Ares Vs Thor(read what bendis thinks)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Colossus-Big C

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C

i think ares is cool and all but i disagree with that statement....

JakeTheBank
Do you have a source to that quote? Like an url or something, and interview where he stated that?

Bendis screws with power levels all the time, so it's not like it's a stretch to believe him saying that.

vansonbee
Bendis say he best writer there is in Marvel history. Second after Loeb IMO of course. laughing out loud

dmills
Wow. If true that's very...telling.

Omega Vision
To hell with what Bendis thinks.

CosmicComet
Ares is a jobber. A cool jobber, but a jobber nonetheless.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by dmills
Wow. If true that's very...telling.

yea very...considering whats going on in seige......

JakeTheBank
It doesn't help that Bendis is notorious for jobbing out characters just to make his story and whoever character he's crushing on "better".

Wild Shadow
i wouldnt mind if Ares was stronger more powerful.. i am tired of the marvel gods being nothing but mid lvl meta jobbers...

i guess it would depend how ares would differ then thor in powerwise.

dmills
What's interesting is that as far as I can recall, Ares has shown nothing powerwise that would make him and Thor out to be equals.

This statement, if true, confirms what I've suspected all along. The top brass at Marvel, top writers included, are not that big on Thor. When I look at current Marvel writers, I see quite a bit of former DC talent doing a lot of the foundational work in shaping out the new Marvel hierarchy. If a guy as influential as Bendis thinks Ares is equal with Thor, (or perhaps even his superior!) I see some hard times ahead for Thor fan's.

I'm sure he'll still kick some ass in his main title, but fans of Thor better lay low when it comes to his Avengers appearences. And heaven help them if there is ever another JLA crossover!

CosmicComet
Why do you feel the top brass is not that big on Thor?

Black bolt z
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Ares is a jobber. A cool jobber, but a jobber nonetheless. I've always been confused...what exactly is jobbing?

The Nuul
Wheres the real link to that quote?

I aint believing it until I see the real article.

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Why do you feel the top brass is not that big on Thor? The fact is Thors a character whose basically too much of a powerhouse for a team like the avengers. The problem is alot of their rogues he should be able too take out alone which defeats the purpose of a team book so he will constantly be jobbed. Also the Hierarchy for marvel is usually X-men/ Spiderman in first place, Hulk as second and everyone else (with an exception hear and there) will fall by the waste side.

Wild Shadow
i have always tried to read comics as i was an old timer and had bn reading them for over 30 some yrs and had just picked up on comics in the last 10 yrs.... i wonder to myself what would old 70's 80's 90's comic writers think of what modern writers had done to their characters..

i dont think Ares has bn viewed as being a god in the same league as thor or above him although i think he should have bn seeing as what kind of god he is..

i think a lot of old school writers would and have cried with what writers have done to thor powerwise as well as other characters who have had similar treatment just to sell more comics at the expense of their image.

at least DC writes their character up powerwise until they need a retcon... modern marvel writers seem to write them down and through the gutter removing skills and powers and give them new retcons by simply revealing more of ones past or deals with mephisto...

JakeTheBank
Yeah, I mean I think story and characterization should always come first before power levels and crazy feats, but it does seem like a lot of modern writers are unsure how to handle some of the more powerful characters in comics. JMS did a good job in my opinion paying homage to the great Thor writers before him, which I think is a good trait of any writer in the business; to be able to add to the character and their history without feeling the need to tear it all down just to do what you want to do as a writer handling the character.

dmills
@Cosmic comet,
IMO they allow things to happen to him on (and off) panel that they would never allow with their top tier characters. But I'm not really a big Thor fan so maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Mindset
I think Ares should have always been stronger than Thor, too bad he was never portrayed that way.

Marvel Ares should have been more like DC.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Mindset
Marvel Ares should have been more like DC.

thumb up

I always expected Ares to have actual powers involving war and conflict aside from just having tactics and military prowess.

Mindset
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
thumb up

I always expected Ares to have actual powers involving war and conflict aside from just having tactics and military prowess. And he's not even the best at that, lol.

Hopefully they retcon it like that was just an avatar like they did with that gay character, I forget his name.

Oh yea, Darkseid. smile

JakeTheBank
And he's not even the best at that, lol.

Hopefully they retcon it like that was just an avatar like they did with that gay character, I forget his name.

Oh yea, Darkseid. smile

laughing

dmills
@Wildshadow,

You're right in that Ares SHOULD be up there with Thor by virtue of what kind of god he is. However, on panel at least, the way it ought to be is a far cry from the way it is.

