Why sequels to the OT would be bad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
I saw a recent Yahoo article in passing. Again, it was criticizing George Lucas for what happened in the PT (God, what a dead horse to flog), and saying he should have made sequels instead. Why didn't he?

This is why:

http://www.cracked.com/article/167_5-reasons-star-wars-sequels-would-be-worse-than-prequels/

JediRobin23
hmm, good point on how its would have made star wars even worse making sequals. Whats the point of EU but to repeat things over and over. Darkness takes over, eventually good comes back, then darkness again, and so forth

Sith Master X
I know, I'm stick and tired of the PT stuff too roughrider. People have to start moving passed the fact that these movies weren't what they were expecting, instead of thinking they were bad films. I don't know why people bash the PT as a whole either after ROTS. The last 3rd of the PT was pure greatness, while the last third of the OT wasn't all too spiffy to be honest.

I just don't get why most SW fans out there are too focused on trashing the PT because they were different, rather than also acknowledging the fact that the OT wasn't perfect either. Better acting, better dialogue? Sure. Myself, I find myself having more fun with the PT. Sure, they aren't as strong story wise, but I don't care. It's campy fun and that's why I love them.

Oh well.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by Sith Master X
I know, I'm stick and tired of the PT stuff too roughrider. People have to start moving passed the fact that these movies weren't what they were expecting, instead of thinking they were bad films. I don't know why people bash the PT as a whole either after ROTS. The last 3rd of the PT was pure greatness, while the last third of the OT wasn't all too spiffy to be honest.

I just don't get why most SW fans out there are too focused on trashing the PT because they were different, rather than also acknowledging the fact that the OT wasn't perfect either. Better acting, better dialogue? Sure. Myself, I find myself having more fun with the PT. Sure, they aren't as strong story wise, but I don't care. It's campy fun and that's why I love them.

Oh well.

I agree that ROTS was much better than the first two, but it is still very flawed. It still doesn't mesh with the OT like it should.

roughrider
One thing that has been said in another article, is that Lucas should have realized his fans wanted sequels( in the opinion of the writer.)

They are dead wrong about that. Fans wanted more movies somehow, but no one went 'ugh' at the idea of prequels.

Fans may vary all over the map about the quality of the PT, but one thing I think we all agree on is: we wanted to see what happened before. It was hugely important to the mythos.

Zoom
Originally posted by roughrider
One thing that has been said in another article, is that Lucas should have realized his fans wanted sequels( in the opinion of the writer.)

They are dead wrong about that. Fans wanted more movies somehow, but no one went 'ugh' at the idea of prequels.

Fans may vary all over the map about the quality of the PT, but one thing I think we all agree on is: we wanted to see what happened before. It was hugely important to the mythos.

You are totally right. I think most fans wanted to see an origins story of some kind. Sadly it didn't work out the way we wanted.

queeq
I don't remember Lucas asking the fans anything.

roughrider
Originally posted by queeq
I don't remember Lucas asking the fans anything.

No. Should he be admired for that?

There's a simple equation in his mind: I make the film I want to see. If the fans don't like it, they don't come.
He always cites the case of 'More American Graffiti' being a dud.
The box office receipts and DVD sales for the PT says he's not wrong.

queeq
I think it's okay that he does whatever he wants. We can be disappointed though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.