The Heroic Age

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

HueyFreeman
Not sure if a thread was created yet but now that siege is over I wanted to get everyones thoughts on some of the comics coming out for the heroic age. I am happy we will see the return of characters like helmut zemo and kang the conquerer but less than optimistic about Bendis in charge of the main avengers title as well as Ed Brubaker returning helmut to a one-note villian again.

HueyFreeman
Liked this cover

bbrem123
yea that cover is awesome^

hopefully the heroic age is better then siege...cuz marvel failed pretty hard with that one

StiltmanFTW
Event as a whole wasn't bad, I liked it.

bbrem123
true...the end was lacking lol...hows that...they could have explained alot more about sentry too.

StiltmanFTW
Marvel's not done with him yet, most likely. This whole Angel of Death thing needs to be explored further.

bbrem123
i agree completely....maybe that is what bendis is doing...he will suprise us all during the heroic age with sentry or something...hopefully lol

it would make alot of sense if he did do something like that

maybe seige was just the beinging...one can hope

BruceSkywalker
the heroic i hope will be good.. i will be buying most of the issues

Ms.Marvel
so now that siege is over, does this mean the end of events for awhile? is the universe going to go back to mostly people just doing their own thing?

kgkg
Woot Zemo is back!

StiltmanFTW
I will miss Dark Reign sad And registration act...

Kazenji
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Marvel's not done with him yet, most likely. This whole Angel of Death thing needs to be explored further.

Angel of death??

hmmmmm maybe Ghost Rider could beat the shit outta of Sentry

Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
so now that siege is over, does this mean the end of events for awhile? is the universe going to go back to mostly people just doing their own thing?

Well some of the characters have been doing their own thing during Siege

Punisher, X-men...

willRules
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel

I imagine that there will be crossovers and multiple title spanning, MU threats. I also imagine that the only difference between now and before is that event comics simply won't be labelled an "event" yet will still contain just as much hype.....

.....but that's just cynical old me smile

Warlord
Why can't they go back with the individual story books. I'm fed up with all those events. I'd like some issues to be able to stand alone and not to have to fit in a major ark to make sence.
Things were dimplier and prettier back then..wink

H. S. 6
Is anyone else disappointed that Romita Jr. will be drawing the new Avengers series?

I know people like his art, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out why.

The Pict
I will miss Dark Reign sad And registration act...

Me too

Originally posted by H. S. 6
Is anyone else disappointed that Romita Jr. will be drawing the new Avengers series?

I know people like his art, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out why.

Yeah his artwork sucks IMO

Omgu8mynewt
What is heroic age? And what does it mean for the only series is kinda follow, xmen?

BlackZero30x
well its kinda like the exiting out of siege/dark reign and back to the way things were. Hence "The Heroic Age"

I Hope the avengers will be good!

Bentley
Seems like Kang is back fighting against the Avengers, I hope is big stuff.

scifinut
since they got rid of the registration act, does that mean civil war was all for nothing?

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Omgu8mynewt
What is heroic age? And what does it mean for the only series is kinda follow, xmen?

Less Cyclops sanctioned kill squads?

vansonbee
Originally posted by scifinut
since they got rid of the registration act, does that mean civil war was all for nothing? This is what consider a recton

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by vansonbee
This is what consider a recton

Nope. A retcon is retro active continuity, this is just a return to the status quo. For it to be a retcon they would have to change what happened so Civil War never took place, in this case they just made it inconsequential.

willRules
Yeah, although Marvel would argue that it's not inconsequential, it's seeing the outcome of Civil War if Cap's side won.....

But I agree with you, it's a return to status quo.

BruceSkywalker
anyone read avengers #1 yet, I have the issue but haven't read it yet..

Originally posted by willRules
Yeah, although Marvel would argue that it's not inconsequential, it's seeing the outcome of Civil War if Cap's side won.....

But I agree with you, it's a return to status quo.

nice sig and avy

srankmissingnin
I did but wasn't feeling it. JRJR isn't suited to Avengers and the story doesn't make any sense.