Wild Shadow
i agree that Ares should have bn given more powers similar to DC and suiting the god of war..

dmills
Yep.

Knowsbleed33
Bendis is dumb and should be hated.

Wild Shadow
it would have bn nice if ares base strength did top of at 75 ton range every time he was weight lifting or just measuring his strength but would amp up depending on the amount of violence he was currently involved in feeding him strength by rage and hate of war and battle...similar to hulk but could also be his weakness if his opponents were not alive but unfeeling automatons....

dmills
Then again, War as we know it is only as old as human history, so what the heck was Ares doing before then?

roughrider
Yeah, I've heard that from Bendis in the past. Curious though, that Ares gets ripped in half by Sentry without doing anything of consequence to the golden one, while Thor puts up a real fight against him. That was written by Bendis - seems to be giving the Odinson his just due.

Wild Shadow
placing bets on which animal kills the other like we sue to do in iraq when we would make bets on scorpions and sand spiders...

anyways a good way to increase Ares strength and power class is to give him the Executioner Axe from asgard... it would suit him fine and shouldnt have negative effects as it had on others since he is a god and has similar temperament of the original executioner..

i could have seen ares given the axe when he had turn on the dark avengers and started fighting for asgard but now he is dead... if he had the axe he could have bn somewhat equal if not superior to thor in stats due to his already existing abilities... i my mind such an ares would have sh@# stomp sentry and sentry wouldnt have bn able to pull the garbage sh## he did in the comic... turning ares from jobber to straight out fodder

CosmicComet
@Cosmic comet,
IMO they allow things to happen to him on (and off) panel that they would never allow with their top tier characters. But I'm not really a big Thor fan so maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Seems to me that most of Thor's low showings have excuses behind them. He also has had ridiculously high showings as well.

I would summarize it as the writers are either hot or cold on Thor depending on who they are individually. Honestly screw Marvel for their inconsistencies, they should protect some of their characters better than they do based on the powerset they were created for.

IMO Thor should be the cream of the crop on Marvel Earth by far (except for Juggernaut), but should have fewer appearances so as to make them special when he IS on the scene. Thor should be well above such an overall mid-level team like the Avengers.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by Black bolt z
I've always been confused...what exactly is jobbing?

Basically, jobbing is constant failure and losing to make others look good in the stories.

Terrax for example is a huge powerhouse, but he's a friggin jobber.

cdtm
Originally posted by Black bolt z
I've always been confused...what exactly is jobbing?

Professional wrestling term. Jobbing just means losing, but a jobber is more of a "professional loser", or someone who loses more often than not, and is supposed to make the other guy look good doing it.

Pretty much their main purpose is to pump up the people they face.

dmills
@cosmic comet,
But ultimately it all has to be approved by the editors. Some of whom we know can have personal biases against/for certain characters. So IMO it's more then just inconsistent writers.

redhotrash
As it stands, Apocalypse has created more impressive War incarnations than the god.

Wild Shadow
its the damn fault of fat joe quesadilla aka Joe Quesada...

god i dont care how many titles he has sold under his tenure he is still a bag of Sh$^ for what he has done to the more famous popular heroes...

"o we cant have our anti heroes drinking and cursing so much and keep the drinking to a bear minimum its a bad example to the kids... no more pain killers and drugs".. @$$ but lets screw with continuity to sell comics lets start off with spiderman and wolverine our most popular heroes.. ooh thor he has too many cosmic adventures and fights lets make him more earth bound hence make him weaker so earth heroes can compete..

Q99
The funny thing is I don't think even Bendis writes them at similar levels. Ares didn't do Thor-level stuff during his run with him on Mighty Avengers and it'd hardly take all the U-Foes to knock him down.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Knowsbleed33
Bendis is dumb and should be hated.

Bendis, Pak and Loeb are all in the same crap boat imo.

Omega Vision
And he's not even the best at that, lol.

Oh yea, Darkseid. smile
shockish

uhuh

laughing out loud

amnesia
Thor is half elder god. Elder god >> skyfather.

The Nuul
Originally posted by amnesia
Thor is half elder god. Elder god >> skyfather.

WHAAA?

Q99
Originally posted by The Nuul
Bendis, Pak and Loeb are all in the same crap boat imo.

Loeb is in another, much crappier boat if you ask me.

Also, Bendis, while he does do plenty of bad stuff, does do Ultimate Spider-man, which gets him some slack.

amnesia
WHAAA?

Thor's mother is Gaea.

The Nuul
Thor's mother is Gaea.

And?

The Nuul
Originally posted by Q99
Loeb is in another, much crappier boat if you ask me.

