Nintendo 3ds

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

One Free Man
http://gizmodo.com/5499713/nintendo-3ds-the-details

well, this seems to correct some issues i've had with handheld gaming over the years...

discuss.

§P0oONY
*groan*

I miss the GBA.

One Free Man
that little unbreakable brick with a gazillion fun titles?

I agree.

my big excitement over this is the 3g card though. Imagine games like tf2 ported to this... (yes, i'm ACTUALLY wanting this to happen because of what the hacked product will look like.)

S_D_J
TF2 on DS?

no expression

One Free Man
Originally posted by S_D_J
TF2 on DS?

no expression oh i'm imagining the less than legal psp communities I am such a big fan of will jump right on this if it's half as powerful as they are claiming it is.

S_D_J
You're free to dream smile

stick out tongue

I doubt it will be as powerful... but anything can happen

S_D_J
http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c71692/media/image/201006/php4vtLgAnint_3d.jpg

anolog rub and top widescreen (two great things about the PSP)

I want one!
NintenCats! eek!

and it even plays 3D movies!

... and apparently Metal Gear as well smile

Mandrag Ganon
Looking good... but I still desire the return of the Gameboy.

Darth Jello
Will those of us with color blindness or deficiencies be able to play this? I know that I could never watch 3D movies until the Real D system came out and the recent ones are ok for me.

Darth Jello
nm, apparantly you can turn off the 3d entirely. Problem solved.

ScreamPaste
3DS = Nintendo owning my wallet. I just carry the damn thing.

Heythere,Honey
*drool*

RichardBrittain
Here here.

http://thefreeimagehost.info/lib/images/usr20100

Sin_Volvagia
I don't get myself involved in portable gaming and if I was, I'd own it just for a taste of this 3D fad thats all the rage now.

LLLLLink
Definitely getting this.

Ushgarak
Well, looks like we are now dated on this. 26th February for Japan, sometime in March elsewhere- confounding rumours that it would be out this year.

It is also finally getting a damn Virtual Console service so you can buy Game Boy games on it, which is what they should have done for the DSi.

Scythe
The $300 price tag is expected, but quite high. Will gladly wait for another, perhas slimmer verson of it.

Kosmic King
Sounds like a dissapointment. i'll besticking with my DS Lite for now.

Peach
We started taking reserves on this a couple weeks ago; no definite info on final price or release date yet but they're estimating $290 for price and sometime in March for release.

All of the games we have in the system come out in June, though, so yeah.

Personally I am not that interested. 3D doesn't agree with me.

ScreamPaste
I'm SO EXCITED O_O;

Try pirating Nintendo games, now, PsP >=(

Nemesis X
$300 for a handheld. To me, that's the sign of being a rip off artist. They should offer a deal like if we get the 3DS, we can get a game with it for free and I don't mean giving us crappy sports games, I mean let us pick something off the shelf. Resident Evil Revelations is definatley the game I want to pick out.

Peach
...considering how much the technology probably cost to develop?

They have to make money, and they certainly won't be making much, if any, profit on the actual system itself.

Nemesis X
They should lower the price to $250. That sounds more like a fair price.

Peach
Like I just said...

Originally posted by Peach
...considering how much the technology probably cost to develop?

They have to make money, and they certainly won't be making much, if any, profit on the actual system itself.

Kosmic King
There are still many games on the DS to play; Final Fantasy IV, Lufia 2: Curse of the Sinistrals and such.

No End N Site
The games commin' out for this are gonna be hot. Too damn exspensive for me, tho. I'd rather buy somethin' else if I'm gonna spend 300$. When they go the PS3 route, I'll consider gettin' one. All that money for somethin' I could put in my pocket, that's not a phone. I could undertstand if it did something new we haven't seen before or that I couldn't get outta other mobile devices, but sadly it does not.

Nemesis X
Even Metal Gear Solid 3 is gonna be in this. Instead of a PS3 makeover, they throw it onto the 3DS. Great...Now I know I want to get that handheld.

RE: Blaxican
...why? Don't you already have it for like... your PS2?

Ushgarak
Actually the technology probably didn't cost THAT much. As they have been talking, they were looking into this 3d idea on earlier systems but shied away as the components required were too expensive. Now they are not. I don't know how much it cost to get that much horsepower into it, though.

I do feel the system is on the pricey side, but there you go; it is priced there because the market will take it at that price point.

Scythe
It'll get cheaper, and perhaps smaller. Till then, I'll be gettin' it.

