imped's post until I'd already posted.

-AC

About what part of which of my previous post are you referring?

Ms.Marvel
i think the part where you said to get on topic earlier.

Kazenji
Hows this from this guy thats from Australia

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/1037038/richard-wilkins-slams-controversial-film-kick-ass

MildPossession
Oh another idiot critic, it's not as bad as the review link I put up, it mentions paedophiles and so on in my link.

Kazenji
The comments on the kids being vigilante's like its a bad thing in the video

is'nt Batman a vigilante??.......oh its ok to let that one slide roll eyes (sarcastic)

T.M
Do these critics not understand that this isn't a kids movie.

The Nuul
Originally posted by T.M
Do these critics not understand that this isn't a kids movie.

No

Robtard
Hahaha, morons.

The film may very well suck, but they way they're thrashing it, it will only promote people (especially the younger-crowed) to go see it.

Robtard
The comments on the kids being vigilante's like its a bad thing in the video

is'nt Batman a vigilante??.......oh its ok to let that one slide roll eyes (sarcastic)

I think his point was specifically the "children" aspect. He's a moron, but not necessarily for that point.

Blinky
Well getting negative idiotic reviews (written by complete dolts) makes me want to see this more. I'm not expecting anything great from this movie, I'm expecting this movie to be:

a) Violent
b) Relatively funny ( the movie will most likely be silly as f*ck)
c) Entertaining

I have faith that it will statisfy these requirments, anybody looking for anything other than these qualities should just not bother to watch it.

Kazenji
I think his point was specifically the "children" aspect. He's a moron, but not necessarily for that point.

Then theres also Robin he too was pretty young when he went cruising around with Batman.

Robtard
Then theres also Robin he too was pretty young when he went cruising around with Batman.

The homosexuality in that dynamic is entirely different that the violence here. Also, Chris O'donnell was an adult when he filmed.

Kazenji
Also, Chris O'donnell was an adult when he filmed.

Yeah well thats Joel Schumacher for ya.

dadudemon
6CVu-AzMnDY

Wu7JRsGZjCg

Fixed those postings fer ya.

Kazenji
??

who are you talking to.

dadudemon
??

who are you talking to.

This is not a case of the emperor's new clothes.

If you work at it, you may be able to figure out to whom I am talking.

Kazenji
You and your cryptic messages....

dadudemon
You and your cryptic messages....

I'm secretly a woman! fear

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon
I'm secretly a woman! fear

Would explain why you shave your *******.

Blinky

HAHAHA! Nice, playing The Dickies "Banana Splits " was perfect for that trailer.

jinXed by JaNx
I always liked peanut parfait's myself...,but thats just me.

Kazenji
So i came back from seeing this couple of minutes ago, Its definitely good as most of the critics are saying cept for them idiot ones.

Scythe
F*cking movie was amazing, I loved it.

jalek moye
I disliked some parts. but over all i really enjoyed it

SnakeEyes
I saw this last night, liked it a lot.

It's basically a young male geek's wet dream, so be prepared for the collective virtual orgasm that is sure to be heading this way.

steverules_2
Seen it...was kinda hoping that what happened with Katie in the comics would happen in the film cuz what happened in the comics was funny

jalek moye
Seen it...was kinda hoping that what happened with Katie in the comics would happen in the film cuz what happened in the comics was funny

yes it was hiliarous and somethign I could easily see happening

steverules_2
The part where he talks about jacking off to a picture of her giving a guy a blow job whilst crying was friggin hilarious, the movie was good yes but in a way I felt they didn't do the comics much justice and plus the made big daddy into batman. In the end I prefer the comics but the movie was still good smile

The Nuul
So, where does this place interms of best comic book movies?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I saw this last night, liked it a lot.

It's basically a young male geek's wet dream, so be prepared for the collective virtual orgasm that is sure to be heading this way.

You do realise the theme of the story isn't to say how awesome it would be to become a superhero, right?

It's a deconstruction. It's designed to show the inherent dangers and ridiculousness of vigilantism.

-AC

jalek moye
The film kind of lost that message like halfway through. and instead became how awesome the characters are

SnakeEyes
Yeah. The movie conveyed that about half the time. The tone/themes were all over the place.

BackFire
The movie was enjoyable, but something about it felt off.