Also, Bendis, while he does do plenty of bad stuff, does do Ultimate Spider-man, which gets him some slack.

Leob has done some good stuff but hes still crap.

Q99

He used to do good stuff, but for the last few years he's been consistently really really crap.

amnesia
And?

she is an elder goddess.

Omega Vision
she is an elder goddess.
Gaea slept around. She's the mother of a lot of people who aren't also Elder Gods.

amnesia
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Gaea slept around. She's the mother of a lot of people who aren't also Elder Gods.

Well it appears that Thor gained some elder god genes along with demongorge.

vansonbee
Well it appears that Thor gained some elder god genes along with demongorge. So?

The Nuul
Wheres the facts/proof of this claim?

Omega Vision
Well it appears that Thor gained some elder god genes along with demongorge.
From what I understand the only real benefit of that is that he's more powerful on Earth than in space. Supposedly.

amnesia
Wheres the facts/proof of this claim?

Well, Thor is a lot stronger then any other Asgardian. Oh, and in the new Thor run he does something in Africa. I can't really explain it. Just check it out...

The Nuul
Herc is a part Elder God also right? Hes the strongest Olympian and has feats the others cannot match.

The Nuul
Well, Thor is a lot stronger then any other Asgardian. Oh, and in the new Thor run he does something in Africa. I can't really explain it. Just check it out...

That aint saying shit.

quanchi112
This is just one person's opinion which kind of settles the question of how his Sentry would face off against his Thor. In a battle with a winner Sentry is way too powerful which is consistent with how he deems sentry as a threat.

Ares and Thor vary according to various other writers though so that won't change. Another writer can also have Thor and Sentry closer in terms of power than bendis does.

amnesia
Herc is a part Elder God also right? Hes the strongest Olympian and has feats the others cannot match.

1/8 elder god.

The Nuul
Bullshit.

amnesia

BlackZero30x

Agree'ed

Colossus-Big C
gaea is every single earth gods ancestor
i read alot of the hanbooks she is also odins great grandmother

gaea posed as a cow created buri
buri fatherd bor
bor fathered odin
odin mates with gaea
and fathered thor

gaea gave birth to uranus
uranus fathered cronus
cronus fathered zeus
zeus fathered hercules

every single pantheon is created by gaea

Omega Vision
gaea is every single earth gods ancestor
i read alot of the hanbooks she is also odins great grandmother

gaea posed as a cow created buri
buri fatherd bor
bor fathered odin
odin mates with gaea
and fathered thor

gaea gave birth to uranus
uranus fathered cronus
cronus fathered zeus
zeus fathered hercules

every single pantheon is created by gaea
So Odin banged his great grandmother to sire Thor? Wild.

amnesia

certainly explains Thor's intellect big grin

Odin = white thrash?

Lord_Talron
ares couldnt even take ultron in new avengers, how am i supposed to believe that he is on the same level as thor

Colossus-Big C
has ares been revived in one of those avengers comics?

WhiteWitchKing
Originally posted by Lord_Talron
ares couldnt even take ultron in new avengers, how am i supposed to believe that he is on the same level as thor

Sentry and Thor have had the same trouble with Ultron.

Colossus-Big C
how do i put a video here so i can post the interview?

Firestorms
Wheres the real link to that quote?

I aint believing it until I see the real article.

He hinted something to this on ign years ago, then recently on the link brightcove Marvel dot com section where they host the live videos with interviewers and writers. Bendis gives his thoughts about the upcoming Siege arc and he goes out again to say Sentry>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ares=/=Thor

I don't know if he really and trully believes this, if he has I feel sorry for him because I already lost a lot of respect for his writing skills as his quality of work dropped.

However in defense of Bendis I do sometimes feel Thor has been depowered and Marvel writers don't give him due respect
I also feel Bendis might have been guiding Thor fans in for a soft landing rather than a crash landing
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid16671792001?bctid=73881051001

If Bendis had said Sentry would WRECK Thor and provoked fans by saying not on a cold day in hell is Thor still able to win, then Thor fans would go nuts
There would be outcry and flamer mails bombarding Marvel's inbox
but instead Bendis let the fans down slowly, he hinted Thor was at the same power level of Ares, ripped Ares in 2 and then allowed Thor to lose the fight with a level of dignity

There is a reason Thor can not solo Sentry
it not just Bendis who disrespects Thor but also the whole of Marvel who don't really think Thor is so super anymore

Wanda, Rulk or X-Man might do the job
but Thor is no longer with the elite. Don't blame Bendis for this, lots of Marvel writers feel this way.

The Nuul
On panel in comics >>> writers options.

