US History Textbooks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Liberator
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100315/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1253_3

One phrase can describe this situation:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOP

Bardock42

inimalist
so, for as much as this might inspire "americanism", if it works, it would only cement the international steryotype of Americans as idiots, as now even the educated ones wouldn't know simple facts about their own history, let alone the world's. Its like the conservatives are doing everything in their power to speed the descent of American into some type of authoritarian or autocratic despotism.

That being said, it wont work. Kids these days believe youtube more than they do teachers

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by inimalist

That being said, it wont work. Kids these days believe youtube more than they do teachers

In other words, kids these days are already stupid?

inimalist
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
In other words, kids these days are already stupid?

no, I wouldn't confuse "believe moronic things that should be obvisouly illogical" and "stupid"

its just that, for the brain, the things we believe have nothing to do with their "truth" but with emotional and personal relevance.

So like, in this instance, if a kid is going to become a "radical anti-american anti-capitalist" (which actually describes the vast majority of people who don't live in "former" colonial powers) its not goiong to have much to do with their education at this point, at least I would think.

Not only that, kids aren't stupid. They will know when they are being lied to, if for no other reason, they might look stuff up on wikipedia. Teachers as individuals will always teach their way anyways. I had a few VERY religious teachers, who wore it on their sleeve, if anything that helped me cement my anti-religious ideas.

Shakyamunison
...Not only that, kids aren't stupid. They will know when they are being lied to, if for no other reason, they might look stuff up on wikipedia...

hysterical That was way too funny.

Symmetric Chaos

inimalist
hysterical That was way too funny.

it is true though

even if we asssume wiki is wrong (which studies show it is at least as accurate as other encycleopedia's ), it will offer a second opinion, probably in line with what the general, global, academic feelings on the matter are.

Like, even if everyone is lying and trying to manipulate kids, there are so many places for them to get info from, and the reverance of teachers as the providers of info was dead when i was in highschool

Bardock42
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Wow, Bardock scared of the free market. Things must be serious. I don't mind the free market, I just don't like rats on my face.

inimalist
Wow, Bardock scared of the free market. Things must be serious.

the free market of government run schools and government contracts with text-book companies which effect government mandated curriculum?

Liberator
Damned conseravitives and right-winged bastards. All I have to say about that.

dadudemon
This is a sad day for America.

Thomas Jefferson's ideals are what this nation has deviated from. If our government ran closely to a mondernized version of his ideals, we'd have far less problems.

Stupid texans and their stupid conservative ideals.

Lord Lucien
Who the hell is this "Texas" scoundrel, and why is he corrupting America's youth?

Mindset
I've always hated Texas.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Who the hell is this "Texas" scoundrel, and why is he corrupting America's youth?

He lives in Texas. Go there, to the first town you come across, and walk the streets. Talk to the people, and if you survive, you will understand. wink

Robtard
Listen people, are these "revisions" not entirely the truth, sure, they're lies in a fashion; more akin to slighty bending the truth, actually.

But considering Christianity is a the religion of Good, having a Christian Nation would by default net us a nation of Good; who doesn't want that?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Robtard
Listen people, are these "revisions" not entirely the truth, sure, they're lies in a fashion; more akin to slighty bending the truth, actually.

But considering Christianity is a the religion of Good, having a Christian Nation would by default net us a nation of Good; who doesn't want that?

But what is "good"?

Robtard
But what is "good"?

Christianity/Jesus/God, duh.

Bardock42
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/honor_societies.png

Robtard
^

*raises hand*

I don't understand.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Robtard

Hah! White lies . . .

Symmetric Chaos
the free market of government run schools and government contracts with text-book companies which effect government mandated curriculum?

You misunderstand. One of the things Bardock quoted as being "freaky 1984 shit" was a push toward making students think of the Free Market as a good thing.

Moscow

Symmetric Chaos
Why is no one crying foul about the conservative bashing?

Things are so inconsistent around here no

Shakyamunison

Because Texans will simply shoot you.

Bardock42
You misunderstand. One of the things Bardock quoted as being "freaky 1984 shit" was a push toward making students think of the Free Market as a good thing. That's not actually what it said though, it said that "Free Market" is already a positive term in US society, so that term should be used. That reminded me an awful, awful lot of doublespeak, regardless of the philosophy behind the terms. However, I got what you meant, you do make sense most of the time.

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by Bardock42
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/honor_societies.png Funny, and it made me feel smart for knowing what tautology means

Moscow

Someone will eventually. That's why we need moderates to balance each other out.

Not that I am one, of course.

inimalist
You misunderstand. One of the things Bardock quoted as being "freaky 1984 shit" was a push toward making students think of the Free Market as a good thing.

ah, its that rabid inner-randian of mine

RocasAtoll
This is like Conservapedia saying they are reinterpreting the Bible to make it fit more with their views.

Regardless, all history will be biased towards one side or the other. It's less about getting the "right" history than every perspective on the event.

Deja~vu
Yep, it's simple, history will always favor the area it comes from. An example is the Civil war. Read books written by the south then go and read books of the accounts written by the north. Actually it's a good idea because you would get a better feel and a better look at the whole picture. I guess it's just subjective on who is interpreting it.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Deja~vu
Yep, it's simple, history will always favor the area it comes from. An example is the Civil war.

Surely you mean the War of Northern Aggression mad

Deja~vu
laughing out loud

The South just can't seem to get over that little thingie.

RQTBallGirl
Hmm...I happen to be a High School U.S. History teacher in Texas. (And no, we don't shoot everyone down here...) I believe if you talked to us teachers, you would find that we think this is a bunch of BS. And if anyone tries to tell me to take Jefferson out...umm...well, I guess I MIGHT shoot them....

Mindship
Originally posted by RQTBallGirl
Hmm...I happen to be a High School U.S. History teacher in Texas. (And no, we don't shoot everyone down here...) I believe if you talked to us teachers, you would find that we think this is a bunch of BS. And if anyone tries to tell me to take Jefferson out...umm...well, I guess I MIGHT shoot them.... If it does happen, the politico-bureaucratic machinery of the educational system will put enforcing these changes front and center. I work in high schools in NYC, and the Powers That Be are enforcing all kinds of changes that reflect, first and foremost, the Emperor, er, Mayor's wishes, despite common-sense/real-world input from parents and teachers; and in some instances "reform" is simply ignoring the law.

Image is everything, substance can be faked, might makes right.

dadudemon

laughing

I see what you did there. Poor Shakya: you're too much for his nice-guy tude.

Originally posted by RQTBallGirl
Hmm...I happen to be a High School U.S. History teacher in Texas. (And no, we don't shoot everyone down here...) I believe if you talked to us teachers, you would find that we think this is a bunch of BS. And if anyone tries to tell me to take Jefferson out...umm...well, I guess I MIGHT shoot them....

Good! Mad respect, then.

And, A/S? awesome

(Because an intelligent highschool teacher is sexy.)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.