Top 10 WTF Moments in Comics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/comics/article/top-10-wtf-moments-in-comics-99117/1

Kazenji
Also post more of some that you've seen.

Galan007
Apollo and Midnighter getting married was a bit..... Icky. ermmnone

H. S. 6
As a Spider-Man fan, Brand New Day and Sins of the Past come to mind.

Also, Ultimates 3. All of it.

JakeTheBank
The arrival of Rulk to the Marvel Universe was a giant WTF moment.

Blanket
When Invisible Man got raped to death.

Warmed the cockles of my heart

Omega Vision
Certainly not deserving of a Top 5 position but still a WTF moment IMO, Batman and Superman being so pig-headed toward Wonder Woman killing Maxwell Lord even though any sensible person would have done the same exact thing in her position. I'm not saying she shouldn't have been called out on it, but they were way too harsh about the whole ordeal.

Alpha Centauri
Reading the Nation X mini-series.

What I thought would be a cool little off-shoot to Dark Reign along the lines of Utopia, was actually just the biggest mish-mash of shit I've read.

-AC

Omega Vision
It could be argued that Dark Reign in its entirety is a WTF moment for Marvel Earth. Norman Osbourne kills the Skrull Queen and that qualifies him for the second most powerful (or in practical terms THE most powerful) position of political power on Earth?

Badabing
Frankencastle. facepalm

Any time Batman or Hulk lost a fight. uhuh

Starscream M
Originally posted by Galan007
Apollo and Midnighter getting married was a bit..... Icky. ermmnone dood, bigotry is so 90s...

Starscream M
Originally posted by Badabing
Frankencastle. facepalm

uhuh agreed

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Omega Vision
It could be argued that Dark Reign in its entirety is a WTF moment for Marvel Earth. Norman Osbourne kills the Skrull Queen and that qualifies him for the second most powerful (or in practical terms THE most powerful) position of political power on Earth?

You should read Gage's T-Bolts. Killing Veranke alone didn't make him new Nick Fury. He played smart with the media.

Omega Vision
Heres one: Sally Floyd telling Captain America that his brand of patriotism, you know the kind that emphasizes honor, justice, commitment to the Constitution, and all that crazy stuff is outdated and how America cares more about MySpace and American Idol and then, and this is the kicker, Captain America, the ultimate speech giver, not having a decent rebuttal. Not even a "shut the **** up you vapid *****!"

Was the writer seriously expecting the reader to agree with Floyd or was he performing a brilliant stealth parody of the overall crappy writing that plagued Civil War? The world will never know. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Badabing
Originally posted by Galan007
Apollo and Midnighter getting married was a bit..... Icky. ermmnone Peter walking in on his Aunt May engaging in sexual congress with J. Jonah Jameson's dad. sick

Galan007
Peter walking in on his Aunt May engaging in sexual congress with J. Jonah Jameson's dad. sick g_twitch

kgkg
Doom crying at the 9/11 incident was quite hilarious really. laughing out loud

Omega Vision
Originally posted by kgkg
Doom crying at the 9/11 incident was quite hilarious really. laughing out loud
I was a little more infuriated than amused tbh. But I see your point, way too melodramatic.

kgkg
I was a little more infuriated than amused tbh. But I see your point, way too melodramatic. I was thinking Marvel was trying to capitalize on the whole 9/11 by showing on sensitive the event was.

But using a Notorious dictator and crying for innocent lives just cracked me up.

I would also be annoyed but the whole issue seem more like propaganda to me.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by kgkg
I was thinking Marvel was trying to capitalize on the whole 9/11 by showing on sensitive the event was.

But using a Notorious dictator and crying for innocent lives just cracked me up.

I would also be annoyed but the whole issue seem more like propaganda to me.
To a lesser extent Magneto's part in the comic was also stupid. Unless a good portion of the WTC's population was made up of mutants I can't see him caring much. After all on one occasion he actually thought of sending all humans to death camps and in Marvel Zombies his alternate self actually spread the Zombie virus in the hopes it would destroy the human race and allow Mutants to inherit the Earth.

