Leo's Tourney Odds Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Digi
Teams thus far (alphabetical):

bw--
judomaster - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judomaster
victor mancha - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Mancha
noh-varr - http://marvel.com/universe/Marvel_Boy_(Noh-Varr)

cdb--
m - http://uncannyxmen.net/db/spotlight/showquestion.asp?faq=10&fldAuto=133
charcoal - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal_(comics)
black canary - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Canary

digi--
iron spidey - http://marvel.wikia.com/Iron_Spider_Armor
capt boomerang jr - http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/boomerang2.html
moonknight - http://marvel.com/universe/Moon_Knight

gundam--
mysterio
jonas harrow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Harrow
punisher

omega--
deathstroke - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathstroke
cage - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Cage
mr terrific

smurph--
cyclops - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclops_(comics)
ironfist - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Fist_(comics)
logan

POOL A:

1. smurph
2. cdb
3. omega

POOL B:

1. bw
2. digi
3. gundam

Schedule:

week 1: 1 vs 3 (both pools always)
week 2: 2 vs 3
week 3: 1 vs 2

week 4: 1 vs 2 x-overs
week 5: finals

8 posts/competitor. opening post will NOT count as a post UNLESS it exceeds a single post in length.

battlefield for week 1--both pools same battlefield:

post-apocalyptic new york city--city is partially overgrown with wildlife and most of the city is in ruins. no life besides plant-life anywhere in the area.

prep area=unbreakable, opaque domes in what is left of central park. start 1km apart, 10secs prep.

Judges:

delph, galan, jake, jlking, bada, kfish, pr, eny, guy22, whitewitch, blanket, KM, bats, kandy

That's the most recent team and participant list. I'll probably update this post as things progress.

Original Smurph
Meh, lots of competitors comment in depth traditionally, don't they? Just never on themselves.

Omega Vision
I'm betting on my opponents. I'm super-serious here, no chance I'm planning on taking a dive or anything sneaky like that. ermm

Digi
Originally posted by Original Smurph
Meh, lots of competitors comment in depth traditionally, don't they? Just never on themselves.

Well yeah, but you knew what I meant. But, in the spirit of getting things started:

I can't make sense of gundam's team, and Blair is still sitting with one pick. I considered Judomaster myself but didn't want to use a pick for just her one power, though it's obviously a very useful one. But I figured she would be selected.

Charlotte's "M" could be the best single pick in the drafts, but I'm not a huge fan of what she surrounded M with. And I like your team. Solid, not terribly flashy, but Wolverine is the f-ing man. I considered him heavily too.

I don't want to say who I expected to get drafted that didn't, because I don't want to give Blair ideas. But with only 6 competitors, there's going to be plenty of talent that goes undrafted.

I'm obviously pleased with my own team, my only regret is that I had to choose between the 3 I have and the 1 other I was seriously considering. I honestly hadn't decided which 3 of the 4 I'd be drafting until moments before my round 1 draft.

Original Smurph
the other pool:

Digi- Currently has the best odds for his pool, imo. The Capt. Boomerang pick came out from left field, but the other two were strong picks that I would have considered myself, with a versatile skills, powers and equipment list that are all at the top of the tier, and that all pose significant problems for many low meta teams.

Blair- Draft already plz. Although Judomaster in and of herself is solid, and already provides a decent defense to Digi.

Pee Gee- I want to see what the combination is that he's trying to pull off in his 10 seconds of prep. I feel like each of his drafts are strong prep characters, but the idea of putting them together in a run-and-gun set up like this is perplexing.

Digi
Pee Gee

Not ranking B-Dub since he has a third of a team...

Digi
Aye, I want to see what PG is thinking too. I hope he and Blair fight first, so that I can figure things out while they duke it out.

The group opposite me has all 3 people with tourney experience (Omega slightly less than the other two). Charcoal and Cage seem kinda one-dimensional to me, so I'm not the hugest fan. But I also like the others on their team (particularly M and Mr. Terrific, even sans prep), so it's kind of a wash. Smurph's a good debator with a solid team. I think that the group is his to lose at the moment, pending some strategy/tandem from the others that I'm not seeing, which is certainly possible.

Battles change everyone's opinion, so this is clearly very speculative, but at the moment:
Smurph
Charlotte
Omega

Omega Vision
^If I might paraphrase a certain New God, you guys have only faced the idea of Omega Vision before now. biscuits

stick out tongue

leonidas
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Sorry this took me so long. But I have to say, thanks Digi. I think I ended up the better for it smile

Judomaster -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judomaster

Victor Mancha -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Mancha

Noh-Varr -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noh-Varr

leonidas
some interesting teams. love the mysterio pick, cap boomerang and i'm glad someone drafted slade. always liked him a lot.

should be a fun tourney. can't wait to see what happens. smile

Omega Vision
Originally posted by leonidas
some interesting teams. love the mysterio pick, cap boomerang and i'm glad someone drafted slade. always liked him a lot.

should be a fun tourney. can't wait to see what happens. smile
For me it was either Deathstroke, Midnighter, or Azrael and I know DS best of the three of them. Plus he's the coolest.

Original Smurph
Blair's picks mesh better mentally for me than do Digi's or Pee Gee's, and Victor was a pretty nifty pick, given his opponent's power sets and equipment. I think I give him the best odds in the pool right now... I think... also, I like Noh Varr as a pick, because he's awesome. Maybe I'm a little biased.

Starscream M
this is an interesting tourney and I'm terribly puzzled at some of the picks...

smurph got logan and cyclops??!! one guy who is basically unkillable even by heralds and another who can clear the battle field in one thought....wow talk about firepower. (maybe I missed some rules that would neuter his team though)

and then someone picks punisher?!! I'm very curious as to how punisher will perform....he seems out of his league in a tourney but thats why I would be interested.

My prediction right now...Smurph takes it.

