John Paul Stevens

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Moscow
The Supreme Court Justice eleven days short of his 90th bday announces his retirement on the Court. Appointed by Gerald Ford in 1975, he sided with mostly the liberal bloc on cases involving abortion, gun rights, war measures and the controversial 2000 election.

Possible candidates to replace him involve two women: Solicitor General Elena Kagan and Diane Wood as well as federal appellate judge Merrick Garland.

§P0oONY
Interesting.... Oh wait.... No... it's not.

Moscow
Well, he served for a long time, and in recent years he has been on the dissenting side in quite a number of cases. Another liberal justice added to it wouldn't necessarily alter the court's balance. More women on the court would be a beneficial thing, though

Shakyamunison
He will be replaced with a carbon copy.

§P0oONY

Moscow
I take a Judicial Process course at my university. It's filled with...oh..about 50 or so people. Only myself and one other guy knew who the Chief Justice was, and we were the only ones who knew who the other 8 justices were. So, Spoony, I don't blame you. Hardly anyone in the US knows or cares about the US Supreme Court.

But Shaky, you're right, Obama will appoint another carbon copy. I just think it would be nice for some gender diversity. 112 justices and only 3 of them have been women

BruceSkywalker
he will be replaced by either a LMD or steve rogers

Bicnarok

Liberator
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
He will be replaced with a carbon copy.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Moscow
I take a Judicial Process course at my university. It's filled with...oh..about 50 or so people. Only myself and one other guy knew who the Chief Justice was, and we were the only ones who knew who the other 8 justices were.

THat's pretty cool that only you guys knew that. It's great to be in the extreme minority when it comes to knowing a very important fact....wait, it's not: it's why Dems and Repubs keep getting elected to office. sad *

Tell ya what, if you run for office, I'll vote for ya. awesome

*I knew of his actions and importance, but, alas, I'm a huge idiot when it comes to names. If someone would say, "That one liberal from Ford's era", I would know who they are talking about, but not if they said, "John Paul", I'd e like, "TEH DED POOP!?!!?"

Ordo
I think we should replace one Chicagoan with another! Go Wood!

KidRock
He will be replaced by anyone other than an older white male.

Symmetric Chaos
He will be replaced with a carbon copy. Originally posted by KidRock
He will be replaced by anyone other than an older white male.

Alright, we've got all our bases covered now.

Dr Will Hatch
I take a Judicial Process course at my university. It's filled with...oh..about 50 or so people. Only myself and one other guy knew who the Chief Justice was, and we were the only ones who knew who the other 8 justices were. So, Spoony, I don't blame you. Hardly anyone in the US knows or cares about the US Supreme Court.

But Shaky, you're right, Obama will appoint another carbon copy. I just think it would be nice for some gender diversity. 112 justices and only 3 of them have been women That's disgusting. What are the other 48 others or so doing there/

he will be replaced by either a LMD or steve rogers

Captain America?! stick out tongue

Moscow
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch

That's disgusting. What are the other 48 others or so doing there/

I keep asking that question every day I go in there laughing out loud

Originally posted by dadudemon

THat's pretty cool that only you guys knew that. It's great to be in the extreme minority when it comes to knowing a very important fact....wait, it's not: it's why Dems and Repubs keep getting elected to office. *

Tell ya what, if you run for office, I'll vote for ya.

*I knew of his actions and importance, but, alas, I'm a huge idiot when it comes to names. If someone would say, "That one liberal from Ford's era", I would know who they are talking about, but not if they said, "John Paul", I'd e like, "TEH DED POOP!?!!?"

I learn too much for my own good. Gets me weird stares and deer-in-the-headlights looks. Actually, about half of the class thought John Paul Stevens was the dead pope.

Moscow
Orrin Hatch, Senator of Utah, postulated today a rumor that Press Secretary Robert Gibbs quickly denied that Hillary Clinton would be on the short list of candidates President Obama had to choose to replace Justice Stevens.

Very interesting indeed. That would give the conservative talk show and radio punditry something to talk about for a month or two

amity75
The only Protestant on the board. sad

Robtard
More women on the court would be a beneficial thing, though
Why?

Shakyamunison
Orrin Hatch, Senator of Utah, postulated today a rumor that Press Secretary Robert Gibbs quickly denied that Hillary Clinton would be on the short list of candidates President Obama had to choose to replace Justice Stevens.

Very interesting indeed. That would give the conservative talk show and radio punditry something to talk about for a month or two

Why would Hillary Clinton want that Job? I know why Obama would want her there (get her out of the way), but it would be a dead end for Hillary.

Moscow

Why would Hillary Clinton want that Job? I know why Obama would want her there (get her out of the way), but it would be a dead end for Hillary.

I was thinking the same thing, but I think Obama wants her to stay Sec. of State.
Originally posted by Robtard

Why?

It's time for better representation of the country than a bunch of old white dudes. The history of the Supreme Court has two black men, two white women, one Hispanic woman and 107 white men.

Why not have another woman on there?

KidRock
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Alright, we've got all our bases covered now.

http://aussieexotics.com/forum/dlattach.html;topic=6988.0;attach=40497;image.jpg

King Kandy
I really don't care in the slightest... another Jew would be nice though imo.

Anyway call me when a more conservative justice stops hanging on to his life, then this might actually have impact.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.