Call of Duty: Black Ops

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
Next Call of Duty game revealed.

Activision has officially pulled the tarp off the next installment in their blockbuster Call of Duty franchise, although it's still shrouded in a fair bit of mystery.

The new game is called Call of Duty: Black Ops and will take place "behind enemy lines." It's being developed by Treyarch, who created the 2008 Call of Duty hit, Call of Duty: World at War, and is due out November 9 of this year.

many have speculated that the next game in the series would take place in Vietnam.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/next-call-of-duty-game-revealed/1397976

Phanteros
oh great, another one.

Ms.Marvel
want.

NemeBro
The Black Ops title is enough reason for me to follow this game for some reason.

WickedDynamite
I must say interesting! Going to keep a watch on this one and see where it goes.

S_D_J
bored already no expression

The Nuul
Already much better than Modern Warfail 2.

Kazenji
Oh great just what the world needs.

Smasandian
It does look a bit interesting but its not IW and even if it was, IW is not the same developer once they lost a few key people.

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by The Nuul
Already much better than Modern Warfail 2.

not really no expression

the game looks like shit. most boring monotonous stuff ever...

im call of duty'd out personally. just like im halo'd out

Kazenji
I noticed Sergeant Reznov from World At War is in this game.

majid86
Good to see a COD game that takes place during the Vietnam war.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by S_D_J
bored already no expression

K J H
Will it be on PS3

RE: Blaxican
No. It's a Wii exclusive.

jinXed by JaNx
Pass...,i'll wait for Bad Company; Vietnam and Medal of Honor.

Kazenji
I've only just gotten into the Call Of Duty games i own World At War and Modern Warfare, I might check this out see what happens.

-Pr-
Looking forward to this. Never played World at War, but the trailers look promising, and i was kind of disappointed by BBC2.

Kazenji
Zombie Mode

sq20dW6Qj4Y

MvQZfnFaH5s

mikeydude
I like it.

ArtificialGlory
I'm pretty sure the 360 version got leaked.

Smasandian
Oh ****ing great, got the game on Steam. Can't play because no ****ing sound.

ares834
Beat tha campaign. It was fairly obvious and I called every single plot twist in the game, heck I called the ending before even beating the first mission. Still fun though and the Zombie map you unlcok is epic.

Juk3n
Game is awsome, but Treyarch seriously need to work on pacing of a story, is pretty much just EXLOSSION EXPLOSIONS BOMBS CRASHING EXPLOSIONS from start to finish, it gets a little exhausting. ALthough predictable, it is by far the best most imaginative story in a CoD game so far. Multiplayer is..well...chaotic sometimes? Spawns are random, which sucks major ass really, i mean i know spawn trapping sucks, but when i am at my OWN spawn point and my whole team is 20ft around me THE ENEMY SHOULD NOT SPAWN AT OUR POINT.

Smasandian
When has a CoD game not been all about explosions?

I do like the SP better for this game than previous. The only problem I had was the pace. It was pretty jarring to go back and forth during a mission from Mason story and the game play.

Darth Vicious
Looking forward to campaign mode. I just did the first level. As for matchmaking, it feels a couple of steps below MW2. It sucks that now u have to buy everything. Too many similarities with Halo Reach (credits, file share, challenges for money etc). If they game had not been announced for a while I would say they copied. Favorite map so far is the Nuke Town.

The Nuul
The PC version lags like a *****. Its a POS so far. The better fix it. Nuke Town is fun. OH, and I ****ing HATE Steam.

Smasandian
Why?

Kazenji
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
Looking forward to campaign mode. I just did the first level. As for matchmaking, it feels a couple of steps below MW2. It sucks that now u have to buy everything. Too many similarities with Halo Reach (credits, file share, challenges for money etc). If they game had not been announced for a while I would say they copied. Favorite map so far is the Nuke Town.

Not that i've actually played it yet but have watched a review

i do like the Customisation for the character for online rather then everyone look the same.

Zack Fair
Well I gave in and bought it. So far it feels like MW2 lite, but I'm still enjoying it. My problem with Treyarch is that it seems like they don't try hard when they make these games.

Scythe
I'm likin' it so far.

Bloinky
All MW2 really focused on was the killstreaks the most, plus buying things are better then getting certain kills for attachments is alot better like unlocking extended mags using fmj was a pain in the ass. I don't see anything wrong with the Xbox 360 version, it just has a few bugs and that will be fixed soon over time...

Like the delay of the dead body falling after you shot them to death or the random spawning.

Impediment
This looks like a rental for me.

Then again, I am completely Modern Warfared out.

Phoenix3068
I like it. Oh btw...

Reznov isn't real. He dies at the end of the second mission while Mason escapes. That's why he hadn't seen him again and why the only times that he does see him, he doesn't interact with anyone else. He is real at the beginning though. The truth is that he is an image in Mason's mind. Which makes it funny when Mason shoots Steiner and says "My name is Victor Reznov and I want my revenge!" I might have misquoted a bit though, he might have said "This is my revenge!"

NCRotCA
Did the game come in this weird leaflet type thing with the game in a flap and no manual for anyone else out of curiosity? My brother got the special preordered edition so that may have been why.