Charlotte DeBel
Cage is your typical "brick for amalgam", Charcoal is a little better (at least he has more uses and is not a grounded sitting duck).

Smurph's team is perfect for shooting said sitting ducks down (depending on whether it's one-man pwner of amalgam or tag squad)smile Enough to give him good odds over Omega in the first opening matchsmile

Starscream M
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel

Smurph's team is perfect for shooting said sitting ducks down (depending on whether it's one-man pwner of amalgam or tag squad)smile Enough to give him good odds over Omega in the first opening matchsmile its enough to give him odds over any team

Digi
Blair's picks mesh better mentally for me than do Digi's or Pee Gee's, and Victor was a pretty nifty pick, given his opponent's power sets and equipment. I think I give him the best odds in the pool right now... I think... also, I like Noh Varr as a pick, because he's awesome. Maybe I'm a little biased.

Noh was actually someone I nearly picked. Knowing that I really could've stymied Blair between him and Moon Knight makes me want to go back and pick him...not because I think I'd have a better team, but because of the hilarity.

Originally posted by Starscream M
its enough to give him odds over any team

Smurph's nuts may need a towel after your treatment. Chill for a bit and wait for battles. 90% of what people think going into battles is changed after the first round.

Blair Wind
Originally posted by Digi
Noh was actually someone I nearly picked. Knowing that I really could've stymied Blair between him and Moon Knight makes me want to go back and pick him...not because I think I'd have a better team, but because of the hilarity.

uhuh

Anyway, we all have teams now. Anyone else with odds?

Starscream M

Smurph's nuts may need a towel after your treatment. Chill for a bit and wait for battles. 90% of what people think going into battles is changed after the first round. what do you mean chill?

this is an odds thread and I'm giving my odds. I'm betting that smurph's team will steamroll over any and all competition. mark my words.

Starscream M
uhuh

Anyway, we all have teams now. Anyone else with odds? what's your team?

I'll give you odds for who gets runnerup.

Digi
what do you mean chill?

this is an odds thread and I'm giving my odds. I'm betting that smurph's team will steamroll over any and all competition. mark my words.

Just that you need to keep a sense of perspective. You're acting like I'm debating you. One can make predictions without your needless, if amusing, verbal theatrics.

Starscream M
One can make predictions without your needless, if amusing, verbal theatrics. oh, ok.

Smurph 10/10.

Original Smurph
crylaugh

Omega Vision
IMO Gundam's team presents the greatest chance of a Wildcard strategy/approach. But that may be because I know so little about anyone in his team except for Punisher, and even there my knowledge is spotty.

leonidas
crylaugh

seems you have a fan . . . laughing out loud

Digi
The OP is updated to include all team lists, character links, and match schedule, as well as judges.

Starscream M
I'm reassessing my prediction in light of learning of blair's team...which presents a challenge imo to smurph's team in particular.

Digi
Starscream, since you've taken such an interest, it might interest you to know that after our group round robins, we get to re-draft. So some teams will be different going into the semis and finals. As such, predictions on group winners are easier to make, but overall winners are anyone's guess, because teams could feasibly change wildly before it's over.

Sorry to be mildly patronizing earlier, btw...I actually thought you were spam-joking with all the Smurph-wankage. But it's nice to see outside interest.

"Id"
I would not mind giving odds, but I feel to damn ignorant to do so considering I have not even taken a peek at the rules/restrictions.

leonidas
Originally posted by "Id"
I would not mind giving odds, but I feel to damn ignorant to do so considering I have not even taken a peek at the rules/restrictions.

that never kept you from posting odds--or even participating--in the past . . .

heh

Starscream M
Starscream, since you've taken such an interest, it might interest you to know that after our group round robins, we get to re-draft. that's a good point, duly noted.

btw, I'm not wanking smurph...all the debators in this tourney are very capable. I just thought his team was stronger than the others....but I added the caveat that I based it only on my limited knowledge. I know how much creativity debators can bring and often turn rather mundane characters (ie punisher) into much more, although the rules of this tourney seems to allow for only a pretty basic changes due to very limited prep time.

It will be interesting to see how everything unfolds.

Charlotte DeBel
The rules of this tourney "seem" to allow amalgams, thus the individual characters matter little as everything can be negated via good teamworksmile

"Id"
that never kept you from posting odds--or even participating--in the past . . .

heh Careful you might force the Demon of Elru out of early tournament retirement. uhuh

Original Smurph
Id, post odds

Digi
Omega did about 1000x better in his OP than in his last tourney. Weren't you the one who one-hit-killed yourself with your prep strategy in the last one?

stick out tongue

Anyway, kudos. Despite a little unfamiliarity with the process, it's impossible to know you're new from your writeup, which is solid.

In other news, the scans I dug up to counter Mysterio's illusions are now worthless. The early bird....gets shafted occasionally.

embarrasment

Omega Vision
Omega did about 1000x better in his OP than in his last tourney. Weren't you the one who one-hit-killed yourself with your prep strategy in the last one?

stick out tongue

Anyway, kudos. Despite a little unfamiliarity with the process, it's impossible to know you're new from your writeup, which is solid.
I would shift blame by saying that JLX came up with that strat for the most part but then its still on my head for not putting more effort into double-checking his strat before okaying it. embarrasment

leonidas
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I would shift blame by saying that JLX came up with that strat for the most part but then its still on my head for not putting more effort into double-checking his strat before okaying it. embarrasment

how you think WE'D have done if galan didn't constantly repair all my write-ups!?

s'why i picked galan--i knew i could be lazy and do nothing. big grin

Digi
I like that Cage and Iron Fist are meeting in the first match. I like to imagine comic-style interplay between the characters/amalgams. It makes potential matchups so much more entertaining.

happy

...and also disturbing, since, for example, Wolverine and Cyclops presumably have knowledge of the fact that they're now sharing a body. If I were Omega, I'd argue that Smurph's amalgam isn't logically consistent based on that alone.

ermm

Omega Vision
I like that Cage and Iron Fist are meeting in the first match. I like to imagine comic-style interplay between the characters/amalgams. It makes potential matchups so much more entertaining.

happy

...and also disturbing, since, for example, Wolverine and Cyclops presumably have knowledge of the fact that they're now sharing a body. If I were Omega, I'd argue that Smurph's amalgam isn't logically consistent based on that alone.

ermm
T-Sphere makes a hologram of Jean Gray ftw. wink

Digi
T-Sphere makes a hologram of Jean Gray ftw. wink

Holy...

