Most Un-Original Comic Characters....?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

galactusischere
Name your top three.

Mine are, Supergirl, Sentry, and Rulk.

Gecko4lif
Sub supergirl for Us agent

BlackZero30x
Scarlet Spider shifty

Endless Mike
Practically any character created by Rob Liefeld.

roughrider
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Practically any character created by Rob Liefeld.

He's high on the list of offenders. It's been other creators that have made characters like Supreme & Deadpool interesting. And Cable has one of the worst designs in comics.

I understand they sometimes do deliberate analogues to do something interesting the other company doesn't, but still...

I'll submit Mongul - he's a less interesting copy of Thanos.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by roughrider
He's high on the list of offenders. It's been other creators that have made characters like Supreme & Deadpool interesting. And Cable has one of the worst designs in comics.

I understand they sometimes do deliberate analogues to do something interesting the other company doesn't, but still...

I'll submit Mongul - he's a less interesting copy of Thanos.
Who in turn was something of a hybrid of Metron and Darkseid.

Oddly enough Sentry is actually rather original (if not in original design then in eventual characterization) but in this case original=/=good.

Philosophía
Gladiator.

Probably not the, but one of.

Omega Vision

BUSTER1
She hulk
Spiderwoman
Red Hulk
Red She-Hulk
Gladiator
Sentry

SevenShackles
is this about simply most un original or copies of other characters that simply fall short at being anything but a copy? cuz Gladiator might be something of a copy but over time became his own char. same with a few others like mongul who sure you can connect dots to thanos but acts and has his own elements all his own.

so is it just any copy, or the failed copies in this thread?

Martian_mind
Sentry. When you're somewhat a rip off of Triumph, you know you're pathetic.

Galan007
Konvikt.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Sentry. When you're somewhat a rip off of Triumph, you know you're pathetic.
I wouldn't go so far as to say he was based on Triumph, just implemented in a similar manner.

No arguments that it probably would have been better if Sentry had followed Triumph's path more closely and gone to obscurity (to the point that Triumph died implicitly off panel because no one cared enough to move him when the Hall of Justice got destroyed with his statue in it) rather than become one of the most important (arguably at the moment THE most important) characters in the MU.

Kazenji
And Cable has one of the worst designs in comics.

Depends who draws him....obvisouly when Liefield draws he's all muscly and packing enough firepower to level a city.

Konton
Gayness aside, Apollo is an obvious Superman clone with Havoc's sparkle energy signature.

SamZED
Dont mind people stealing someone's ideas as long as they further develop the character. Take Deadpool for example. Started as a Slade rip off but can you call him a copy?
Sentry's not that bad. Although the whole multiple personalities thing's been done to death.
Now Rulk is one of the most un-original, basically the smae Hulk, except Red. Yay...

Warlord
spiderman, wolverine and superman based characters...they're just TOO many and they only harvest their prototype's success.

and no Sentry does not fall in this category

SamZED
By Spider-man based characters do you mean the symbiotes? Cause they have no more in common with Spider-man than Sentry with Superman...

Mindship
Dracula and Godzilla.
DC's Thor.

Warlord
Originally posted by SamZED
By Spider-man based characters do you mean the symbiotes? Cause they have no more in common with Spider-man than Sentry with Superman...

I was talking about: spider-woman, arachne, spider-girl, crimson spider, ben reily etc...

roughrider
I don't think coming up with female versions of male characters (at the same company) is necessarily copying or unoriginal. Just trying a different direction.

Now, Midnighter of The Authority - he's a Batman clone who just embraces all the wink-wink-nudge-nudge homoerotic subtext of the 1950's-60's Bat family comics (the editors were really naive then, weren't they?) Him and Apollo, it's just playing out the whole "Yes, Kirk & Spock are gay!" fanatsy. roll eyes (sarcastic)

WhiteWitchKing
http://hulkcollection.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/919noz.jpg

Digi
I don't think coming up with female versions of male characters (at the same company) is necessarily copying or unoriginal. Just trying a different direction.

Now, Midnighter of The Authority - he's a Batman clone who just embraces all the wink-wink-nudge-nudge homoerotic subtext of the 1950's-60's Bat family comics (the editors were really naive then, weren't they?) Him and Apollo, it's just playing out the whole "Yes, Kirk & Spock are gay!" fanatsy. roll eyes (sarcastic)

See, here's the problem with that statement: MNer and Apollo were created deliberately as a dark parody of Superman and Batman. Heck, the entire Authority was created as a loose, more mercenary, clone of the JLA. There's a difference between intended copying and laziness.

And of course, they've all since become layered characters in their own right. The MN/Apollo relationship takes a back seat these days though.

roughrider
Blockbuster - Hulk rip off.

willRules
Originally posted by Digi
See, here's the problem with that statement: MNer and Apollo were created deliberately as a dark parody of Superman and Batman. Heck, the entire Authority was created as a loose, more mercenary, clone of the JLA. There's a difference between intended copying and laziness.

And of course, they've all since become layered characters in their own right. The MN/Apollo relationship takes a back seat these days though.

Agreed.

Which is why it's important to establish from the outset of this thread that being unoriginal is not necessarily a bad thing smile

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Warlord
I was talking about: spider-woman, arachne, spider-girl, crimson spider, ben reily etc...
What about Iron Man's rogues gallery? Half of them are just guys in pirated/reverse engineered versions of his suit.

WickedDynamite
A lot of Marvel Characters...

roughrider
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
A lot of Marvel Characters...

You're biased, WD. wink

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
http://hulkcollection.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/919noz.jpg

^ We have a winner.

Endless Mike
Originally posted by roughrider I'll submit Mongul - he's a less interesting copy of Thanos.

Didn't Mongul come before Thanos?

roughrider
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Didn't Mongul come before Thanos?

Nope. Jim Starlin created Thanos, and admitted he was trying to copy him at DC when he co-created Mongul.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.