The Avengers aren't strong enough to beat Ultron, apparently the Next Avengers were the only ones powerful enough to do it... so... the Avengers have to go to the future and beat the Next Avengers instead? WTF. Also... the Next Avengers? As though those pre-teen losers are a threat to anyone. I wouldn't even give them decent odds against the Run Aways, Young Avengers or any of the student X-Men rosters.

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I did but wasn't feeling it. JRJR isn't suited to Avengers and the story doesn't make any sense.

The Avengers aren't strong enough to beat Ultron, apparently the Next Avengers were the only ones powerful enough to do it... so... the Avengers have to go to the future and beat the Next Avengers instead? WTF. Also... the Next Avengers? As though those pre-teen losers are a threat to anyone. I wouldn't even give them decent odds against the Run Aways, Young Avengers or any of the student X-Men rosters.

Not to mention Kang has access to over a millenia of tech and he chooses something from iron mans gallery of all things. The only problem the avengers have with ultron is hes like a weed, as long as a small portion of his tech exists, he cant be killed. They are just trying to get readers to buy the Next Avengers dvd that came out a while ago. Its a little late for advertisements now.

jalek moye

wait a second Didn't Hulk defeat Ultron in that continuty? i think something else is up

Bentley
I don't think Kang is straight up saying the truth, from what he said it seems there is something else in stake.

Darth Vicious
Maria Hill looks horrendous in that issue.

willRules
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
nice sig and avy

Cheers. I'm loving your Iron-man sig thumb up

Digi
I'm not sure what you guys are upset about. The Avengers launch was pretty cool.

As usual, the griping seems to be about power level and feats, except this time for future incarnations of characters we barely know in the first place, and about events of which we clearly don't have the full story.

srug

I do dislike how quickly Stark/Cap was dealt with so quickly and painlessly. That deserved it's own one-shot or something, not a couple pages of dialogue that kept getting interrupted with comic relief. Their ideological struggle was what drove CW, which was probably the best of the "events" preceding this Heroic Age.

Rage.Of.Olympus
There is a five issue mini titled "Avenger's Prime" which takes place right after Siege which focuses on the three trying to patch things up.

BruceSkywalker
finally read the first issue, it could have been better..

Cheers. I'm loving your Iron-man sig thumb up

thanks

jalek moye
I always had a feeling that those kids would wind up in comics at some point

willRules
Originally posted by Digi
Their ideological struggle was what drove CW, which was probably the best of the "events" preceding this Heroic Age.

Totally agree. This is partly why Siege was such a let down. This is why I consider Mark Millar to be up there with the great comic writers of our generation. Civil War for all its faults, really did change the MU and had the potential (if not for the events of Siege) to do something that very rarely happens in comics. Have a change that stuck. The SHRA was a great plot device and whilst it did make villains of the pro-reg a bit more than was probably intended by the writers, at least it was a Marvel event that said "things will never be the same again" and they weren't.....

......at least until Siege.

It's kind of sad really. Many people (myself included) skeptically saw Secret Invasion as the reset button for the events of MU since "Disassembled." Turns out we were wrong. Siege was that button.

WhiteWitchKing

The Avengers aren't immortal. They can be killed if Ultron had enough prep on his side. He's got more than enough time on his hand to eventually take them, which apparently he did.

As for Kang, not sure what his role in this is. The ending with the Hulk makes his role in this suspect. And yeah, we don't know how their kids beat Ultron. I don't think the cartoon is canon to this story.

Starscream M
I'm not sure what you guys are upset about. The Avengers launch was pretty cool.

. ummm....Avengers #1 was horseshit

1. the art is HORRENDOUS. I mean I could draw better with my left foot while enebriated than the hack who did the first issue. ugh, seriously the art alone is making me not want to read the comic.

2. the dialogue is like Marvel Adventures...ie written for 10 yr olds. Its like instead of it taking place after siege, its taking place as if siege was just a dream.

3. the plot so far seems stupid and again like something out of Marvel adventure.

I'm disguested with the first issue. I hope the other heroic age titles are better.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Bendis' dialogue is ridiculously bad. It's actually painful to read times. I don't really have a problem with it as he actually does Thor fine and seems to write the character pretty well (At least compared to the others.). Even the dialogue is fine. Or maybe it's because Thor was silent for most of the issue. Either way, I don't give a horseshit about the others so I'm content.