Colossus-Big C
also here is one of his recent interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuBgbPyid3M

Q99

By god standards that's positively tame. Just look at the Greeks.

JakeTheBank
It's been stated before that, biologically, Thor is half Elder God, half Asgardian. It's what contributes to his power level being significantly higher than the rest of the Asgardians, sans Odin.

Parmaniac
certainly explains Thor's intellect big grin

Odin = white thrash? Thor should exchange his hammer to a shotgun and a red pick-up.

Spire
Thor still wins.

amnesia
Originally posted by Parmaniac
Thor should exchange his hammer to a shotgun and a red pick-up.

I get the redneck references, i actually have family in north Dakota or perhaps it's south, can't really remember.

quanchi112
Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
Sentry and Thor have had the same trouble with Ultron. That wasn't sentry at his best or anywhere near he is being written currently so it's a moot point.

D_Dude1210
What would REALLY hurt the Thor fans is if Thor gets wrecked and then the Surfer comes in and beats Void/Sentry. smile

Warlord
Originally posted by D_Dude1210
What would REALLY hurt the Thor fans is if Thor gets wrecked and then the Superman comes in and beats Void/Sentry. smile

amnesia
What would REALLY hurt the Thor fans is if Thor gets wrecked and then the Surfer comes in and beats Void/Sentry. smile

I think i would go all punisher on Bendis big grin

the elder gods are called that because they are elder, spontaneously formed from primordial magical energy that bloomed in the birth of the planet - sometimes after demiurge breaks himself apart to give them life. As they reproduced, their power thinned out through the generations until the candy ass panthons and demon lords of today, they all descend from them. So thor isn't 'half elder god', he may be more powerfull than the average asgardian - who are barely more than human - because his parents were so powerfull, but he is still a microbe compared to his father, let alone his mother.

roughrider

If Thor lost a fight to the Surfer, I could accept that. They are that evenly matched.

CosmicComet

Surfer is a classic just like Thor. I'd have no problem with that. Either can be numero uno high herald and I'd be cool with that.

roughrider
Originally posted by 753
the elder gods are called that because they are elder, spontaneously formed from primordial magical energy that bloomed in the birth of the planet - sometimes after demiurge breaks himself apart to give them life. As they reproduced, their power thinned out through the generations until the candy ass panthons and demon lords of today, they all descend from them. So thor isn't 'half elder god', he may be more powerfull than the average asgardian - who are barely more than human - because his parents were so powerfull, but he is still a microbe compared to his father, let alone his mother.

Hey - the average Asgardian can lift 30 tons and take punches from the Hulk and survive. That's better than barely human.
Odin is more powerful than Thor because while he lived he was connected to all the mystic energy in Asgard & the Nine Worlds, through the Odin force. Doesn't make Thor a microbe, exactly.

jinio
Originally posted by Firestorms

it not just Bendis who disrespects Thor but also the whole of Marvel who don't really think Thor is so super anymore

thor is not disrespected he is just portrayed the way he should be,problem is that there are many thor fanboys who believe he should be stronger then he really is, lets watch his entire career thor have always been fighting hulk toe 2 toe, most of the times lost to hercules,got his face caved in by kurse, surtur act act... thor was always is and will be always the way he should be and thats a hulk hercules level character with extra powers thats it dont try tomake him something he is not

Originally posted by roughrider
Hey - the average Asgardian can lift 30 tons and take punches from the Hulk and survive. That's better than barely human.
Odin is more powerful than Thor because while he lived he was connected to all the mystic energy in Asgard & the Nine Worlds, through the Odin force. Doesn't make Thor a microbe, exactly.

fine they are a lot stroner than humans, but just look at siege, they're getting dropped like flies by an army of z-listers. Daken's bone claws have eviscerated a hundred of them, Bullseye and taskmaster are going through them like they're fodder.

616 thor might grow up for good someday, but until then, claiming he is half elder god as though it means something is nonsense.

amnesia
Originally posted by jinio
thor is not disrespected he is just portrayed the way he should be,problem is that there are many thor fanboys who believe he should be stronger then he really is, lets watch his entire career thor have always been fighting hulk toe 2 toe, most of the times lost to hercules,got his face caved in by kurse, surtur act act... thor was always is and will be always the way he should be and thats a hulk hercules level character with extra powers thats it dont try tomake him something he is not

Did you ever notice that Thor always goes H2H against those guys? I mean Thor is evenly matched with Herc in terms of strength. (they are, it has been stated a LOT of times) And when Thor first cheats, he wins... One lighting bolt and herc went down... But you are obviously biased, so arguing with you would be beneath me.