It felt as though it stopped attempting pure comedy after a while and tried to veer into darker terrain. Then it's as if it pussed out at the last minute and went back into lighter territory. The satire was muddled and didn't resonate well. One review I read said that after a while it became the very thing it was attempting to mock, and this is very true. It simply didn't know what it wanted to do, I feel. I really wish the film actually had the balls that the director obviously thinks it does and had stayed in that darker territory through to the logical conclusion, would have actually been a much better and more poignant film. As it is now, though, it's just a silly thing that felt as though it didn't have the intellectual chops to really convey the message that it apparently wanted to convey.

Still, Hit Girl was by far the best thing about the movie. She was the saving grace.

SnakeEyes
Yep. My thoughts from the Comic section:

You've probably seen it by now, but I'll post some of my thoughts anyway. First off, it's way better than Wanted, which I actually enjoyed, despite it straying WAY far away from the comic and it getting dissed by people. I haven't read Kick-Ass, but it felt very faithful to what I imagine the source material is like, and fans of the book have backed me up on that.

Some complaints - the movie felt like it didn't really know what it wanted to be/do. There were several distinct, (to me) conflicting tones and vibes. At times it was very realistic, portraying believable consequences to the characters' actions, etc., while at the same time there were many over-the-top, extremely unbelievable scenes and set-pieces. I kind of wish the film stuck with one style, or at least blended the several that were in the film more effectively.

I didn't like how they re-used John Murphy's music in this film, because I distinctly associate it with the movies it originally came from (28 Days Later and Sunshine). Mark Strong did a good job, but his character wasn't all that compelling of a villain. The "love story," if you want to call it that, was kind of weak.

There are probably some others, but those were the main things that bugged me. Overall, I really liked this movie. It's not quite as good as all the geek/fanboy hype that's been going around, but definitely worth your time imo. I had a lot of fun with it and when the movie clicked for me, it was was really great.

Lots of action/violence, memorable characters and moments and at times a subsersive take on the superhero mythos.

8/10

Oh, and two words - Hit Girl. She was the best part of this movie.

Tired-Hiker
I saw this movie and it was aweful!! Naw, I never saw it, lol. So how are you? smile

Darth Martin
Saw this today. It wasn't bad. It was good but I wouldn't call it great. I went in expecting nothing and came out feeling nothing. I didn't feel it was as great as the reviews have been hailing it. There were many cliches and judging from the beginning material, I thought this film would be different. It's got neat action and some laughs. Wasn't a bad way to spend $6.50 and two hours on a Saturday afternoon. Very glad it was rated R; and didn't take the sell-out route for the PG-13 rating.

I'd give it a 7/10.

So, where does this place interms of best comic book movies? It's one of the better ones. It's like a much more violent and adult version of the first Spiderman film except there is no such thing as superhuman powers. It isn't in the elite category but I did like it better than The Incredible Hulk.

DarthLazious
Great movie and I will buying this movie when it comes out on DVD.

Robtard
Wasn't bad, I laughed at a few scenes, enjoyed most of the fighting, bits of the dialogue were okay; overall though, I left with a mild feeling of lacking. Wish they had spent a little more time on Big Daddy/Hit Girl dynamic, that seemed really rushed.

To those that read the comic, did Kick-Ass not do all the much on paper either? This part surprised, I was expecting the exaxt opposite, but I got the point, "because they'd get killed if they tried", as the fat-kid said.

jalek moye
Wasn't bad, I laughed at a few scenes, enjoyed most of the fighting, bits of the dialogue were okay; overall though, I left with a mild feeling of lacking. Wish they had spent a little more time on Big Daddy/Hit Girl dynamic, that seemed really rushed.

To those that read the comic, did Kick-Ass not do all the much on paper either? This part surprised, I was expecting the exaxt opposite, but I got the point, "because they'd get killed if they tried", as the fat-kid said.

Nope, in the comic all he did was the fight that got him in the hospital, the fight that made him famous, get saved by hitgirl. and shoot the mob boss in the balls. In the comcis he did beat the ever loving shit out of Red mist tho, it wasn't some silly comedy fight like in the movie.

Robtard
Damn, that would have been better, seeing that kid get his ass thoroughly kicked.

