Methane Gas Ice "viciously" speeding up Global Warming?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ultraviolence
hXttp:X//wXww.youtube.com/watch?v=prDNQxq2rKI
(Remove the capitalized X's to view link)

I was viewing the news today on television (Which is not something I usually do) I noticed a segment on the program that stated methane gas trapped inside of ice, or something of that sort, was being released into the atmosphere due to the vastly melting ice and would speed up the process of global warming. I might add that they also stated it could cause the "apocalypse" and was occurring on a "viciously" quick scale. Thoughts?

KidRock
Time to tax everyone that farts, since they're letting out methane gas and all.

Don't like the tax? Don't fart then.

It's for the greater good, don't question it.

Ultraviolence
Does anyone have a response that isn't ridiculous?

Ordo
The main concern that I have heard about methance gas bubbles as that one will be released and destroy the planet.

I haven't heard much about global warming, but here is pop science article re 2006.

Bicnarok
Oddly enough, human mass farming is causing a similar problem, animal farts and richard the 3rds are also causing serious damage to the atmosphere

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Ultraviolence

I was viewing the news today on television (Which is not something I usually do) I noticed a segment on the program that stated methane gas trapped inside of ice, or something of that sort, was being released into the atmosphere due to the vastly melting ice and would speed up the process of global warming. I might add that they also stated it could cause the "apocalypse" and was occurring on a "viciously" quick scale. Thoughts?

Well that can reasonably be characterized as an hysterical reaction. However, methane does contribute to global climate change and if large bubbles of it are released the problems would accelerate. Considering that we can't really do much about those bubbles it's probably best to focus on either other sources of green house gases or prepare for inevitable and potentially disastrous shifts in the climate (though almost certainly not the apocalypse).

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Ultraviolence

whats with all the x's? just do this....

prDNQxq2rKI

Shakyamunison
http://www.livescience.com/environment/060906_methane_bubbles.html

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bicnarok
whats with all the x's? just do this....

prDNQxq2rKI

Cause brand new members can't post links.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.