Buddhism, as it is practiced throughout the world

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cherrcherr123
Buddhism, as it is practiced throughout the world, has long included a broad range of such varied religious performances as tree and serpent worship, astrology, divination, thaumaturgy, spell-chanting, exorcism, and later tantric rituals and ceremonies, and the like. Many of these cultic practices appear to be at odds with some of the lofty spiritual ideals described in selected scriptures. Orientalist scholars of the nineteenth century opined that the original teachings of the Buddha had been tarnished by accretions from local cultic observances. Hence, from almost its very inception, the study of Buddhism in the West has been hindered by presuppositions due to reliance upon selected canonical sources. Rather than letting the varied literary and archeological materials speak for themselves, "authentic" Buddhism has been restricted to a narrow, catholic interpretation as a purely atheistic, ascetic religion not interested in the manipulation and propitiation of gods and spirits.

inimalist
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-128251979.html

are you Richard McBride?

Mindship
Maybe...Coberst?

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by inimalist
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-128251979.html

are you Richard McBride?
Spammer

Bicnarok
Seeing as you opened 3 threads on Buddhism I presume you like it.

I was wondering, did Buddha practiced Yoga?

And if so why is he portrayed as a fatty when most of modern day yoga practitioners are skinny as a bean pole.

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Seeing as you opened 3 threads on Buddhism I presume you like it.

I was wondering, did Buddha practiced Yoga?

And if so why is he portrayed as a fatty when most of modern day yoga practitioners are skinny as a bean pole. that is just a cultural thing Buddha wasn't really fat at least from how he was described to appear in scriptures.

the buddha statue that ppl know and see is the laughing or good luck Buddha..

it is a regional superstitious thing to rub its belly for luck.

also in other countries especially in japan being large was the traditional representation of nobility, strength and power kinda like the sumo wrestler so they gave Buddha statues that attribute.

its symbolic not meant to be accurate.

inimalist
Originally posted by Mindship
Maybe...Coberst?

no, but he was spooky

he totally wrote what he posted, or generated it somehow, but posted it on some dozens of forums iirc. He would reply on occasion as well, I think this guy is more of a bot for his sigs.

Symmetric Chaos
Well I don't know about other places but there was this one Buddhist monk who burned down a historically important temple in order to collect insurance. Sure sounds like a nasty bunch to get mixed up with.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Well I don't know about other places but there was this one Buddhist monk who burned down a historically important temple in order to collect insurance. Sure sounds like a nasty bunch to get mixed up with.

Nasty bunch; you mean human.

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
that is just a cultural thing Buddha wasn't really fat at least from how he was described to appear in scriptures.

the buddha statue that ppl know and see is the laughing or good luck Buddha..

it is a regional superstitious thing to rub its belly for luck.

also in other countries especially in japan being large was the traditional representation of nobility, strength and power kinda like the sumo wrestler so they gave Buddha statues that attribute.

its symbolic not meant to be accurate.

thanks for clearing that up, always made me wonder.

Wild Shadow
now you know and knowing is half the battle...G.I. joe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.