Buccaneer Caribbean Pirate vs A Spartan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wild Shadow
battle takes place on the sandy beaches of Greece herself... high noon..

1. 1 on 1

2. the famous 300 spartans and army who fought cercis vs The pirates and ship

this is not the movie versions by the way i am just using their images b/c it looks cool

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2008/10/01-07/JackSparrow300.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/150/430332917_67d72ee31c.jpg

Mindset
Pirates have guns.

Symmetric Chaos
The Spartans offer to "negotiate".

Lord Lucien
Pirates have guns. Spartans have cercis.

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
The Spartans offer to "negotiate".

shifty

anyway. spartans have way better feats. i dont think pirates could take out the covenant.

Robtard
Pirate likely be drunk, so the Spartan easily rapes him, sexually rapes him.

It's Xerxes, btw.

Rogue Jedi
Jack Sparrow was always drunk and it never affected his aim.

Spire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhlHzYt4xRM&feature=related

Rogue Jedi
haermm

Wild Shadow
The Spartans offer to "negotiate". i dont get it.. embarrasment confused

BlackZero30x
pirates are screwed if they don't use their guns...even then could be screwed in the 2nd part....

-Pr-
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
i dont get it.. embarrasment confused

you ever see 300?

Wild Shadow
if i recall the spartans were talking about negotiating while they finish killing the wounded and being civil...

anyways how many pirates are on a full ship and what kinda weapons would they have?

One Free Man
Pirates would not actually be drunk during a fight. That's movie BS.

Enyalus
1) Blunderbuss FTW.

2) Pirate ships have...canons. As in plural. This one goes to the pirates, too. Clean sweep if they're being led by Captain Edward Reynolds, the greatest pirate hunter in the world.

Ms.Marvel
is he a a pirate who hunts or someone who hunts pirates? no expression

Rogue Jedi
Pirates cannon blast their asses from the sea.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
He was the only one awesome enough to convincingly beat the always-awesome Spartans consistently.

inimalist
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel

you mean a member of the royal navy then?

Robtard
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Pirates cannon blast their asses from the sea.

Four words:

Greek fire.

Amazing Vrayo!!
Originally posted by Robtard
Four words:

Greek fire. Wow, where should I begin with this? First off, Greek fire was not used by Spartans, but by Byzantines. Secondly, if we are talking about the "battle of thermopylae-based" Spartans, then those soldiers lived in the fourth century BC, while Greek Fire was invented in 672 AD. In other words, arguement completely disproved, GTFO, ty, goodbye. Oh and pirates take this by a long shot due to cannons that will blast right through bronze shields.

Liberator
Gentlemen gentlemen, it's quite obvious what would occur. Pirates were equipped with two swords, a batarang and most likely a nerf gun. The Spartans however were equipped with the finest military technology of the time, seven throwing dildo's and of course who could ever forget ... well thats another story entirely.

The Sparts could conceivebly catch the cannon balls throw them back, (or ride on top of them), and even walk on the water while dodging/throwing back bullets. The pirates would be back against a corner (the world is flat) and would have no choice but to go over the edge.

Case Closed.

Robtard
Originally posted by Amazing Vrayo!!
Wow, where should I begin with this? First off, Greek fire was not used by Spartans, but by Byzantines. Secondly, if we are talking about the "battle of thermopylae-based" Spartans, then those soldiers lived in the fourth century BC, while Greek Fire was invented in 672 AD. In other words, arguement completely disproved, GTFO, ty, goodbye. Oh and pirates take this by a long shot due to cannons that will blast right through bronze shields.

Two words:

Ha, fail.

Symmetric Chaos
The Buccaneers sail to Japan where they buy katanas that will cut through the Spartan shields and armor like butter.

One Free Man
battle takes place on the sandy beaches of Greece herself... high noon..

1. 1 on 1

2. the famous 300 spartans and army who fought cercis vs The pirates and ship

this is not the movie versions by the way i am just using their images b/c it looks cool

The spartans are on the beach and the pirates get their ship.

how in gods name are the spartans going to get the ship?

Pirates are smart. Sail along the beach, blasting the asshats with your cannons.

On a side note, did anyone else name their ships in "Sid Meier's Pirates" "the brown floater," and "it's a butt, a big butt?"