Looking back at Siege though, I realize how much better Coipel's art made Bendis' work.

Have Liefield draw a co written Bendis/Loeb/Austen comic. The Universe would like implode.

Digi
I guess I was reading it as sort of a throwback piece to literal golden age comics. As such, the dialogue came off as humorous and cheeky instead of patronizing or childish. Because yes, it's not at today's standards otherwise.

The Kang moment was hilarious though, you have to admit.

"I AM KANG!!! I come to warn..."
*KRA-BOOM*
...and Thor boots him across the street. It was a rare literal lol for me while reading a comic, because it's the exact opposite of the pontificating you normally get in "hammy" comics. And despite his stated intentions, Thor was like "nope, you're the bad guy. See ya."

But still, like I said, miffed at Tony/Steve. Awesome opportunity for character development there. Unless it remains a boiling tension to be resolved later, it was an AWFUL way to sidestep it.

JakeTheBank
Eh, I'm torn with the Avengers first issue relaunch. Story is a bit odd, art a bit more so, but I'm giving it a shot nonetheless. Also, did anyone else send in their pictures for that IAmAnAvenger thing?

Warlord
ART 5/10
STORY 6/10

OVERALL: I was expecting more...

Kazenji
Its only the first issue not all series start off with a bang.

Warlord
Indeed... anyway it is the artwork that ws a shock for me mostly

Starscream M
I guess I was reading it as sort of a throwback piece to literal golden age comics. As such, the dialogue came off as humorous and cheeky instead of patronizing or childish. Because yes, it's not at today's standards otherwise.

The Kang moment was hilarious though, you have to admit.

"I AM KANG!!! I come to warn..."
*KRA-BOOM*
...and Thor boots him across the street. It was a rare literal lol for me while reading a comic, because it's the exact opposite of the pontificating you normally get in "hammy" comics. And despite his stated intentions, Thor was like "nope, you're the bad guy. See ya."

But still, like I said, miffed at Tony/Steve. Awesome opportunity for character development there. Unless it remains a boiling tension to be resolved later, it was an AWFUL way to sidestep it.

Ok, I could see it as a throwback to literal golden age of comics...but why are we going back to the golden age?

I mean, comics have EVOLVED. they're more realistic, characters are more multidimensional, dialogue is more interesting...all of which are the opposite during the golden age.

golden age comics (I don't mind reading comics from that era) because they were revolutionary as a literary form for THAT time.

I also feel like this is a marketing gimick, part of trying to get a mass appeal where parents can buy comics for kids again where comic book characters can serve as 'role models'.

also, the art makes me that much less tolerant.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Starscream M

I also feel like this is a marketing gimick, part of trying to get a mass appeal where parents can buy comics for kids again where comic book characters can serve as 'role models'.

I doubt it especally when Marvel is still releasing comics under its MAX label (well one title these days) and you've still got Wolverine chopping people apart in his comics.

roughrider
since they got rid of the registration act, does that mean civil war was all for nothing?

Yep. Tony "Mr. Futurist" Stark & Reed "Everything is solved by numbers" Richards look like fools at the end of the day.
Tony got his comeuppance. I'm still waiting for Reed to get his - don't quite feel he got it during Dark Reign.

And I do like Romita Jr.'s artwork. I remember not liking it back in the 1980's, but then I thought artists that didn't draw like John Byrne or George Perez weren't worth it. Now I actually prefer someone with an impressionistic edge. JRJR's work is actually helped by working with inkers with a thick, heavy style - Klaus Janson & Tom Palmer have made his work look dynamic on several titles.

Digi
Ok, I could see it as a throwback to literal golden age of comics...but why are we going back to the golden age?

I mean, comics have EVOLVED. they're more realistic, characters are more multidimensional, dialogue is more interesting...all of which are the opposite during the golden age.

golden age comics (I don't mind reading comics from that era) because they were revolutionary as a literary form for THAT time.

also, the art makes me that much less tolerant.

Art aside, do all comics have to be gritty and realistic? I see your complaints here as more of a personal taste thing than anything else. If you don't like Avengers, you have plenty of other choices. Pick up whatever Ellis is writing or has recently written, he'll probably be more your style.

