Why all the Daken hate?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Original Smurph
I'm just curious really. He's not my favorite character, but I seem to lack the seething hate that fuels all the Daken-related posting around here, so I was wondering where all the animosity stemmed from. Yes, he has powers similar to Wolverine, but I don't see why that's innately a bad thing. Yes, it's repeatedly touched on that his sexual orientation is ambiguous, but is that all?

Maybe I'm just missing something.

batdude123
LOL @ the "Are People Born Gay?" ad on this page.

Accel
Well it is a Smurph thread.

Original Smurph
Oh, snap.

sad

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by batdude123
LOL @ the "Are People Born Gay?" ad on this page. Well, tell us, were you?Originally posted by Original Smurph
Oh, snap.

Digi
You people see ads?

Q99
Originally posted by Original Smurph
I'm just curious really. He's not my favorite character, but I seem to lack the seething hate that fuels all the Daken-related posting around here, so I was wondering where all the animosity stemmed from. Yes, he has powers similar to Wolverine, but I don't see why that's innately a bad thing. Yes, it's repeatedly touched on that his sexual orientation is ambiguous, but is that all?

Maybe I'm just missing something.

A lot of it is that there's a lot of characters out there *based* on Wolverine especially during the 90s, most of whom suck, then you bring in his actual son with practically identical powers? (Including an impractical but 'kewl' claw configuration).

I mean, the way he's turned out is fairly interesting, but honestly I expected the worst and wrote him off at first.

Konton
I like him, X-23 just has cooler claw placement. =3

jalek moye
I think alot of people either just hate the idea of him so dont give him a chance or heard some things form some people who hate him and jumped on the bandwagon.

i mean for people who have that seething hate for him, not just general disinterest

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by Original Smurph

Maybe I'm just missing something. Hes just a big part of everything thats been wrong with wolverine recently. Hes not the only one though, Romulous sucks too.

Q99
Originally posted by Konton

X-23's is more useful in that it effectively gives her more weapons- hands and kicks are both extra deadly. Daken's third claw is pretty much only useful for stabbing, otherwise he might as well have two.

willRules
I prefer X-23 as a Wolverine rip off. She's got the whole badass Kill Bill/Hit Girl vibe. I don't feel anything towards Daken, which is essentially a bad thing. I couldn't care less about the character.....

.....the only saving grace for him was the Dark Reign Punisher: The List one shot which gave him some credibility as a character, in what was one of the best issues of last year.

theICONiac
Originally posted by batdude123
LOL @ the "Are People Born Gay?" ad on this page.

Originally posted by Digi
You people see ads?

Uh-oh! Somebody has SPYWARE on their computer!

jiggy

Omega Vision
I think he's just a cheap means of creating an EVIL!Wolverine. I actually don't mind his sexuality, I think that's the one thing that really sets him apart from Wolverine. Its just there isn't enough meat on his bones to make for a compelling character.

Blanket
People hate Wolverine. They hate his exact duplicate (Wolverine likes balls).

Simple really.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Blanket
People hate Wolverine. They hate his exact duplicate (Wolverine likes balls).

Simple really.

thumb up

The Nuul
Hes a punk kid whos an Wolverine rip off. His stories are not interesting at all.

Albert is much more instresting.

roughrider
Well, I got sick of Sabretooth a long time ago. I don't mind he's been killed off, and Daken has kind of taken his place.

StyleTime
Originally posted by Konton
How shallow. I prefer her...

because she has bewbs. biscuits
Originally posted by willRules
I prefer X-23 as a Wolverine rip off.
thumb up

srankmissingnin
I imagine a lot of it has to do with two major factors. The first, he is a Wolverine clone, so its popular to hate on him. Secondly, he looks like a d-bag. Mohawk and tribal tattoos? Come on buddy.

He is an extremely interesting character though, and I'm inclined to believe that anyone who doesn't like him as a character, simply hasn't been reading Dark Wolverine. I hate Daniele Way with the fiery passion of a thousand exploiting suns, but I love Daken's Machiavellian ways. He is a schemer and a manipulator and he does it oh so very well. At the very least he is certainly a much deeper and more complex character than "*daddy issues* I'm sad *teen angst* I think I'll cut myself" X-23.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Digi
You people see ads?

what do you mean "you people"?

willRules
Originally posted by -Pr-
what do you mean "you people"?

It's not the MAN who has been keeping us down, it's the MODS.

Original Smurph
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I imagine a lot of it has to do with two major factors. The first, he is a Wolverine clone, so its popular to hate on him. Secondly, he looks like a d-bag. Mohawk and tribal tattoos? Come on buddy.

He is an extremely interesting character though, and I'm inclined to believe that anyone who doesn't like him as a character, simply hasn't been reading Dark Wolverine. I hate Daniele Way with the fiery passion of a thousand exploiting suns, but I love Daken's Machiavellian ways. He is a schemer and a manipulator and he does it oh so very well. At the very least he is certainly a much deeper and more complex character than "*daddy issues* I'm sad *teen angst* I think I'll cut myself" X-23. thumb up

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by srankmissingnin

He is an extremely interesting character though, and I'm inclined to believe that anyone who doesn't like him as a character, simply hasn't been reading Dark Wolverine. I hate Daniele Way with the fiery passion of a thousand exploiting suns, but I love Daken's Machiavellian ways. He is a schemer and a manipulator and he does it oh so very well. At the very least he is certainly a much deeper and more complex character than "*daddy issues* I'm sad *teen angst* I think I'll cut myself" X-23.
In a universe where theres Doom, Thanos, Kang,Red Skull, Loki, a machiavellian wolverine clone is a meh to a lot of fans. Especially when his grand schemes aren't really as interesting as his fellow manipulators considering two of them have huge things in the works currently. Add to that loeb is trying to do the exact same thing with Red Hulk, its just getting real redundant and feels real cheap. And I agree, looking like a d-bag doesn't help either.

Wild Shadow
is being a cheap carbon copy of an already existing character who already happens to have better versions and variations with decades of history not enough for you?

wild child
albert
sabretooth
deadpool
maverick
lady deathstrike

now if that isnt bad enough to shoe horn daken into logan's already established comic history wasnt bad enough and insulting to long time readers and especially the past writers..

only good clones are canon fodder knock offs that dont last long and are killed off inside mini's for various reasons like being imperfect.

the only good logan clone with an iota of saving grace is X-23..

everything else is garbage even the native chick was gracefully killed off as soon as she was shown that is the way it should have bn for daken.

Disappear
maverick's hardly a wolverine rip-off. if anything his character got more wolverine-ized when they made him into agent zero.

Wild Shadow
prett much any member of the weapon X program was made a little wolvernish.. like i said variations of the character not exact copies..

maverick was a stealth fighter good enough to get close to wolverine without logan knowing he was near... mavericks HF was also shown to be good enough to survive evisceration even with the legacy virus in his system.. making reference to it still functioning and not being as good as it once was.. also maverick is very old to but still looked young..

to me he was what wolverine would have bn like if he stayed with the black ops program and guns and stuff...

Bouboumaster
I like the character

xmarksthespot
I think the character design is quite awful. Beyond that I don't really care one way or the other about him...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.