Cool concepts in comics that never met there potential

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Battlehammer
Cool concepts that you like, but execution was bad or they never developed into anything of importance or relevance.

Some examples was Anti-Venom. I thought the idea of turning Brock into a good guy and giving him a good Venom evolved suit, was interesting concept with potential, but was executed poorly.

Another Example was that of giving Harry Osborn not only a goal to put his father down, but also giving him a super soldier like serum and a suit, but this idea really never to my knowledge developed into anything.

-Pr-
New Krypton. They straight up ballsed it up.

The X-Men's SF base. Lots of potential, badly done.

Kero_Co
Most certainly Simon Dark.

I'm tempted to say The Web, but I'm sure we'll see more of that in future Red Circle mini's.

Newjak
Juggernaut's 8th Day saga.

The idea of 8 cosmicly powered badass gods waging a war over whose more powerful through avatars was very interesting. Only problem the avatars with a few exceptions weren't that powerful nor did it ever really seem like a world breaking event.

and I would also add

Thor's return into Mainstream Marvel.
I mean in his book his return was handled about as good anything I've read but once other writers got a hold of him all of asudden he seemed to drop a few pegs again. That and it didn't really seem to cause any big ruckus as in Thor's back shit thats awesome. They more less treated it as business as usual with him.

roughrider
Moon Knight. Marvel hasn't gone far enough to show him as someone other than Marvel's answer to Batman. They never stick with a direction long enough.

Omega Vision
Monarch. He would have been so much better if he was the actual arch-villain of Countdown rather than just a pawn in a game between Solomon and Darkseid.
He could have been like Imperiex, only a Multiversal threat and with a genuine personality.

Galan007
Originally posted by Kero_Co
Most certainly Simon Dark. Explain.

JakeTheBank
Sodam Yat as Ion.

manjaro
how about every Super A.I. ever?....none of them ever wants to just chill the f **** out..everybody wants to go rogue and kill all the fleshies

Darth Vicious
The Sentry. Marvel's answer to Superman. I liked the original mini. Powerful, heroic guy that turned out to be his own worst enemy. Then he came back on New Avengers and everything went to hell. They went and make the guy crazy. So much wasted potential.

Kero_Co
With Simon Dark, its basically an issue of pacing and cancellation. As far as power, Simon's have never really been defined. Not the stamina and super strength, but his magic related powers. What type of magic/secrets does he really know? He's never had a serious fight. He holds back all the time, or lets loose and destroys anything from common thugs to the last fight against his "brother" ,like toilet paper. We never get an inside look into what its like to be "The Mayor" and what type of responsibilities really go with the job. An interesting supporting cast of shapeshifting demons, each with a personal history, but they don't show up all that much after they're introduced. I think there was a lot of potential in Simon Dark that we'll never get to see.

Galan007
Originally posted by Kero_Co
With Simon Dark, its basically an issue of pacing and cancellation. As far as power, Simon's have never really been defined. Not the stamina and super strength, but his magic related powers. What type of magic/secrets does he really know? He's never had a serious fight. He holds back all the time, or lets loose and destroys anything from common thugs to the last fight against his "brother" ,like toilet paper. We never get an inside look into what its like to be "The Mayor" and what type of responsibilities really go with the job. An interesting supporting cast of shapeshifting demons, each with a personal history, but they don't show up all that much after they're introduced. I think there was a lot of potential in Simon Dark that we'll never get to see. I agree with that much. thumb up

Endless Mike
Originally posted by manjaro
how about every Super A.I. ever?....none of them ever wants to just chill the f **** out..everybody wants to go rogue and kill all the fleshies

What about Spartan from Wildstorm?

WickedDynamite
Infinity Inc.

srankmissingnin
Secret Invasion. That had some much potential. "We are shape shifters, we have infiltrated all your systems of power and governments, you don't have the means to detect us, we are already among you, we've already won... now EVERY SKRULL DROP YOUR INTRICATE COVER WE HAVE BEEN BUILDING FOR YEARS AND GO FIGHT SHIT IN NEW YOOOOOOOOOORK! Yeah but what? I guess if it was handled in even a semi-competent manor the Skrulls would have had to have won.

roughrider
Donna Troy. Just try reading her origin on Wikipedia - your eyes swim and a headache comes on, trying to understand who she is (her roots have been retconned WAY too many times...)

The Nuul
Authority, they were great at one time but since DC got a hold of it, they suck now.

Omega Vision
Vandal Savage. A guy with that much prep time should be doing a lot better as a villain.

Same with Apocalypse and (to a lesser extent) R'as Al Ghul.

batdude123
Originally posted by -Pr-
New Krypton. They straight up ballsed it up.

I hated the concept to begin with.

steverules_2
Amazing spiderman civil war, had the potential to show of spidermans bad assness and they balled him up...he unmasked in public and his issues lately have just been awful, I hate what marvel has done to him

colossulrage
Jim Lee and Frank Miller on All Star Batman and Robin....I mean it was ****ed with the first panel....Oh what could of been...

colossulrage
And secondary mutations...what a layz way to further a plot

Warlord
the sentry....
the initial series were very promising...we all know how it went

JakeTheBank
New Krypton.

willRules
Longshot. A character with powers like that should be a regular mainstream character, at least within the X-universe or something. The story potential with a character who has those powers should be so big, yet he's rarely used.

Blanket
Terraxia

dmills
Marvel Boy (Noh Varr) WTF happened? I got the trade when it came out back in the day, he was badass. Then Bendis got ahold of of him and chumped him up.

Bentley
The Fantastic Four in recent books. We know Reed saves the day, we get it, but this is a team book, Sue is more than a mother and a wife and the others should be the full-fledged heroes they are by their own right.

basilisk
Originally posted by colossulrage
And secondary mutations...what a layz way to further a plot I HATE secondary mutations.
Originally posted by dmills
Marvel Boy (Noh Varr) WTF happened? I got the trade when it came out back in the day, he was badass. Then Bendis got ahold of of him and chumped him up. Bendis chumps everything Avengers related. It's what he does.
Originally posted by Bentley
The Fantastic Four in recent books. We know Reed saves the day, we get it, but this is a team book, Sue is more than a mother and a wife and the others should be the full-fledged heroes they are by their own right.
Agreed. The FF lately has just not really worked and the last issue doesn't look like improving things.
Originally posted by Blanket
Terraxia As in Thanos's ultimate fantasy girlfriend, the one who looks like himself and for some disturbing reason he named after Terrax? I mean I know Thanos has serious issues but WTF???

psycho gundam
red hulk

dmills
Crossgen comics. Damn their art was top notch, even by today's standards. I don't know what went wrong but it was cool while it lasted.

dmills
Realm of Kings could've been cool. But it just had too much going on for two writers to execute with precision.

Doctor-Alvis
Originally posted by Bentley
I'm waiting for Sue to start trumping both Reed and Doom at the same time in another nauseating "Hey, I was a scientist too" push like Banner got.

basilisk
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
I'm waiting for Sue to start trumping both Reed and Doom at the same time in another nauseating "Hey, I was a scientist too" push like Banner got.
That's Ultimate FF isn't it? Since Sue wasn't a scientist in mainstream FF. But yeah, here's hoping FF never gets that stupid.

Darth Martin
http://www.panelsonpages.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/the-spot.jpg

The guy's power set is incredibly creative. He's smart and all but they never use him enough or to his potential.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.