Whats the biggest Star/Sun in the world?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Colossus-Big C
i have read about it somewhere but i cant remember the name i think it started what a sol

inimalist
this thread's title makes my brain shirt circuit

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
i have read about it somewhere but i cant remember the name i think it started what a sol I don't know, I don't follow Hollywood...

no expression

Symmetric Chaos
Try This

Originally posted by inimalist

Yeah.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Try This

Yeah. Holy Crap! how did you do that?

Symmetric Chaos
www.lmgtfy.com

Dr Will Hatch
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star

Ordo
Whats the biggest Star/Sun in the world?

Originally posted by The first return on Google
"My six-year old daughter is a question asking machine. We were driving home from school a couple of days ago, and she was grilling me about the nature of the Universe. One of her zingers was this, "What's the Biggest Star in the Universe"?"

you < 6 year old girl

Ms.Marvel
crylaugh

Mindset
The world is a pretty big place, there are probably millions of stars we don't even know about.

Don't even get me started on the universe.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Mindset
The world is a pretty big place, there are probably millions of stars we don't even know about.

No, I'm 99% confident that we know about all the stars in the world.

§P0oONY
No, I'm 99% confident that we know about all the stars in the world. When the next Brad Pitt shows up you'll look such a fool.

StyleTime
Um....anyone else think Colossus-Big C still might not realize...that... you know...

After all this, it'd be pretty effin' funny though.

Bicnarok

Mindship
http://ldbeams.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/kirstie-alley_jenny20craig.jpg

Any larger and the Great Attractor will lose its grip on the Virgo Supercluster.

lord xyz
Oh Colossus, you make me chuckle.

Bardock42

He makes my shirt brain-circuit hmm

Shakyamunison
i have read about it somewhere but i cant remember the name i think it started what a sol

There are no star/suns in the world. However, there are a lot of stars in the universe. The biggest star in the universe is... we have no idea. After all, it is a very big universe. big grin

Deja~vu
Originally posted by Mindship
http://ldbeams.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/kirstie-alley_jenny20craig.jpg

Any larger and the Great Attractor will lose its grip on the Virgo Supercluster. laughing out loud

As long as she doesn't implode.

Deano
the biggest one in the universe we know about is canis majoris

it is mind blowingly huge!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cc/Star-sizes.jpg/800px-Star-sizes.jpg

earth is a microbe compared to it

Colossus-Big C
this is why we need unlimited editing time......

Colossus-Big C
also is crazy how theres stars the size of friggen solar system out there

Shakyamunison
also is crazy how theres stars the size of friggen solar system out there

If you also count black holes as dark stars, then there are some out there that are even bigger.

Colossus-Big C
edit: did some research and apperently theres some stars bigger than our galaxy

a galaxy contains billions of solar systems

this is juts crazy..

Symmetric Chaos

No. No there aren't.

Colossus-Big C
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

if you had a tv with a huge star on it.
our star compared to it would be a pixle in size.
and theres stars far much bigger than that too

Colossus-Big C
No. No there aren't. watch the vid, theres a star like a fourth way into the video that would hold our solar system. and the one after it would make it look like a microbe

Symmetric Chaos
watch the vid, theres a star like a fourth way into the video that would hold our solar system. and the one after it would make it look like a microbe

Still not bigger than the galaxy.

Mindship
watch the vid, theres a star like a fourth way into the video that would hold our solar system. and the one after it would make it look like a microbe VY Canis Majoris is about 2.5 light hours in diameter. The Milky Way is about 100,000 light years in diameter.
Our Galaxy is over 350 million times the size of Canis Majoris.

smokin'

Bardock42
VY Canis Majoris is about 2.5 light hours in diameter. The Milky Way is about 100,000 light years in diameter.

smokin'

One major indication for me that vy canis majoris might be smaller than the galaxy was that it is part of it. What's your take on that? hmm

Mindset
Originally posted by Bardock42
One major indication for me that vy canis majoris might be smaller than the galaxy was that it is part of it. What's your take on that? hmm That's nonsense.

You're talking nonsense!

Bardock42
That's nonsense.

You're talking nonsense!

OKAY OKAY YOU ARE RIGHT....smaller or equal to hmm

lord xyz
This thread made me watch the pale blue dot.

Awesome stuff.