Phoenix3068
idk, I pre-ordered but got the regular case.

ares834
Was anyone else pissed when Dimitri died? That guy was awsome and I hated how we went out.

Phoenix3068
I swear that pissed me off! GOD THAT ANGERS ME! Though I do like how it showed what he looked like. Petrinko is a famous hero damn it and they killed him off like he was nothing! DAMN THOSE GUYS! They MUST die! D:<

Zack Fair
IMO the game failed to live up to the hype. I found MW2 a lot more fun when it came out. I know the game had lots of balance issues but I dunno the action was so chaotic. Feels slower too.

Smasandian
The SP is better in Black Ops I think.

Kazenji
Also why is Pvt Petrenko in this game i'm pretty sure he died in World At War.

Kazenji
Pblj3JHF-Jo

junstree
I like it.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Kazenji
Also why is Pvt Petrenko in this game i'm pretty sure he died in World At War.

It's the same reason Capt Price is in Call Of Duty, Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

They tend to call the characters the same name.

Phoenix3068
First of all guys. Put up the Spoiler thing when you send spoilers, it's not cool to ruin the game for people who haven't played it. Anyways.. He didn't die in World at War, he was shot when he carried the flag to put it at the top of the building, then Reznov jumped out and stabbed, slashed, then stabbed the German again. He helped him back up and they walked together, planting the flag of Russia high over Berlin (I think it was Berlin) So yeah that's why he was in it.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Smasandian
It's the same reason Capt Price is in Call Of Duty, Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

They tend to call the characters the same name.

But i was'nt thinking it that way...because obvisouly the Cpt Price that i've seen (John Price) only been in two games.

Smasandian
He was in the first two COD games and he had the crazy mustache also.

Kazenji
I doubt it would be the same character over all these games...

Phoenix3068
lol it's the same Price in my mind, other wise he wouldn't be so bad ass :P

The Nuul
Since the lag has calmed down or gone for good. Its a good game. I like the money and jobs system.

Smasandian
I like the money too.

Allows me to customize weapons the way I want without having to the progression.

The Nuul
You still have to unlock stuff to buy them though.

Phoenix3068
Just weapons. Which isn't really all that bad. They patched the Auto-Fire M16 though v.v..

Zack Fair
I kind of hate the return of infinite respawning enemies in SP.

Been racking up kills like crazy lately. Multiplayer is addictive. I have my hands full between this and reach

Phoenix3068
You have to mix it up, add in some non-FPS

The Nuul
I dont like the 18 man server limits, I like 32. Thats my only complaint so far...

Sappho
game is good. graphics are a lil below mw2's, but im not complaining. my only big complaint is WHY DID THEY CHANGE THE SECONDARY WEAPONS LIKE THAT???

Can somebody please explain to me how the storyline in this game is considered "better" than MW2's? It's the same old wandering through foreign countries killing it's indigenous people that we've seen throughout the entire series, with the same plots. MW2 at least somewhat broke through that mold.

Also, the music sucks and the VA's are terrible. no expression

Juk3n
MW2 had great set pieces, and was a little moreexciting because of the way infinity ward can chnge the pace so well. EXPLOSIONS, shh..stealthy bit..ESCAPE ESCAPE ESCAPE, wow, under water..now thats cool...Soap, use the predator to take down the ...OSHIT THEYVE SEEN US!!

But the story itself sucked MAJOR LEAGUE BALLS. I LOVED black ops campaign.

What part of Black Ops' campaign did you love? You didn't actually list any of it's pros. :P

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
What part of Black Ops' campaign did you love? You didn't actually list any of it's pros. :P

Ice Cube as your wingman was my favorite part.

You reserve racist. shifty

Kazenji
Can somebody please explain to me how the storyline in this game is considered "better" than MW2's? It's the same old wandering through foreign countries killing it's indigenous people that we've seen throughout the entire series,

Looks like someone zoned out while playing these games...

So, you can't explain it either?

Impress me fellas!

FinalAnswer
Also, the music sucks

9dhRqP2jR6g

Kazenji
So, you can't explain it either?!

well you said

"It's the same old wandering through foreign countries killing it's indigenous people that we've seen throughout the entire series,"

Call of duty 1 to World at war.... its suppose to be set in WW2 what are you expecting Robots to show up or something crazy like that erm

Modern Warfare 1- Looking for a nuclear device which a group has gotten their hands on

Also, the music sucks . no expression

i'm guessing you have'nt watched many Vietnam war movies thats the sort of music they usually play.

well you said

"It's the same old wandering through foreign countries killing it's indigenous people that we've seen throughout the entire series,"

Call of duty 1 to World at war.... its suppose to be set in WW2 what are you expecting Robots to show up or something crazy like that erm

Modern Warfare 1- Looking for a nuclear device which a group has gotten their hands on

B-But you're not answering my question... actually you're kind of reaffirming my earlier point. Black Ops is like... the exact same game as all the other CoD's (-MW2). That's not a good thing, imo.

I'm not talking about that music, sweet home Alabama and shit. That's good music. I'm talking about the actual game music created by the music developers specifically for this game. The OST.

Kazenji
B-But you're not answering my question... actually you're kind of reaffirming my earlier point. Black Ops is like... the exact same game as all the other CoD's (-MW2). That's not a good thing, imo. .

