Super 8

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robtard
Did a search, nothing popped up, was surprised.

Super 8, new film from JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg. Saw the trailer in Iron Man 2.

Set in 1979, has to do with Area 51.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkvKfmaVFJg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_8_%28film%29

Ms.Marvel
typical abrams style trailer lol

looks moderately intresting...

The Nuul
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel

thumb up

Robtard

Don't lie, you're dieing to know what was breaking through those steel-reinforced doors.

The Nuul
This is the same thing JJ did for Clover....IMO his sytle of trailers will get old pretty soon.

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by Robtard
Don't lie, you're dieing to know what was breaking through those steel-reinforced doors.

well its some kinda monster obviously >_>

TBH i dont like science fiction that much... ill go see it if my friends want to or my boyfriend wants to though.

Quincy
Abrams is top titties. Pretty pumped for Super 8

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Quincy
Abrams is top titties. Pretty pumped for Super 8

Agreed with this guy; top titties indeed, I'll definitely be seeing this.

Robtard
well its some kinda monster obviously >_>

TBH i dont like science fiction that much... ill go see it if my friends want to or my boyfriend wants to though.

Doesn't have to be, could be some super-man/woman. But you're likely right.

B-boyfriend!? You whore.

Ms.Marvel
i was going to tell you! sad

Robtard
*Ms.Marvel is on your ignore list*

Ms.Marvel
sad

BruceSkywalker
trailer looked all right after I saw it..

nothing really spectacular popped out...

hope its a good/decent cast, perhaps anna torv or evangeline lilly may show up

Kazenji
Only just checked out the trailer and yes it does look intresting.

jinXed by JaNx
I'm definitely looking forward to this. Although, the date which this movie takes place in has me a bit concerned.

KingD19
Super 8...sounds like a robot.

RE: Blaxican
Sounds like a... car.

Kazenji
The Full-Length Super 8 Trailer

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=75138

lol @ Rob's butthurt up above. I didn't notice that earlier.

steverules_2
This is gonna be pretty obvious, everyone dies but the kids and maybe a grown up or two to make it seem somewhat realistic

Robtard
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
lol @ Rob's butthurt up above. I didn't notice that earlier.

**** you, man.

steverules_2
Oh dear...it's Jerry Springer

General_Iroh
Meh, maybe it's not evil, and then perhaps it can come back and kill that f'n cloverfield monster. In "Super Cloverfield"

Robtard
It's a human super-soldier the government created with the use of recovered alien DNA and tech from the Roswell/Area 51 crash site and it's gone rogue.

The Nuul
Van Damme?

Robtard
Originally posted by The Nuul
Van Damme?

EeKUA3Z8wd4

Esau Cairn
The military finally captured E.T. & shot him up full of gamma rays?

CadoAngelus
I was gonna say it looks like a mixture between: E.T.; The Incredible Hulk; Jumanji; and Pocahontis meets Alien.

john razor
I have watched some part of the movie.It was interesting but no mor4e then i have expected.

Kazenji
Well its alot of good reviews from what i've seen of them anyway.

**** you, man. If it makes you feel any better, her man's a moron.

Bardock42
If it makes you feel any better, her man's a moron.

It must. It means she goes for Rob's type.

Wolfie
I don't see what everyone is excited about to be honest.

ericsaffold

FistOfThe North
y'all're all clueless. woody allen's the one trying to break outta that caboose. steven and j.j. pulled the old high school locker prank on allen and pushed him in and closed and locked the freight door as the train departed. (too bad about the derailing) but if you listen closely as he punches away you can hear allen faintly saying "c'mon guys' lemme out. jeez, unbelievable." he sounds very muffled but it's his voice, distinctly.

ha. na. i'm looking forward to this movie though. more so that any other film this season actually. i wish steven directed it but J.J.'ll do. he seems a very promising director.

by the way, any word on a cloverfield 2 anyone?

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Wolfie
I don't see what everyone is excited about to be honest.