Colossus-Big C
VY Canis Majoris is about 2.5 light hours in diameter. The Milky Way is about 100,000 light years in diameter.

smokin' considering the size of a galaxy and planets and stars that are quintillions upon quintilions smaller than the galaxy and a star being only 350 million times smaller than a galaxy is still crazy

Mindship
One major indication for me that vy canis majoris might be smaller than the galaxy was that it is part of it. What's your take on that? hmm It's tricky. Because of the Great Attractor, our galaxy and canis majoris are subject to a peculiar form of gravitational lensing, called Ames room lensing. Some say dark matter's involved; others say dark matter doesn't matter.

considering the size of a galaxy and planets and stars that are quintillions upon quintilions smaller than the galaxy and a star being only 350 million times smaller than a galaxy is still crazy A star with the circumference of Saturn's orbit is impressive.

inimalist
Some say dark matter's involved; others say dark matter doesn't matter.

let the records show I've been saying this for years

Shakyamunison
let the records show I've been saying this for years

That dark matter is involved, or that dark matter does not matter?

inimalist
the latter, of course

Colossus-Big C
the latter?
dark matter doesnt matter?

Shakyamunison
the latter?
dark matter doesnt matter?

Ya, he's a raciest. laughing

inimalist
ya, seriously, **** it

its like some damn moody emo matter anyways, all cutting its wrists in a corner and pissed off because nobody pays any attention to it. In a few years it will look back on this 'dark' phase and we will all be able to have a laugh at how absurd it was. Seriously though, adolescence can be a tough time for some, and expressing a dark persona can be a way people cope with massive changes in their social and physical realms

inimalist
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Ya, he's a raciest. laughing

ha, I didn't think about going that way with it...

Shakyamunison
ya, seriously, **** it

its like some damn moody emo matter anyways, all cutting its wrists in a corner and pissed off because nobody pays any attention to it. In a few years it will look back on this 'dark' phase and we will all be able to have a laugh at how absurd it was. Seriously though, adolescence can be a tough time for some, and expressing a dark persona can be a way people cope with massive changes in their social and physical realms

I wonder what you have to say about dark energy. laughing out loud

Symmetric Chaos
I wonder what you have to say about dark energy. laughing out loud

If you use it to do something you get black power.

Shakyamunison
If you move it around you get black power.

Expanding black power? laughing out loud Ok, time to close this thread. wink

inimalist
If you use it to do something you get black power.

http://bycommonconsent.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/july_2008_1968_olympic_protest.jpg

Colossus-Big C
so basicaly black people are black because there atoms are black?
o

inimalist
their energy

Colossus-Big C
brilliant

Mindship
"Look what they've done to your thread, C
Look what they've done to your thread
You ask a question, we get on your case
Reminds me of this song, C
Look what they've done to your thread."

Bicnarok
so basicaly black people are black because there atoms are black?
o

No according to Mormons its because they remained neutral in Gods battle with the demons, so they were born with black skin. See below vid at 2:15 smile

jFZ1jVO3-OE

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bicnarok
No according to Mormons its because they remained neutral in Gods battle with the demons, so they were born with black skin. See below vid at 2:15 smile

jFZ1jVO3-OE
laughing laughing laughing

Not only do we not believe that, we actually talked about why we don't believe that, about a couple of years ago, as part of the standard Sunday School Curriculum.

However, I love these types of ideas as they make me laugh. The funniest one is the blood sacrifices we supposedly do in our temples. People have run out of things to make up about us, so they are reduced to making fanciful things up now.

Mindset

jFZ1jVO3-OE Lol, I just watched that last night.

Originally posted by dadudemon

Not only do we not believe that, we actually talked about why we don't believe that, about a couple of years ago, as part of the standard Sunday School Curriculum.
That's just what you want us to think. tehe

Bardock42
If you use it to do something you get black power. Originally posted by inimalist
http://bycommonconsent.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/july_2008_1968_olympic_protest.jpg

I love you, guys.

inimalist
However, I love these types of ideas as they make me laugh. The funniest one is the blood sacrifices we supposedly do in our temples. People have run out of things to make up about us, so they are reduced to making fanciful things up now.

I'm totally going to write a paper some day about how every "them" group is given the exact-****ing-same negative qualities.

Sodomy, blood sacrifice, lack of manners, big penises...

I don't know, I'm sure they don't all apply to all situations, but its just weird to me.

Bardock42

jFZ1jVO3-OE

...endless celestial sex...

...the mormon jesus...