Well what can they do ???

expand on the zombies idea have it incorperated into the story somehow but then it would be going down Wolfenstein's path then.

jinXed by JaNx
Love the single player campaign. Manchurian candidate..,conspiracy theory thing made it a blast for me to play through. I'll still stick to Bad Company Veitnam for my Multiplayer though. The Mulitplayer here is all the same to me, just now...,you have to do even more work to get the stuff you unlocked earlier on Modern Warfare 2 Just kind of like...,first come first serve. Same ol thing..,$60 for new maps. I enjoyed it though because the campaign is one hell of a fun rollercoaster.

Even though you can see where they are trying to copy Bad Comp...,They still got miles to go before they sleep. I'll See the real Veterans in Nam baby.

Well what can they do ???

expand on the zombies idea have it incorperated into the story somehow but then it would be going down Wolfenstein's path then.

Well, I know that it's TreyArch not IW and all but, personally, I would have preferred if they'd continued the story in MW2... MW2's campaign set the standard for modern war games as far as storyline, imo.

Admiral Akbar
Well, I know that it's TreyArch not IW and all but, personally, I would have preferred if they'd continued the story in MW2... MW2's campaign set the standard for modern war games as far as storyline, imo.

Well, if it set the standard it shouldn't be hard to outdo the MW2 campaign, after all it was a jumbled incoherent mess.

Yeah, which is my point. It's still better than every CoD single player conceived so far. Hence my. I don't know, frustration?

Smasandian

Meh, the story was ridiculous for MW2. Same with Black Op's, but at least it was less ridiculous.

Nemesis X
the music sucks no expression

Found this soundtrack from World at War to Black Ops:
r-OhIKuUjDw&feature=related

What you meant to say was that you have bad taste.

I can't hear it as this computer has no speakers, so I'm going to have to assume that you're wrong. Originally posted by Smasandian
Meh, the story was ridiculous for MW2. Same with Black Op's, but at least it was less ridiculous. I think it was less ridiculous too, in the sense that it was less fantastical (I.E. nothing as unrealistic as Russia making it so far inland that they get to Washington or nukes in space), but Black Ops was also a lot more cliche, imo. They didn't take any risks with the storyline. While the Russia invading the USA scenario was unrealsitic, I give IW points for trying to mix things up with the united states missions, which imo were fresh and creative to play through.

Nemesis X
I can't hear it as this computer has no speakers, so I'm going to have to assume that you're wrong.

You can't win by default just 'cause of that! mad

Go get speakers!

Kazenji
Meh, the story was ridiculous for MW2.

Even a sci-fi writer said that too that one who's working on Crysis 2.

Why does everyone using a ****ing silencer in this game.

Kazenji
Engrish?

Is that like, Australian humor?

Kazenji
Not to my knowledge.

Phoenix3068
gah. Look guys, you really have to lay off with the MW2 thing, its just stupid. Black Ops was made by Treyarch, you can't go and say "Well MW2--" because it's by different people.

Black Ops is the story of Old War.
Modern Warfare (Hence the name "MODERN"wink is the story of Current War.
You might as well say "But Halo--" sense it's the story of New War!

Black Ops was good.
Modern Warfare 2 was good.
You don't compare Black Ops to MW you compare it to World at War because that is the games Prequel.
You wouldn't compare MW2 to World at War because it's the sequel of Modern Warfare.

Also, the music at the time is supposed to be limited to stuff from like the 1950 - 1960s and what not. If you expect to hear modern music, go play a modern game!

Note: Black Ops was rated one of the bloodiest games of the year.

No, that really doesn't make any sense at all.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Phoenix3068
gah. Look guys, you really have to lay off with the MW2 thing, its just stupid. Black Ops was made by Treyarch, you can't go and say "Well MW2--" because it's by different people.

Black Ops is the story of Old War.
Modern Warfare (Hence the name "MODERN"wink is the story of Current War.
You might as well say "But Halo--" sense it's the story of New War!

Black Ops was good.
Modern Warfare 2 was good.
You don't compare Black Ops to MW you compare it to World at War because that is the games Prequel.
You wouldn't compare MW2 to World at War because it's the sequel of Modern Warfare.

Also, the music at the time is supposed to be limited to stuff from like the 1950 - 1960s and what not. If you expect to hear modern music, go play a modern game!

Note: Black Ops was rated one of the bloodiest games of the year.

Black Ops had a good single player, except for the AI of course and a few other instances where I felt like I was watching a movie and not actually playing a video game. I was disappointed to see that the only co-op was zombies and for some reason I can never connect to it and I always end up dropping. The multiplayer isn't really different. Same old Call of Duty with LESS players. Lol..max 18 players now, quite ridiculous.

From what I heard there were continuity errors with the music. For example the songs wouldn't have been out yet in real life by the time a specific mission took place.

That title will be usurped by Mortal Kombat soon enough big grin

Admiral Akbar
Yeah, which is my point. It's still better than every CoD single player conceived so far. Hence my. I don't know, frustration?

Just because it had more action and fancy effects doesn't make it better. COD 4 and COD 2 both had excellent campaigns and now Black Ops. Story wise of course. COD WaW is also up there, but not quite up to par to COD 4,2 and 7.

