Commando Remake

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
Its happening

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65602

dadudemon
Originally posted by Kazenji
Its happening

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65602

WTF?

I just read the synopsis. It says "less brawny but more skilled" or something.

WTH????

That's stupid.

Kidnapped daughter, retired special forces commando dude, goes after the attackers...but he's not brawny, he's skilled. erm

Might as well call it "Taken."

Commando was great how it was. Retarded to remake it. It's already going to be worse.

The Nuul
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Arnold's Commando is a classic, this new remake will FAIL!!!

Arnie's John Matrix is already skilled.

BruceSkywalker
since arnold is too old to make movies, i guess its time for a remake..

dunno if i will see this until i know who is casted

Myth
Originally posted by dadudemon
WTF?

I just read the synopsis. It says "less brawny but more skilled" or something.

WTH????

That's stupid.

Kidnapped daughter, retired special forces commando dude, goes after the attackers...but he's not brawny, he's skilled. erm

Might as well call it "Taken."

Commando was great how it was. Retarded to remake it. It's already going to be worse.

Agreed that it is dumb to remake it, but since they are, they definitely need a different twist on it, which is why I'm ok with it being more tactical. I hate it when they remake movies and don't try something different, because then it means there was absolutely no reasoning behind remaking it. Trying to make it "brawny" without Arnie (ooh, I rhymed) is a guaranteed disaster. Trying something knew with the story will probably be a disaster, but not as epic of one and it at least has a chance of giving us something different.

Ms.Marvel
it wont be new though.

it seems that every decade or so hollywood tries to "freshen things up" by going a different route, but the problem is that all of the movies go in that different route. In around the 70's to 90's it was unstoppable brawny killing machines, and just about every action movie was like that, then in the 2000's they decided to move more toward the tactical pseudo-realistic route, ala the bourne series, taken, etc. if they decide to make this movie more tactical and how will it be any different from taken? i mean even the plot is crazy identical...

Spartan005
this is just getting ridiculous now...

SnakeEyes
I'll pass.

Myth
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
it wont be new though.

it seems that every decade or so hollywood tries to "freshen things up" by going a different route, but the problem is that all of the movies go in that different route. In around the 70's to 90's it was unstoppable brawny killing machines, and just about every action movie was like that, then in the 2000's they decided to move more toward the tactical pseudo-realistic route, ala the bourne series, taken, etc. if they decide to make this movie more tactical and how will it be any different from taken? i mean even the plot is crazy identical...

Let me rephrase, because I understand it isn't a new concept. What I meant is, people will go to the remake and want to compare it to the original Commando. Even if it is more like Taken, Commando will still be the movie it is most often compared to. Thus, trying to recreate it with the similar "brawny" feel would be a disaster because there is nobody today that can hold a candle to Arnold's "brawny" character and that is who the new guy will be compared to. People will ultimately completely hate it because it was a disappointment and added nothing new to the Commando brand name. Having it be more tactical won't actually be something new, but it will at least feel different from Commando so many people will at least leave the movie saying something along the lines of "Well, that was disappointing compared to the original, but at least it took a different spin on Commando." I view it similarly as the upcoming Predators movie. There is no way it will live up to the original, so instead of finding the biggest, buffest, most brawny guys to be in it, go a different way with the characters completely that way it has a chance at success since it is trying to offer something different from the original.

darthmaul1
"Remember when i said i was going to make a good remake?"
"That's right Matrix you did!"
"I lied!"
"ahhhhh!"

dadudemon
Originally posted by Myth
Let me rephrase, because I understand it isn't a new concept. What I meant is, people will go to the remake and want to compare it to the original Commando. Even if it is more like Taken, Commando will still be the movie it is most often compared to. Thus, trying to recreate it with the similar "brawny" feel would be a disaster because there is nobody today that can hold a candle to Arnold's "brawny" character and that is who the new guy will be compared to. People will ultimately completely hate it because it was a disappointment and added nothing new to the Commando brand name. Having it be more tactical won't actually be something new, but it will at least feel different from Commando so many people will at least leave the movie saying something along the lines of "Well, that was disappointing compared to the original, but at least it took a different spin on Commando." I view it similarly as the upcoming Predators movie. There is no way it will live up to the original, so instead of finding the biggest, buffest, most brawny guys to be in it, go a different way with the characters completely that way it has a chance at success since it is trying to offer something different from the original.

Well, John Cena is comparable to Arnie, in the "Brawny" character department. Sure, John doesn't have the Genetics of Arnold, but he did just fine in his "commando" type film.

John Cena can also act better than Arnold.

Myth
Originally posted by dadudemon
Well, John Cena is comparable to Arnie, in the "Brawny" character department. Sure, John doesn't have the Genetics of Arnold, but he did just fine in his "commando" type film.

John Cena can also act better than Arnold.

Cena would probably be the best bet if they were trying to remake Commando using the brawny style. Even though his acting is technically better, I don't think he has the charisma of Arnold, plus I see that as a massive box office flop. I just don't see a lot of people besides teenage wrestling fans flocking to see an Arnold classic remake staring Cena, because it will just be viewed as an inferior remake of the original, while making it tactical (say, in the style of Bourne movie) could draw people who want to see the remake from a different point of view. They could probably find a better actor than Cena (and a more box office friendly actor) as well if they don't go the brawny route. Actually, now that I think of it, The Rock would probably be the best bet in the sense that he could draw a bigger crowd than Cena, but didn't the Rock say a while ago he doesn't want hand-me-down Arnold parts?

darthmaul1
When Arnie retired there was no one and there still is no one to replace him. When any movie of his came out (except last action hero) you could go and enjoy it and be entertained and 9 times out of 10 be gauranteed action. but now there isn't any one whom i know of that if you see in an action flick and you say YES i'm seeing that one for sure.
Commando was great when i was 13 and if i see it now i still enjoy it but it's a pretty crappy film. and to remake it is just stoopid same with the remake of Conan.

Myth
Originally posted by darthmaul1
When Arnie retired there was no one and there still is no one to replace him. When any movie of his came out (except last action hero) you could go and enjoy it and be entertained and 9 times out of 10 be gauranteed action. but now there isn't any one whom i know of that if you see in an action flick and you say YES i'm seeing that one for sure.

Which summarizes why I don't think remaking it in the "brawny" style is a good idea. Not that remaking it in a tactical way is great either.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.