Tired-Hiker
Holy shit! I don't know what movie some of you actually watched, but I was thoroughly impressed and entertained by Kick-Ass, by far the best comic book movie ever made, and I mean that. Hit Girl alone made Batman and Spider-Man look like pussies. The action scenes with her were the best blend of sound, editing, music, and choreography that I've seen since the original Die Hard. I was expecting to enjoy this movie, but I had no idea I'd be blown away as much as I was. In fact, this movie was the best movie in general I've seen for probablly the last few years.

Darth Martin
whistle

Tired-Hiker
I know, I read your review. I can't help it, this movie pulled my heart strings just right.

kgkg
Is it similar to Defendor?- I loved that movie

Tired-Hiker
Never saw Defendor, but I want to.

Kazenji
For this movie and i guess the comic......why is "He does'nt have super powers such a bad thing"

been plenty of heroes before this movie without them.

Ms.Marvel
... because in real life people like batman wouldnt last long before they get merc'd.

Kazenji
Was'nt talking about real life.....but nevermind.

Ms.Marvel
oh sorry stick out tongue

The Nuul
This was pretty good!

dadudemon
Was a great film. 8 out of 10.

Really wish I could have seen more action from Big Daddy as his scene was the coolest out of all of them.

I also wanted to see the main character progressively get better at what he was doing, but, realistically, things happened the way they should have.

It could have been better, for sure, but it was certainly better than most movies this year.

Ms.Marvel
what stopped you from giving it a 10/10? is it for the reasons you stated (not enough big daddy scenes/not enough protagonist ass kicking)?

NemeBro
Really wish I could have seen more action from Big Daddy as his scene was the coolest out of all of them. I agree with this, Nicholas Cage is ossum, and Big Daddy's scene was indeed the coolest action scene IMO.

dadudemon
what stopped you from giving it a 10/10? is it for the reasons you stated (not enough big daddy scenes/not enough protagonist ass kicking)?

Yeah, the stuff I stated, the fact that Kick-Ass was a wanna-be, and some other cheesy "b" level stuff.

The acting was pretty damn good....and Kick-Ass's Girlfriend was pretty damn hot, holdin' her bewbz in that one scene. It was stupid how she believed him after he told her that he was Kick Ass. No way would it have been that quick. She was built up to be this wise, all-caring, type, just to turn into a ditz over him once she found out he was Kick Ass. It kind of ruined her character...even though the movie was supposed to be about Amistad/Schindler's List level quality of character development.

Still, lots of things were realistic such as his video going viral, (It's not a spoiler, folks: that's in the previews.),clumsiness around girls, etc. I also liked how they had to, Fix his IP address problems as it would be quite easy to figure out his information if he had a public profile like that...good thinking by the writers.For me, it would have been better had his "depression" resulted in him training with Hit Girl and Big Daddy, THEN kicking ass, making a name for himself, and THEN getting mistaken for Big Daddy's exploits against the mob boss. It would have made things more believable and fun for me. I wanted to see the Kick Ass character start to succeed. Still, that's just a personal preference.

Hit Girl's scenes were fun. I really enjoyed the First Person Shooter scene she had. I wanted to see some actual real damage to Kick Ass as he was beat down with batons, bats, and brass knuckles. He should have had several gaping cuts on his face, broken, ribs, bruises all over the place, etc. They were realistic with some stuff involving Kick Ass, and then NOT realistic. I was hoping that he would meet up with his Girl Friend, proving he was Kick Ass, but they seemed to completely forgo any realistic play-out with his GF and she just believed him. Still sucked, IMO.

Of course, my usual complaints about prop placement errors, and other choreography mistakes. Some movies are really good about not making those mistakes and others seem to just no give a f*ck. This movie was in-between those two poles.

Anyway, is that what you wanted? I could give more details after watching it a second time. I plan to watch it one more time, after it's released on DVD. That's a huge plus for any film as I have this weird thing about not watching a movie more than once.

Originally posted by NemeBro
I agree with this, Nicholas Cage is ossum, and Big Daddy's scene was indeed the coolest action scene IMO.