Smurph is screwed. OHK's are allowed in this sh*t.

Omega Vision
Holy...

Smurph is screwed. OHK's are allowed in this sh*t.

If Smurph pushes me I won't be afraid to do it.

evil face

Digi
I'm not sure "basic knowledge" includes a knowledge of their crippling relationship tension with Jean. You might be out of luck.

Omega Vision
I'm not sure "basic knowledge" includes a knowledge of their crippling relationship tension with Jean. You might be out of luck.
True. Luke Cage might know about it though.

Charlotte DeBel
True. Luke Cage might know about it though.

Especially considering the fact that Cage and Logan are teammates. In terms of common knowledge Marvel-only team of Smurph is screwed since psychological warfare is avaliablesmile

Omega Vision
Especially considering the fact that Cage and Logan are teammates. In terms of common knowledge Marvel-only team of Smurph is screwed since psychological warfare is avaliablesmile
Nobody ****s apart your psyche better than Slade Wilson peaches

Digi
Especially considering the fact that Cage and Logan are teammates.

Which means nothing for this. The chances of someone outside old-school X-Men knowing anything about the trio's woes are slim to none. For example, does Ms. Marvel know about Spider-Man's on-and-off relationship with Black Cat? They're teammates too.

Omega Vision
Which means nothing for this. The chances of someone outside old-school X-Men knowing anything about the trio's woes are slim to none. For example, does Ms. Marvel know about Spider-Man's on-and-off relationship with Black Cat? They're teammates too.
Heh I can just see Ms Marvel chilling while Spidey walks past (and without prompting) says "I once banged Black Cat."

Charlotte DeBel

Cyclops+Jean is general knowledge, though...and can be useful in "you dirty whorebanger" way. Anyways, that's joking.
And Digi, I doubt Ms Marvel knows WHO Black Cat is... while Jean Grey is far from D-lister and Wolvie has more than once made public comments on Scott's sexual life.

The thing that worries me is that is the set cap on characters' movement speed (Mach 1) but no set cap on the movement speed of standart equipment (T-Spheres reaching Mach 7 at least). I want to hear Leo's ruling on thatsmile

leonidas
all gear is also capped at mach 1.

Original Smurph
Meh. After the amount of times that Logan and Scott have fought Jean, and the amount of times they've been mindf*cked with regards to that issue, if anybody actually thinks that would do anything other than make Logan madder, they're free to attempt to argue so in-battle.

Omega Vision
all gear is also capped at mach 1.
Damn. Still I can work with that.

"Id"
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5219/goon.jpg

"Id"

psycho gundam
Blair's false confidence is pep enough

flirt

"Id"

leonidas
laughing out loud

nice. we should make a series of pokemon-equivalent cards so we can play the home game with our real life friends. big grin

could just see id's summation of ME.

DICKERY. no expression

laughing out loud

good job id. these kinds of things are always interesting and add a little something extra. thumb up

psycho gundam
dibs on weezing (the gas covered shitcluster ?)

"Id"
If I had any kind of Photoshopping skills, I would make pokemon bios (forget the cards) with the appropriate pokemon.

Anyhow, last time I made boxing references. This time, its MMA. Welter-Middle Weight class.

Blair Wind
Alexander Silvia

Charlotte DeBel
BJ Penn

Digi
Silva_ Anderson_

psycho gundam
Gegard Mousasi

Omega Vision
Dan Hardy

Original Smurph
Silva_ Wanderlei_

Digi
Not too familiar with MMA or welters. Boxing Middleweights next time plox??

wink

...I'd argue with my "weakness." The most outlandish and obscure picks have been shown to be the earliest outs in most tourneys. The Surfers, Thors, Iron Mans, etc. of the world have historic success. And I've had equal success/failure with everyone from Space Phantom to Spidey, and used something like 22 different characters in delph's tourney (in addition to the dozen or so more over the course of tourney history), including a few none had ever heard about when they were selected. I also fail to see how MK and Boomerang display less knowledge than, say, Smurph's team...all of whom are A-list in terms of notoriety. But I don't consider that a knock on Smurph, because I disagree with the premise that familiarity with characters breeds failure.

Kudos to Id for the odds, btw. Disagreeing with some of it doesn't mean it's not a lot of fun.

"Id"
Dear Digi:

Your entitled to you opinion however obscure, or wrong it may be. Its your constitutional e-right.

Sincerely http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/9948/wolverine2md7.gif

Digi
Dear Digi:

Your entitled to you opinion however obscure, or wrong it may be. Its your constitutional e-right.

Sincerely http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/9948/wolverine2md7.gif

laughing out loud

That sentiment just seems to follow me around, that I'm a clear debater but lack comprehensive comic knowledge. This isn't the first I've encountered it. I added it up recently, and it's 38 different characters I've used in tourneys (including this current one) not counting repeats (in which case it's a few more), and have researched and defeated countless more. I also closely follow every tourney ever, even if I'm not in it. At this point, there's very little I haven't seen. The facts seems to contradict the opinion, but it's not something I seem to be able to shake. I picked Spidey, for example, not because I didn't have other choices (I had at least a dozen potentials, if memory serves) but because I felt he gives me the best chance to win.

