Are the smart guys getting too smart?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

basilisk
Anyone else getting tired of the whole "I'm the xth smartest guy in the world" stuff that's going on lately? Seems like every issue featuring Pym, Cho, Banner etc. has some mention of the fact that they are one of the smartest guys in the world right before they do something ridiculous. Are they making a lot things just to easy for them to the point where it's all just getting silly? - What is left to challenge these people?

Some recent examples I can think of:

1) Bannertech - this nerd is just running around owning everybody and everything in 2 seconds, hacking into everything, instantly turning off Doom's armor (why didn't Reed just do this years ago instead of fighting Doom all the time?) Why didn't Banner do this sort of stuff years ago? - the time was that regular Banner was no more hindrance to Doom than a fly. A Banner this smart could have beaten half his opponents over the years easier as Banner than he did as the Hulk.

2) Hank "Im Scientist Supreme" Pym - I can understand a writer might want to give the character his dues and give him some respect back, but is this the way to do it? Seriously, building the Infinite Mansion? Making machines that depower and trap Loki? This guy used to be an expert biochemist who messed around in his lab and came up with growth serums and a few robots.

3) Amadeus Cho - they take this guy a bit too far. So now he can beat Mr. X by throwing a few arrows around a room in such a way that they all hit X and take him out? X is probably the sort of guy who could grab arrows out of the air at flight speed, let alone just tossed around. Captain America would be hard pressed to beat X that easily. Maybe they should have Cho beat Cap next: "Nice try Cap, but I can instantly calculate the path of your shield throw and toss this pebble to deflect it just enough to send it on to a trajectory that is too complex for you to understand and knocks you out from behind!"

4) Valeria in FF - how long are they going to have this annoying kid around doing stuff in 2 seconds that would have been challenges even for the genius characters once upon a time. She is a really annoying and unoriginal character and a dead-end addition to the series.

There were other examples I had, but I can't think of them right now.

manjaro
well now that Stark is back and his new R.T chest thingy his pumping his brain full of riduculous amounts of energy he's actually now smarter than he has ever been....according to the latest issue that is.

Digi
You have a point, but it's also comics. Hyperbole exists everywhere, and the general trend is to one-up the last big feat, so there will always be slow empowerments in comics, excepting specific attempts to depower characters or universes.

srug

Philosophía
Star has just gotten a brain upgrade in the latest Iron Man issue. ermm

I love the series, but even I went "meh, that's stupid".

Accel
I actually like the idea of Valerie being a super-intelligent genius, mostly because I think it adds on that you have a superhero family who also happens to have two kids, one with God-like powers and the other with ridiculously high I.Q.

What bugs me though is how lately F.F. comics seem to focus more on Reed doing every thing on his own with "SCIENCE!" then having the team actually working together any more.

SamZED
Banner depowered Doom's armor?? What the f**k?

superbatman86
Originally posted by SamZED
Banner depowered Doom's armor?? What the f**k? Im right there with ya

willRules
Well this is forcing creativity in a much more positive way than has been experienced before in comics.

Death was always the major issue before. Making the plot stakes as big as life or death for a character was as about as dramatic as you can get. The only way of topping it was to bring them back to life. A dramatic cul de sac, in my opinion.
With increasing a character's level of intelligence the writer is forced to come up with new ways of displaying it's effects. In Iron-man we get a rebirthing, where Stark's IQ dropped before becoming stronger than ever before. With someone like Hank Pym, Dan Slott has had to become really creative. He can't just have the character create another robot, any MU scientist can do that. Instead we get the "Scientist Supreme" who is involved in interdimensional travel as a sort of Doctor Who of the MU.

This is a good thing. Where's the limit? As always, with the writer's imagination.

Bentley
T'challa depowered Doom tech before, his armor resisted though. It's not like Doom's tech is been shown as perfect before.

dmills
Ditto on the Bannertech. He's doing all kinds of stuff now.

basilisk

Originally posted by superbatman86
Im right there with ya

Yeah, Banner just walks up to Doom and activates his "Gamma Dome" and the result was basically "all inferior non-Bannertech electronics disabled!" instantly within the field, and Banner saying Doom can't beat him with his tech because he's better or something. Written by Pak. Quite sad really.

Endless Mike
I love stories with scientists inventing all kinds of crazy crap. So I don't mind it.

JakeTheBank
Greg Pak making people job out to Hulk/Banner?

The very notion is absurd!

vin

Galan007
Originally posted by manjaro
well now that Stark is back and his new R.T chest thingy his pumping his brain full of riduculous amounts of energy he's actually now smarter than he has ever been....according to the latest issue that is. ....Which is scary considering some of the tech he's created in the past. eek!

willRules
Has Reed Richards ever been shown to have a level of intelligence that surpasses Dr Doom?

marwash22
I get the sentiment in the argument, however, it's only logical that geniuses continue to create and innovate. 100 years ago, people would have thought it was ridiculous for someone to be able to create a device in which held thousands of songs in digital form.

Martian_mind
....You mean they can?

Goddamn Australia. All we have are the soothing chorus of Kangaroos bleating throughout the day.

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by basilisk
Anyone else getting tired of the whole "I'm the xth smartest guy in the world" stuff that's going on lately? Seems like every issue featuring Pym, Cho, Banner etc. has some mention of the fact that they are one of the smartest guys in the world right before they do something ridiculous. Are they making a lot things just to easy for them to the point where it's all just getting silly? - What is left to challenge these people?

Some recent examples I can think of:

1) Bannertech - this nerd is just running around owning everybody and everything in 2 seconds, hacking into everything, instantly turning off Doom's armor (why didn't Reed just do this years ago instead of fighting Doom all the time?) Why didn't Banner do this sort of stuff years ago? - the time was that regular Banner was no more hindrance to Doom than a fly. A Banner this smart could have beaten half his opponents over the years easier as Banner than he did as the Hulk.

2) Hank "Im Scientist Supreme" Pym - I can understand a writer might want to give the character his dues and give him some respect back, but is this the way to do it? Seriously, building the Infinite Mansion? Making machines that depower and trap Loki? This guy used to be an expert biochemist who messed around in his lab and came up with growth serums and a few robots.

3) Amadeus Cho - they take this guy a bit too far. So now he can beat Mr. X by throwing a few arrows around a room in such a way that they all hit X and take him out? X is probably the sort of guy who could grab arrows out of the air at flight speed, let alone just tossed around. Captain America would be hard pressed to beat X that easily. Maybe they should have Cho beat Cap next: "Nice try Cap, but I can instantly calculate the path of your shield throw and toss this pebble to deflect it just enough to send it on to a trajectory that is too complex for you to understand and knocks you out from behind!"

4) Valeria in FF - how long are they going to have this annoying kid around doing stuff in 2 seconds that would have been challenges even for the genius characters once upon a time. She is a really annoying and unoriginal character and a dead-end addition to the series.

There were other examples I had, but I can't think of them right now.

These, IMO are 4 of the most re-invigorated characters around, its hopeless debating with someones tastes are so different. I suppose this lends credence to anti realist perspective on taste !

Cartesian Doubt

I don't think he did - I just thought he turned Doom into a retard, temporarily ?

jalek moye
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
I don't think he did - I just thought he turned Doom into a retard, temporarily ?

No he deactivated all the tech intin the bubble, the retard stuff was from Leader I think.

willRules
Originally posted by Martian_mind
....You mean they can?

Goddamn Australia. All we have are the soothing chorus of Kangaroos bleating throughout the day.

laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.