Robtard
The Buccaneers sail to Japan where they buy katanas that will cut through the Spartan shields and armor like butter.

What if this hypothetical fights takes place during Japan's Sakoku era? Didn't think about that, did ya, smart-guy.

inimalist
Originally posted by One Free Man
Pirates are smart. Sail along the beach, blasting the asshats with your cannons.

dude, did you SEE 300?

1500+ years of military technology and an overwhelming tactical advantage have nothing on those guys.

Symmetric Chaos
What if this hypothetical fights takes place during Japan's Sakoku era? Didn't think about that, did ya, smart-guy.

They'd grab a guy from France and tie a rope around him. Then toss him onto the Japanese shoreline and quickly pull him back. With luck a few katanas would get stuck in his body as the Sakoku period xenophobes stab at him.

Repeat until you have a canon load of katanas to fire at the Spartans.

Robtard
They'd grab a guy from France and tie a rope around him. Then toss him onto the Japanese shoreline and quickly pull him back. With luck a few katanas would get stuck in his body as the Sakoku period xenophobes stab at him.

Repeat until you have a canon load of katanas to fire at the Spartans.

That actually might work, especially if it's a fat Frenchmen. I'd make the rope out of Adamantium though, wouldn't want to lose a good Frenchmen to a cut rope in the process.

Amazing Vrayo!!
Two words:

Ha, fail. I hope you're talking about yourself.

Robtard
Originally posted by Amazing Vrayo!!
I hope you're talking about yourself.

Na, bro. Na.

Wild Shadow
okay.. here we go the 1on1 is at the beach the other fight is their famous last stand at the hot gates vs a pirate ship near the shore and however many pirates want to get off and engage them in battle..

Enyalus
WS, are the pirates subjected to the ninja rule?

inimalist
okay.. here we go the 1on1 is at the beach the other fight is their famous last stand at the hot gates vs a pirate ship near the shore and however many pirates want to get off and engage them in battle..

you really haven't given a way for the Spartans to counter cannon bombardment or gunfire. Its possible that the Greeks had access to arrows that would have been more accurate at a greater range than the pirate firearms, but the cannons on the ship would be devastating.

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Enyalus
WS, are the pirates subjected to the ninja rule? in a comic or movie yes, historically i would say no.. i guess if you can claim they were drunken cowards or were physically inferior somehow as an equivalent sure....

for now lets say the pirate ship is captain by black beard.

@inimanist

what about the walls the hot gates for protection?

Robtard
Originally posted by inimalist
you really haven't given a way for the Spartans to counter cannon bombardment or gunfire. Its possible that the Greeks had access to arrows that would have been more accurate at a greater range than the pirate firearms, but the cannons on the ship would be devastating.

Have you seen Gerard's abs? No canon is getting through that.

Enyalus
Have you seen Gerard's abs? No canon is getting through that.
Gerard's a Scot, not a Spartan. uhuh

inimalist
@inimanist

what about the walls the hot gates for protection?

well, I don't know for sure, but I'm going to assume that siege munitions from the 16-1700s would be apt at destroying walls and gates from ~500BC.

Even if it did offer some protection, there is no way for the Spartans to launch an effective counter attack against the ship, and I'd still give open combat to the pirates (most are militarily trained, carry guns, and have 2000 years of military tactics to fall back on).

Enyalus
well, I don't know for sure, but I'm going to assume that siege munitions from the 16-1700s would be apt at destroying walls and gates from ~500BC.
Just a quick note (for WS too), but Thermopylae didn't have any walls or gates. The name itself means the "Hot Gates" (thermo, pylon), there weren't any fortifications there. There was the shore at the Gulf of Malia, and then mountains right next to the shore, in addition to a small pass between the mountains (where the Spartans fought on the last day against the Persians).

Even if it did offer some protection, there is no way for the Spartans to launch an effective counter attack against the ship, and I'd still give open combat to the pirates (most are militarily trained, carry guns, and have 2000 years of military tactics to fall back on).

Meh, don't fall back on the 2,000 years of tactics deal. Remember that because of the Fall of Rome and the Dark Ages, progress in most areas was set back about a thousand years. I mean, in the Peloponnesian War the Spartans used flamethrowers in their sieges against the Athenians.