Kinda like the stigma that follows Blair around, that he exploits loopholes and wins most of his matches in prep, not by debates. I've faced Blair numerous times, I know that's wrong. But it's been his MO for quite a while. Or leo's sitgma of being a dick (totally true in that case, though). And I'm sure I could win a tournament with Paste Pot Pete, Cue Ball, and Rhino, and I'd still be typecast as the same thing.

So yes, I've lost late in tourneys. But, as it's often by one vote, with different partner(s), against varying opponents, with varying judges, and with countless other variables, I doubt there's any one thing that can be pointed to as the reason for it. It's a combination of reasons, and is highly situation specific.

leonidas
Or leo's sitgma of being a dick (totally true in that case, though).

sad

King Kandy
I've never found Leo to be that bad, but I have to say I am not a fan of people being really rude or belittling in matches. I'd never consciously judge based on that of course, but someone who relies on insults probably will end seeming less impressive to me.

BTW, im glad i'm judging Smurph/OV instead of Psycho/BW, mine is way easier... not because it's one sided but just because both sides are using way more basic tactics.

Digi
Originally posted by King Kandy
I've never found Leo to be that bad, but I have to say I am not a fan of people being really rude or belittling in matches. I'd never consciously judge based on that of course, but someone who relies on insults probably will end seeming less impressive to me.

BTW, im glad i'm judging Smurph/OV instead of Psycho/BW, mine is way easier... not because it's one sided but just because both sides are using way more basic tactics.

'twas joking about leo. He's a good guy. I dislike insults in matches too. I'm not so saintly that I can claim to have never used them, but I try to avoid them at all times.

leonidas
i'm not so thin-skinned to take what you said to heart digi. i know you dig me. big grin

my 'style' really changes match to match, depending on who i'm facing. at times i can come across as rather an ass (not that anyone notices . . . heh) but it depends on what the match is like, the perceived level of threat, the rapport with my opponent, etc . . .

i wish i'd have been in THIS tourney. i like the participants and i like the level.

"Id"
@Digi - Next time I will add, extreme level of stubbornness to your bio. uhuh

Digi
Screw this level. My favorite is honestly high meta. That's where I have my best knowledge base.

I do, however, want to make a Sub-Skyfather tourney where we only draft 2 and have no prep. But it would still be insane, with the likes of Classic Strange destroying dimensions along with Thanos and sh*t. And ALL potential loopholes would be legal. I have a feeling that would be my favorite tourney ever. Alas, I couldn't both host and participate.

@Digi - Next time I will add, extreme level of stubbornness to your bio. uhuh

fdog

I'll take that as a "conceded."

Original Smurph
On the notes of style, meh. Sometimes my posts are a tad more caustic than others, usually varying based on how incredulous my opponents prep' leaves me, how rude they are being, or (unintentionally) probably what's at stake, tourney-wise. I've heard pros and cons about this approach, but it usually lets me establish a rhythm that I use to organize my points.

As for this level, I find that I usually like it a lot more than I think that I will. It's a solid break from having to stretch believability or my mind- often the simplest strategies are the best ones, and there are far less loopholes and rule smudges than other levels. There are way more feats available to back up most points because we're not usually relying on one-time abilities or powersets that are way too versatile, and amalgamation doesn't usually involve some weird chemistry mix that causes two low characters to become Superman lite. I feel like it's a better test of debating skill too, as characters are a lot closer in power across the board (for the most part).

I dunno. Just a simpler feel.

My favorite level is probably low herald though, or that gray low herald/high meta mix.

EDIT: Upon re-reading that, I said "usually" way too often. Whatevs.

Digi
I agree Smurph. This level is good for all those reasons. The only reason I prefer high meta is because I personally can be much more versatile in my drafts and approaches because I know comparatively a lot more about that level than most others, though I'm comfortable at any level. But where I only had maybe 6-7 picks at this level that I seriously considered, my team in delph's high meta tourney was a revolving door because I literally had so much I wanted to try out.

Herald's just a mess. Just an unholy mess. Too much going on.

"Id"
i'm not so thin-skinned to take what you said to heart digi. i know you dig me. big grin

my 'style' really changes match to match, depending on who i'm facing. at times i can come across as rather an ass (not that anyone notices . . . heh) but it depends on what the match is like, the perceived level of threat, the rapport with my opponent, etc . . .

i wish i'd have been in THIS tourney. i like the participants and i like the level.

http://imgur.com/JX5mk.jpg

King Kandy
Screw this level. My favorite is honestly high meta. That's where I have my best knowledge base.

I do, however, want to make a Sub-Skyfather tourney where we only draft 2 and have no prep. But it would still be insane, with the likes of Classic Strange destroying dimensions along with Thanos and sh*t. And ALL potential loopholes would be legal. I have a feeling that would be my favorite tourney ever. Alas, I couldn't both host and participate.

Remember the under thanos tourney? That had some awesome matches and was the worst tourney ever in terms of overblown preps. Though the mixed genre tourney that was low meta but had a match where I dropped planet-destroying asteroids on a team wielding herald+ plasma vortexes came close.

My favorite is actually high herald, I had a blast in evangel's high herald malgam tourney (though I seem to be the only one who felt that way).

Charlotte DeBel
Remember the under thanos tourney? That had some awesome matches and was the worst tourney ever in terms of overblown preps. Though the mixed genre tourney that was low meta but had a match where I dropped planet-destroying asteroids on a team wielding herald+ plasma vortexes came close.

My favorite is actually high herald, I had a blast in evangel's high herald malgam tourney (though I seem to be the only one who felt that way).

Asteroids were planet-destroying, the vortexes weren't actually herald+ as we've proven ad nauseum.