Bardock42
My girlfriend wants to get it on launch, I'll probably wait until it gets cheaper if I get one, still got a lot of DS games to play, and maybe I'll steal it from her a couple of times.

Either way it does look awesome, the line up of announced games so far looks epic, I hope we will get more great titles with time though. And the demos look amazing. Personally I didn't see why you'd get a DSi or DSi XL over a DS Lite, just seemed like hardly any improvement, but this one looks like a gigantic leap.

LLLLLink
From reading some of the comments here, I get the feeling that either A) you are all cheapskates, or B) you don't really appreciate the situation. (Perhaps that doesn't apply to everyone)
If you didn't feel anything when you heard about an Ocarina of Time remake then I suppose that you must be just another noob who can only get off to GTA and Halo. No respect for the classics these days.

That's stupid though. Why pay for a handheld remake of a game you've played a dozen times, especially if you already have it and can play it on something else?

LLLLLink
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
That's stupid though. Why pay for a handheld remake of a game you've played a dozen times, especially if you already have it and can play it on something else?

Why pay to eat at your favorite restaurant even though you have eaten there 1000 times and could just get the same food at home?

They will really hurt themselves if Nintendo manages to F up OoT.

I would never pay 300 dollars for a meal I've eaten a bunch of times. That would be stupid.

Peach
Originally posted by LLLLLink
From reading some of the comments here, I get the feeling that either A) you are all cheapskates, or B) you don't really appreciate the situation. (Perhaps that doesn't apply to everyone)
If you didn't feel anything when you heard about an Ocarina of Time remake then I suppose that you must be just another noob who can only get off to GTA and Halo. No respect for the classics these days.

Yes, I am a cheapskate. I can't afford to shell out that much at once. It's called having responsibilities. And really, what situation is there to appreciate? It's a handheld system that will play in 3D (automatically drops my interest by a significant amount) with a bunch of remade games (drops it further, because if it's one I'm interested in, I've played it already numerous times).

And I've played OoT well over a dozen times, having owned it since it first came out, and I still have my N64 and copy of the game...don't really need a remake of it.

Also, your restaurant analogy fails, as 95% of people are not restaurant-quality chefs, and (as someone who is a damn good cook) cooking at home is oftentimes both pricy and very time-consuming.

LLLLLink
Too shallow of a thought process to use that one, it seems.

Ushgarak
Either post something useful for the thread or do not post at all, LLLLLink.

Bardock42
Originally posted by LLLLLink

I haven't played Ocarina of Time. I'll probably check it on the 3DS though. Though it seems to me that you might give too much credit to the Zelda franchise, there are other games out there, and it's quite reasonable not to want to pay 300$ just for one game anyways.

And the truth is that consoles have their prices incredibly fast, so really it's more about if it is worth that much money to you to get it at the beginning cause you want to be part of "it" from the start and just can't wait a little bit longer.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Bardock42
I haven't played Ocarina of Time. I'll probably check it on the 3DS though. Though it seems to me that you might give too much credit to the Zelda franchise, there are other games out there, and it's quite reasonable not to want to pay 300$ just for one game anyways.

And the truth is that consoles have their prices incredibly fast, so really it's more about if it is worth that much money to you to get it at the beginning cause you want to be part of "it" from the start and just can't wait a little bit longer.
This (apart from not having played OoT). Though of course, there are more games there I'm interested in, as well as the technology itself.

It's doubtful I'll get the 3DS at launch, unless they have an absolutely phenomenal launch library, but I'm not expecting that at all. I can surely wait for a price drop or a bulk package.

Bardock42
Well I am interested in a lot of games that Wikipedia says will be on the 3DS

Assassin's Creed
Batman
Contra
Dead or Alive
Dragon Ball
FIFA Soccer
Kid Icarus
Ocarina of Time
Mario Cart
MGS3
Naruto Shippuden
Ninja Gaiden
Paper Mario
Pilot Wing Resort
Resident Evil Revelations
Resident Evil Mercenaries
Saints Row Drive By
Star Fox 64
Super Monkey Ball
Super Street Fighter IV

these to be specific. And I played OoT a bit at a friends house, I don't know, Link just seems way overrated...

Peach
Well I am interested in a lot of games that Wikipedia says will be on the 3DS

Assassin's Creed
Batman
Contra
Dead or Alive
Dragon Ball
FIFA Soccer
Kid Icarus
Ocarina of Time
Mario Cart
MGS3
Naruto Shippuden
Ninja Gaiden
Paper Mario
Pilot Wing Resort
Saints Row Drive By
Star Fox 64
Super Monkey Ball
Super Street Fighter IV

these to be specific. And I played OoT a bit at a friends house, I don't know, Link just seems way overrated...