I was excited because im a fan of monster and alien movies but after seeing Super 8 today i must say im disappointed. Its not necessarily a bad movie and i f i were twelve years old i probably would have had a blast but im not twelve and i didnt have a blast. I was actually bored. I dont usually fault a movie for being predictable and cliche but i expected more from Abrhams. This one is definitely a rental. Id give it a 6/10. On a side note, i thought the child actors did a good job.

srankmissingnin
As an homage to classic Steven Spielberg it was pretty much what I expected before I started hearing negative word of mouth from people I know. I had low expectations when I went in and I have to say that I was blown away. It might not up to par with ET, or other ET homages like Iron Giant, but it is still a really strong film. The group of kids they have are great, and the story is mostly a character piece about them coming to age set against the backdrop of this creature feature, so I didn't really mind that the creature didn't have as much of a role as an ET or Iron Giant, because really he wasn't that important. I'd recommend people see it if they have an affinity for those classic Spielberg of the 70s and 80s. My only real complaint is with the lens flare, cool that shit out JJ. Just don't go to the theater thinking this is a horror movie, which is an impression I think the trailer gave a lot of people.

Robtard
That actually makes it seem better, I'd rather watch a 'Stand By Me' type of flick to the back-door of a creature-feature, then just another "RAWR! I'm a monster and I'm here to kill' turd that Hollywood spits out.

Robtard
Originally posted by Bardock42
It must. It means she goes for Rob's type.

**** you, man.

BruceSkywalker
is this worth seeing?

does the creature resemble past monsters?

ares834
Great film. Probably the best I have seen yet this year. Anyway srankmissingnin nailed it right on the head in his review.

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
does the creature resemble past monsters?

Not really. Although it reminded me of a smaller version of the monster in Cloverfield

roughrider
Originally posted by ares834
Great film. Probably the best I have seen yet this year.

I agree. I just got back from seeing it, and thought it was fantastic. My favourite film of the year so far.
I was also about the same age as these kids were in 1979, so the setting mixed with all the homages to Close Encounters Of The Third Kind and E.T gave me such a warm glow; actually had a tear by the end.

Myth
The homages almost bordered on ripping off to me. I liked most of the film, but the ending was too sappy and cheesy considering how much damage was done. I also thought it was a cop out when nearly every person the monster grabbed to be used as food turned out to stay alive and never actually got eaten.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Myth
The homages almost bordered on ripping off to me. I liked most of the film, but the ending was too sappy and cheesy considering how much damage was done. I also thought it was a cop out when nearly every person the monster grabbed to be used as food turned out to stay alive and never actually got eaten.

The girl, the woman with curlers and a cop. Thats only 3 people. He was shown chewing on the leg of another (someone they didnt show whom he must have grabbed) so for all you know, he could have taken more people to feed on.

Better safe than sorry.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by ares834
Great film. Probably the best I have seen yet this year. Anyway srankmissingnin nailed it right on the head in his review.

Not really. Although it reminded me of a smaller version of the monster in Cloverfield

thanks ares, i'll see it soon

Kazenji
Quite a good movie, I enjoyed it and i liked it how we got to see the movie the kids we're working on during the credits

3.5/5

Darth Martin
Meh, X-Men: First Class was way better.

Mr. Rhythmic
I am mixed on it. The scenes that were good were REALLY good, but overall the film was so incredibly lacking for me. It felt like a thin outline to an in depth 2 1/2 hour movie.
The film had some great special effects scenes and heartwarming moments. However, it was far too short for the character arcs it wanted to do, some characters were completely unnecessary, and the monster was a major copout. The kids would vary from cute to irritating, and the dad would vary from heroic to random dick. And the whole "let's spend 1 1/2 hours NOT showing the main event" really irritated me, especially since when we finally see it, you can hardly even tell what it looks like! And the monster even felt like a subplot to the generic evil military, an idea that could've been handled better in a longer film. However, there was some great acting (Elle Fanning blowing me away with her magnificent performance), and some legitimately good scenes. The best scenes, however, were about the kids making a different movie that was actually superior to the main film. The main kid and the pyro were incredibly annoying, though.
Overall, I suggest not spending much money on it, though it does have entertainment value. I'll be lenient for the stuff I did like and give it a 3 out of 5, though a 2 would make more sense.

Darth Martin
The movie sucked. Period. Surprising since I liked Cloverfield and loved Star Trek.

Myth
Originally posted by Mairuzu
The girl, the woman with curlers and a cop. Thats only 3 people. He was shown chewing on the leg of another (someone they didnt show whom he must have grabbed) so for all you know, he could have taken more people to feed on.

Better safe than sorry.