jinio
Did you ever notice that Thor always goes H2H against those guys? I mean Thor is evenly matched with Herc in terms of strength. (they are, it has been stated a LOT of times) And when Thor first cheats, he wins... One lighting bolt and herc went down... But you are obviously biased, so arguing with you would be beneath me.

he is using mjolnir against them which is already cheating and he still get his ass kicked by them, if you think that you are above someone thats pathetic you know what they say only a fool will think he is smart and only the smart knows that he is a fool

quanchi112
Originally posted by jinio
he is using mjolnir against them which is already cheating and he still get his ass kicked by them, if you think that you are above someone thats pathetic you know what they say only a fool will think he is smart and only the smart knows that he is a fool How is using his trademark weapon at all considered Thor using an unfair advantage?

JakeTheBank
lawl at "cheating"

the ninjak
Yeah Ares may be as strong but not as durable.........Siege.

Naija boy

lol, i doubt that will happen. Surfer has been on a bit of a run since annhilation tho. From annihilation onwards he has, created blackhole as a sideffect of a casual blast, matched and replicated thanos power output, Taken a huge beating from Proemial Gods and channeled the crunch energies, reconstructed planet skaar and stripped skaar of the oldpower, Made nova prime look like a toddler as well as some badass telepathy and matter manip feats in the nova series....right up to his recent demolition of Beta ray bill. His only blemishes as of recent were the infamous black panther hammer lock incident and the Rulk thing (which doesnt really apply since it wasnt current surfer anyways).

Thor on the other hand has been in a bit of a slump ever since coming back with the events of siege being the height of it. Sadly he really doesnt seem to be in the good graces of his current writers. (Hopefully he can make a comeback in siege 4).

jinio
Originally posted by quanchi112
How is using his trademark weapon at all considered Thor using an unfair advantage?

because its a weapon in a hand 2 hand fight and if you find him superior or at least even in strength with those guys then him using a hammer while they use there fists is cheating

Ptr_Grifin
I thought Ares was a class 70, give or take, and Thor is a very high class 100?

Colossus-Big C
lets see what bendis does when he revives ares.
he might come back more powerful than he ever was.

i wouldnt be suprised if ares is revived and is the one that stops sentry

jinio
lets see what bendis does when he revives ares.
he might come back more powerful than he ever was.

i wouldnt be suprised if ares is revived and is the one that stops sentry

and then he would kick thor's ass big grin

Q99
Originally posted by Ptr_Grifin
I thought Ares was a class 70, give or take, and Thor is a very high class 100?

You thought right.

Ares is very dangerous for a class 70, but still.

JakeTheBank
Bendis can think and believe that Ares and Thor are on the "same level" all he wants. Doesn't make it true.

Wild Shadow
at least not until he gets it in multi colored print

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
at least not until he gets it in multi colored print

thumb up

I mean, he had Ares ripped in half by Sentry, and had Thor fight Sentry on roughly even footing despite having been less than 100%. I say "roughly even" because Thor was able to shrug off Sentry's blows as well as deal damage (probably cosmetic only) to Sentry's "shell" without being completely messed up at the end of their scuffle. Not a good way to show his case.

And that's without looking at their earlier feats for comparison.

Philosophía
thumb up

I mean, he had Ares ripped in half by Sentry, and had Thor fight Sentry on roughly even footing despite having been less than 100%. I say "roughly even" because Thor was able to shrug off Sentry's blows as well as deal damage (probably cosmetic only) to Sentry's "shell" without being completely messed up at the end of their scuffle. Not a good way to show his case.

And that's without looking at their earlier feats for comparison. You probably haven't read the fight that Bendis wrote. He gave Thor a free shot, then took what Thor described as 'all the power at his command' (yes, it obviously wasn't, but we're discussing what Bendis has penned here -- remember this part), only for his 'void form' to creep out of the 'Sentry shell' and make Thor practically shit his pants while he is helplessly in its grasp, until he leaves and take down Asgard with Thor watching, again, helpless.

thumb up

And that's without looking at their earlier feats for comparison.

Sentry was just playing with him, thor never really threatened him in that fight. We'll know more soon.

quanchi112
Originally posted by 753
Sentry was just playing with him, thor never really threatened him in that fight. We'll know more soon. I agree. Sentry isn't going to rip everyone in his path in half. Sentry did show Thor wasn't even a threat at all and took down asgard while fighting Thor. Very impressive.

amnesia
I agree. Sentry isn't going to rip everyone in his path in half. Sentry did show Thor wasn't even a threat at all and took down asgard while fighting Thor. Very impressive.