Assassin's Creed is the only one of those I really have any interest in, myself. A lot are just remakes of games I've already played (and some of those I didn't even like much the first time I played them).

General Kaliero
AC, OoT, and Star Fox are the only ones there currently catching my interest. Mario Kart and Kid Icarus are to be determined after they're released and reviewed.

Bardock42
I am interested in Kid Icarus, I love the one on my GameBoy, but I mean the gameplay is going to be completely different.

And I did play some of those on their original console, but being able to play them on the go and perhaps with overhauled graphics, sounds great to me.

BackFire
Won't be buying this system for quite a while it seems. No way will I pay $300 for a handheld.

Nemesis X
...why? Don't you already have it for like... your PS2?

I don't have a PS2 and my PS3 doesn't play last gen games unless they were downloadable content (like MGS1 for example). I could get a PS2 to play it but I think I'll play it on the 3DS if I do plan to get it and besides, MGS3 isn't the only reason why I want one. There's also Resident Evil Revelations and Mercenaries.

Ridley_Prime
Any specifics as to that Batman being on the 3DS list? Like it being Arkham Asylum-esque or anything?

SaTsuJiN
*crosses fingers for a reboot of the Metroid Prime : Hunters universe*

><

Ridley_Prime
Would rather have a post-Fusion game or Metroid II remake on the 3DS instead of more of that hunters stuff. erm

General Kaliero
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
*crosses fingers for a reboot of the Metroid Prime : Hunters universe*

><
Guh, no. Do what Zero Mission did for Metroid 1, to Metroid II, or finally do something after Fusion. Hunters needs to go away.

Scythe
Holy f*cking shitbabies, Contra!!

TheAuraAngel
Is this system going to backwards compatible? With the DS games I mean?

General Kaliero
Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
Is this system going to backwards compatible? With the DS games I mean?
I would imagine so, as backwards compatibility has always been a thing for Nintendo handhelds, at least to the immediately-previous generation. Although, I remember reading somewhere that Nintendo really wanted to push downloadable games for the 3DS...

Bardock42
I read that the cartridges are basically the same, and just have an additional hook or something so you don't put 3DS games in the standard DS, while presumably DS games fit in the 3DS.

Ushgarak
Indeedy.

Mind you, this has to be the last time that Nintendo do a straight cartridge handheld like this. Some of their bigwigs have already said they like the Kindle.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Guh, no. Do what Zero Mission did for Metroid 1, to Metroid II, or finally do something after Fusion. Hunters needs to go away. so you're saying.. we need yet another retelling, instead of a great multiplayer experience? I'll pass

if you're talking about single player.. I dont know who on gods green earth played hunters for the story

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Indeedy.

Mind you, this has to be the last time that Nintendo do a straight cartridge handheld like this. Some of their bigwigs have already said they like the Kindle.

Makes sense. Things should get a lot cheaper by the next time around.

Also perhaps they will go into competing more with all those other internet devices/phones, like Sony is obviously trying.

Peach
The 3DS is most definitely going to be backwards compatible with DS games.

TheAuraAngel
Good. Now to just wait for the price to drop and I can finally get back to my lovely DS games. I don't want to buy a new DS just for me to have to try and scrape up money to get the 3DS. Looks like I'm waiting...

Bardock42
Perhaps when the 3DS comes out the DSi will drop in price. Personally I bought a DS Lite of ebay half a year ago for like 70 Euros, so that was fine for me.

General Kaliero
so you're saying.. we need yet another retelling, instead of a great multiplayer experience? I'll pass

if you're talking about single player.. I dont know who on gods green earth played hunters for the story
I have yet to see a great multiplayer experience in a Metroid game. The series has gone downhill enough recently as it is. Another awful Hunters game will only make it worse.

Indeedy.

I'm fairly sure an interview with Iwata had him saying that they were looking into the next console having only downloadable games. Notable for seeing Nintendo being on the front end of something internet-related.

Peach
Oh god, don't go the way of downloads-only. Didn't the PSP Go already show that that's simply not a format that'll work yet?

Bardock42
I have yet to see a great multiplayer experience in a Metroid game. The series has gone downhill enough recently as it is. Another awful Hunters game will only make it worse.