Also, hardcore comic fans aren't writers' audience. We're going to follow comics, sour to some writers, love others, etc. regardless of what they do or write. And, unfortunately enough, their target audience is much younger than most of us. There's a high "drop" rate among comic fans after about age 18, but the majority of comic readers at any given point are 14-19 year old males. So yes, there needs to be some family appeal. That's why Spider-Man was rebooted, the Avengers are getting rebooted, etc. Kids can easily follow them again, and the vocal minority that hates it is just that, a minority.

More than anything, though, I'm just never one to overreact. Especially to one issue. Part of me hates the monthly comic format, because the large majority of comics are better when read as coherent arcs (usually 4-8 issues).

Bentley
I actually liked the art, kind of rough in the edges, but nothing short of fitting with its propose.

Starscream M
Art aside, do all comics have to be gritty and realistic?

I never said that all comics have to be gritty and realistic. That's what I thought Marvel Adventures were for?

But it makes little sense to act almost as if the siege didn't happen. To go from gritty and realistic to suddenly innocent golden age with no explanation is odd. There should be SOME fallout from what just happened...instead everyone's acting like they just woke up from some form of amnesia.

Also, the art sux.

WhiteWitchKing

No. We got Dark Reign and a handful of other stories from Civil War. It's still in continuity and establishes a dark time in Marvel his that can be referenced and used for future stories.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
No. We got Dark Reign and a handful of other stories from Civil War. It's still in continuity and establishes a dark time in Marvel his that can be referenced and used for future stories.

Word. thumb up

-Pr-
http://a.yfrog.com/img210/9081/nwv.jpg

Bentley
Does anyone else think its stupid to have a team of "New Avengers" in which four characters will be already in -at least- another team?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Bentley
Does anyone else think its stupid to have a team of "New Avengers" in which four characters will be already in -at least- another team?

*raises hand*

I didn't think that Spidey and Logan would be on the main Avengers team, too. They should both just stick solely to the New Avengers roster and put someone like Pym and/or Quicksilver on the main team.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
*raises hand*

I didn't think that Spidey and Logan would be on the main Avengers team, too. They should both just stick solely to the New Avengers roster and put someone like Pym and/or Quicksilver on the main team.

Logan is on way too many teams

Warlord
he should be in the next JLA line up too stick out tongue

vansonbee
Logan is on way too many teams AGREED! KILL HIM! mad stick out tongue

About Heroic Age, Avengers#1. Wasn't this arc premade a year before?

Also wondering about Evil Hulk origin

Digi

This is news? It's beening a running joke even among the comics themselves for several years now.

StiltmanFTW
Good issue. Who knows, maybe Heroic Age won't be so bad after all.

Kazenji

Tell us something we don't know bruce.

-Pr-
I just wish they'd reform the classic avengers. steve, tony, thor, hank, janet, clint and maybe bruce (but only rarely). let the new avengers have their own team.

srankmissingnin
The Avengers is supposed to be the best of the best of the Marvel U, all the top A list heroes in one place, hence the inclusion of Wolverine and Spider-man. Quite frankly it didn't make sense them not being members before. If you want to see the A list DC heroes interact and play off each other, you pick up JLA - there should be an equivalent title in Marvel. Thats what this new Avengers is supposed to be, although I'm not sure I have faith in the creative team.

-Pr-
The Avengers is supposed to be the best of the best of the Marvel U, all the top A list heroes in one place, hence the inclusion of Wolverine and Spider-man. Quite frankly it didn't make sense them not being members before. If you want to see the A list DC heroes interact and play off each other, you pick up JLA - there should be an equivalent title in Marvel. Thats what this new Avengers is supposed to be, although I'm not sure I have faith in the creative team.

the JLA isn't the a-list, though, and hasn't been for over a decade if not longer (even going back to the satellite years). even when you had superman, wonder woman and green lantern, there was still vixen, major disaster, zauriel etc. it was always a balance.

i'd take hank pym and hawkeye over wolverine or spider-man any day. they've earned their status more than once.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by -Pr-
the JLA isn't the a-list, though, and hasn't been for over a decade if not longer (even going back to the satellite years). even when you had superman, wonder woman and green lantern, there was still vixen, major disaster, zauriel etc. it was always a balance.

i'd take hank pym and hawkeye over wolverine or spider-man any day. they've earned their status more than once.

