a lot of Seismic activity

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok

Liberator
Yeah I was thinking the same thing but at the sametime Earthquakes happen all the time and it's most likely just coincidence. But there has been a pretty big wave of natural disasters in the past decade hasn't there?

Clovie
could anyone give me a short summary on what is happening recently? with the volcanos.. and everything///
because our tv is mostly about sunday's ceremony.

Bicnarok
This map gives you all the current events as far as natural and other disasters are concerned.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

dadudemon
http://geology.rockbandit.net/2010/03/01/has-there-been-an-increase-in-earthquake-activity/

The end.

Check out the standard deviation information after reading that everything is normal.

It took me about 5 seconds to find that article (prolly closer to 6 seconds, actually.)

Ms.Marvel
ddm is so cool and smart. lets all praise his greatness.

ive heard from a lot of people that the activity recently is actually pretty normal as well. but it does feel like its been very frequent lately! /0.0\

Ms.Marvel
edit

Robtard
It's the evil American Empire doing further field testing with their quake-maker machine. Any day now, Iran will be crushed.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
ddm is so cool and smart. lets all praise his greatness.

While that is true, finding an article that addresses the thread in a few seconds, is not cool or smart. Anyone can do that.

Are you sore from yesterday when you tried to change your argument in the brutality thread? Listen, people are wrong on the internets, sometimes. It happens. When you're wrong, admit it, move on. No reason to hold grudges all over the place.

Guess what? I've been wrong several times and I had to admit I was wrong. fear

I know, right? It happens.

ive heard from a lot of people that the activity recently is actually pretty normal as well. but it does feel like its been very frequent lately! /0.0\

Just a perception baseed on news coverage AND the locations of the quakes hitting populated areas rather than some random spot in the middle of an ocean.

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by dadudemon
While that is true, finding an article that addresses the thread in a few seconds, is not cool or smart. Anyone can do that.

Are you sore from yesterday when you tried to change your argument in the brutality thread? Listen, people are wrong on the internets, sometimes. It happens. When you're wrong, admit it, move on. No reason to hold grudges all over the place.

Guess what? I've been wrong several times and I had to admit I was wrong. fear

I know, right? It happens.

feel free to reply to my post in there. laughing out loud

Mairuzu
Earth had too many chimichangas

Mindship

dadudemon
feel free to reply to my post in there. laughing out loud
laughing laughing laughing

I saw it a bit ago and replied.

Good times.

The Dark Cloud

dadudemon
Originally posted by The Dark Cloud
Volcanic and tectonic activity is normal and has been with the earth since the beginning. Geologically speaking, it's a pretty quiet period for both now considering the earth's history.

Alright....

Where the hell did you get your seismic data, and how the hell did you get data from millions of years ago?

Are you the Ancient One spoken of in many tales?

Ordo
Originally posted by Bicnarok
I was wondering if there is a reason for this, ie A planet or large object approaching from space pulling on the earth (Niburusmile), the HAARP or other devices like the LHC effecting the earth.

Its totally the LHC...

...or maybe its because if one plate moves, its alters pressures on the other plates, prompting them to move too.

Theres some stupid science on it or something...they call the BS "tectronics" or something.

§P0oONY
Volcano in Iceland erupted today. No planes are taking off an landing in the UK and in other placed in Northern Europe due to ash. The one day in ages I was sue to fly... Talk about sod's law.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Ordo
Its totally the LHC...

...or maybe its because if one plate moves, its alters pressures on the other plates, prompting them to move too.

Theres some stupid science on it or something...they call the BS "tectronics" or something. laughing

Wild Shadow
its the reptilians and the grey cave dwelling aliens doing this to us..

Prep-Man
For the past few years, there has been an increase of earthquakes. In terms of MODERN times. This year alone has had at least one destructive earthquake a MONTH. I haven't heard anything like that. Again, just recorded time. This is fairly normal, though, as the earth has always been like a roller coster.

One theory for so much activity is that earth is orbiting around the ecliptic.

Prep-Man

dadudemon
Originally posted by Prep-Man
For the past few years, there has been an increase of earthquakes. In terms of MODERN times. This year alone has had at least one destructive earthquake a MONTH. I haven't heard anything like that. Again, just recorded time. This is fairly normal, though, as the earth has always been like a roller coster.

One theory for so much activity is that earth is orbiting around the ecliptic.