Although i agree, Sentry WTF pwns Thor, why do you like that messed up character? He is like the Paris Hilton of the marvel universe.

quanchi112
Although i agree, Sentry WTF pwns Thor, why do you like that messed up character? He is like the Paris Hilton of the marvel universe. I like the fact he is unstable. I like the Void side of him and the fact he's terrified of losing control. I also love Thor but the Void has always been above the likes of Thor thus far.

I hate sentry, but the void is alright

amnesia
I like the fact he is unstable. I like the Void side of him and the fact he's terrified of losing control. I also love Thor but the Void has always been above the likes of Thor thus far.

Personally i don't have anything against him, and i look forward to see some more kick ass fatality's,i just think he is an underdeveloped character.

(The last comment BTW, was just to grind your gears... Red hulk >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Paris Hilton

quanchi112
Personally i don't have anything against him, and i look forward to see some more kick ass fatality's,i just think he is an underdeveloped character.

(The last comment BTW, was just to grind your gears... Red hulk >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Paris Hilton To each his own.

I like the Sentry and actually like the fact most people can't stand him.

Allankles
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
i have always tried to read comics as i was an old timer and had bn reading them for over 30 some yrs and had just picked up on comics in the last 10 yrs.... i wonder to myself what would old 70's 80's 90's comic writers think of what modern writers had done to their characters..

i dont think Ares has bn viewed as being a god in the same league as thor or above him although i think he should have bn seeing as what kind of god he is..

i think a lot of old school writers would and have cried with what writers have done to thor powerwise as well as other characters who have had similar treatment just to sell more comics at the expense of their image.

at least DC writes their character up powerwise until they need a retcon... modern marvel writers seem to write them down and through the gutter removing skills and powers and give them new retcons by simply revealing more of ones past or deals with mephisto...

I don't agree with the depowering of certain characters but I also think the powersets of certain characters should be streamlined. Thor controls lightining, why not play with that idea more. He's the god of lightning and his abilities should be based around this element. The same way guys like Ymir are skyfathers controlling one potent element.

Also its about damn time Marvel upgraded some of their gods. I've never liked their treatment of the likes of Ares, Balder et al. Balder was the wisest god in Norse mythology, not just an Adonis. Ares is supposed to be a powerful skyfather type deity, not a borderline mid to lower tier guy.

Allankles
I like the fact he is unstable. I like the Void side of him and the fact he's terrified of losing control. I also love Thor but the Void has always been above the likes of Thor thus far.

I think Sentry is a character in creative limbo. Writers don't know what to do with him. He went from being a conventional hero (that was supposed to be as celebrated as Thor even though he was new) to becoming a Doomsday-Jerkyl & Hyde type character that's become nothing short of a sentient weapon.

psycho gundam
^ good

the moment the avengers found him in that dungeon or whatever with the hobo beard, he was cool in my book. this is the REAL sentry, acting like superman was only a part of his power set and personality.

cdtm
Originally posted by Allankles
I think Sentry is a character in creative limbo. Writers don't know what to do with him. He went from being a conventional hero (that was supposed to be as celebrated as Thor even though he was new) to becoming a Doomsday-Jerkyl & Hyde type character that's become nothing short of a sentient weapon.

Agreed completely.

His "non evil" half is barely a step up from Void, considering he rips characters in half. And he's so unstable and simple minded, you have to wonder how he ever performed those genius feats of technology and such... Hell, you have to wonder how he ever fooled the world into believing he wasn't insane.

cdtm
I don't agree with the depowering of certain characters but I also think the powersets of certain characters should be streamlined. Thor controls lightining, why not play with that idea more. He's the god of lightning and his abilities should be based around this element. The same way guys like Ymir are skyfathers controlling one potent element.

The Marvel family/Black Adam is a pretty good example of how to do this. The way they manipulate lightning helps further separate them from Superman, and it's resulted in some pretty cool moments.

Also, playing up their "magic" nature more, like showing Captain Marvel has natural resistance to magics.

Doctor-Alvis
I agree. Sentry isn't going to rip everyone in his path in half. Sentry did show Thor wasn't even a threat at all and took down asgard while fighting Thor. Very impressive.
That was really only due to his insane flight speed.

quanchi112
I think Sentry is a character in creative limbo. Writers don't know what to do with him. He went from being a conventional hero (that was supposed to be as celebrated as Thor even though he was new) to becoming a Doomsday-Jerkyl & Hyde type character that's become nothing short of a sentient weapon. He was always the void so I don't see what you think changed. He's a plot device like the Spectre and will vary big time from writer to writer.

Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
That was really only due to his insane flight speed. Are you saying if it weren't for his flight speed Thor would have prevented him from taking down asgard?

Doctor-Alvis
Are you saying if it weren't for his flight speed Thor would have prevented him from taking down asgard?
I'm saying, even though I think they were in post opening blow dialogue and not actually fighting when it happened, because of Sentry's insane flight speed he was able to destroy the castle in like a second, before Thor could try to delay, or even react to, it.

iceman24567
I think Ares should have always been stronger than Thor, too bad he was never portrayed that way.

Marvel Ares should have been more like DC. thumb up Dc Ares is just a better character all around

roughrider
Originally posted by iceman24567
thumb up Dc Ares is just a better character all around

DC chose Ares to be the big evil heavy in their Olympic pantheon. At Marvel, they chose Hades/Pluto a long time ago instead. That's all.

Colossus-Big C
DC chose Ares to be the big evil heavy in their Olympic pantheon. At Marvel, they chose Hades/Pluto a long time ago instead. That's all. and even he jobs to thor

quanchi112
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
I'm saying, even though I think they were in post opening blow dialogue and not actually fighting when it happened, because of Sentry's insane flight speed he was able to destroy the castle in like a second, before Thor could try to delay, or even react to, it. Thor actually knocked Sentry away after his initial sneak attack so I don't agree. Thor just couldn't stop him because he's the Void and is that powerful.

Allankles
DC chose Ares to be the big evil heavy in their Olympic pantheon. At Marvel, they chose Hades/Pluto a long time ago instead. That's all.

But DC Hades is also a heavyweight. Hera, Zeus, Hades, Ares are all heavyweights in DC. In Marvel it usually just one or 2 from the Norse and Olympian pantheons that could be classified as heavyweights.

Balder wisest of the Norse gods - nothing but an Adonis type figure. Ares - a lower tier warrior.

Heimdall an intriguing god in Norse mythology, the father of the Norsemen who worshiped the gods and arguably the toughest guy in the Norse pantheon, and the guy who ultimately kills Loki - not so tough, not even Thor level.

quanchi112
But DC Hades is also a heavyweight. Hera, Zeus, Hades, Ares are all heavyweights in DC. In Marvel it usually just one or 2 from the Norse and Olympian pantheons that could be classified as heavyweights.

Balder wisest of the Norse gods - nothing but an Adonis type figure. Ares - a lower tier warrior.

Heimdall an intriguing god in Norse mythology, the father of the Norsemen who worshiped the gods and arguably the toughest guy in the Norse pantheon, and the guy who ultimately kills Loki - not so tough, not even Thor level. How is Ares is a heavyweight? What has he done to prove he's more formidable than Thor?

Omega Vision
How is Ares is a heavyweight? What has he done to prove he's more formidable than Thor?
He killed Highfather (who was admittedly caught off guard), something I can't see Thor doing.

quanchi112
He killed Highfather (who was admittedly caught off guard), something I can't see Thor doing. So if Thor channeled his energy and caught Izaya off guard with a godblast Izaya would live?

Omega Vision
So if Thor channeled his energy and caught Izaya off guard with a godblast Izaya would live?
Izaya was caught off guard but it wasn't like he was ambushed. He didn't have time to raise an effective defense but he'd be able to dodge a God-Blast.

dmills
So let me get this straight. Thor, who has battled everything from Surtur to Celestials and everything in between and showed no fear while doing so, pisses himself over Sentry? I mean really?

Omega Vision
So let me get this straight. Thor, who has battled everything from Surtur to Celestials and everything in between and showed no fear while doing so, pisses himself over Sentry? I mean really?
To be fair the Celestials never thought to take the form of a Space Crab.

Lord_Talron
gotta ask this but, how can bendis think that ares and thor are similar in power yet ares is not as strong as herc, and his magical abilities are very limited

Omega Vision
gotta ask this but, how can bendis think that ares and thor are similar in power yet ares is not as strong as herc, and his magical abilities are very limited
Its bullshit how Marvel treats their Gods. A main Olympian God below a Demigod like Hercules? Bullshit Marvel.

Outside of the core three brothers (Zeus, Hades, Poseidon) and Hera Ares was probably the most powerful Olympian in original myth.

Lord_Talron
hmm, maybe bendis is trying to do a favor for the myth, still consistency is nice...

Omega Vision
hmm, maybe bendis is trying to do a favor for the myth, still consistency is nice...
I don't blame Bendis so much as whoever the genius was that first chose to make Marvel Ares a Low-Mid Herald.

