The most suspensful/tense scenes in cinema.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
What scenes from film have made you clutch the seats with anticipation and/or dread? Any suspenseful scenes that have shaken you wide awake?

Mine are:

-The adrenaline shot from Pulp Fiction

-The striking of the match to activate the fire stone in the climax of The Fifth Element.

-The bucket scene in Carrie.

-Doc Brown fumbling around trying to reconnect the wires in the climax of Back to the Future.

-Bilbo's angry face when he see the One Ring for the last time on Frodo's necklace from LOTR: TFOTR.

-Marathon Man "Is it safe"?

-The famous "How am I funny"? scene in Goodfellas.

I'll think of more later.

Myth
A good recent example is the opening scene in Inglorious Basterds.

roughrider
Halloween(1978) - When Jamie Lee Curtis encounters Michael Myers for the first time in that dark house. The scene builds to almost unbearable scariness.

Scythe
F*ck, so many. It'll take me awhile to compile a list, but right off the top of my head, the bomb scene at the end of TDK.

Rogue Jedi
7q4QTlrvayI

Darth Martin
Originally posted by roughrider
Halloween(1978) - When Jamie Lee Curtis encounters Michael Myers for the first time in that dark house. The scene builds to almost unbearable scariness. roll eyes (sarcastic) There's nothing genuinely scary about that film.

Sadako of Girth
Deckard only just making that jump onto the other roof in Blade Runner.

Indiana Jones racing to get under that closing door in the opening Raiders, being chased by the boulder.

The last 20 mins of Alien.

The bit where McClane is stuck in that vent in Die Hard, and Karl is shooting the shit out of the vent from below...the moment of suspense as it looks like he has found McClane just before Karl is called away.
The elevator shaft fall scene.

The buildup and final attack in Ringu.

The attic scene at the beginning of "The Grudge"
The office building scene.

H. S. 6
Paranormal Activity literally had me on the edge of my seat during the scene when she was pulled off the bed.

WickedDynamite
The Dummy scene in Argento's Deep Red.

The swimming teens in Jaws.

The Family killing in Haute Tension.

The first death in Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

And my all time fave....the arrival of the Cenobites in Hellraiser.

SnakeEyes
When Michael Corleone has to assassinate those two guys in that restuarant in the first Godfather.

Sadako of Girth
Holy f**k yeah. Good picks, guys.

Rogue Jedi
When Brody killed Jaws in the first Jaws movie.

darthmaul1
Aliens special edition scene with the sentury guns.
Terminator 2 when arnie sees John in the hallway and then you realise he is there to protect him.
Then climax of arlington road.
start of cliff hanger.
what happened right after sam jacksons speech in deep blue sea.

steverules_2
Die hard 4.0 waiting for Mac to say yippee kai motherf*cker

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
When Michael Corleone has to assassinate those two guys in that restuarant in the first Godfather.

That's whats cool about the Godfather. That scene is so great in building up suspense that it is later surpass by the killing of the families later in the film.

Both scenes loaded with suspence and murder...can't top that...

Good choice.

BackFire
The scene in The Shining when Scatman Crothers arrives back at the Overlook, before his death.

Also the end of Unitied 93, when they rush the hijackers, probably the most intense scene I've ever experienced.

Sadako of Girth
Holy f**k yeah.... The crazy thing about united 93 is that the experience and tension, and will for the passengers to win is existant in the face of knowing how it comes out every time, (Even if they left out the whole US military shooting them down, maybe after they regained control thing) and is a real dependable nail biter every time.

Impediment
I watched United 93 once. I have to admit: I just wasn't all that impressed.

Robtard
Watched parts of it, I laughed when they threw the boiling water on the Arab's face.

Impediment
Sweeney Todd.

When Todd is shaving the judge's face. I was waiting on edge for Todd to do the bastard.

Nephthys
End of Evangelion has a tense moment when Shinji starts to strangle Asuka. Theres just so much history and emotion there. Theres also the part in the series when no-one moves for a minute untill Shinji finally pops that guy.

Blinky
One of the most tense scenes I've seen in any movie is the prelude to the final shoot-out scene in The Wild Bunch. When General Machete slits open Angel's throat, then he is shot. There is a extremely tense few seconds where nobody is moving and at any second you know the blood-bath will begin. During those few seconds, you can't help but think ;"Ohhhhhh shit! They're gonna get wasted now".

Tired-Hiker
The cop/ear scene in Resivoir Dogs. Also, when Tim Roth is telling the kamode story, where all those cops stare at him while he uses the hand dryer.

The end of Alien, as someone else already stated.

The moment before Mel Gibson pulls Danny Glover off the toilet seat in Lethal Weapon 2.

Bruce Willis going back to his apartment to get his gold watch in Pulp Fiction, then dealing with Marcellas Wallace and Zed.