Really, though, Joseph Smith was awesome, he had lots of hottie wives, and had a most badass death...

dadudemon
I'm totally going to write a paper some day about how every "them" group is given the exact-****ing-same negative qualities.

Sodomy, blood sacrifice, lack of manners, big penises...

I don't know, I'm sure they don't all apply to all situations, but its just weird to me.

In this instance, "they" = antimormons. Was it not obvious? I thought it was.

But, "Them" is a horror movie from the 50s B era.

dadudemon
and had a most badass death...

Getting a few caps busted in your @ss and then falling to your death isn't a romantic way to go, imo.

King Kandy

I know, especially when the stuff you actually do do (like posthumous baptism and marriage) is weird enough.

Bardock42
Getting a few caps busted in your @ss and then falling to your death isn't a romantic way to go, imo.

That's not how I picture it. I think what happened was that he got attacked by an angry mob of about 30 000 people with machine guns, when they started fire he immediately grabbed his brother and used him as a human shield, then he pulled a gun he had smuggled into prison IN HIS ASS, and shot about 500 of the attackers, with each bullet killing at least 2 of the mob and constantly yelling out how he ****ed every single of their mothers, sisters and daughters and a few hot, effeminate sons. After about two hours of that and having taking about 300 exploding bullets to his face and chest, brushing them off like it was nothing, he tossed his brother's lifeless body at the mob killing about 10 more from the impact, then ran to the window screaming "**** YOU MOTHER****ERS, I'LL SEE YOU IN HELL" he jumped out of the window, dropping fifty stories never stopping shooting at anyone that dared showing their face at the window and on impact it flattened at least five surrounding blocks . There were some accounts that he survived the fall, but decided "**** it, I decide when I die" and then broke his own neck DKR style.

Dude had balls, all I'm sayin'

WickedDynamite
You want Stars and Sun?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3e/Sun_front.jpg

I'm out of jokes this morning....

kgkg

a galaxy contains billions of solar systems

this is juts crazy.. There isn't a star that big. It's impossible to have mass of on entire galaxy in one Star. Even massive Black hole at the centers of Galaxy don't more mass that are =< than an entire Galaxy.

The Biggest Stars are comparable to the size of a Solar System.

Mindset
Originally posted by kgkg
It's impossible to have mass of on entire galaxy in one Star. Why?

dadudemon
Originally posted by King Kandy
I know, especially when the stuff you actually do do (like posthumous baptism and marriage) is weird enough.

I know, right? Have a perfect plan of salvation that accounts for every last person is really lame. You'd think everyone would be content with billions of people going to hell with only a few "chosen" ones getting a random chance at heaven. But, nooooo, the Mormons had to think of all angles and save everyone.

Shakyamunison
Why?

Gravity. If you have enough mass in making a star, you make a black hole instead. We don't know if there is a limit to the size of a black hole.

Mindset
Gravity. If you have enough mass in making a star, you make a black hole instead. We don't know if there is a limit to the size of a black hole. So it's improbable, not impossible.

Shakyamunison
So it's improbable, not impossible.

It might be impossible, if you count black holes as dark stars. As a black hole grows in size, the distance between the singularity and the event horizon grows. As this distance grows, the effect of gravity at the event horizon diminishes. Theoretically you could have a black hole that is so big that matter may not be pulled into it, because the gravity at the event horizon is so low. But this is pure speculation on my part.

Mindset
I read this article about stars colliding and momentarily combining.

But then I smoked a bowel and forgot what it said.

Shakyamunison

It is 420 after all. laughing

Symmetric Chaos

No, impossible.

Consider:
The Schwarzchild radius for the Milky Way is about 10^12 kilometers.
If you took all the mass in the Milky Way, turned it into pure hydrogen and packed it into a ball it would have a radius of just 10^11 kilometers.

Since actual stars are much denser than hydrogen we can conclude that a star with the mass of a galaxy will inevitably collapse into a black hole.

Mindship
It is 420 after all. laughing
thumbup1 T minus 7 and counting...

Robtard

It's Hitler's Birthday, have a little respect.

dadudemon

That's pretty ****in' sick, smoking a bowel. sick sick sick

Shakyamunison
That's pretty ****in' sick, smoking a bowel. sick sick sick

I think it was made from hemp. wink

Mindset
That's pretty ****in' sick, smoking a bowel. sick sick sick It was the bowel of a stoner.