It's not all A-list sure but the A list where still on the team.

It isn't all A-List on the Avengers either though, Hawkeye, Mockingbird and Spider-woman all appear to on the standard roster with the A-listers. Honestly though, I move a bigger problem with Hawkeye, Mockingbird and Spider-woman on the team than Spidy and Wolverine. If you are going to make a commitment to placing all the A list heroes on one team in spite of their power set then at least pad out the rest of the spots with characters who aren't completely redundant. Right now there is a team with Wolverine, Spider-man, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Spider-woman, and Captain America, do they really bring a lot to the table when they are all on the same team? Thats not a hole lot of power there and I don't think Iron-man and Thor are enough to balance it out on their own, especially when this is the team that is supposed to deal with the biggest threats around. They should drop Spider-woman, Hawkeye and Mockingbird, in place of Mrs. Marvel, and I don't know... Nova would be awesome.

-Pr-

It isn't all A-List on the Avengers either though, Hawkeye, Mockingbird and Spider-woman all appear to on the standard roster with the A-listers. Honestly though, I move a bigger problem with Hawkeye, Mockingbird and Spider-woman on the team than Spidy and Wolverine. If you are going to make a commitment to placing all the A list heroes on one team in spite of their power set then at least pad out the rest of the spots with characters who aren't completely redundant. Right now there is a team with Wolverine, Spider-man, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Spider-woman, and Captain America, do they really bring a lot to the table when they are all on the same team? Thats not a hole lot of power there and I don't think Iron-man and Thor are enough to balance it out on their own, especially when this is the team that is supposed to deal with the biggest threats around. They should drop Spider-woman, Hawkeye and Mockingbird, in place of Mrs. Marvel, and I don't know... Nova would be awesome.

i just want the classic team back. for me, that was the most balanced. i think logan just simply shouldn't be there. or spidey either.

Badabing
Originally posted by -Pr-
i just want the classic team back. for me, that was the most balanced. i think logan just simply shouldn't be there. or spidey either. Agreed.

I wouldn't mind Spidey and Wolvey making appearances here and there though.

srankmissingnin
Meh. I want to see the A-List Heroes in one place working together. That appeals to me, and if it happens without me having to read a poorly formulated event once a year, then even better. I want to see Spider-man working with Iron-man, Captain America, Thor and Wolverine, just like I want to see Superman working with Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and the Flash. Can Hank Pym and Hawkeye show up too? Why not, Green Arrow and Atom show up in the JLA all the time, but they largely just garnish, not who people are buying the book to see. It does suck that the more popular Marvel characters are closer to street and mid tier than DC's and the cosmic guys are largely isolated from Marvel Earth, but what are you going to do?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Badabing
Agreed.

I wouldn't mind Spidey and Wolvey making appearances here and there though.

me either.

Blair Wind

Hawkeye has no power to bring to the table? Super-deus ex machina-Trick arrows FTW.

Though, is he even Hawkeye anymore? Isn't he Ronin?

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Hawkeye has no power to bring to the table? Super-deus ex machina-Trick arrows FTW.

Though, is he even Hawkeye anymore?

Nothing that Iron-man can't do better. cool

He is Hawkeye again.

Digi
Originally posted by Blair Wind

Though, is he even Hawkeye anymore? Isn't he Ronin?

He's Hawkeye again. They made an amusingly clear point of making sure we knew it in the first issue. I'm fine with him on the team though.

With Maria Hill leading, I'm actually more concerned about Bucky's niche. I mean, Cap leads. It's what he does. He can still be the moral center and all, sure, but some of his symbolic usefulness on the team is compromised by her.