Yeah, the better writing and voice acting helped too.

Zack Fair
The campaign looks fun n' all but...I can't get myself to play it. For some reason I always fall back on multiplayer.

I just went 36 and 2 with the default shotgun. Much lulz.

Spartan005
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Found this soundtrack from World at War to Black Ops:
r-OhIKuUjDw&feature=related

What you meant to say was that you have bad taste.

That's from Call of Duty 5: WaW

Anyway, anyone play the zombie map? Is it as good as Der Riese?

jinXed by JaNx

You don't compare Black Ops to MW you compare it to World at War because

Considering that Black Ops has the same exact controls and gameplay and also considering that it's apart of the series gives plenty of reason to compare it to MW2.

By your logic it's ok to compare Black Ops to World at War because World at War is a prequel. So, that makes it perfectly fine to compare Black Ops to MW2 because Black Ops is a prequel to MW2 laughing out loud

At any rate, i'd just like to say that i've finally finished Black Ops on Veteran and i had a lot of fun playing through. I really enjoyed the story and action sequences but i wish there were just a bit less scripted moments and more freedom to complete the levels rather than following the perfectly pre-determined paths the devs want you to follow. The AI was also a big problem for me. Your team AI is dumb as a bag of rocks and quite possibly some of the worst team AI i've experienced in a long time and the enemy AI isn't much better. The only difficulty comes from being killed in one or two shots. Veteran is still a pain in the ass because of this but like always, you simply just need to memorize where everyone is. By now, i would expect random enemy spawns. Although, the game was still fun to play

The only problem i have now is that there is nothing left to do in the game. Black Ops is in desperate need of Co-op. The lack of Campaign co-op at this point is inexcusable to me. The multiplayer is fun and all, but considering that i've been playing the same exact multiplayer for the last three games now, i have little interest in playing it in this installment. Again, all in all, the singe player was fun but you're essentially paying $60 for new multiplayer maps here.

ares834
Originally posted by Spartan005
That's from Call of Duty 5: WaW

Anyway, anyone play the zombie map? Is it as good as Der Riese?
No they are not. The Thief at five annoys the hell out of me.

Phoenix3068
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Considering that Black Ops has the same exact controls and gameplay and also considering that it's apart of the series gives plenty of reason to compare it to MW2.

By your logic it's ok to compare Black Ops to World at War because World at War is a prequel. So, that makes it perfectly fine to compare Black Ops to MW2 because Black Ops is a prequel to MW2 laughing out loud

Not when MW2 is produced by IW while BO and WaW are produced by Trey. Then it doesn't become a contest between games but a contest between companies. You would be saying you prefer IW's work compared. That's why WaW was produced by Trey who then made Black Ops. MW2 was produced by a completely different company.

Burning thought
Enjoying the game so far, mostly multiplayer, hardly touched single-player but I plan to. In multiplayer I can see it getting dull fast though, mainly because once you get to the end of the rankings, you can reset it for an extra "prestiege" rank, so all in all I think you have to complete 50 tanks, 15 times to get all the unlocks which is tiresome.

Sappho
Originally posted by Burning thought
Enjoying the game so far, mostly multiplayer, hardly touched single-player but I plan to. In multiplayer I can see it getting dull fast though, mainly because once you get to the end of the rankings, you can reset it for an extra "prestiege" rank, so all in all I think you have to complete 50 tanks, 15 times to get all the unlocks which is tiresome.
yea i think they took it a little overboard with that. some of the cool unlockables arent unlocked untile prestige lvl 10, 13, etc... its extremely frustrating. That wont keep me from being addicted to it though.

and the dead ops arcade is like... one of the best minigames, ever.

Burning thought
You know what, I have not even played that arcade, where is it exactly?

jinXed by JaNx
you have to type in DOA in the computer terminal at the title screen after you break out of the chair by pressing both RT and LT. Not sure what you have to press if you have a ps3 but i'd assume it would be R1 and L! or L2 and R2

jinXed by JaNx
Not when MW2 is produced by IW while BO and WaW are produced by Trey. Then it doesn't become a contest between games but a contest between companies. You would be saying you prefer IW's work compared. That's why WaW was produced by Trey who then made Black Ops. MW2 was produced by a completely different company.

If this franchise hadn't already been established i'd say there would be a difference between developers but by this point i doubt any developer has much freedom at all with the prerequisites of game play set by the publishers. The differences by each developer are minute. However, you're right there is a difference there but until i see a risk taken that changes gameplay drastically i will remain to look at COD franchise as the same game separated only by a number or setting. The one thing i hate about Treyarchs approach though is their intent on designing levels with endless enemy spawns. Although, that's probably just because of the setting that was chosen.

Sappho
Originally posted by Burning thought
You know what, I have not even played that arcade, where is it exactly?
yea what he said, use l2 and r2, get out the chair, go the computer in the room, type in doa, and when the mini arcade screen comes up, DONT PUSH ANYTHING. wait, and it will load up. then you'll have it unlocked for online play, and its suuuuuper fun.