I'm fairly sure an interview with Iwata had him saying that they were looking into the next console having only downloadable games. Notable for seeing Nintendo being on the front end of something internet-related.

I'm not sure if that's going to be different in the other consoles when they come out, we'll see I guess.

Ushgarak
Oh god, don't go the way of downloads-only. Didn't the PSP Go already show that that's simply not a format that'll work yet?

That's the inevitable direction of all of these things. It's a very sensible idea. Once you can get games like the Kindle gets books, the idea of having to use physical media for it becomes redundant; this in turn allows for a much more efficient design for the handheld.

Bardock42
Well, we can already see that on the iOS, the App Store model is likely what's going to happen to games very soon. On the PC there's Steam for a similar model. Microsoft is definitely looking into that with it's Windows Phone 7 and especially the XBox branded parts, it wouldn't surprise me if they would also try to get into the handheld console market based on that.

Ushgarak
Yes, but we need a global wireless infrastructure capable of delivering large game files reliably before Nintendo could reasonably commit to such a handheld.

Remember, the Kindle model is no subscription fees and the ability to download anywhere.

Bardock42
Yes, but we need a global wireless infrastructure capable of delivering large game files reliably before Nintendo could reasonably commit to such a handheld.

Remember, the Kindle model is no subscription fees and the ability to download anywhere.

I actually have a Wifi kindle. And I mean Nintendo could do that, too. Basically like the iPod. You could buy your games on Wifi, or perhaps upgrade it with a SIM card (though SIM cards seriously need to just go away and die soon)...a Kindle model would be nice, but I think it mostly works cause books are tiny and no one in their right mind wants to use the Kindle to surf the internet.

Ushgarak
They could, but it loses some of the charm that way. Well, we'll see. I agree it is the way forward.

SaTsuJiN

the only two occurences I've seen of multiplayer in metroid, was the tacked-on / lazily implemented MP mode in Prime 2 (which was indeed awful), and Hunters...(unless you're going to count something completely unrelated to FPS style, such as that pinball game)

Hunters had great controls, very well done morph ball modes, special abilities in both bipedal and morph ball... the only problem I saw was that Psylux was way too powerful, and I'm pretty sure the best possible matchup against him was Samus... havent played it in a while so I dont remember... but I do remember that hunters was the best 30 dollars I've ever spent on a DS game, right along side mario kart, phantasy star zero, and meteos

perhaps you're just not into competetive gaming, and prefer a single player experience?

Right now the only reason I'd buy a 3ds is to play Super Street Fighter IV.. and since I have it on 360, thats not much of a reason
(not to mention I'm pretty miffed that it wasnt even that long after I bought a DSi, that DSi XL came out, and then even shorter after, 3DS gets announced.. I mean goddamn.. is nintendo ever gonna have some kind of trade-in offer? XD )

General Kaliero
Hunters' controls were utterly horrid, what are you talking about? Forcing you to use the stylus and touchscreen was a bad concept all around, and the thing as a whole was incredibly cramped. Do you have tiny hands or something?

The singleplayer was formulaic and contrived, and the multiplayer was about as bare-bones as you could get. Not to mention that unless you were playing locally, it would drop you from matches about a third of the time.

No, Hunters was a bad game, both entertainment- and design-wise.

Peach
No, but retailers do all the time. How do you think I got my DSi? Sure as hell didn't pay full price for it (nor did I keep my DS Lite), that's for certain.

SaTsuJiN
well I dont have basketball players hands.. I think I have a bit smaller than average but not necessarily tiny.. you 'did' have to have a surface to lean the DS on so you can use the stylus freely.. using the stylus is the best method for a game like that.. did you want them to use the buttons to aim? o_O...

the single player was tacked on, so its really irrelevant (same case with Prime 2's multi).. I'm pretty sure I already said the SP was highly mediocre

what did you want from the multiplayer exactly? call of duty perks? .. I'm not even sure how many players the DS could have handled in 1 game.. but 4 max seemed to fill all of the maps quite nicely, and I've never dropped out of a wifi game..so I cant really empathize there..I found it thoroughly entertaining for all my 'on the go' fragfest needs

but oh wells.. we are entitled to our opinions

No, but retailers do all the time. How do you think I got my DSi? Sure as hell didn't pay full price for it (nor did I keep my DS Lite), that's for certain.

yeah, but doesnt that screw up all the friend codes? sad
I guess I wouldnt mind using that method.. but the DSi D-pad is so nice ; ;

Peach
If I ever played a game online, I would care about friend codes, but between 1) the lack of games that use wifi, 2) Nintendo's shoddy online (and the fact that it's a crapshoot as to whether or not your router will even work with it, and if you have anything more than the most basic security set up, forget it) and 3) random region-locks on games, I never bothered with that anyway.