Spider-Man was never perceived as an A-list Avenger type by the heroes themselves. Parker's role is always that of being trodden upon somewhat. yes, he's A-list at Marvel, but to us. I honestly don't think he belongs. And Wolverine...meh. I guess they need him or Spidey to make sure the book sells.

srankmissingnin
I think Maria Hill is more of a team organizer than a leader honestly. She'll be like "this is the problem, this is where it is, deal with it," and then Bucky will step in.

srankmissingnin
Spidy's been in right in the thick of things a lot the past decade though, instead of largely off doing his own thing in NYC. If the Avengers didn't think he could carry his weight before HoM, Civil War, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign and Siege, working side by side with him in the trenches should have changed their minds.

/shrug

Bentley
These Avengers most likely should be accepted in any rooster: Thor, Iron-man, Cap, Pym, Hawkeye, (fixed) Scarlett Witch, Quicksilver and Vision. Those are pretty much "core" Avengers, you may throw in random Hulks and Wonderman to make it even, but going much further starts to make them suck.

Blair Wind
Nothing that Iron-man can't do better. cool

This I can agree with thumb up

Digi
If we're talking only about power sets, then everyone outside of Stark and Thor are redundant. Obviously teams can't be broken down that way or there would be little reason for a lot of them.

Martian_mind
I thought the first Avengers issue kicked ass.

I actually lol'd at Thor's reaction to Kang, and I like that Wonderman is getting his props.

We just need some Vision action and I'll be utterly content.

Bentley
If we're talking only about power sets, then everyone outside of Stark and Thor are redundant. Obviously teams can't be broken down that way or there would be little reason for a lot of them.

Moondragon? Sersi?

Battlehammer
This is news? It's beening a running joke even among the comics themselves for several years now.
this was true well over a year ago.

Logan which people seem unable to grasp or notice was only on two teams for the last two years. New avengers and x-force. x-force is not even a full time, team it simply special opt team for extreme events. He was also a member of new avengers which was another haft time gig.

Battlehammer
I actaully think they may a lot of senses given the context. Prior to capt death he and spiderman ahd grown closes. He also made several refferrences of believing spiderman was underrated by the super hero community and was A class player. Him being put on the main team now that Capt himself gets to pick the team makes a lot of senses.

Wolverine being picked makes lots of senses given what has gone down, if anything with the whole secret invasion event and dark riegn, proves that Iron man was right that a team needs some one who will do what the other avengers can't or won't.

Digi
Moondragon? Sersi?

I'm talking about the current lineup. Clearly there have been other Avengers whose powers don't overlap with the current team. But the lineups are immaterial; the point was that we can't judge a team by power sets and levels or else the lowest bracket would always come out as being worthless. For example: Power-wise, what does Bucky bring to the team that any of the others can't replicate? It's futile to follow such thinking, because if we take it seriously it destroys the concept of the team, and ignores Bucky's role outside of power considerations.

Originally posted by Battlehammer
this was true well over a year ago.

Logan which people seem unable to grasp or notice was only on two teams for the last two years. New avengers and x-force. x-force is not even a full time, team it simply special opt team for extreme events. He was also a member of new avengers which was another haft time gig.

His appearances don't lie. He's been the most often-used character in marvel over the last 5 years. With good reason, mind you, because he sells. But when the characters in the Marvel U are actually making jokes at his expense about how much he gets around to the different events, teams, etc. it's all the confirmation that's needed.

You follow him as much as anyone, and more than most, so you know exactly how much we've seen of him.

Originally posted by Battlehammer
I actaully think they may a lot of senses given the context. Prior to capt death he and spiderman ahd grown closes. He also made several refferrences of believing spiderman was underrated by the super hero community and was A class player. Him being put on the main team now that Capt himself gets to pick the team makes a lot of senses.

Wolverine being picked makes lots of senses given what has gone down, if anything with the whole secret invasion event and dark riegn, proves that Iron man was right that a team needs some one who will do what the other avengers can't or won't.

People seemed to misunderstand my earlier comment about SM. Everyone sees him as A-list, even the heroes. I don't dispute that. Pete's character, however, has never put him in the limelight with these types of heroes. He's looked down upon by society, always sh*t out of luck, etc. Being so lauded with the world's premiere super team doesn't jive with that. He's also, for lack of a better term, a solo act. Even Wolverine, the other big draw, has an origin and history of being on teams. The others have had solo books in the past as well, but we see them as Avengers first (IM, Cap, Hawkeye, etc.).