No, that's incorrect.

http://geology.rockbandit.net/2010/03/01/has-there-been-an-increase-in-earthquake-activity/

The end.

Check out the standard deviation information after reading that everything is normal.

Prep-Man
No, that's incorrect.

Not exactly accurate numbers, especially since some of the weaker known eq's have been unaccounted for.

dadudemon
Not exactly accurate numbers, especially since some of the weaker known eq's have been unaccounted for.

No, you're incorrect. They have. We are within one standard deviation of the 15 year average.

There is no discussion and this thread should be closed.

Prep-Man
Well, adding the numbers out, not counting 2010:

2000-2009
6-6.9 1465
7-7.9 131
8-8.9 13

total: 1609

1990-1999
6-6.9 1339
7-7.9 147
8-8.9 6

total: 1492

1980-1989
6-6.9 980
7-7.9 101
8-8.9 4

1085>1492>1609

BTW, this year had an insane amount of small quakes in Cali. USGE worker did claim that this year had an increase from previous years. I'll see if I can get a link or quote.

Mindship
...wrought from the initial Dougquake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_pY3ez5XwM

Bicnarok

It took me about 5 seconds to find that article (prolly closer to 6 seconds, actually.)
WOW give yourself a MEDAL eek!

Wait until it really erupts. Last time it erupted or the lazy eruption of 1700's, it lasted for about 2 years. Which could be detrimental to Europe's economy as more flights will be grounded.

History has shown that once the Eyjafjallajokull erupts, Katla will follow. Usually days to months, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will happen this time. You better pray, because a sizable eruption could have global consequences.

That should make life interesting, will be good for the global warming all those flights being cancelled, erm wait all that ash in the sky might have a detrimental effective as well big grin

As for Eyjafjallajokull....... be a good name for a childsmile

Mist_haermm
We just had a tremor here literally 2mins ago messed First one I've ever felt, and I was just reading this thread about 2 hours ago, weird.

§P0oONY
How awesome would it be if one of those super volcanos went off? Now that would be someone awesome to die to.

Mairuzu
Heroine

Shakyamunison
http://www.livescience.com/environment/is-earth-shaking-more-100414.html

dadudemon
WOW give yourself a MEDAL eek!

Why do I need a medal for what you should have done before creating this thread?

Well, adding the numbers out, not counting 2010:

2000-2009
6-6.9 1465
7-7.9 131
8-8.9 13

total: 1609

1990-1999
6-6.9 1339
7-7.9 147
8-8.9 6

total: 1492

1980-1989
6-6.9 980
7-7.9 101
8-8.9 4

1085>1492>1609

BTW, this year had an insane amount of small quakes in Cali. USGE worker did claim that this year had an increase from previous years. I'll see if I can get a link or quote.

We are talking about this year. How does this year shape up compared to others? Is it within 2 standard deviations of the previous 15? It's close. I've been running some numbers and putting them into an image file to post in here.

Here's the site I was using.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/graphs.php

I have only put together about half of the numbers. I am running low on time. If you'd like to do a standard deviation for 6-6.9, 7-7.9, and 8-8.9, that'd save me a bunch of time.

But, from what I see, slightly more earthquakes, but nothing severe like is being suggested. In fact, the last 2-3 years have been less than the previous 10. Also, our ability to detect Earthquakes has definitely improved over the last 30 years. Our ability to sort the data into distinct events has improved as well. We haven't made much progress in that area since the 90s, though. We are pretty solid, now.

Bicnarok
Why do I need a medal for what you should have done before creating this thread?

-...........Loads of waffle.........------

Because your a smart ass.

The idea of the thread was to discuss the recent seismic activity, not to post a bunch of statistics, which mean nothing.

Clovie
okay. they've closed our airports.
why the stupid volcano didn't erupt a week ago?

Shakyamunison
...and we have just lost any ground we may have made on global warming.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Clovie
okay. they've closed our airports.
why the stupid volcano didn't erupt a week ago? Not quite a week ago but ash is slow moving. Better to be safe than sorry. You know the kind of shit people would give the airlines if a plane was taken down by it.

dadudemon
Because your a smart ass.

The idea of the thread was to discuss the recent seismic activity, not to post a bunch of statistics, which mean nothing.

I understand that you see my comments as abrasive or insulting. Cool. I've made threads before that were useless because I wasn't aware of some data before hand. It happens. There's no reason to believe that you're stupid, incompetent, or some other negative thing. That shouldn't come into play. You're fine. I'll continue to read your posts and not think any less of you.