Ridley_Prime
Downhill recently? I would say the series actually went uphill again after the release of Corruption, the Prime Trilogy set, and Other M.

As for Hunters, even if you were a fan of its controls or multiplayer, the latter still would've been eventually ruined for you thanks to the online hackers and what not...

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
still would've been eventually ruined for you thanks to the online hackers and what not...

Yikes.. I guess they didnt stop at mario kart then.. sad

I read fairly recently that they're still gonna have the friend code crap .. I was kinda hoping they'd change their method of netplay as well

No End N Site

There are reasons, none of which are good.

Juk3n
^truth.

New mario kart looks awspme, kid icarus looks EPIC. They should have created a new Zelda for day 1 release. And SSB 3D Should be a release title also.

ScreamPaste
I've wanted an update of OoT for YEARS. Since the GC came out, this is a straight up boner inducer for me. If they re-introduce Ganondorf's red blood in the climax of the game, I'll probably just flat out orgasm.

SaTsuJiN
Um.. not quite sure if I've seen the same videos as everyone else for ocarina of time 3ds... but when I see something like res evil revelations... and then see ocarina of time with the same damn nintendo 64 models.. I pretty much right then lost my interest, as I thought that to be a perfect opportunity to use some new artwork to really bring out the 3d experience

I mean I believe at the least, 3ds is capable of delivering somewhere between smash melee link and twilight princess quality link

Ridley_Prime
Yikes.. I guess they didnt stop at mario kart then.. sad
Nope, Mario Kart was just the beginning of the online hacking crusade Nintendo had to deal with.

p.s. I know this isn't anything unexpected, but I'll post it anyway.

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/surprise-announcement-at-nintendo-3ds-preview-event-on-january-19th-new-metroid-game

lol @ Kaliero then.

SaTsuJiN
Nope, Mario Kart was just the beginning of the online hacking crusade Nintendo had to deal with.

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/surprise-announcement-at-nintendo-3ds-preview-event-on-january-19th-new-metroid-game

squeee.. I lurve me some metroid big grin

ScreamPaste
Um.. not quite sure if I've seen the same videos as everyone else for ocarina of time 3ds... but when I see something like res evil revelations... and then see ocarina of time with the same damn nintendo 64 models.. I pretty much right then lost my interest, as I thought that to be a perfect opportunity to use some new artwork to really bring out the 3d experience

I mean I believe at the least, 3ds is capable of delivering somewhere between smash melee link and twilight princess quality link Have we been looking at the same videos and screenshots? The OoT remake looks much better than it's n64 counterpart. I'm fairly certain they've updated the models as well as the textures, because it looked damn good to my eye. stick out tongue

Ushgarak

Or maybe not.

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/114/1144406p1.html

Ridley_Prime
Perhaps that was all just misunderstood for this.

VpQRuIoL4Hs

edit: Then again...

http://mit.zenfs.com/75/2011/01/DSC01073.jpg

Peach
I'm surprised no one's posted about it here yet.

System will come out March 27th in the US and will cost $250; it'll be available in blue and black.

Cheaper than expected, which is nice, but it's still pretty pricey.

I'm turned on by the thumbstick.

fffuuu... it would make my train rides to work go a lot faster...

fuuu.

SaTsuJiN

http://mit.zenfs.com/75/2011/01/DSC01073.jpg

wonder if samus is going to be playable in that (DoA).. that'd be awesome.. and yum @ the tech demo

I'm going to miss the prime series though...

Barker
3ds has no games

I'll pick one up in a year or two when there's actually a decent library of things besides rehashes.

Sancty

Peach
The region-locking is crap. The DS isn't, why on earth is the 3DS?

Ushgarak
Well, here's their quote on it (taken from ign):

-----

"Nintendo 3DS hardware is available in three versions: Japanese, American and European/Australian," the company said in an official statement, "Nintendo has developed different versions of Nintendo 3DS hardware to take into account different languages, age rating requirements and parental control functionality, as well as to ensure compliance with local laws in each region."

"We want to ensure the best possible gaming experience for our users, and there is the possibility that Nintendo 3DS software sold in one region will not function properly when running on Nintendo 3DS hardware sold in another," continued the statement, "Guidance will appear on every packaging of Nintendo 3DS hardware and the accompanying software. If you are in doubt, Nintendo recommends that you only purchase Nintendo 3DS software in the region where purchased your Nintendo 3DS system."