The baby carriage rolling down the steps in slow motion in The Untouchables.

Leonardo DiCaprio climbing up the water tower in What's Eatng Gilbert Grape.

The interrogation scene between Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper in True Romance.

The last thirty minutes of The Pianist when Adrian Brody is alone and scavenging to stay alive.

The end of Life Is Beautiful when the dad is spiralling towards a dead end, while creating the illusion that everything is fine for his son's well being.

Chuck Yeager surviving his plane crash at the end of The Right Stuff.

Full Metal Jacket, the moments before Leonard becomes suicidal.

OMG, so many many many more......

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Tired-Hiker
Full Metal Jacket, the moments before Leonard becomes suicidal. Agreed.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Darth Martin
roll eyes (sarcastic) There's nothing genuinely scary about that film.

That movie's ****ing scary.

Mr. Rhythmic
o_ff46b58Hk

Mr. Rhythmic
ohU16OiduUs

jaden101
The scene when Hudson and Vasquez pick up movement on the tracking sensors and then they retreat back to the room and weld the door shut.

OnlyCoolMovies
What about Schindler's List when the nazi officer, played by Ralph Fiennes, tries to execute the factory worker but both his weapons jam? That was pretty tense.

dadudemon
The scene where the Sultan is trying to put the giraffe on that to stack of animal figurines. It was so intense as he was slowly trying to place it on the top of that stack without knocking everything over and you just get the feeling to lean in on the screen. As he is very carefully tries to place the figurine, the Sultan leans forward, tongue slightly out, in intense concentration, to complete the ultimate figurine tower..

The viewer starts to sweat....

then.....

BOOOOM!

Jafar busts in and knocks the whole tower down. Everyone should jump at that part: even quadriplegics.

roughrider
Originally posted by Tired-Hiker
Also, when Tim Roth is telling the kamode story, where all those cops stare at him while he uses the hand dryer.

But we know from the beginning it's a story he's making up, to impress Joe and get involved with his crew of thieves. We get scenes where he's rehearsing it beforehand. Hard to feel any jeopardy when he tells it.

Stall_19
The entire ending sequence of the Korean film "The Chaser" Such a well done thriller.

ADarksideJedi
Alot comes to mind

Whatever happen to Baby Jane
Psyho(black and white)
Birds

marwash22
'Teeth' - don't wanna spoil it, if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.
'Se7en' - the box scene
'Deliverance' - the banjo scene
'Audition' - the piano wire scene
'American History X' - the curbstomp scene
'Misery' - the hammer scene
'Ichi the Killer' - the tongue scene
'Irreversible' - the rape and fire extinguisher scene
'Saw' - the hacksaw scene

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
That movie's ****ing scary. Far from it actually.

Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
o_ff46b58Hk That's more like it.

Impediment
Bump.

Any new thoughts?

BloodRawEngine
The two rigged boats in The Dark Knight, particularly the boat with the prisoners.

COG Veteran
Originally posted by BloodRawEngine
The two rigged boats in The Dark Knight, particularly the boat with the prisoners.

Probably the best one ever.

golem370
Rambo ripping the throat of the guy about to rape/kill the girl in Rambo also the tall boy bomb in Rambo blowing up and the final fight scene in Rambo.

COG Veteran
Indy Jones and enemy's trying to figure out which cup is the real holy grail.

Darth Martin
The scene where Eric Bana sets off the explosion in Munic during the hotel sequence.

Lord Lucien
Half of Gravity.

Firefly218
Sitting in the theater wondering when the phantom menace was gonna get good was pretty suspenseful

Esau Cairn
The opening to Cliffhanger where Stallone's trying to save the woman....and fails.

I honestly did not expect her to fall & was shocked at such a suspenseful opening.

dynamix
The "toss the coin scene" in No Country for Old Men was pretty intense.

siriuswriter
Gangs of New York, at the party - when Bill the Butcher starts throwing knives at Jenny, and you wonder - does he still like her and is he just wowing the crowd? or does he want her to feel scared? & so on, basically that whole scene.

Firefly218
The first time I saw final destination

Lestov16
Any scene in which Chigurh interacts with another person in NCFOM is damn near frightening.

Mindship
There are sooo many, even from one movie.

- First to come to mind, a scene from "Goodfellas," where Billy Batts is gettin' his with Donovan's "Atlantis" playing in the background...

"Way down below the ocean where I wanna be, she may be..."

Also:

- Many from "Paranormal Activity." For example...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_O6xLvXpZlOU/SvOMe2y7BzI/AAAAAAAACVI/brgmjr5jL1I/s400/paranormal+activity+katie+staring.jpg

- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo ... first getting it from her counselor, then getting even.

- Chestburster!

Sooo many...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.