Phoenix3068
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
If this franchise hadn't already been established i'd say there would be a difference between developers but by this point i doubt any developer has much freedom at all with the prerequisites of game play set by the publishers. The differences by each developer are minute. However, you're right there is a difference there but until i see a risk taken that changes gameplay drastically i will remain to look at COD franchise as the same game separated only by a number or setting. The one thing i hate about Treyarchs approach though is their intent on designing levels with endless enemy spawns. Although, that's probably just because of the setting that was chosen.

There is plenty of difference.

First of all, I think Infinity Ward has only made one pre-Y2K CoD (not sure but I think someone said they did CoD 2 or something.) Anyways, aside from that Infinity Ward makes Modern CoD. They're better with graphics. They use more modern guns that give us an infinite amount of fun.

Treyarch has so far only made pre-Y2K games. Involving WWII, the Vietnam War, etc. While MW2 is about shooting and high-tech gear, Black Ops is more about History.

That's right people it's a conspiracy! Treyarch is forcing kids to LEARN!!!! ROARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyways, the two different companies have different equipment. They have the same controls for a reason but you can't judge a game's resemblance through control use sense Halo Reach and Halo 3 used a slightly different set up.

Well I'm going to stop my rants big grin CoD is awesome, later.

Smasandian
Jesus Christ.

IW created the franchise Call of Duty with the first and second games. Those were in WW2. They also developed an expansion pack called United Offensive for Call of Duty.

But, the first Call of Duty like game is Medal Of Honor Allied Assault. The guys who created that game went on to start up IW.

So IW didn't make modern CoD until CoD4 but they made thier bones with "historical" WW2 games.

In the end though, CoD throughout the series has been pretty much identical no matter who developed it. It follows the same forumla. Replace the M16 with Thompson machine gun, and you get the same game.

Juk3n
IW got the respct over Treyarch because IW push boundaries, ive no doubt that they did the VERY bst work they could on the IW Engine for the games graphics, and it shows, MW2 was/is stunningly beautiful.

Treyarch on the otherhand? with their nigh on limitless resources in activision and AAA status DIDNT do the best they could possibly do. The best they could possibly do would have been to go next door and borrow the IW2 Game engine THEN blend all their own uber motion cap work in and tweak tweak tweak. But they didnt, they used an inferior engine and tweaked that into a slightly less inferior one thus giving us an inferior game.

If 3arc really wanted to break boundaries and step out of IWs shadow, on the next release, 6 months into developement they'll hire 30 extra staff and OPTIMIZE the 3 versions independently. Then they'll be seen as industry leaders (like crytek optimizing all 3 versions of crysis 2 for each system) instead of shadow lurking sideliners to IWs stardom.

Dont get me wrong, im having a blast on BOps right now, but i couldn't honestly sit and tell someone "this is the best they could have done with the time/money/resources they have" i AM however waiting eagerly for MW3..why? because i forsee yet more boundary stepping.

Smasandian
IW gets the respect because they created the CoD franchise.

Also, Black Op's uses the same engine as Modern Warfare 2.

Phoenix3068
IW got their asses sued by Activision :P
Then IW sued back
Now they have legal issues.
While MW3 is rumored to be in development, people are saying IW is too screwed to pull anything else out.

Sappho
i really doubt that means anything. somehow, that game is going to come out. its too much money to not, regardless of how many legal issues there are.

Smasandian
IW got their asses sued by Activision :P
Then IW sued back
Now they have legal issues.
While MW3 is rumored to be in development, people are saying IW is too screwed to pull anything else out.

IW didn't get sued by Activision.

The founders of IW got fired by Activision (because they own IW).

Those founders sued Activision for not receiving royalties. Activision countersued them.

The company IW did not get sued. They might have problems releasing a game soon because a lot of employees left the company but they are not in any sort of legal issues. Activision is.

But it doesn't hurt the brand because Activision owns the brand Call of Duty.

Phoenix3068
Blah blah blah, point is legal issues take a toll on the game release.

Juk3n

Also, Black Op's uses the same engine as Modern Warfare 2.

no it doesn't it uses an upgraded WaW engine, it doesn't Infinity Engine

Smasandian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IW_engine

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/100/1003728p2.html

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Juk3n
no it doesn't it uses an upgraded WaW engine, it doesn't Infinity Engine

All of the CoD games after CoD4 used the same engine with some upgrades here and there.

Smasandian
It's plainly obvious that it does too.

Character models look the same in all games and the static environments look the same. Also, the super good frame rate the engine provides is present in all games that use it.

ArtificialGlory
It's plainly obvious that it does too.

Character models look the same in all games and the static environments look the same. Also, the super good frame rate the engine provides is present in all games that use it.

Indeed.

jinXed by JaNx
There is plenty of difference.

First of all, I think Infinity Ward has only made one pre-Y2K CoD (not sure but I think someone said they did CoD 2 or something.) Anyways, aside from that Infinity Ward makes Modern CoD. They're better with graphics. They use more modern guns that give us an infinite amount of fun.

Treyarch has so far only made pre-Y2K games. Involving WWII, the Vietnam War, etc. While MW2 is about shooting and high-tech gear, Black Ops is more about History.