Bingo. And, I really liked the fact that it DID have Thinking about taking the cameras out BEFORE entering the building. Despite still missing the teddy bear, I was glad that they made his character actually smart instead of forgetting about any logical obstacle that would occur in the real world. A big mafia boss' compound would definitely have cameras all over the place. I was going to facepalm if he didn't take out the cameras OTHER than the hidden one. Made me happy, as you can tell, that his character thought about that. I am on the edge as to whether or not I liked how he spoke and acted in the film. It was odd and eccentric, but, I think that was the point: what kind of father would train his daughter to be a hunter-killer-infiltrator? An odd eccentric one. I liked his reasoning behind having her do it, too. The mob boss tore his family apart and drove his wife to the point of suicide: his daughter deserved a slice of revenge.

jalek moye
Yeah, the stuff I stated, the fact that Kick-Ass was a wanna-be, and some other cheesy "b" level stuff.

The acting was pretty damn good....and Kick-Ass's Girlfriend was pretty damn hot, holdin' her bewbz in that one scene. It was stupid how she believed him after he told her that he was Kick Ass. No way would it have been that quick. She was built up to be this wise, all-caring, type, just to turn into a ditz over him once she found out he was Kick Ass. It kind of ruined her character...even though the movie was supposed to be about Amistad/Schindler's List level quality of character development.

In the comic she gets pissed off at his betrayal when she fidns out hes not gay and has been lying and hates him for manipulation htinking it was just to be pervy."

dadudemon
Originally posted by jalek moye
In the comic she gets pissed off at his betrayal when she fidns out hes not gay and has been lying and hates him for manipulation htinking it was just to be pervy."
But, does she start to like him later? That'd suck if that's how that played out in the "canon" version.

jalek moye
But, does she start to like him later? That'd suck if that's how that played out in the "canon" version.

nope he gets all upset and does something hiliarious

BruceSkywalker
i have seen kick-ass

its a good movie, but i wanted more

The Nuul
IMO its better than the Hulk but not better than IM, Batman or WM.

The Nuul
This is much better than the Defendor.

Defendor is just ok.

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by jalek moye

Having read the comic I was looking forward to that, Dave getting his balls tortured and how Big Daddy really died. That said, I liked what they did in the movie. One of the best comic book movies Ive seen. I was entertained the whole time. Nic Cage was a bit over the top but somehow I didnt mind it. Hit Girl stole the movie.

Darth Martin
Between Kick-Ass and Iron Man 2; what do you people think is the better comic book film. Kick Ass was cool and all, but I think Iron Man 2 is a notch or possibly two above it.

SnakeEyes
I enjoyed Kick-Ass more, I thought it was more unique, less muddled (plot-wise), better action sequences, etc.

Ms.Marvel
kickass was better imo

im biased though. i loved the kickass comic before the movie was even revealed to come out, and ive always hated iron man ermm

Rogue Jedi
kickass was better imo

im biased though. i loved the kickass comic before the movie was even revealed to come out, and ive always hated iron man ermm Same on Iron Man.

Myth
Between Kick-Ass and Iron Man 2; what do you people think is the better comic book film. Kick Ass was cool and all, but I think Iron Man 2 is a notch or possibly two above it.

Kick-Ass was better to me. They both attempted humor, but I felt every attempt at humor in Iron Man 2 fell flat. I also hated in Iron Man 2 that Whiplash spent pretty much the entire movie building his drone army, which after Iron Man avoided for 15 minutes destroyed them like it was nothing. This of course was followed up by a mere 30 second fight between Whiplash and Iron Man/War Machine. There was very little struggle on Iron Man's part in the sense of having to overcome taking a beating before winning. He avoided for about 10 minutes, got beat up for about 30 seconds, then won suddenly. Top that with a boring 1st half and the feel of the movie seeming no longer new (simple effect of it being a sequel), and that made it pretty darn easy for me to enjoy Kick-Ass more.

Darth Martin
Well the humor in Kick Ass>>>Iron Man 2; just like ROTF, Iron Man 2 tried too hard. Rockwell and Downey Jr. went way over the top with trying to make every single thing they said hilarious.

Kick Ass had elements of Judd Apatow films so......

Action-wise: Iron Man 2>Kick Ass. Kick Ass 3 really good fight scenes. But the finale in Iron Man 2 with Iron Man & War Machine ripping through drones and fighting Venko kicked ass, was literally breathtaking, easily outdoing anything in Kick Ass. I was on the edge of my seat.

Character-wise: Iron Man>>>>Kick Ass. Kick Ass had only 2-4 memorable characters. All of the major cast in Iron Man was great with the exception of Rourke's character.

Hell, come to think of it, Kick Ass very well might be the better film of the two. It's closer than I initially thought.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>