Lord_Talron
I don't blame Bendis so much as whoever the genius was that first chose to make Marvel Ares a Low-Mid Herald. agree with you, but unless hes retconned, bendis should keep him as he has already been written

Allankles
How is Ares is a heavyweight? What has he done to prove he's more formidable than Thor?

I was talking about Marvel Ares stature vs his mytholgical stature. And if you're talking about DC Ares, he psionically feeds off of conflict and can manipulate reality to a degree to generate conflict i.e. he trully epitomizes the title of god of war.

As I said, he fulfills his role as a deity of war, he's not just some lower tier warrior with immortality, he actually generates conflict metaphysically and is altered by and strengthened through conflict.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention that he has power over the dead as a death god as well.

Allankles

Doesn't make sense.

Naija boy
I don't blame Bendis so much as whoever the genius was that first chose to make Marvel Ares a Low-Mid Herald.

I honestly im not sure he is even up to that. At the very very very best he is low herald level. Not even close to mid. I mean isnt he a 70 tonner? Not to mention his durability doesnt seem to be to great nor does he have a wide range of powers or anything.

quanchi112
Izaya was caught off guard but it wasn't like he was ambushed. He didn't have time to raise an effective defense but he'd be able to dodge a God-Blast. But if he got hit he'd die. Thanks for agreeing. Izaya also doesn't have many impressive showings at all. The guy has been beaten by Seid and was easily killed by Ares.Originally posted by Omega Vision
Its bullshit how Marvel treats their Gods. A main Olympian God below a Demigod like Hercules? Bullshit Marvel.

Outside of the core three brothers (Zeus, Hades, Poseidon) and Hera Ares was probably the most powerful Olympian in original myth. I think marvel does a much better job than dc with their mythologies.Originally posted by Allankles
I was talking about Marvel Ares stature vs his mytholgical stature. And if you're talking about DC Ares, he psionically feeds off of conflict and can manipulate reality to a degree to generate conflict i.e. he trully epitomizes the title of god of war.

As I said, he fulfills his role as a deity of war, he's not just some lower tier warrior with immortality, he actually generates conflict metaphysically and is altered by and strengthened through conflict.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention that he has power over the dead as a death god as well. He was also dominated by Cronus like a noob and was recently killed by WW. What has he done to prove he's uber since you believe he is?

JakeTheBank
To be fair, Ares planned for Diana to kill him.

quanchi112
To be fair, Ares planned for Diana to kill him. The attack still can kill him though. I don't see this attack doing much if anything to someone like Odin.

JakeTheBank
The attack still can kill him though. I don't see this attack doing much if anything to someone like Odin.

If Odin wanted to die, I don't see why not.

quanchi112
If Odin wanted to die, I don't see why not. So if Odin wants to die can make it happen simply by his desire when being attacked?

JakeTheBank
So if Odin wants to die can make it happen simply by his desire when being attacked?

If he's being striked in a otherwise fatal manner with weapons that are more likely than not, enchanted (as it was stated in the previous volume of WW only said enchanted weapons could even harm Ares as he is the God of War), sure. Ares being killed by Diana with a enchanted axe when he prepped for and counted for said instance isn't a low showing for him.

quanchi112
If he's being striked in a otherwise fatal manner with weapons that are more likely than not, enchanted (as it was stated in the previous volume of WW only said enchanted weapons could even harm Ares as he is the God of War), sure. Ares being killed by Diana with a enchanted axe when he prepped for and counted for said instance isn't a low showing for him. Most weapons are enchanted when discussing asgardians or greeks. I still don't think any old enchanted sword could kill Odin. Ares has never proven himself to be far above top tier anyways which is my point.

Allankles
Most weapons are enchanted when discussing asgardians or greeks. I still don't think any old enchanted sword could kill Odin. Ares has never proven himself to be far above top tier anyways which is my point.

Silly argument, Odin can be harmed by magical weapons enchanted to harm him. Ares is a skyfather, he has complete power over two dimensions, can psionically feed of conflict, control and raise the dead and can warp reality.

quanchi112
Silly argument, Odin can be harmed by magical weapons enchanted to harm him. Ares is a skyfather, he has complete power over two dimensions, can psionically feed of conflict, control and raise the dead and can warp reality. It would take a force far greater than Odin to do so while we have seen far less affect ares. I get you like to hype these guys while ignoring how they appear in combat on panel but you have nothing. Cronus treated ares like nothing. WW killed him. He beat Izaya as he channeled his energies with a surprise attack while Izaya was weakened.

Colossus-Big C
cronus is more powerful than zeus and he had the god wave also

Colossus-Big C
also wats going on in seige lately

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.