-----

It's not what they are saying is not logical, but they are taking a small issue- i.e. imports might not work- and using a sledgehammer to ensure it's not an issue- i.e. making imports impossible. Frankly, importing is a specialist market, so I don't see why 'buyer beware' shouldn't be the guide; fact is, a lot of games WOULD work internationally if Nintendo didn't lock them out.

(It does seem possible that the region locking is not forced, so 3rd party games might be able to be clear. The statement above implies maybe not even all Nintendo games will. We'll see.)

Obviously irritating though; firstly, there are a number of games I wanted to play (Etrian Odyssey games beyond the first and The Dark Spire are two that come to mind) that never got an European release. I had half a mind to get them imported; looks like might not not even be a future option.

Secondly, based on the idea that games in different regions might be programmed a little differently, I worry that- AGAIN- that this will lead to no international multiplayer, a not uncommon trend on Nintendo games.

(And Starcraft 2)

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Barker
3ds has no games

I'll pick one up in a year or two when there's actually a decent library of things besides rehashes.
There already is apparently.. no expression

Assassin's Creed
Batman
Contra
Dead or Alive
Dragon Ball
FIFA Soccer
Kid Icarus
Ocarina of Time
Mario Cart
MGS3
Naruto Shippuden
Ninja Gaiden
Paper Mario
Pilot Wing Resort
Saints Row Drive By
Star Fox 64
Super Monkey Ball
Super Street Fighter IV

Bardock42
Well, for many of those it is not clear when they are published. They are just announced.

StyleTime

VpQRuIoL4Hs

I'm not a fan of handheld fighters typically, but this looks nice.

Ushgarak
Current launch list is here:

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/114/1144845p1.html

It may yet be expanded. I was under the impression that Zelda would be in at launch.

I've never tried a Pilotwings game before... though I do know my way around that Island quite well, due to the plane section of Wii Sports Resort... Ill give it a go.

Bardock42
I loved Pilotwings 64, I hope it is just as good as that.

General Kaliero
Current launch list is here:

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/114/1144845p1.html

It may yet be expanded. I was under the impression that Zelda would be in at launch.

I've never tried a Pilotwings game before... though I do know my way around that Island quite well, due to the plane section of Wii Sports Resort... Ill give it a go.
Wow, seriously? That's ridiculous, they need at least one guaranteed heavy hitter at launch.

Ah well, just means I don't have to purchase it immediately. Good.

Peach
I've never even heard of Pilotwings before...

And yeah, not a great initial lineup. Oh boy. Nintendogs. Yippee.

I don't think they ever gave the impression that OoT would be a launch title, though...

Ushgarak
I heard good things about Pilotwings, and since making that last post have nabbed the original on the virtual console. The only reason I never played one is that they haven't made one since I started console gaming.

Painful as it may be to admit, GK, but nintendogs is a VERY heavy hitter...

General Kaliero
I heard good things about Pilotwings, and since making that last post have nabbed the original on the virtual console. The only reason I never played one is that they haven't made one since I started console gaming.

Painful as it may be to admit, GK, but nintendogs is a VERY heavy hitter...
It may have been at the DS launch, when it was a new thing to have this virtual pet you could interact with through touch, but afterward the market was inundated with imitators, and the fad seemed like it had thoroughly burnt out after a year or so. Even my young siblings sold their copies of Nintendogs eventually.

It really annoys me if the same game with 3D means it'll be revived. And doesn't bode well for the console itself, honestly. I may be excited for 3D nostalgic play with my favorite N64 games, but rehashes IN 3D! is going to be the death of the system without a bunch of brand new games using 3D in an engaging way.

Ushgarak
You don't think it is going to sell like crazy? I have this sneaking suspicion it might. The original sold insanely well; they'd be mad not to try and do it again. And that's all part of the casual market that made the DS the killer that it was.

General Kaliero
Well I am extremely cynical, so I suppose I can see the unwashed masses flocking to it, while I wish they wouldn't. It just pains me that the same game with an added dimension is going to be the 3DS' "killer app" for a while.

Ushgarak
And yes, upon checking- nintendogs, basically, never stopped selling for the DS. Six million sales by the end of 2006, after launch- but some 22 million sales by 2009 and still climbing.

People love that stuff, I'm afraid...

Ushgarak
Also, Professor Layton is not on that list. I know that's on the Japanese launch list; it cannot be far off. There'll be more games on that list before launch. I hope.