That's right people it's a conspiracy! Treyarch is forcing kids to LEARN!!!! ROARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyways, the two different companies have different equipment. They have the same controls for a reason but you can't judge a game's resemblance through control use sense Halo Reach and Halo 3 used a slightly different set up.

Well I'm going to stop my rants big grin CoD is awesome, later.

Difference in guns is hardly a noteworthy difference to me. Especially when Modern Guns are fully accessible in the Multiplayer. It's not as though the Guns that IW focused on in MW change game play in anyway. The strategy is still the same...,run, take corners and point and shoot. It's not like, Ghost Recon where the equipment drastically changes gameplay formula that COD uses.

The only two noticeable difference i see between this years COD and MW2 is the pop and lock feature that allowed to snap onto enemy targets. The other difference was that IW decided to do away with respawning enemies in MW2. Other than these two differences they are the same game. As for graphical capability...,i suppose that's subjective because there are parts of Black-ops that look FAR better than MW1/MW2. Although there are things about MW2 that look better than Black-ops.

I really don't think there is any more focus on history than any other COD games with Black-ops. If anything it's probably the least educational. It's not like the older titles..,Big Red One where the game was as much a history lesson as it was a game.

Anyone having trouble with the matchmaking? The game has been "waiting for 11 more players" for 10 minutes on Ground War.

Nemesis X
The only things I can enjoy in Black Ops are the zombies and the single player. Matchmaking is broken as hell. Mostly everyone is spamming RCs (those little exploding toy cars of doom) which are annoying and enemy players can spawn right next to you and last I checked from other games with matchmaking, you would have to spawn far enough from your opponents so it can be oh I don't know, fair! One guy spawned so close to me, he knifed me.

Sappho
spawning, rc cars, hit detection, ALL NEED TO BE FIXED. this shit makes the game hard to play online, and not because i suck...

Phoenix3068
I like the Leap to Prone but I think there should be a Slide to Crouch too -.-

The Nuul
PC version doesnt have a lot of AC cars, the spawn points are annoying at times but is seems the console version is worst.

Scythe
I'm loving one in the chamber.

Zack Fair
72lq9Q5edwU

NCRotCA
Anyone having trouble with the matchmaking? The game has been "waiting for 11 more players" for 10 minutes on Ground War.

Yeah I am too. It's actually taking longer for most matches to load then it does to actually participate in them for me, though I have mostly been doing the special gun modes (don't know what theyre called; they're the oens where you have to unlock the next gun with each kill, and where you only have a single bullet and three lives).

Nemesis X
Apparentley this game still needs more patching. In the killcam, I spot bullets that didn't hit this guy and yet they still killed him anyways. That is ridiculous.

Smasandian
Meh, I don't find that annoying. Everybody has the same game to play with so there isn't an advantage and also, what online shooter does not have killbox issues?

Kazenji
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Apparentley this game still needs more patching. In the killcam, I spot bullets that didn't hit this guy and yet they still killed him anyways. That is ridiculous.

I noticed that with even World At War you shoot at someone and then the othe guy kills you and then you see the Kill Cam and according to it you did'nt fire any bullets erm

Phoenix3068
That's how games always are. Patching it won't do anything because of the "PING" XD lol

Smasandian
Not necessarily.

If the kill boxes are ****ed up, doesn't matter what the latency is.

For example, for years in TF2, a spy could backstab somebody in the face and get an instakill. The community called it facestabbing because if you attack somebody in the front, it's not an instakill. The kill box was screwed up. The hit was registered as a backstab because the knife went through the head and hit the back of the body kill box.

Nemesis X
what online shooter does not have killbox issues?

The Halo games.

http://halowiki.net/images/0/0f/Sniper_Rifle_Inch_Miss.jpg

Smasandian
I betcha that people have issues with killboxes in Halo games.

Zack Fair
Nothing like CoD's issues. Its more connection issues than hitbox issues.

Nemesis X
I betcha that people have issues with killboxes in Halo games.

I'm guessing that you did not click the link. In Halo, you can miss even by an inch while in CoD, you can get a headshot just by shooting your target between the shouler and the head. "People have issues with killboxes in Halo games" my @$$.

jnsmith0123
I have played this game twice. I really liked the storyline of this game and graphics, sound, gaming controls were awesome. I have played all the games in the Call of Duty series and without any doubts can say that this is the best game I've ever played. I like first person shooter, third person shooter, racing games.

Kazenji
First DLC "First Strike"

five fresh maps, four of which are for multiplayer and one of which fleshes out the game's popular zombie mode.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-7319-Call-of-Duty--Black-Ops--First-Strike--DLC-Revealed-in-New-Trailer.html

The Red
Call of Duty Black Ops is terrible in general. Graphics are terrible. The game play is ridiculously slow. All the weapons are basically the same(sound/strength/style). Did I mention the broken kill streaks? The only thing this game has is customization and zombies. Otherwise, it's a rent only game. I played it twice. Haven't picked it up since.

FinalAnswer
But it has Elena Siegman

That alone is enough to make this a Game of the Year.

Hammerhans
Originally posted by The Red
Call of Duty Black Ops is terrible in general. Graphics are terrible. The game play is ridiculously slow. All the weapons are basically the same(sound/strength/style). Did I mention the broken kill streaks? The only thing this game has is customization and zombies. Otherwise, it's a rent only game. I played it twice. Haven't picked it up since.