Super potent.

kgkg

Symmetric Chaos

King Kandy
I know, right? Have a perfect plan of salvation that accounts for every last person is really lame. You'd think everyone would be content with billions of people going to hell with only a few "chosen" ones getting a random chance at heaven. But, nooooo, the Mormons had to think of all angles and save everyone.
That's such a load of BS. If someone's life couldn't get them in heaven, why would God care what others who don't stand for them did posthumously? It says nothing about the person.

dadudemon
Originally posted by King Kandy
That's such a load of BS. If someone's life couldn't get them in heaven, why would God care what others who don't stand for them did posthumously? It says nothing about the person.

That's because you are not aware that there is an existance after this life, but before judgement day, where the person can chose to accept or deny the ordinances done on their behalf.

smile

Why would a person chose to deny the ordinances done on their behalf? It is much harder to accept the plan of salvation as a spirit that willingly did evil, knowing it was wrong.

inimalist

impossible

a star can be thought of as a huge furnace pouring out just enough energy so that gravity doesn't pull it together. Too much energy, and all of the atoms would just spew out in all directions, too little, and it collapes.

So, the energy at the core of a star comes from fusion. We tend to talk about Hydorgen (1+ 1n particles in the atomic nucleus), but bigger and hotter stars can actually fuse more complex substances. What happens are then layers of fusion, Hydrogen at the outer, then oxygen, etc.

The biggest and hottest stars in the universe are thought to only comprise of 4 or 5 such layers (I only took first year astronomy, 5 years ago, so this is not the word of god), however, there is a theoretical limit. This is because, to move up to fusing higher order elements in their core, stars would require exponential increases in power produced. To move above the current theoretical limit of 4/5 layers would, iirc, require more energy than exists in the universe.

Mindset
How much energy exists in the universe?

Approximation, of course.

inimalist
no clue whatsoever...

oh, actually:

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2006/KristineMcPherson.shtml

or: "The calculated mass of the universe ranges anywhere from 10^53 kg to 10^60 kg"

because mass can be considered equivalent to energy, apparently...

I'm not a physcist by any stretch of the imagination

Bardock42

5 ziblits.

A ziblit is defined as 1/5th of the energy in the universe, I think hmm

Mindset
Is a ziblit the same as a yorbrat?

Symmetric Chaos

The conservative guess would be (10^53)*c^2 which is about 9*10^69 Joules. But this leaves out all the energy that exists in the form of massless particles like light.

Mindship
Hard to say, given 75% of it is a complete mystery.

kgkg
Hard to say, given 75% of it is a complete mystery. Approximation is still possible considering you can calculate Mass/Energy with spatial curvature caused by the force of Gravity.

This is the reason why we know that visible matter makes up only 5% of the observable universe and darkmater makes out about 23% and the 72% is darkenergy.

So we can calculate the mass of visible energy/mass and invisible matter and energy.

Mindship
Approximation is still possible considering you can calculate Mass/Energy with spatial curvature caused by the force of Gravity.

This is the reason why we know that visible matter makes up only 5% of the observable universe and darkmater makes out about 23% and the 72% is darkenergy.

So we can calculate the mass of visible energy/mass and invisible matter and energy. Isn't 'approximation' implied by 'hard to say'? As in, "Well, it's hard to say; I can't give you an exact figure."

stick out tongue

dadudemon
Isn't 'approximation' implied by 'hard to say'? As in, "Well, it's hard to say; I can't give you an exact figure."

stick out tongue

Well, if you looked like kgkg's avatar/sig, I'd give you a nice "figure." Teehee

kgkg
Isn't 'approximation' implied by 'hard to say'? As in, "Well, it's hard to say; I can't give you an exact figure."

stick out tongue Yes but it has nothing to do with darkmatter/energy being a complete mystery. What I was trying to say was that we can calculate what we know and what we don't know pretty much at the similar accuracy level. stick out tongue

You still have the Surfer sig heh

Mindship
You still have the Surfer sig heh It meets my signature needs. cool

Mindset
Mindship, you have a great name. smart

Shakyamunison
Mindship, you have a great name. smart

He's a good writer too. big grin

Mindship
Mindship, you have a great name. smart At last, an unbiased opinion.

He's a good writer too. big grin At last, an unbiased opinion.

Shakyamunison
At last, an unbiased opinion.

At last, an unbiased opinion.

You must get a lot of biased opinions. cool

Mindship
You must get a lot of biased opinions. cool Too few backed by $$$$$$.

Well, if you looked like kgkg's avatar/sig, I'd give you a nice "figure." Teehee Then I'm in deep sh*t.