Peach
Ehhh, Nintendogs doesn't really appeal to anyone but 10 year old girls. At least it's better than the other complete shite that they make and market for girls (like those Imagine games, ugh). They also have that "gotta catch them all" lure that made Pokemon such a success and is why people would buy all of the different versions of it.

However, for most people, it won't be a huge draw, and pet sims are definitely a genre where it got popular, the market was flooded, and few people care anymore.

Edit: And checking around, I cannot find any sales figures that are more recent than early 2009. Those numbers are two years out of date. And while I will concede that it did sell well, I think it pretty much died out after that. I know that I certainly haven't seen it move off shelves, so to speak, in the past year or two.

Bardock42
Bit of oversharing 'bout Pilotwings...it was actually my brothers game and when we argued he blackmailed me with selling it. Lovely, eh?

To be fair, ever getting it again if he did was quite out of reach for me as a wee 10 year old lad.

Ushgarak
Ehhh, Nintendogs doesn't really appeal to anyone but 10 year old girls. At least it's better than the other complete shite that they make and market for girls (like those Imagine games, ugh). They also have that "gotta catch them all" lure that made Pokemon such a success and is why people would buy all of the different versions of it.
However, for most people, it won't be a huge draw, and pet sims are definitely a genre where it got popular, the market was flooded, and few people care anymore.

Edit: And checking around, I cannot find any sales figures that are more recent than early 2009. Those numbers are two years out of date. And while I will concede that it did sell well, I think it pretty much died out after that. I know that I certainly haven't seen it move off shelves, so to speak, in the past year or two.

That still means it sold more than 200% of its first year's takings in the following two. There are virtually no games that have done that and it is one of the most successful franchises of all time. I don't think there's much value in trying to play down what a big deal it was.

Nintendo's own March 2010 figures indicate Nintendogs was still selling after 2009, though slowed- still a million in a year. Most games don't sell a million ever, let alone an additional million years after release.

srankmissingnin
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/nintendos-2011-mega64/709368#comments_top

SaTsuJiN
I've never even heard of Pilotwings before...

wow.. its a pretty good game if you like striving for perfection, IMO

was pretty much a must-have for the SNES and 64 for me

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/nintendos-2011-mega64/709368#comments_top The first 40 seconds is epic. ****ing Nintendo.

edit- Scratch that. The entire video is epic. ****ing Nintendo.

SaTsuJiN
lol thats really sad.. but so effing hilarious

Peach
http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1146094p1.html

This surprises me not.

Bardock42
Bastards!!!

http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1146094p1.html

This surprises me not. I don't know what's more sad. That, or the fact that even with a pathetic launch title selection and a ridiculous price, the damn thing is going to sell like hotcakes.

Peach
Honestly? I'm inclined to agree. This thing is going to sell like mad, but there's nothing worth playing on it unless you want to wait at least half a year.

At least the aqua one is a very pretty color :P

General Kaliero
I particularly like how the damn president of NoA is admitting that 80% of the launch games are casual crap or tech demos.

Lessens the hard wait of holding off for a price drop, though...

Ushgarak
How long do you think a price drop is going to take? It could be a while.

Peach
A long while. It took a year and a half for any price drop for the DSi (was like half a year for the XL, they dropped at the same time) and even that was only a $20 drop. The DS Lite's been the same price for over four years.

General Kaliero
I can wait if there's no interesting games. That's the problem here. I waited a good long while for the original DS for the same reason.

Peach
Honestly, I see no reason why they can't delay the system until they have the games people actually care about (Zelda, Starfox, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, etc.) ready. It wouldn't be the first time they delayed a console for specific games to have a decent launch.

They're also going to be doing the whole manufactured rarity thing again, too - I've been hearing that there'll be a total of 4 million available at launch (in the US).

SaTsuJiN
Oh lawd.. so will you be trying for one at launch?

I think I might wait it out.. unless 1st generation 3ds has an amazing dpad like 1st gen ds, and DSi

jeebus.. Reggie knows how to sweet talk me.. @_@

Peach
...no, I'm not going to be trying for one at launch. In fact I've said numerous times I'm not that interested in it, period.

SaTsuJiN
well I'm sorry that aggravated you so much to answer me.. I honestly dont read an entire thread before I start posting.. I usually just check out whats currently being discussed

Ushgarak
Honestly, I see no reason why they can't delay the system until they have the games people actually care about (Zelda, Starfox, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, etc.) ready. It wouldn't be the first time they delayed a console for specific games to have a decent launch.