Imo this is one of the better multiplayer games ever created.

You say that it is slo, compared to what?

You say the graphics are terrible? again compared to what? it might not have the highest pxels count, or the biggest map , but graphics go beyond that and I think it holds up very well, it suits the style very good. Hell that new Kirby game is regognized as having very good graphics even tho its 2d, but it suits the style, same with this.

The weapons are the same now? ok, how is the shotgun the same as the ak47? or how is the M60 alike the Stoner63?

Or even how is the crossbow anything alike the tomahawk?...

Killstreaks are broken now? How so? atleast its not like in MW2 where as the killstreaks acturlly add up to your current kill count, which was bad game design or atleast too rewarding for the better players, making the game a misrable hell for noobs.

It is slow compared to the Modern Warfare games. Because every map has horrible line of sight (something they did to make it harder for snipers), 99% of the matches consist of surprise attacks and camping.

The graphics are Modern Warfare 1 level graphics, if that. They look like shit, compared even to MW2, and the textures are horrible. Halo Reach also blows them out of the water.

The weapons are the same in the sense that an M60 is virtually no different from any of the other LMG's. The AK is virtually no different from any of the other assault rifles, etc. If you're going to argue that an AK is different from an M16 because the M16 has burst fire, than you're missing the point.

Also, sniper rifles are virtually useless now, sans the second to last one, and that is something that nearly the entire community has argued about. The knife is also broken.

General_Iroh
It is slow compared to the Modern Warfare games. Because every map has horrible line of sight (something they did to make it harder for snipers), 99% of the matches consist of surprise attacks and camping.

The graphics are Modern Warfare 1 level graphics, if that. They look like shit, compared even to MW2, and the textures are horrible. Halo Reach also blows them out of the water.

The weapons are the same in the sense that an M60 is virtually no different from any of the other LMG's. The AK is virtually no different from any of the other assault rifles, etc. If you're going to argue that an AK is different from an M16 because the M16 has burst fire, than you're missing the point.

Also, sniper rifles are virtually useless now, sans the second to last one, and that is something that nearly the entire community has argued about. The knife is also broken.
AK is incredibly different from the other assault rifles, they've acknowledged that sniper rifles are crap and are tweaking them, and are you seriously complaining about MW graphics? Aren't you a picky little one.

Originally posted by General_Iroh
AK is incredibly different from the other assault rifles, they've acknowledged that sniper rifles are crap and are tweaking them, and are you seriously complaining about MW graphics? Aren't you a picky little one. Picky? What is wrong with you? Hammerhans specifically asked what was wrong with the graphics.

General_Iroh
Picky? What is wrong with you? Hammerhans specifically asked what was wrong with the graphics.
And you said they look like shit, as if MW had horrid graphics erm

MW1 has horrid graphics compared to now, yeah.

Just like, Final Fantasy 7's graphics were the bomb ten years ago, they're shit now.

Hammerhans
MW, MW2, Call of Duty World at War, and Black Ops basically look the same, its like comparing Doom to Doom 2, or Doom 3 to Quake 4, or Mortal Kombat 2 to Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, its the same just with different settings and style.

Now lets be honest here, Black Ops has more closed quarters fighting than MW2, hence why the snipers are so redundant now.

Close quarters as far as I can tell equals more intense fighting which equals a faster gameplay, there is always action in black ops, non stop almost, you hardly need to look for more than 10 secs to find people. Thats my take on it.

And lets talk about the sound, I use surround sound on my system and I find it MUCH more accurate than in MW 2, I have been banned on 7 servers, called a cheater in countless others simply cause of the superb sound that this game has, so many times I have heard someone coming up from behind closer... closer... and BAM I do a 180 degree turn and knife the sucka, now thats fun. also around corners and such, I hear them and start shooting just as they come around or sometimes even before, I just love that, it gives me the edge so many times.

But lets talk about the line of sight, what I like about that is the fact that it gives you options. In MW 2 you not only had more open maps but you also had STOPPING POWER (bullets do MUCH more damage), what that dose is that the guy that spots his opponent first will get a kill as long as he can aim (and the rifles in MW2 have less recoil making shooing even easier) so its MUCH easier to get kills.

And this is what the noobs are complaining about, they used to be able to kill as soon as theyd spot someone, and the campers man they loved this aswell.

Now in my opinion its more skill based, you can get shot at and survive to a greater extent, and if you do your now also able to counter the attacks, I rarely had 180 degree turns and headshots in MW2, now it happens everyday I play, several times p.session aswell. I now also get to fool enemies because of the line of sight, I can attack from other locations than the last time they saw me run around a corner or whatever.

I know what you mean Blax, but I completely disagree with your points.

Zack Fair
It was stupid having snipers running around quick-scoping people. It took away the whole "sniping" strategy. I am glad snipers got nerfed, they always felt retarded to me.

Now what I find extremely annoying is the knife. Basically everyone has commando and that is annoying as ****. If they are going to keep the range as it is they should at least make it so if you shoot them you can actually kill them as well. As it stands is just plain stupid to watch a sprinter run towards me as I fire at him knowing I am not missing and just die because the bullets didn't register because of the huge lunge.