There was not the fact of insane prep (though we've actually performed nice for no-bat-style-prep-team) but loopholish prep locations (aka "let's grab Staff of One in the tourney where magic practicioners are banned"wink and interactive battlefields (which while creative were winner-deciding factor as whoever ran to the biggest gun first could OHK the opposing team).

Charlotte DeBel

fdog

I'll take that as a "conceded."

I'm also comfortable at meta level though some of my favourites (Engineer for example) are low heralds.
Mid-high heralds is outlandish mess and any tourney on that level should be no prep onesmile

Digi

Worst tourney for prep? Obviously you missed leo and Smurph's title match a while back. There was like 9 to a team and they both had (alleged) universal-level attacks or some nonsense. I think it was low herald level.

The under Thanos was fairly ridiculous though, so no major arguments with that point. Mine and Scoob's was just as guilty as anyone's, although giving Thor the Uni-Power was hella-fun.

"Id"
I can exploit Meta/Ironman class tournament, to attain Skyfather class abilities. biscuits

Digi
I can exploit Meta/Ironman class tournament, to attain Skyfather class abilities. biscuits

Indeed. A lot of people can, given prep. Reed Richards + a technomorph, for a ridiculously easy example. Prep is dangerous at any level, and proper use of it can catapult people well into, and often beyond, several higher tiers. Which is why whoever sells their particular prep snake oil the best in meta+ tourneys usually ends up the winner.

Original Smurph
Worst tourney for prep? Obviously you missed leo and Smurph's title match a while back. There was like 9 to a team and they both had (alleged) universal-level attacks or some nonsense. I think it was low herald level. I recreated Solar, Man of the Atom dammit!

Haha, yeah. Newjak gave us something like a few years of prep? I forget.

Digi
I recreated Solar, Man of the Atom dammit!

Haha, yeah. Newjak gave us something like a few years of prep? I forget.

That was literally the only important tourney match I never followed through on reading. My brain started to hurt too bad. Thank goodness I wasn't judging.

psycho gundam
Indeed. A lot of people can, given prep. Reed Richards + a technomorph, for a ridiculously easy example. Prep is dangerous at any level, and proper use of it can catapult people well into, and often beyond, several higher tiers. Which is why whoever sells their particular prep snake oil the best in meta+ tourneys usually ends up the winner. leo and I created (ultimate) cosmic cubes for our whole team.

/topic

Digi
Originally posted by psycho gundam
leo and I created (ultimate) cosmic cubes for our whole team.

/topic

...a ploy he stole from me in the Evangel tourney I got DQ'd from, but I digress.

ahah

leonidas
...a ploy he stole from me in the Evangel tourney I got DQ'd from, but I digress.

ahah

laughing out loud

i never even READ that match, though i do believe the original idea WAS yours so all credit to digi. big grin

i personally never enjoy prep, though i take advantage of it when it's given. one thing i'd really enjoy would be a BZ or tourney where everyone was free to choose any character (of whatever level is assigned) even those taken by others already.

ie--everyone could have ss or thor on their team. i think it would be sweet--a great way to judge who debated best as there is no excuse that he/she had a better character. i ALMOST did that for this tourney. maybe the next one.

i think a BZ would be fun if both used the same character. PR vs PHIL for instance, and BOTH have superman for title of ultimate superman fanboy. laughing out loud

psycho gundam
but that would mean that superman would have to lose for one of them to win, supes fanboys (especially ultimate ones) would never allow that to happen. biscuits

leonidas
i love paradoxes. no expression

Original Smurph
Wouldn't that require some element of prep though? As otherwise they'd be equal? Or maybe the difference would come in opening battle strategies...

leonidas
Or maybe the difference would come in opening battle strategies...

that's what i was thinking . . . .

Digi
I actually wanted to try a similar idea a long time ago: it would be a series of interconnected Battlezones, but each match would be determined entirely by the two people entering it. So, for example, Smurph and leo would agree to rules and conditions, find judges, etc. and maybe Jinzin and I would do the same. Then the winners would face off with their own unique match conditions. There would be no continuity between matches other than the participants themselves.

I figured that if each was a standalone thing, there would be no timetable to the "tourney" and therefore no down time. Just a lot of really fun matches.

Original Smurph
That'd be absolutely sick, no lie. Given some proper dedication, patience and whatnot- it wouldn't even need a necessary tournament structure of advancing winners and so on, just a good amount of population flow and somebody to keep record....

So basically what the Battlezone was going to be. Just with proper structure.

-----------------------------------------------------

On a separate note, I love that Digi keeps capitalizing Smurph but not leo. Clearly indicating that he did in fact read that tourney match, and knows that I should have won, but has to be subtle about it.

It's all symbolism, guys.

Digi
Or that leo's name isn't capitalized in his user name and yours is. Or maybe you're just awesome.

srug

'sides, I haven't even read your match yet other than a cursory glance at your writeups. One thing at a time, and I have PG next week and then Blair. More than enough to keep me busy.

But with my idea (which I'm glad you like, btw) I would hesitate to just "keep score" instead of eliminating people. With at least a discernible goal and end to the tournament, I think it would provide more incentive to join and complete matches in a timely manner. I would also love to see "themed" matches in it. Like Mungi with Alpha Flight members vs. Pr with X-Men members. I may still try to make it happen someday. But I'm in no hurry.

Blair Wind
In terms of tournament types, High Meta's have my vote. You can always get someone beneficial from that level all the way to low meta, which adds to the versatility.

Also, Ive always considered drafts to be my favorite part of any tournament. Im pretty sure I hate the tedious work of putting together reponses and OPs. Usually why my opening post is so long, so I dont have to bother with much else afterwards. Oh well.

If only there was some way to have just a "drafting competition." You draft a team of characters, give an overview of your general idea(s) in using them (the team) and judges vote on who had best idea, most likely to win, most creative etc etc. Shortest tournament ever!