I think here is the answer to that:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/114/1146387p1.html

A release now is perfectly timed to restore their market momentum. They are determined to stay on top, and I think they'll do a better job of it this time than Sony did when they had the lead.

(Mind you- 'only' a hundred billion yen pure profit in a quarter, eh? Poor guys...)

Anyone remember the rumours that were going around that the 3DS would be out last November? It's very possible they had the hardware ready but it was the game release dates that made it impractical- maybe there was already a delay for this reason. And now the new PSP is coming, they want to get in a significant lead.

Kosmic King
Is it capable of playing old DS games?

Ushgarak
Yes.

TheAuraAngel
Well I've already pre-ordered Nintendo's punch to my face. Better be worth it.

Ushgarak
Well, on the offchance anyone cares any more, my pre-order has been dispatched so I should have this by the weekend.

Whether I actually have any games for it is another matter.

Juk3n
Holding off until the announcement of Mariokart 3DS & Kid Icarus OR the 3DSi/Lite, whichever comes first. Pilot wings looks dope though!

Peach
Well, on the offchance anyone cares any more, my pre-order has been dispatched so I should have this by the weekend.

Whether I actually have any games for it is another matter.

Haha stick out tongue

We're due to start getting them in at work today, and supposed to have a demo system by Friday. And we already have games for it. What's the point of street-dating games for before the system it plays on is out...?

GK and I got to try one out a week and a half ago, actually, was pretty neat. Still not getting it right away (or likely ever, myself), because it did start giving me a headache pretty fast, but yeah.

Ushgarak
Well, looks like Pilotwings has been sent out, so at least I'll have SOMETHING to play on it... sometime...

But DS-wise, the sequel to Okami interests me and that's not even 3DS. Strange world!

General Kaliero
It's just sad that the 3DS launch lineup clearly shows the difference between "what is good" and "what will sell." I'm intrigued by the system, especially the augmented reality stuff, but I will be waiting until there are a few real games for it to play.

On the DS front, Ush, Radiant Historia is a rather good 90s-style RPG with a fun battle system and brilliant music. Just saying.

Ushgarak
BOOO! You just trod on a landmine!

No EU release date, you see. Like most Atlus games.

Frisky Dingo
I would buy this for 1 reason, MML3. SSFIV would B a bonus, tho.

General Kaliero
BOOO! You just trod on a landmine!

No EU release date, you see. Like most Atlus games.
False landmine! DS games are region free and ripe for importing. And as far as I know the 3DS won't region-lock DS games.

Ushgarak
I don't really do importing.

Peach
And yet you have someone who works in a game store in the US who would be willing to send it to you...just saying.

stick out tongue

I got to try this out at a Best Buy. Wasn't impressed with the 3-D portion of it, it added literally nothing to the gameplay experience for me, just like regular 3-D.

The new control layout is a god send, though.

Ushgarak
And yet you have someone who works in a game store in the US who would be willing to send it to you...just saying.

stick out tongue

Well, if you just happen to send me stuff...

Though I suspect Etrian Odyssey II will have incompatible codes with the EU version of the original. Blarg.

I suspect, Blaxican, that the 3D will be like the touch/duel screens when the DS came out; it may take time before great use is made of it.

Or not! We'll see.

Ushgarak
Oh! It's arrived. Well, I'll let you know how it is.

Ushgarak
Well the 3D thing certainly works! Taking the 3d pictures is great; if only the cams were better!

GreetingsFriend
On the DS front, Ush, Radiant Historia is a rather good 90s-style RPG with a fun battle system and brilliant music. Just saying.

A better recommendation would be 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors though sadly no EU release for that one either.

GreetingsFriend
You will most probably be able to get General Kaliero to take care of postage and packaging when he sends it to you.

Peach
So yeah, I will definitely admit that the AR thing is kind of awesome.

Scythe
AR thing?

Peach
Augmented Reality. These little card things that you put down and it creates little mini-games. It's actually really, really cool.

And amazingly enough, did not give me a headache!

Ushgarak
That IS pretty good, eh?

Scythe
Augmented Reality. These little card things that you put down and it creates little mini-games. It's actually really, really cool.

And amazingly enough, did not give me a headache!

Ohh, okay. I looked it up, that's awesome.

Peach
That IS pretty good, eh?

I had far too much fun being ridiculous with the picture thing. Giant fights between Link, Kirby, and Samus FTW.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>