But the rest of it, I totally agree with you. Buccaneers usually carried two cutlasses with them, and between 2 to 6 flintlock pistols and/or blunderbusses (the Renaissance's equivalent of a hand-shotgun). Dudes were strapped.

Also, the Spartans at Thermopylae had helots who threw javelins and used slingshots, but they didn't have any archers with them and thus no way at all of attacking the ship or its canons from long-distance.

inimalist
Meh, don't fall back on the 2,000 years of tactics deal. Remember that because of the Fall of Rome and the Dark Ages, progress in most areas was set back about a thousand years.

in Eurpoe

by the age of pirates, however, much of what had been advanced in the Muslim world during the dark ages (not very aptly named though, as there was a great deal going on during those times, even within Eurpoe), as far as naval technology and warfare would have spread to Eurpoe.

The most telling evidence for the fact that Spartan tactics were outdated comes from the fact that they were abandoned by Eurpoeans and Muslims in favor of more developed military ideas. If the Franks really wanted Spartan soldiers, it was well within their power to do so, the fact is, they just had better.

/sigh, dark ages

I mean, in the Peloponnesian War the Spartans used flamethrowers in their sieges against the Athenians.

considering fire is one of the oldest technologies known to man, that it was employed in battle in ancient times is hardly surprising.

Im also sure the disadvantages of flame based combat were as apparent 2000 years ago as it is today.

Enyalus
The most telling evidence for the fact that Spartan tactics were outdated comes from the fact that they were abandoned by Eurpoeans and Muslims in favor of more developed military ideas. If the Franks really wanted Spartan soldiers, it was well within their power to do so, the fact is, they just had better.
Hell, Spartan tactics were outdated in 371 BC, when Thebes beat them. They didn't believe in combined arms theory. Nevertheless, the Anglo-Saxon army under Harold at Hastings used Spartan-like tactics (essentially closely packed, shield wall), the Swiss pike square was virtually a phalanx itself, and the Spanish tercio was based on that same principle and dominated the European battlefield until 1643.

stick out tongue Plenty of reason why the infantry tactics themselves are not outdated.

considering fire is one of the oldest technologies known to man, that it was employed in battle in ancient times is hardly surprising.

Im also sure the disadvantages of flame based combat were as apparent 2000 years ago as it is today.
Since when does fire equal flamethrower? I'm talking full tanks using bronze tubing and a siphon-like object to pressurize and then project the flames onto the enemy. Pretty advanced shit. It's impressive. mad

Amazing Vrayo!!
you really haven't given a way for the Spartans to counter cannon bombardment or gunfire. Its possible that the Greeks had access to arrows that would have been more accurate at a greater range than the pirate firearms, but the cannons on the ship would be devastating. Not to mention arrows wouldn't blast through the walls of the ship, and the cannons are in the hull, so even if the Spartans did have bows, it would be useless.

Robtard
Spartan's have spears and javelins; they have a further reach than those unreliable canons and are 700% more accurate. There's a reason why during a sea-battle, those ships would get as close as possible (within several feet sometimes) before opening fire on each other. Shit range and even shittier aim.

Pirates likely kill 2/3rds of their own with back-fires, too. So there's also that factor.

Amazing Vrayo!!
Spartan's have spears and javelins; they have a further reach than those unreliable canons and are 700% more accurate. There's a reason why during sea-battle, the ships would get as close as possible (within several feet) before opening fire on each other. No aim and no range.

Pirates likely kill 2/3rds of their own with back-fires, too. So there's also that factor. Just where do you get these "facts" and "statistics" from.

Robtard
Hollywood.

Enyalus
Hollywood.
If we're using Gerard's Spartans, then they use their spears to pole-vault from the shore line 100 ft away onto the deck of the pirate ship, while dodging and deflecting gunfire with their swords and pectoral muscles the entire time. cool

Robtard
If we're using Gerard's Spartans, then they use their spears to pole-vault from the shore line 100 ft away onto the deck of the pirate ship, while dodging and deflecting gunfire with their swords and pectoral muscles the entire time. cool

Don't even have to do that. One thrown spear could sink the ship.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.