Michael Corleone killing Fredo or Tony Montana killing Manolo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

knightryder
which was more surprising to you ?

the death of fredo or the death of manolo ?

http://superiorsquad.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/michael-corleone1.jpg

vs

http://returntomanliness.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/tony-montana.jpg

Myth
I say Michael killing Fredo. Tony was crazy, he could kill his own mother and it wouldn't surprise me.

Robtard
Michael.

While Fredo ****ed him, he was still family and Michael always pushed the importance of family. He also regretted it later on, though.

Rogue Jedi
Plus Tony wasn't exactly in a rational state.

Darth Martin
It was more hinted at prior to the event that Michael would kill Fredo. He gave Al Neri the "look" at his mothers death. It was even hinted at earlier when he said something along the lines of "I don't want anything to happen to Fredo so long as my mother is alive."

I was sort of shocked actually when Montana killed Manny the first time I saw the film.

Myth
Originally posted by Darth Martin
It was more hinted at prior to the event that Michael would kill Fredo. He gave Al Neri the "look" at his mothers death. It was even hinted at earlier when he said something along the lines of "I don't want anything to happen to Fredo so long as my mother is alive."

I was sort of shocked actually when Montana killed Manny the first time I saw the film.

I would argue that the moment Tony killed Manny was more surprising because it was a sudden crime of passion, while Michael killing Fredo was premeditated. But the idea of Tony killing Manny is less surprising because of how much Tony is a react first, think later type of guy.

Sadako of Girth
Michael/Fredo for sure. yes

Mindship
Tony killing Manny was more of a surprise.

When Michael grabbed Fredo and said, "You broke my heart," you pretty much knew then Fredo's fate was sealed.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mindship
Tony killing Manny was more of a surprise.

When Michael grabbed Fredo and said, "You broke my heart," you pretty much knew then Fredo's fate was sealed.

This.

It was obvious, from that point on, that Fredo was going to have a date with a gat and lead....at one point.

However, I was positive that Tony would waste Manny as soon as he revealed it because Tony said not to mess with his sister.

Mindship
Originally posted by dadudemon
This.

It was obvious, from that point on, that Fredo was going to have a date with a gat and lead....at one point.

However, I was positive that Tony would waste Manny as soon as he revealed it because Tony said not to mess with his sister. Yeah, the incident was not entirely w/o foreshadowing. But even the way Michael said "You broke my heart": this was one of the all-time great line deliveries in moviedom (I think the corresponding Pacino Delivery in Scarface would be, "Say hehlo to my leel frehn'"wink.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Darth Martin

I was sort of shocked actually when Montana killed Manny the first time I saw the film. Me too. I thought Tony was gonna beat the shit outta him, then BAM. I was like WHOA!!! Manny and Gina were kinda to blame there, they knew Tony's volatile nature better than anyone else, how did they think he would react? Dumbasses.

Blinky
What? Who was surprised when Tony killed Manolo... Tony was a crazy ass killer who was a coke-head on top of that.

Rogue Jedi
Yeah, but Manny was like his brother.

Blinky
Ummmm Fredo was Michael's Brother...

Plus, Tony's "brother" was boinking his sister.

Rogue Jedi
Yes, but Tony's "brother" was his "brother", AND had married Gina.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Yes, but Tony's "brother" was his "brother", AND had married Gina.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AI-GWGu8YmE/SbeJBTvhP_I/AAAAAAAADWA/X_E98uJbfpk/S150/Batman_Photoshop_Disgusted_Face.jpg

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by dadudemon
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AI-GWGu8YmE/SbeJBTvhP_I/AAAAAAAADWA/X_E98uJbfpk/S150/Batman_Photoshop_Disgusted_Face.jpg Wait, had they gotten married, or were they simply engaged?

Robtard
Originally posted by Blinky
What? Who was surprised when Tony killed Manolo... Tony was a crazy ass killer who was a coke-head on top of that.
No one.

You knew Manny was dead right after he says "hey, you never told me you had such a beautiful sister" and Tony goes nuts. There was no surprise.

Robtard
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Wait, had they gotten married, or were they simply engaged?

Married, behind Tony's back.

Darth Martin
I don't think Montana killed Manolo for the sake of the marriage, soley. I think it had more to do with the sex part. He was in a state of "Where the **** is my partner?", he goes to find his sister and sees them both AFTER they've had sex. THIS is what pissed Tony off into an unstoppable rage, in my opinion.

If either would have came to him and told him straight up without him having to find out like that, maybe he would've lived. Tony later on regretted killing his best friend though that night. Michael was clearly in a more complex state which started from the end of the first film. He was impossible to predict.

Impediment
I, truly, never expected Michael to order the death of his own brother.

Tony was an obvious psychopath from the get-go.

Fredo's death for me, easy.

JohnT
Actually, since it had already been established that Michael would kill members of his own family (especially those family members that help arrange hits on other Corleone family members), upon reflection it shouldn't have been all that surprising that Michael would kill Fredo.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.