Steve Coogan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tired-Hiker
This guy cracks me up. I want to see him as the lead in something new. I kind of think he's long overdue for a recent lead role. He has a great wit about him, and in my opinion, the lead roles he gets like in Tristram Shandy A Cock And Bull Story, and Around The World In 80 Days with Jackie Chan, the movies themselves end up not so great, but his performances are wonderful. He was recently in Percy Jackson as Hades. You might remember him as minnie Octavius in the Night At The Museum flicks, and he is the funniest character in Tropic Thunder, Damian Cockburn, the movie director who is blown up five minutes into the film. He's also had commendable roles in 24 Party People, and a ton of other stuff. I realized I liked the guy whilst watching Around The World In 80 Days when it dawned upon me that he is the most hilarious thing about that movie, making it actually a decent flick for me.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/TiredHiker/Stevecoogan.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/TiredHiker/2002_24_hour_party_people_007.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/TiredHiker/65384_bu.jpg

edwinian
I just saw him in the Used Guys trailer, he's pretty funny in his small part.

§P0oONY
How on earth can you mention Steve Coogan without even touching on Alan Partridge?

Tired-Hiker
Because I'm an American. usaflag

§P0oONY
Then you really haven't experienced Coogan at his best. He's good in those films but he is GREAT as Alan Partridge. "I'm Alan Partridge" and "Knowing Me, Knowing You" are both on youtube. Well worth watching. There are only a dozen or so episodes so it won't take up too much time.

Bardock42
I loved "Knowing Me, Knowing You...with Alan Partridge". "I'm Alan Partridge" is very funny, too, however I preferred the talk show.

§P0oONY
I'm with you, I prefered Knowing Me, Knowing You too. Both are well worth watching though.

Tired-Hiker

Alpha Centauri
Those shows contain some primarily British humour.

Not just in style, but locations and references that you wouldn't know unless you lived here.

-AC

§P0oONY
It stil contains a lot of humour that will travel though. The cringe factor you get is one that the American's have in such programmes as The Office and Curb Your Enthusiasm. The only thing you need to know location-wise is that Norwich isn't exactly a desirable place to live.

I see no real reason why an American audience wouldn't enjoy it.

Alpha Centauri
"Americans" don't necessarily love Curb Your Enthusiasm.

You look at almost any American sitcom and there's a laughter track. Every line that any character says is either an obvious joke, or obviously intended to be funny (When the laughter track gets played, they're saying "Find this funny"wink.

That's why Larry David made Curb as he did, because he was tired of every character simply being obligated to say something funny. If life had that high a ratio of funny people, it would be better.

I'm Alan Partridge has one, but that was intended for parody; I read it in an Armando Iannucci interview. There are parts that just aren't meant to be funny, with laughter tracks on them.

The Office U.S. is nothing like the U.K. one. The British one was about office life in this country that a lot of us can relate to. Not just the working-in-an-office bit, but I defy you to find someone who has worked in business or networking that DOESN'T know someone akin at least two of those characters.

The Office U.S. is just funny men in an office doing stuff.

Is Tired-Hiker going to get why the Little Chef jokes are funny? Of course he's not. Is he going to know why it's funny to see the jacket Alan wears to the funeral? Probably not.

Not saying he won't enjoy it, but there's a lot there that you'd have to know British life to get.

-AC

§P0oONY
I think you are really under estimating the Americans. Of course they won't get the British references but apart from that they'll find it funny.

The US Office may be different but if anything the US office has more in common with Alan Partridge then the UK one. As Alan Partridge isn't subtle in the least.

Tired-Hiker
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Is Tired-Hiker going to get why the Little Chef jokes are funny? Of course he's not. Is he going to know why it's funny to see the jacket Alan wears to the funeral? Probably not.

Not saying he won't enjoy it, but there's a lot there that you'd have to know British life to get.

-AC

Good points, very good points indeed! smile

uniqueweasel
I read somewhere, that they were supposedly making an Alan Partridge movie? Not sure if it was just a rumour though!!

ADarksideJedi
I seen him in a movie too but I Can't think which one it was.Does anyone mind posting all his movies that he been in?thanks.

politicsguy
steve coogan is hilarous did anybody see his appearance on top gear?

ADarksideJedi
nope

beatrixpoul
Stephen John Steve Coogan is a British comedian, actor, and writer Steve Coogan producer.Actor never had to worry too much about his appearance. But when the actor turned to Hollywood blockbusters like Around the World in 80 days.

K J H
Originally posted by politicsguy
steve coogan is hilarous did anybody see his appearance on top gear?

He does areally good Arnold Schwarzenegger impression

GET IN THE HOT TUB WITH ME STEVE big grin

i really liked the Around the World In The 80 Days film great film

maham
I saw him in around the world in 80 days and absolutely loved him. To me Jackie Chan was the highlight of the film AFTER Steve Coogan. His role in Night at the Museum was small, but important. Wish he gets better and bigger roles.

SimonComics
Originally posted by uniqueweasel
I read somewhere, that they were supposedly making an Alan Partridge movie? Not sure if it was just a rumour though!!

I had not heard that. My first exposure to him was the Tristam Shandy movie, which was awesome.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.