More to the point, you said:

It seems to me that there has been a lot of Seismic activity in the past few months, numerous earthquakes of various magnitudes, volcanoes erupting including the latest one in Iceland which has caused various airports to cancel flights.

I was wondering if there is a reason for this, ie A planet or large object approaching from space pulling on the earth (Niburusmile), the HAARP or other devices like the LHC effecting the earth.

So I addressed it. Thread should be done, right?

And my comment about taking just 5-6 second to find that information wasn't intended to insult you, but illustrate how easy it is find information on what you wanted to discuss.

And, those "bunch of statistics, which mean nothing" apply directly to the thread topic, make this thread almost completely void from its point, AND should debunk some false conceptions others have.

Clovie

§P0oONY
put "poland" into google.
I WISH THE STUPID VOLCANO HAS HAD ERUPTED A WEEK EARLIER!!! I'm not exactly sure what Poland has to do with anything specifically (I know you're there but still), the volcanic ash is effecting all of northern europe. There is no point in getting angry at an enviromental cause.

Clovie
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100410/ap_on_re_eu/eu_russia_plane_crash

I see your too lazy or too ignorant to use google.

and I'll say once again: I wish the volcano had erupted one week earlier.

§P0oONY
That wasn't caused by the volcano. no expression

The volcano erupted yesterday/day before no expression

So don't call me lazy and ignorant.

Ushgarak
I think clovie is saying that if flights were grounded last week it wouldn't have happened.

Still, no call for the insults, clovie.

Clovie
that's exactly what I have meant. no flights = no crashes.

and those weren't insults. just a personal observation. sorry.

Ushgarak
Calling someone stupid is an insult no matter how you frame it. Please don't be like that again.

Clovie
or what? you'll ban me? please... I've explained and said sorry. but nonetheless I'm still thinking what I'm thinking. and for sure not going to beg for forgiveness.

§P0oONY
that's exactly what I have meant. no flights = no crashes.

and those weren't insults. just a personal observation. sorry. no expression - Your entire point has to be one of the silliest I've ever heard... "If only a volcano erupted a week earlier to stop a plane crash from happening."... With that sort of logic you could say pretty much anything. "Oh if only Hitler had got struck by lightning"

Not an insult just a personal observation? I don't mind you insulting me but please don't try and be diplomatic about it.

Clovie
Hitler was to be aborted, but his mother has changed her mind.. if you wanna go that way..

and maybe I'm silly. but in case of the volcanic ash they would have taken another plane (smaller one) or train.

not to mention that this is Stalin's fault.. but I didn't want to go THAT far.

Shakyamunison
Clovie, can a person avoid their fate? ...but maybe that is a topic for another thread.

§P0oONY
But it's not like the volcano decided to erupt a week later. It is a random and rare event. It's pretty much like saying "I wish I'd picked those numbers" after the lottery results come up.

Clovie
One lady woke up in the middle of the night and decided not to take this flight. one guy was asked to give his place to someone else. and now he's alive and the other person is not.

So it was their fate not to die or have they avoided it?

In general I believe in fate. and that everything has a purpose and stuff.. but i don't like bad things happening.

@Spoony
Volcano has been waking up since march.. so why not a week earlier? I know that's insane. but this way I can blame it on the volcano for not erupting earlier.

Shakyamunison
One lady woke up in the middle of the night and decided not to take this flight. one guy was asked to give his place to someone else. and now he's alive and the other person is not.

So it was their fate not to die or have they avoided it?

In general I believe in fate. and that everything has a purpose and stuff.. but i don't like bad things happening.

Agreed, but what helps you the most?

Clovie
not thinking. because thinking hurts.

Shakyamunison
not thinking. because thinking hurts.

I understand.

§P0oONY
@Spoony
Volcano has been waking up since march.. so why not a week earlier? I know that's insane. but this way I can blame it on the volcano for not erupting earlier.

Why not a week earlier? Simply becuase it didn't happen then and it was never going to happen then. You could replay history again and again and it would never erupt a week earler. Not due to fate or aynthing thing like that. The reason it would have never erupted a week earlier is due to the fact that we are on a timeline, which is pretty much lineear to all intensive purposes.

§P0oONY
To put it simply... you can't change the past so it's stupid to speculate.

Clovie
I don't want to change past. I wish it didn't happen the way it did. and I want to wake up and find out it all was just a horrible dream.