I like Black Ops maps better than MW2 except for that horrible idea known as Noobtown. Also the killstreaks are no where near as broken as MW2. Game Ending nuke? You've got be fkn kidding me.

Originally posted by Hammerhans
MW, MW2, Call of Duty World at War, and Black Ops basically look the same,

No, they don't. At all. MW2 looks wayyy better than all of them.

That's not a good thing, it's a bad thing. If you're going to have a class in the game that is only useful at extreme ranges, then put it maps where it can have a chance. There's no reason to even have the class if it's going to suck on every map in every game type. That's what we in the gaming world call "broken".

Except it's not because the only thing that poor line of sight = is corner camping.

The sound was so terrible in the game that they had to actually make a patch for it to be louder. Even now, by the game creators' own admission, it's still not as loud as MW2's is. So I dunno what you're talking about.

You made two statements that aren't related. How does "I love close quarters because it gives more options (which isn't true. It just encourages people to hide in corners), correlate to "stopping power takes less skill".

It's intresting that you call that "more skilled based", considering that what that basically means is that any noob that gets caught with his pants down has a better chance of surviving even though he should have been dead to rights.

And it makes snipers useless because the short line of sights means that you don't have enough time to aim for the sweet spot, and you can't quick scope because they'll survive. Just because something is hard, and broken, doesn't mean that it is therefore a good thing. There's a line between "requires skill" and "unbalanced".

Hammerhans
I can tell you only from my own experience that campers are something I have seen only less of after the change from MW2 to Black Ops.

And regarding the sound: Loud dose not equal good in anyway, its the "positioning locator" in that regard its much more precise than in the previous games, it's almost as good as in Counter Strike and Battlefield games, what I mean by this is I can almost aim with my eyes closed if the map was big and open and an enemy was running around there. I hope you know what I am talking about now.

Regarding the stopping power and line of sight. Let me try to explain it better.

In a more open map which are seen in MW2 you would have more time to shoot at enemys because you would see them for longer periods of time, there would not be so many guys that got away if you were to open fire, because its open and you have more time to put damage on them. now add in stopping power aswell. What we end up if is spot = no escape as long as the shooter can aim somewhat, and lets face it everyone can aim after 1 hour of playing somehwhat...

So even people who are not considered good by themselves or others will have a good chance of killing by just aiming in the direction of the opponents and they will have time to keep the fire up for longer periods of time because the maps allow it.

Now in black ops the maps are tighter, which means there is less time to kill after first spot, and no stopping power either which means sometimes you will have to use the entire magazine and then some to just kill one person should a cat and mouse ensue.

What this also means is that it will allow the person who got spotted to come up with a response and counter the attack, this is much more true in black ops than in MW2, and this also will come down to who is better aswell, if the spotted guy is really good he will kill the one who saw him even if he got spotted first more often than not.

And if you look at counter strike for example this is even more true, its not just about who sees who first its also about how to counter the attacks, what plan and diversion you come up with, set yourself into the mind of the opponent and do the unexpected, use tactic and planning coupled with good aiming and fast reflexes rather than just shooting at things that you see moving.

"any noob that gets caught with his pants down has a better chance of surviving"

Yes but if the guy that is shooting at him fails to kill him even though he saw him first and then dies himself, well... then we have a case of not just one noob but two. A good player should win if he spots first against a noob, because he will have shot him, done more damage and be ready to kill him of with either a flash or stick or whatever, because when you get shot, you first look whos shootinng at you or try to get away, while the other guy is only thinking about how to finish the job, if he fails that, then hes no better than the guy he was shooting at in the first place.

General_Iroh
MW1 has horrid graphics compared to now, yeah.

Just like, Final Fantasy 7's graphics were the bomb ten years ago, they're shit now.
Yeah Final Fantasy VII does look like shit now, because it was made when playstation first came out. MW2 does in no way look light years better than MW or Black Ops, it looks moderately better, but to say that MW and Black Ops graphics suck? Just wow...

Juk3n
BO graphics dn't suck at all, infact the character animation and motion Cap is better then MW2. But MW2 is just slicker, environs look better, textures are better, the sound is better, the gameplay is slicker, smoother more refined. These should get better with each new itteration of a franchise, they haven't here.

Not to mention 3ARC really phoned in th PS3 version, Infinity never had a problem optimizing..and having 15fps on a next gen console multiplayer is embarressing, especially when you have nigh-on-unlimited funds and limitless resources.

The difference between MW1 and MW2 was a noticable difference, a very noticable step up in quality all round a 2 year improvement. But i can't say the same Black ops. Thats not the same as saying it's ugly.

The Red

Also, sniper rifles are virtually useless now, sans the second to last one, and that is something that nearly the entire community has argued about. The knife is also broken. Thanks for the follow up Blax. At least you followed what I meant.

Kazenji
One game that needs an update is World At War

keep telling you that you don't have the map packs when cleary that they are friggan are on your Hard drive.

Hammerhans

Morridini
Originally posted by Hammerhans
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/391/codgraphicscomparison.jpg

Fixed.

From that pic, MW2 looked best, judging by the facial graphics.

Btw, norsk?

MW2 does look best. The textures look better.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>