The End Of Transistors

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Symmetric Chaos
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/08/science/08chips.html

Basically we could have computronium in the relatively near future. Transhumanists rejoice!

On a less giddy note, we may be on the verge of a real revolution in computing on par with the invention of the transistor. Given the relatively few fundamental changes our technology has been making in the last few decades this is great news.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/08/science/08chips.html

Basically we could have computronium in the relatively near future. Transhumanists rejoice!

On a less giddy note, we may be on the verge of a real revolution in computing on par with the invention of the transistor. Given the relatively few fundamental changes our technology has been making in the last few decades this is great news.

lol!

I'm writing a paper on memristors for my Operating Systems class. I'm coming up with new ways that scheduling algorithms would have to work with a true universal memory. (Not RAM, it's all just "memory".)

Right now, I'm throwing around how L1 and L2/L3 cache would work. It's so very neat all of the possabilities.

more later...

King Kandy
Also vacuum-tube type equipment becomes efficient at the nano level.

Darth Jello
hey, as long as they keep making valve sound equipment, solid state can get ****ed.

jaden101
Who was the physicist who was disgraced about a decade ago because of his faked papers on biological transistors?

I remember reading about it but can't remember who he was.

I vaguely remember it being heralded as the replacement for standard transistors...Although I also remember the "experts" saying that computing power couldn't increase much more due to transistors getting to the point where they couldn't handle the temperatures involved and so would just melt.

Mindship
"Memristors"?

Almost makes "bulk" look good.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by jaden101
Who was the physicist who was disgraced about a decade ago because of his faked papers on biological transistors?

I remember reading about it but can't remember who he was.

I vaguely remember it being heralded as the replacement for standard transistors.

This appears to be a more serious effort with multiple groups working on it. In fact a lot of important groups are working on some sort of replacement for transistors right now.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.