Digi
In terms of tournament types, High Meta's have my vote. You can always get someone beneficial from that level all the way to low meta, which adds to the versatility.

thumb up

Also, Ive always considered drafts to be my favorite part of any tournament. Im pretty sure I hate the tedious work of putting together reponses and OPs. Usually why my opening post is so long, so I dont have to bother with much else afterwards. Oh well.

thumb up

If only there was some way to have just a "drafting competition." You draft a team of characters, give an overview of your general idea(s) in using them (the team) and judges vote on who had best idea, most likely to win, most creative etc etc. Shortest tournament ever!

thumb down

Blair Wind
Meh. I figured I'd be the only one for it smile

Starscream M
I have an idea of a tourney type I might host:

basically instead of having two teams face each other, I'm going to pick a set of enemies that EVERY team will attempt to take down

the judges judge based on who does a better job of taking down the enemies

there will basically be a one post tourney where every team just sends one post

we might have a elimination, so the team with least points get eliminated

then the surviving teams get their next assignment...and so on

leonidas
Digi ...... has to be subtle about it.

have you met digi . . .? confused

some cool BZ matches would be fun, whether a score is kept or not. the BZ really hasn't been used properly since it was opened. eny and smurph had a fun match, but really there have only been a couple others (PG and cdb had an entertaining match a while back as well).

be fun to get the BZ buzzing a little and get some new faces in on things.

Digi

basically instead of having two teams face each other, I'm going to pick a set of enemies that EVERY team will attempt to take down

then the surviving teams get their next assignment...and so on

Not as much fun, imo. You're not facing someone then....just indirectly. There would be less give and take between participants. I like golf, for example, but it's more satisfying to reject someone's dunk attempt.

Original Smurph
Or maybe you're just awesome. thumb upOriginally posted by Starscream M

then the surviving teams get their next assignment...and so on I dislike the "one post tourney" bit, because there still needs to be an option to disprove your opponent. Otherwise teams will just BS their way to victory, and it will come down to whoever can make their plan sound more grandiose and yet believable.

Though if you gave an option to disprove, now we'd have to disprove from the perspective of characters that you've chosen, not us, which will come down to the same idea as normal tourney matches, just more awkward and weird.

So, not for me. Originally posted by leonidas
have you met digi . . .? confused

some cool BZ matches would be fun, whether a score is kept or not. the BZ really hasn't been used properly since it was opened. eny and smurph had a fun match, but really there have only been a couple others (PG and cdb had an entertaining match a while back as well).

be fun to get the BZ buzzing a little and get some new faces in on things. Yeah. I still intend to rematch Eny at some point.

I also had a pretty good BZ match with Akuki back when he was around...

Starscream M
Not as much fun, imo. You're not facing someone then....just indirectly. There would be less give and take between participants. I like golf, for example, but it's more satisfying to reject someone's dunk attempt.

thumb up I dislike the "one post tourney" bit, because there still needs to be an option to disprove your opponent. Otherwise teams will just BS their way to victory, and it will come down to whoever can make their plan sound more grandiose and yet believable.

thanks for the feedback. I will rethink my ideas.

psycho gundam
So, not for me. Yeah. I still intend to rematch Eny at some point.

I also had a pretty good BZ match with Akuki back when he was around... ^ i propose you keep it low level, limited power sets allow more creativity and highlight initial planning.

yes, you need to get eny back for the BB/MM match.

Starscream M
^ i propose you keep it low level, limited power sets allow more creativity and highlight initial planning.
was that for me?

Digi
I'm going to have to curb the discussion at this point. It's gone on a bit too long. We have a "future tourney" thread, and should probably just be focused on the current one.

psycho gundam
was that for me? no expression

Digi
First week is over:

Group A:
Smurph: 1-0
Charlotte: 0-0
Omega: 0-1

Group B:
Gundam: 1-0
Digi: 0-0
Blair: 0-1

Minor upset with PG over Blair, and an expected if hard-fought win for Smurph. PG (gundam) has the most unique strat in the tourney so far, and it will be interesting to see if he can ride it indefinitely or if it will hit a wall at some point.

Top two from each group will move on to the semis, with the #1 seeds playing the #2 seeds from the opposite bracket.

Digi
after completion of the final matches, a redraft period beginning at 9am EST on saturday and ending at 5pm EST sunday will take place. redraft will be first-come-first-serve, and there is no limit to how many characters you can drop.

x-over match will begin as usual on the following tuesday but will be extended from fri midnight, to sat midnight and post limit is 10.

second place in pool a goes against first place in pool b and vice versa.

Posting this so that it's two places, and doesn't get buried in the main thread.

Digi
Despite winning my match, I feel a bit like chopped liver. Gauging by judges' comments, Angelwing was my MVP. I had intended AW as support and not much else, a wrench in the works so to speak, but I guess there's no telling what will resonate with judges.

Digi
Updated Standings:

Group A:
Charlotte: 1-0
Omega: 0-2

Group B:
Digi: 1-0
Gundam: 1-1

Smurph v. Charlotte next week is largely ornamental. It will determine seeding, but not eliminations. Digi v. Blair has much more riding on it, and I'm glad that it does. Should be a fun match.

King Kandy
Despite winning my match, I feel a bit like chopped liver. Gauging by judges' comments, Angelwing was my MVP. I had intended AW as support and not much else, a wrench in the works so to speak, but I guess there's no telling what will resonate with judges.
Oh, would you prefer I took back my vote?

batdude123
It's not like it would matter. vin

xJLxKing
What if we both take it back naughty

Digi
Oh, would you prefer I took back my vote?

laughing out loud

I never said the judges were wrong, did I? Just that they all mentioned something that I didn't think they would.

Omega Vision
Now that I'm eliminated I feel no problems commenting more in depth about odds.

