Earth Hour

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shakyamunison
Will you be turning off your light?

http://www.myearthhour.org/

I will not be turning off my lights. Sorry, but I find this kind of thing to be silly. I do what I can to conserve. I recycle and op-in on using alternative energy, which cost me more on my bill. I will not sit in the dark for an hour, with the false belief that somehow I am making a difference.

Wild Shadow
well my water was shut off for the day, does that count?

at least it will be off till noon.. stupid late payments.. erm

MildPossession
We only have a light on in the room we are in... and in the evening, if no one is reading, we put the weaker light on with an 'energy saving' bulb in.

No one where I live did Earth Hour last year as far as I could tell. Saw all sorts of lights on.

No, will not be taking part in it. Though the light is sometimes off anyway when watching television, so it might be off in that hour, whoooooooooooooo knows.

Bicnarok
Nope, totally pointless token event, a drop in the ocean.

Put a 10 KM square solar panel array in death valley or some other desert and there will be no need for any other power source.

The Nuul
Fck no! I'm with you Shak....

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Nope, totally pointless token event, a drop in the ocean.

Put a 10 KM square solar panel array in death valley or some other desert and there will be no need for any other power source.

Even at the golden 80% efficiency, that doesn't even come close to fulfilling the needs of electricity for America.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by dadudemon
Even at the golden 80% efficiency, that doesn't even come close to fulfilling the needs of electricity for America.

And even then you would need superconducting wires to move the energy around for everyone. People that really want a solar revolution need to look toward getting a lot of people interested in personal energy independence.

inimalist
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
personal energy independence.

excuse me, that is why the government exists, to solve all the problems we ever have

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by inimalist
excuse me, that is why the government exists, to solve all the problems we ever have

Then let the government turn off the lights for an hour. Oh wait, I should give Obama any ideas.

Symmetric Chaos

Indeed. All glory to the government!

From that side you could support a mandate for all households to be able to produce a certain amount of power for a certain amount of time. Or as has been mentioned in other threads, demand a return to nuclear power.

Wild Shadow
my water is back on yeh earth day is over for me.

Happy Dance

Mairuzu
Isn't my 6 1/2 - 7 hours of darkness, enough? Do they just want me to sleep an extra hour?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Isn't my 6 1/2 - 7 hours of darkness, enough? Do they just want me to sleep an extra hour?

No, you have to be awake, straight and waving a green flag. laughing

Ultraviolence
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Will you be turning off your light?

http://www.myearthhour.org/

I will not be turning off my lights. Sorry, but I find this kind of thing to be silly. I do what I can to conserve. I recycle and op-in on using alternative energy, which cost me more on my bill. I will not sit in the dark for an hour, with the false belief that somehow I am making a difference.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1444391672891013193#

inimalist
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Indeed. All glory to the government!

From that side you could support a mandate for all households to be able to produce a certain amount of power for a certain amount of time. Or as has been mentioned in other threads, demand a return to nuclear power.

it was a joke

if I see another rich leftist idiot say something like "the government should be taxing me more" I'm going to vomit

DO IT YOURSELF!

but no, like, the argument about environmentalism seems to be either a) don't do anything because it costs the government too much or b) screw the costs, the government needs to do something

think about how much might have been done if the effort and resources put into lobbying were put into hydrogen fuel stations along major highways so that alternative fuels might be viable? or other such things, like raising wind turbines on private property and selling the excess power back to the grid.

stupid egoistic activist idiots.....

/rant (sorry for the incoherence)

inimalist
Then let the government turn off the lights for an hour. Oh wait, I should give Obama any ideas.

why not wait for your parents to do it for you?

Shakyamunison
why not wait for your parents to do it for you?

Both of my parents are dead.

inimalist
Both of my parents are dead.

how would you ever survive without the government then?

Shakyamunison
how would you ever survive without the government then?

I'm just waiting for daddy Obama to take care of me.

fini
I turned of mines, had wine, and sat with my dogs. Who cares if no one else ( in my area) did it.
If I had some company it would have been cool. In fact I would still be out there in the darkness under candle lght.

WickedDynamite
The only people who worship Earth Hour are hippies, thieves, burglars, and robbers.

MildPossession
Actually, most burglaries take place during the day when most people are out at work and so on. stick out tongue

Wild Shadow
yeah, things have changed, when i was a kid thievery occurred under the cover of night now its during the day and no one even notices or cares. you have neighbors asking the thieve if they can help carry stuff into the white moving van or truck.

Moscow
The Earth will have an hour when all the electronic networks of all the major cities suddenly burn out. Remember Miami's blackout and the Northeast Corridor's blackout? If all the major cities around the world did that.. Mother Earth would be ecstatic. She'd probably go down to the pub and get floored.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Moscow
The Earth will have an hour when all the electronic networks of all the major cities suddenly burn out. Remember Miami's blackout and the Northeast Corridor's blackout? If all the major cities around the world did that.. Mother Earth would be ecstatic. She'd probably go down to the pub and get floored. But then she'd be fired for coming in late to work the next day and not be able to pay her electric bills.

Moscow
She'll just take a rain check on that and then get back to restoring her lands and ridding the foul stench of human beings off of it

Lord Lucien
Don't know what she's waiting for. A little axis shift should solve her problems.

Moscow
wink She might need a little help

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.