Shakyamunison
Too few backed by $$$$$$...

Ya, I can relate. It took me almost a year to talk a friend of mine into buying a CD. laughing out loud stick out tongue

Colossus-Big C
if a star bigger than a solar system(like the ones in the video)
Explodes in the milkey way would the earth be safe?

Shakyamunison
if a star bigger than a solar system(like the ones in the video)
Explodes in the milkey way would the earth be safe?

If the Earth was more then 6,000 ly away, then the Earth would be safe.

Colossus-Big C
wouldnt cause a chain reaction and cause other stars to explode?

Shakyamunison
wouldnt cause a chain reaction and cause other stars to explode?

If another star was in orbit around the exploding star, then it could be caused to explode, but there is a lot of examples of binary star systems where one star is a nova remnant, and the partner is fine. There are also examples of stars that have gone nova within closed clusters, and the neighboring stars are just fine.

Mindship
Ya, I can relate. It took me almost a year to talk a friend of mine into buying a CD. laughing out loud stick out tongue laughing out loud What a lamebrain. wink

Shakyamunison
laughing out loud What a lamebrain. wink

Ya, that is what I was thinking. stick out tongue

kangyuta
the biggest one in the universe we know about is canis majoris

it is mind blowingly huge!

If you fall for one of these at best you will lose thousands of dollars; at worst you will lose your life. These usually start with an email from a bank official or the relative of a recently deceased African president or a government minister informing you that they have new york escort access to millions of dollars but need your help to get the money out of the country. The end result is that when the deal is threatened you will new york asian escort be asked for money to secure the release of the funds. Do not new york escorts under any circumstances reply to these letters, people have been murdered while following up with these scams.PhishingPhishing scams can be very elaborate, scammers send out emails to millions of internet addresses purporting to be from a financial institution, and requiring you to log in and new york asian escorts confirm your details. The email looks authentic and contains a link that you need to click.

earth is a microbe compared to it

I can't dislike you, but I will say this to you: you haven't got long before you are all going to kill yourselves, because you are all crazy. And you can project it back at me ... but I am only what lives inside each and every one of you.

appleptree
So much stars in my mind, i can't decide.

Enyalus

kgkg

Symmetric Chaos
This could be great news for String theory if they can find gravitons<or lack of since they are presumed to escape to higher dimensions>.

"We found gravitons." "Hooray they're proven!"

"We didn't find gravitons." "Hooray they escaped into another dimension just like we said!"

I just hope the find the Higgs Boson, atheists really need a god that they can point to.

Enyalus
atheists really need a god
laughing out loud

kgkg
"We found gravitons." "Hooray they're proven!"

"We didn't find gravitons." "Hooray they escaped into another dimension just like we said!"

I just hope the find the Higgs Boson, atheists really need a god that they can point to. Win Win situation?

Mindship
Looks like we have a new champion, sort of...

http://www.aolnews.com/science/article/biggest-ever-star-found-millions-times-brighter-than-sun/19563006

VY Canis Majoris still holds the title of universe's most voluminous star, but this new guy -- R136a1 -- is the apparent record breaker for sheer mass.

Personally, I find volume more impressive than mass, but astronomers may feel otherwise.

Parmaniac
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8104/planetenvergleich4.th.jpghttp://img594.imageshack.us/img594/7951/planetenvergleich5.th.jpghttp://img189.imageshack.us/img189/565/planetenvergleich6.th.jpghttp://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7681/planetenvergleich7.th.jpg

Mindship
Canis Majoris is bigger.

Parmaniac
Canis Majoris is bigger. Must... resist... your mom joke...

Bardock42
Canis Majoris is bigger.

So is my penis.

Symmetric Chaos
Looks like we have a new champion, sort of...

http://www.aolnews.com/science/article/biggest-ever-star-found-millions-times-brighter-than-sun/19563006

VY Canis Majoris still holds the title of universe's most voluminous star, but this new guy -- R136a1 -- is the apparent record breaker for sheer mass.

Personally, I find volume more impressive than mass, but astronomers may feel otherwise.

Mass lets it control time. Volume just make it fat.

Mindship
Originally posted by Parmaniac
Must... resist... your mom joke... laughing out loud

And for some reason, I heard that in Cap'n Kirk voice.

DamienB
polarus and venus are the brightest

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by DamienB
polarus and venus are the brightest

Venus is a planet, and Polaris is not all the bright.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.