Endless Mike
The stupidest part was that it could have even happened in Marvel when there were about 10 million guys that could have stopped it easily.

Blanket
Doom could have just went back in time and gave them a stern 'No' when they were planning the attack.

Doctor-Alvis
I was pretty taken aback by Black Panther having magic frogs as part of his arsenal. I don't read Black Panther so I sat there for a little while and had a "three seashells" moment.

Starscream M
To a lesser extent Magneto's part in the comic was also stupid. Unless a good portion of the WTC's population was made up of mutants I can't see him caring much. After all on one occasion he actually thought of sending all humans to death camps and in Marvel Zombies his alternate self actually spread the Zombie virus in the hopes it would destroy the human race and allow Mutants to inherit the Earth. Magneto's hatred for homo sapiens is surpassed only by his hatred for Al Quaeda no expression

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by Kazenji
http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/comics/article/top-10-wtf-moments-in-comics-99117/1

The entire Batman R.I.P. is one big WTF.

SamZED
# 100 Frankencastle
# 99 Aunt May getting married to Doc Ock.
# 98 Gwen having sex with Osborn
# 2 Doom crying

# 1 BND

-Pr-
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
I was pretty taken aback by Black Panther having magic frogs as part of his arsenal. I don't read Black Panther so I sat there for a little while and had a "three seashells" moment.

i laughed.

Badabing
I was pretty taken aback by Black Panther having magic frogs as part of his arsenal. I don't read Black Panther so I sat there for a little while and had a "three seashells" moment. Three seashells...laughing out loud

Alpha Centauri
Heres one: Sally Floyd telling Captain America that his brand of patriotism, you know the kind that emphasizes honor, justice, commitment to the Constitution, and all that crazy stuff is outdated and how America cares more about MySpace and American Idol and then, and this is the kicker, Captain America, the ultimate speech giver, not having a decent rebuttal. Not even a "shut the **** up you vapid *****!"

Was the writer seriously expecting the reader to agree with Floyd or was he performing a brilliant stealth parody of the overall crappy writing that plagued Civil War? The world will never know. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Considering she was bang-on and patriotism is stupid, I'd have to disagree. Patriotism is outdated, the world isn't at war anymore. You will never have to defend your land against foreign invaders, you never had a hand in making your country what it is. There's no reason FOR you or anyone to be patriotic.

Captain America's whole thing is that he's the product of a bygone era, Steve at least. He believes in an America that has never existed, and will never exist. America will never be the things he defends it as. It's far from the racially tolerant, honourable, defendable country he paints it as. Same with any country, because people are simply too diverse.

She was right to say what she did.

There's nothing to fight for and nothing to defend, so that's why nobody cares. The only people who do are the people who "support the troops.", despite everything that's happened.

-AC

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Considering she was bang-on and patriotism is stupid, I'd have to disagree. Patriotism is outdated, the world isn't at war anymore. You will never have to defend your land against foreign invaders, you never had a hand in making your country what it is. There's no reason FOR you or anyone to be patriotic.

Captain America's whole thing is that he's the product of a bygone era, Steve at least. He believes in an America that has never existed, and will never exist. America will never be the things he defends it as. It's far from the racially tolerant, honourable, defendable country he paints it as. Same with any country, because people are simply too diverse.

She was right to say what she did.

There's nothing to fight for and nothing to defend, so that's why nobody cares. The only people who do are the people who "support the troops.", despite everything that's happened.

-AC
Cap isn't all about Gung-Ho flag-on-your-shield Patriotism, he's also about believing in higher ideals than the crass, materialist nonsense Sally Floyd represents. Where did I say that everyone should be a steak-eating, gun-toting, go-to-Church-three-days-a-week, flag waving Patriot? That's not what Patriotism is to me and it isn't what Cap stands for. Captain America and his core values (selflessness, honesty, justice, and defense of civil liberties) are timeless and for Sally Floyd to badger him about not keeping up with current (and almost certainly ephemeral) cultural trends is an example of a myopic, soulless world-view.