In the upcoming match between Charlotte and Smurph I give Charlotte the edge. If I recall correctly the next battle will take place in a cave then both the Sonic Scream (at its high DPS setting) and Cyclops' optic blast will be off the table for obvious reasons yet the Ultrasonic scream is still an option due to its low power but high effect.

Also Charlotte seemed much more concrete in her arguments than Smurph who mostly seemed to rely on a lot of subjectives and exaggerations (Mach 1 running speed? Lulz).

xJLxKing
You have to admit, AW had a huge impact. It can detect people, steal their metalic weapons, and attack them. Let's not forget that it had smoke to help your teammates.

King Kandy
laughing out loud

I never said the judges were wrong, did I? Just that they all mentioned something that I didn't think they would.
AW seemed huge to me. When you're facing an opponent using nothing but tech, how could something that nullifies their tech not be a huge factor?

Digi
Lol.

I'm not about to argue with men who are making my arguments better than I did. I did have the advantage of seeing PG's team in week 1, so I wasn't totally without some strategic luck, but I made sure I used that edge.

I got odds on Charlotte as well in next week's battle for seeding, but for different reasons than Omega. Call it a hunch, but I think I finally figured out where she's going with her picks, and I think Smurph's saving himself for re-drafts since he had to pick his current team in a hurry.

Original Smurph

Also Charlotte seemed much more concrete in her arguments than Smurph who mostly seemed to rely on a lot of subjectives and exaggerations (Mach 1 running speed? Lulz). Sweet.

I always do better when I'm being underestimated.

xJLxKing
What are your characters Smurph ?

Original Smurph
Wolverine, Iron Fist and Cyclops

xJLxKing
Interesting. I don't know about the battlefield or the prep, but I like your team

Blanket
Despite winning my match, I feel a bit like chopped liver. Gauging by judges' comments, Angelwing was my MVP. I had intended AW as support and not much else, a wrench in the works so to speak, but I guess there's no telling what will resonate with judges. Rematch without AW, amirite?

Digi
Originally posted by Blanket
Rematch without AW, amirite?

Hell no. AW was a huge reason I picked MK, knowing it would be included in standard equipment like Frank's battle van. MK's a goddamned swiss army knife like that though. There's always a backup plan in drafts, but I would've cringed if I hadn't gotten him.

batdude123
Can't believe nobody has even thought about drafting Batman WITH THE BATMOBILE...

What's the world coming to?

Digi
Originally posted by batdude123
Can't believe nobody has even thought about drafting Batman WITH THE BATMOBILE...

Bats becomes exponentially more useful with prep, though, and this tourney has none. Someone like Frank or MK, while not possessing all of Batman's skills or prep potential, can claim more of their toys as "standard" than Bats can.

Of course, I realize your comment is mostly sarcastic, but Batman in the right setting would be fine. Hell, I've used Joker and Lex Luthor in tourneys (just Lex, kinda...I never got to use Joker for what I intended). And let's not forget that Bruce Lee was once drafted in a tourney because "all the good picks were taken."

no expression

Blanket
Can you still draft Bruce Lee?

batdude123
Bats becomes exponentially more useful with prep, though, and this tourney has none. Someone like Frank or MK, while not possessing all of Batman's skills or prep potential, can claim more of their toys as "standard" than Bats can.

Leo deemed the batmobile as being "standard" when I talked to him.

smile

Digi
Leo deemed the batmobile as being "standard" when I talked to him.

smile

Well then, he'll make an excellent compliment to my Daken/Jarvis combo.

psycho gundam
Updated Standings:

Group A:
Charlotte: 1-0
Omega: 0-2

Group B:
Digi: 1-0
Gundam: 1-1

Smurph v. Charlotte next week is largely ornamental. It will determine seeding, but not eliminations. Digi v. Blair has much more riding on it, and I'm glad that it does. Should be a fun match. I'm rooting for Blair

biscuits

Digi
Heh, fair enough.

psycho gundam
nothing against you, but that's the only way i can stay alive. plus the re-draft creates more possibilities so....

"Blair winds" is my only hope

Digi
nothing against you, but that's the only way i can stay alive. plus the re-draft creates more possibilities so....

"Blair winds" is my only hope

How do you figure? If I beat Blair, you and I move on to the semis. You'd be the #2 seed, but would have a chance to re-draft. I'm your better hope. A 3-way 1-1 cluster**** would suck for everyone but Blair at this point.

psycho gundam
i thought we were aiming for two wins with one winner from each group *shrugs*

Digi
i thought we were aiming for two wins with one winner from each group *shrugs*

Nope, leo's having 2 from each group advance. Record will just determine seeding, #1 seeds play the #2 seed from the opposite group.

psycho gundam
ahh

Starscream M
I actually wanted to try a similar idea a long time ago: it would be a series of interconnected Battlezones, but each match would be determined entirely by the two people entering it. So, for example, Smurph and leo would agree to rules and conditions, find judges, etc. and maybe Jinzin and I would do the same. Then the winners would face off with their own unique match conditions. There would be no continuity between matches other than the participants themselves.

I figured that if each was a standalone thing, there would be no timetable to the "tourney" and therefore no down time. Just a lot of really fun matches. don't think that would ever happen tbh.

I think the structure of tourneys force people to be prompt and on time. without that structure, people can delay, drag on, or even just discontinue it. Sure, there are some who are dedicated enough to battlezone it, but there's a reason the battlezone has sounded far better in theory than in actuality.

Starscream M
I've found this tourney to be quite neat and organized.

I think I like one person teams better than two person teams....it just seems so to flow so much better.

this tourney has been running quite smooth so far, good job leo!

Enyalus
I think I like one person teams better than two person teams....it just seems so to flow so much better.
Dunno. As someone who's knowledgeable about a lot of characters but is an expert in very few characters, I'd probably have to have a partner to pick up my slack in a tournament setting. The guys who do this consistently either a) really impress me, or b) get all their info from respect threads. lol

Definitely. Except that Leo still hasn't asked me to judge yet! stick out tongue

King Kandy
I've found this tourney to be quite neat and organized.