§P0oONY
Why wish something so obscure though!? Why not simply wish he hadn't of got on the plane... Not "I wish that the volcano erupted a week earlier",

Clovie
who he? there was almost 100 ppl. and I guess volcano doesn't care when it erupts, right?

Shakyamunison
who he? there was almost 100 ppl. and I guess volcano doesn't care when it erupts, right?

Volcanoes don't care, ever.

§P0oONY
You're upset because of the other people who died around your president as well? You might just not want to watch the news if people dying is going to get to you. I'd understand feeling bad if you lose a great leader but the people who you don't know around him? Why feel bad?

Symmetric Chaos
So anyhow, there isn't any more seismic activity this year, it's just happening in inconvenient places.

Mindset
No, there's more.

Don't believe the numbers.

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by Ordo
Its totally the LHC...

Theres some stupid science on it or something...they call the BS "tectronics" or something.
TEACH THE CONTROVERSEY!!

Ushgarak
or what? you'll ban me? please... I've explained and said sorry. but nonetheless I'm still thinking what I'm thinking. and for sure not going to beg for forgiveness.

Whoa there. What's with that attitude?

That's pretty immature and bad form. I'll definitely ban you if you carry on posting like that, yes. That's an official warning for you there.

Prep-Man

We are talking about this year. How does this year shape up compared to others? Is it within 2 standard deviations of the previous 15? It's close. I've been running some numbers and putting them into an image file to post in here.

Here's the site I was using.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/graphs.php

I have only put together about half of the numbers. I am running low on time. If you'd like to do a standard deviation for 6-6.9, 7-7.9, and 8-8.9, that'd save me a bunch of time.

But, from what I see, slightly more earthquakes, but nothing severe like is being suggested. In fact, the last 2-3 years have been less than the previous 10. Also, our ability to detect Earthquakes has definitely improved over the last 30 years. Our ability to sort the data into distinct events has improved as well. We haven't made much progress in that area since the 90s, though. We are pretty solid, now.

The reason I'm not counting this year (which has had more destructive eq's than previous) is because it's not over yet. Numbers do show that the M6-9 have increased in past decades. I never meant that this year had more earthquakes in general, just in the past few years. M6-9's. Like I said, it's normal.

The increase of active volcanoes has jumped as well.

Ms.Marvel
the worlds ending duh.

its time for me to find a religion. at a toss up between Mormonism and islam.

Prep-Man
The world will be here, but humans won't. stick out tongue

Ms.Marvel
islamic celebrations tend to involve great food, but Mormons get to ride bicycles! eek!

Bicnarok
But Rastafarians get to smoke pot, a daft religion but aint they allsmile

dadudemon
The reason I'm not counting this year (which has had more destructive eq's than previous) is because it's not over yet. Numbers do show that the M6-9 have increased in past decades. I never meant that this year had more earthquakes in general, just in the past few years. M6-9's. Like I said, it's normal.

The increase of active volcanoes has jumped as well.

Again, you're using the fact that the earthquake hit populated areas instead of unpopulated ones like the majority do. That shouldn't count worth anything.

Here's the facts: Earthquake frequency has gone down the last 3 years, with 2007 seeing more than normal. There have been previous years that saw many more 7+ magnitude earthquakes than the monthly average of this year.

And, I don't know about those volcanoes. I'll check on that and be right back.

Rogue Jedi
But Rastafarians get to smoke pot, a daft religion but aint they allsmile I smoked pot with some Rasta's last year. ****ers roll REAL joints, man, big as my finger.

inimalist
also know as tampons wink

Rogue Jedi

inimalist
no jokes, bust that out next time

dadudemon
Just checked on the volcanic eruptions.

Looks like, year to date, 2009 has this year beat a three times over.

Looks like less, this year.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/quarterly.php?cat_id=12&y=2009&q=1

Prep-Man
Again, you're using the fact that the earthquake hit populated areas instead of unpopulated ones like the majority do. That shouldn't count worth anything.

Here's the facts: Earthquake frequency has gone down the last 3 years, with 2007 seeing more than normal. There have been previous years that saw many more 7+ magnitude earthquakes than the monthly average of this year.

And, I don't know about those volcanoes. I'll check on that and be right back.

I'm not using populated vs unpopulated. I'm using M6-9's. 5's and below are decreasing. While higher magnitues are increasing.

§P0oONY
This volcano has officially caused more chaos than 9/11, suck on that terrorists.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.