roughrider

No, she was just making a point that Cap was defending an idealized America that doesn't exist, and was being unrealsitic in his goals and could have avoided so much of the destruction if he could have recognized that. It wasn't what she believed fully - she just wanted Cap to come to grips with modern society.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by roughrider
No, she was just making a point that Cap was defending an idealized America that doesn't exist, and was being unrealsitic in his goals and could have avoided so much of the destruction if he could have recognized that. It wasn't what she believed fully - she just wanted Cap to come to grips with modern society.
Which leaves the conclusion that the writer was suggesting that all any of us care about is materialist crap and MySpace and to Hell with Captain America for thinking there's anything wrong with that or that people can maybe rise above it. erm

JakeTheBank
Cry for Justice was a series of WTF moments, including, but not limited to: Ray Palmer torturing people, Red Arrow losing an arm, and the callous death of Lian Harper.

Q99

Her grasp of modern society seems... extremely shaky, to say the least. If not outright flawed.

Saying 'myspace' and 'American idol' doesn't change that Capt was fighting for fairness and protecting people who were being attacked for putting their lives on the line to help others (and in many cases, were willing to just sit down and step aside if they were given that option- it was the pro-reg side that forced the fight after all).

Capt has always defended American's ideals, the important ones at least, but not by closing his eyes to what America's like, and heck, what a lot of the pro-reggers like Maria Hill were doing really deserved fighting (she tried to kill him for not enforcing a law that hadn't been put on the books. That's like, 6 kinds of illegal, and it would've been easy to get Capt to at least stand aside, if not at least help track down some anti-reg people, if they didn't try that). It's not like the anti-Reg heroes were causing much of the destruction so complained about either- the pro-reg had almost all of the heavy hitters and weren't circumspect about using them!

The anti-reg methods could've been done better, more PR as opposed to just hoping the truth'd out itself, but the pro-reg forces got out of control and thought they could flout the safety of others and every other rule in the book to carry out their goals. It's no wonder they created such big security holes that a crazy person could just waltz in and take over, the precedent of disregarding due process in favor of whatever's popular at the moment had been established.

roughrider
Which leaves the conclusion that the writer was suggesting that all any of us care about is materialist crap and MySpace and to Hell with Captain America for thinking there's anything wrong with that or that people can maybe rise above it. erm

Unfortunately, that's most of western society when you look at it.
She didn't think to hell with it - she wanted Cap to see he was fighting a battle he couldn't win, in the end.
They were making a deliberate parallel with 9/11 in the Stamford incident - that most of the general populace seemed to agree suspending many civil liberties was a price worthy to pay for safety. Yes it would be great if everyone could just stand up for what's right in the greater scheme of things, but Cap found by the end that the populace wanted the opposite, and it saddened him.
Of course, they found the downside of it pretty soon after, just as we found out how draconian things got in the post 9/11 world.

Q99

That's one way of looking at it. There are others.

She has a very odd and dumb way of saying it.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Q99
That's one way of looking at it. There are others.

She has a very odd and dumb way of saying it.
Projecting intelligence or insight onto a moron simply because you might agree with her views is all kinds of wrong.

I just saw an unsophisticated airhead with a pretty face who tried to act like a real reporter by berating an American hero with retarded criticisms of his lack of memetic awareness.

I personally prefer this fan-made rehash of the page over the original comic:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s102/Linkara/AT4W/Capsright.jpg

BUSTER1
Projecting intelligence or insight onto a moron simply because you might agree with her views is all kinds of wrong.

I just saw an unsophisticated airhead with a pretty face who tried to act like a real reporter by berating an American hero with retarded criticisms of his lack of memetic awareness.

thumb up That was a quality link

Endless Mike
She didn't think to hell with it - she wanted Cap to see he was fighting a battle he couldn't win, in the end.
They were making a deliberate parallel with 9/11 in the Stamford incident - that most of the general populace seemed to agree suspending many civil liberties was a price worthy to pay for safety. Yes it would be great if everyone could just stand up for what's right in the greater scheme of things, but Cap found by the end that the populace wanted the opposite, and it saddened him.
Of course, they found the downside of it pretty soon after, just as we found out how draconian things got in the post 9/11 world.