Speaking as someone who does both, teams and single events seem about equal to me.

Digi
I always think I'll hate partner tourneys until I actually get into it with a partner. And it's really a lot of fun. I partnered with Scoob and then Newjak/Leo, and both were cool. The latter in particular was good because we had 6 characters on our teams, and in wild battle settings. So it was more than any one person could reasonably handle. I took 2 of the 6 and just rocked sh*t, and the other two did the same.

So I think there's a right place for it. Partners in this tourney would suck, for example, because there's not enough going on for 2 people. And I don't mean post-count-wise (which has been low thus far) but the power level, environments, and lack of prep. But herald tourneys, for example, could always handle partners well.

But yes, kudos to leo, but as I learned firsthand (and others have as well) the smoothness of a tourney is often out of the host's hands. No-shows in participants and judges is what normally crushes tourney "momentum" the most. So there's some luck involved regardless of the host's dedication. Leo's been qucik and consistent with his rulings, though, and has a large judging pool, which are really the two biggest things.

King Kandy
I have had some great experiences in team tourneys, first I had Akuki/Charlotte and then two goes with Id. Akuki was great though I have no lost love for Charlotte as she seems to have gained a habit of constantly badmouthing our performance and strategies in that tourney in discussions. Id was great, a real good research partner and ideas person.

Digi
I have had some great experiences in team tourneys, first I had Akuki/Charlotte and then two goes with Id. Akuki was great though I have no lost love for Charlotte as she seems to have gained a habit of constantly badmouthing our performance and strategies in that tourney in discussions. Id was great, a real good research partner and ideas person.

Heh. Sometimes the soup doesn't congeal. Or something.

confused

But your success with those respective partners I think reflects your thoughts on the pairings. I always wanted to blow minds and team up with, like, Trick or someone. That would be a riot. Ending in tragedy, of course. But a riot nonetheless.

psycho gundam
you'll walk out on him when you realize he's just a fanboy with little respect for ....logic. it'll be epic, but his grand scheme will be full of holes only invisible to him.

he'll probably pull a no-show also.

Enyalus
But your success with those respective partners I think reflects your thoughts on the pairings. I always wanted to blow minds and team up with, like, Trick or someone. That would be a riot. Ending in tragedy, of course. But a riot nonetheless.
Think big. Team with KMC's resident peak human.

King Kandy
Heh. Sometimes the soup doesn't congeal. Or something.

confused

I'll blow minds once I have actually pulled off a tourney win... until then i'm going to just try and come up with solid teams and character choices.

Digi
I'll blow minds once I have actually pulled off a tourney win... until then i'm going to just try and come up with solid teams and character choices.

heh, indeed.

Originally posted by Enyalus
Think big. Team with KMC's resident peak human.

The original KMC peak human was JPlatinum ("JP" to his minions), who actually entered a tournament and got slaughtered by Scoobless. He was the one who tried to draft Bruce Lee, and ended up with Batman Beyond and some Street Fighter character, iirc. Him, I'd partner with.

Enyalus
If only The Tick were low meta...Le sigh.

King Kandy
I should have joined this (in retrospect there were some characters I thought could have been competitive that no one picked). Then again, I probably would have except I was out of town when the drafts happened... so it was kind of impossible.

Charlotte DeBel

Not OUR. At the early stages we were great. MINE. At the Riddick battlefield where I made CRUCIAL tactical mistake regarding battlefield manipulation and that tourney was centered around exploiting it. Though the battlefield setting of Silient Hill has already doomed a team with a vampire in it to disaster. At least the way it was presented.

batdude123
I partnered with Scoob and then Newjak/Leo, and both were cool.

no expression

Digi
no expression

laughing out loud

Sh*t, I don't even remember writing Newjak's name last night. It was like 2AM, so you'll have to forgive me. I didn't forget that you were our partner, though. Didn't you come in late or something, though? I just read an early match from that tourney you weren't there.

....and as I typed this, I just realized you're judging my match.

no expression

batdude123
Yeah, I came in as an upgraded replacement for Nejak.

And don't worry. I won't take this into consideration when judging your match...

shifty

Digi
Yeah, I came in as an upgraded replacement for Nejak.

And don't worry. I won't take this into consideration when judging your match...

shifty

fml

I checked our last match and remember you in it now. Seriously, my apologies. With all the tourneys I see in some form, I can't be expected to remember everything, right? Especially when there's a substitution mid-tourney....

Right? right?!

frusty

leonidas
smooth digi. i think you've got him convinced. no expression

but seriously--bats was on that team?? blink

heh

Blair Wind
Any odds for the play-offs, especially since these are new teams?

Blair Wind

Static Shock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_(DC_Comics)

Nightcrawler (w/swords):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightcrawler_(comics)

Dagger:
http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/d/dagger.htm

cdb

m -
http://uncannyxmen.net/db/spotlight/showquestion.asp?faq=10&fldAuto=133

Cecilia Reyes
http://uncannyxmen.net/db/spotlight/showquestion.asp?faq=10&fldAuto=119

black canary -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Canary

Digi

Spot:
http://marvel.com/universe/Spot

Black Panther:
http://marvel.com/universe/Black_Panther_(T%27Challa)

Iron Spiderman
http://marvel.wikia.com/Iron_Spider_Armor

Gundam

Pip -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pip_the_Troll

jonas harrow -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Harrow

punisher -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punisher

Scoobless
How typical that you all started your little tourney before I got my internet up and running again .... pffff.

A pox I say, a pox on all your houses!

Starscream M
Originally posted by Scoobless
How typical that you all started your little tourney before I got my internet up and running again .... pffff.

A pox I say, a pox on all your houses! haven't seen you in awhile

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>