My point wasn't that nobody died, it was that nobody we had any connection to ended up dying. The only character that we know who was actually killed by the monster is the bad military guy. It came across as too family friendly with its ending where it goes "oh, every who we thought was dead are actually alive, yay!" That just feels cheesing and makes it feel too much like a kids movie for me. They did the same thing in the movie Monster House. That is not a movie I was hoping to compare Super 8 to. In the end, by showing every character live, it changes the feel for me from 'they survived a horrible monster attach' to 'oh, the situation wasn't as severe as we thought.'

Kazenji
Originally posted by Darth Martin
The movie sucked. Period. Surprising since I liked Cloverfield and loved Star Trek.

heard you the first time.

movietrailersfa

The Nuul
This was disappointing. It just ended up being a Spielberg tribute layered on top of Cloverfield.

roselina
I just watch the trailer of this movie.... I am very excited to watch this movie..
I think this is a nice movie..........

Patient_Leech
So it sounds like this is at least worth checking out? I liked Cloverfield and Star Trek, so i'm certainly willing to give it a shot..

master52
Super 8 movie was good to watch but not so much interesting.i watched it and i think it was ok.this movie was about In the summer of 1979, Joe Lamb (Joel Courtney), a 14-year-old boy living in the fictional town of Lillian, Ohio, has lost his mother in a factory accident. Louis Dainard (Ron Eldard) comes to the wake, but Joe's father, Deputy Jackson Lamb (Kyle Chandler), takes Dainard in handcuffs. It is later revealed that Jackson blames Dainard for the former's wife's death because he was absent during his shift and she had to fill in for him.so it was ok for me...

roughrider
This was disappointing. It just ended up being a Spielberg tribute layered on top of Cloverfield.

We seem to disagree on most everything.

mardook
I don't know if I ever reviewed this movie yet. I saw it awhile ago and I have to say that it was nothing special. Spielberg and JJ Abrahams obviously have a kiddy pedo thing happening here. Moreso evident with the camera lovingly ****ing the young girls mouth during the lipstick scene. Seriously, people gushed over this?! I am saying, most gushed buckets I imagine. Perverts! Anytime I watch a movie were two young child actors are forced to act sexual or attracted to one another. It screams PEDO! i'm kidding... this movie sucked though. laughing out loud

rudester
it was such a great movie...right on the money.

Patient_Leech

I just watched this. I tend to kind of agree. It was charming, but kind of lame at the same time. Might as well have been Cloverfield 2.

Kazenji
How was it like cloverfield in anyway

it was nothing like it.

They're nothing alike. The only possible similarities it has to clover field is that there's a monster, you don't know what it looks like till three quarters of the way into the movie, and there's a camera involved.

dadudemon
The only possible similarities it has to clover field is that there's a monster, you don't know what it looks like till three quarters of the way into the movie, and there's a camera involved.

Sounds like you described both movies, very well, just now. no expression

I have not see Super 8, yet. So I will reserve my judgment until then. Still in teh queueueueueeueueueueue!

Patient_Leech
Uuhh... they're both creature-features to some extent with human drama surrounding it. I don't see how anyone could not see the similarities. They only feel a little bit different because Cloverfield used the hand-held camera gimmick while Super 8 has a more Spielbergian directorial style. (I might have just made up the word "directorial," lol I dunno)

Nephthys
The monster in this movie does look quite alot like the Cloverfield monster imo.

http://images.wikia.com/cloverfield/images/e/ea/Cloverfield3.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/godzilla/images/7/75/Clover.jpg

http://spielbergfanclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Super-8-alien.jpg

The face is different but they're both grey, long multi-legged monsters. The heads the same shape, the texture is the same, they have the same walk and leg shape and theres just a wierd feeling that makes me think they were animated by the same team. No joke as I watched the movie i got Cloverfield vibes.

Maybe you guys are all just dumb unlike me.

Kazenji
One gets captured by the US Army meanwhile the other does'nt

yeah so much like Cloverfield.

ares834
Yeah the storyline is pretty much completely different.

But yeah the creatures do look similar probably because both movies had Abrams work on them.

NemeBro
They don't look that similar to be honestly.

Also, Jesus, the Cloverfield monster looks so much goofier in pictures lol.

Placidity

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by NemeBro
Also, Jesus, the Cloverfield monster looks so much goofier in pictures lol.

They're both pretty goofy. That reminds me of something else annoying about Super 8: whatever happened to real life animatronics? It's always better. Worked very nicely for Jurassic Park, so it should be used more frequently.

erm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.