I actually live very close to where the Stamford event happened in Marvel (well, I obviously live in the real world, not Marvel - you know what I mean).

roughrider

Don't forget to mention she visited Tony Stark and gave him a different kind of hell, sarcastically applauding him for his sneaky tactics (involving Norman Osborn) that manipulated opinion over to his side - basically saying "Hey, you lied for the greater good as you saw it. Aren't you happy now?" Stark was angry & ashamed at having it shoved in his face like that.

steverules_2

http://www.i-mockery.com/shorts/three-seashells/i-mockery-three-seashells.gif

Deadline
edit.

hahaha

H. S. 6

Amen. thumb up

Allankles

thumb up It's stuff like this that make you wonder why civil wars premise didn't have more common sense.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Allankles
thumb up It's stuff like this that make you wonder why civil wars premise didn't have more common sense.
I think it was a problem of a lack of good faith between Pro Reg and Anti Reg writers. Everyone got their own personal politics involved and rather than portraying both sides as rational people with valid arguments who were unfortunately forced into a no-win situation where violence was the only way it could end they ended up mercilessly strawmanning everyone, with the Pro Regs like Reed Richards and Stark getting the worst of it.

roughrider
I think it was a problem of a lack of good faith between Pro Reg and Anti Reg writers. Everyone got their own personal politics involved and rather than portraying both sides as rational people with valid arguments who were unfortunately forced into a no-win situation where violence was the only way it could end they ended up mercilessly strawmanning everyone, with the Pro Regs like Reed Richards and Stark getting the worst of it.

Well, that's what tends to happen when you deal with a controversial subject matter, whether it's a real government policy of a work of art - people get divided, and polarized. Otherwise, it wouldn't be controversial, would it?
Honourable compromise rarely happens when it comes to relations between nations or different political parties. Look how many problems are going on in the world, because people won't compromise in the name of peace.

Doctor-Alvis
Originally posted by steverules_2
http://www.i-mockery.com/shorts/three-seashells/i-mockery-three-seashells.gif
What about those messy ones?!

Omega Vision
Well, that's what tends to happen when you deal with a controversial subject matter, whether it's a real government policy of a work of art - people get divided, and polarized. Otherwise, it wouldn't be controversial, would it?
Honourable compromise rarely happens when it comes to relations between nations or different political parties. Look how many problems are going on in the world, because people won't compromise in the name of peace.
I think you miss my point. It can be controversial without having to strawman the opposing side to make your side seem better in comparison.

steverules_2

You get to figure that one out for yourself

batdude123
Any time Batman lost a fight.

Well that's never happened, so...

roughrider
Originally posted by batdude123
Well that's never happened, so...

Karate Kid - Countdown.
Batman was bitter. wink

batdude123
Thanks. It's not like I was joking at all...

Galan007
Smilies or it never happened. uhuh

willRules

Oysters, for deeper scoopage.

colossulrage
when angel took all of husks clothes off and had sex with her while her mom and famil watch.......or just the whole chuck austen run on any comic EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

basilisk
Wolverine apparently eating chunks of himself to avoid starvation and stay alive.

Warlord
Originally posted by basilisk
Wolverine apparently eating chunks of himself to avoid starvation and stay alive.

eek!

Kazenji
When was that ?

basilisk
Originally posted by Kazenji
When was that ?

He was trapped in an avalanche or buried alive or something. I think I saw some issue reference once but haven't tracked it down. It's been mentioned on KMC numerous times though so maybe someone can help locate it.

Juk3n
When Red Skull dropped the baby.. nothing in comics will ever grab me emotionally like that again.

Bouboumaster
http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/dan/husbands/parker3.jpg

StiltmanFTW
Even some hardcore Spider-Man fans hate him now because of OMD smile

Mephitsto owned him so bad... big grin

Juk3n
No way, the WRITERS owned him so bad, lol, 'how to ruin a character in one story arc'.

peejayd
Originally posted by Deadline
edit.

hahaha

* this is the biggest speech balloon i've ever seen! laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.