Score One For Pirates!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Symmetric Chaos
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/04/us-government-finally-admits-most-piracy-estimates-are-bogus.ars

The Government Accountability Office has officially called bullshit on industry claims about the effects of music/movie piracy. They say that while the problem is obviously real pretty much everything claimed by the industry is based on nothing.

Yes, nerds have been crying about this for years but it's nice to know that someone (in the government!) sat down and did the work.

inimalist
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Yes, nerds have been crying about this for years but it's nice to know that someone (in the government!) sat down and did the work.

and how!

I've always been pessemistic about net freedom, this might be a step in the right direction though...

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/04/us-government-finally-admits-most-piracy-estimates-are-bogus.ars

The Government Accountability Office has officially called bullshit on industry claims about the effects of music/movie piracy. They say that while the problem is obviously real pretty much everything claimed by the industry is based on nothing.

Yes, nerds have been crying about this for years but it's nice to know that someone (in the government!) sat down and did the work. Cuz you are a pirate!

Robtard
While piracy is wrong; there's no denying that, those wronged don't have the right to cry a larger grievance than it factually is.

§P0oONY
I don't download music illegally anymore... I still don't buy it though. I simply stream it off Sky Songs and Spotify.

Shakyamunison

Bardock42

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I thought you were going to say: "I don't download music illegally anymore... I have everything now" laughing out loud Haha, that would be awesome.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Bardock42
Talkin bout spotify: http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2010/how-much-do-music-artists-earn-online/ The artist getting money really isn't that important to me really. There will always be someone else out there to listen to if a band or artist don't think they're being fairly compensated.

Does make intersting reading though.

inimalist
Originally posted by Robtard
While piracy is wrong; there's no denying that, those wronged don't have the right to cry a larger grievance than it factually is.

considering the corporate monopoly on all other major music outlets...

actually, you have to give apple credit for this: itunes was there right after napster. Like, before audiogalaxy iirc.

tom_servo
Originally posted by inimalist
considering the corporate monopoly on all other major music outlets...

actually, you have to give apple credit for this: itunes was there right after napster. Like, before audiogalaxy iirc.

Sadly, I remember Audiogalaxy.

....I remember how much it sucked.

REXXXX
I still purchase from iTunes, but good to hear that we're not slowly destroying society by torrenting.

Digi
I buy my comics, and have only torrented when I enter tournaments here and it's physically and monetarily impossible to do the necessary research for them without torrents. Then I delete them when I'm done.

I have an issue with certain copyright laws where the creator(s) is/are deceased. I have no moral qualms downloading such material. Disney petitioning Congress to extend copyright dates every time Mickey Mouse is about to enter the public domain is responsible for some of it, though I'm not sure they've done that for some time. Same with anything that's out of print and not available through traditional means. Living artists, authors, filmmakers, etc. are another matter entirely, and I disagree with stealing any of their material.

But still, good article.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Digi
Same with anything that's out of print and not available through traditional means. Living artists, authors, filmmakers, etc. are another matter entirely, and I disagree with stealing any of their material.

But still, good article.

same, if i can get it through reasonable means I will if not im likely to download.

kangyuta

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.