In other words, if Sesame Street's "One of These Things Is Not Like the Other..." song was playing as I perused the current lineup, I think it would settle on Pete before the others.

Warlord
i'd like to see vision and wanda back on the team

Bentley
@Digi

I think the current line-up is weak relatively speaking (two streetlevelers, Spidey and Wolvie) until they add the new Noh-Varr. I think there was more credit with characters with added flexibility such as SW, Quicksilver, Vision or stuff. Having Thor to be both your powerhouse and your magic specialist is kind of iffy given that it's supposed to be Marvel's best.

I agree though that teams shouldn't be considered only by powerlevels alone, but powersets should play some sort of part in the inclusion.

BlackZero30x
i just picked up my reserves at my shop and Avengers were on that list...at first i kinda thought meh...but the ending kinda pulled me in...makes me think this could turn out to be pretty interesting

Starscream M
The new Thunderbolts looks awesome. I love juggy smile

BruceSkywalker
The new Thunderbolts looks awesome. I love juggy smile

i will be reading that one later

JakeTheBank
I hope that the Avengers titles can reach that same level of awesome that Busiek and Perez were able to tap into...

the Darkone
The Avengers remaineing roster most likely look like Thor, Captain America, spider -woman, hawk eye, Iron Man, Captain Marvel-Noh varr, Wonder Man this might be the line up by issue 3 or 4. Your goona need extra muscle to deal with Maestro Hulk.

JakeTheBank
I also hope Spidey and Logan move from the main roster to the New Avengers one.

Martian_mind
Who wants to take bets that we're going to get a Wonderman vs Thor fight sometime soon?

Warlord
I hope that the Avengers titles can reach that same level of awesome that Busiek and Perez were able to tap into...

thumb up

Warlord
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Who wants to take bets that we're going to get a Wonderman vs Thor fight sometime soon?

Avengers 2 I guess...

JakeTheBank
Simon and Thor should have a decent scuffle.

Warlord
maybe this fight restores him to his proper place

StiltmanFTW
Looking forward to their fight.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Bendis better handle that as it should go, i.e. Wonder Man being a nuisance then being put down unless he gets a boost. His stock has dropped to the point it would just be embarassing to Thor. However Bendis did have it being stated that Simon was as powerful as the Sentry or something similar back in the day so who knows....

Thor shouldn't have a everyday role on the Avengers. It just won't work in my opinion unless Thor gets downgraded like Juggernaut has for Thunderbolts.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Bendis better handle that as it should go, i.e. Wonder Man being a nuisance then being put down unless he gets a boost. His stock has dropped to the point it would just be embarassing to Thor. However Bendis did have it being stated that Simon was as powerful as the Sentry or something similar back in the day so who knows....

Thor shouldn't have a everyday role on the Avengers. It just won't work in my opinion unless Thor gets downgraded like Juggernaut has for Thunderbolts.

Juggy got downgraded? sad Sorry, I haven't read latest T-Bolts. Just say yes or no.

Well, there is a reason people on forums specify "Avengers Thor" in vs threads... wink

Maybe Wonder Man will have help? Or Thor will be absent? Who knows...

jalek moye
Juggy got downgraded? sad Sorry, I haven't read latest T-Bolts. Just say yes or no.

yes he is weaker

BlackZero30x
I also hope Spidey and Logan move from the main roster to the New Avengers one.

Agree'ed

While i liked the original New Avengers and spider-man i just would like a replacement for wolvie and spider-man and wolverine(to a lesser extentlol)....Id like them to be replaced by someone who hasn't had a bunch of face time lately.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by jalek moye
yes he is weaker

How bad it is exactly? sad sad sad

Spider Woman shouldn't be on the team, by the way. Hawkeye is ok.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by BlackZero30x
Agree'ed

While i liked the original New Avengers and spider-man i just would like a replacement for wolvie and spider-man and wolverine(to a lesser extentlol)....Id like them to be replaced by someone who hasn't had a bunch of face time lately.

There's nothing wrong with Logan and Spidey being on Avengers team IMO. They are basically Marvel's Batman and Superman...

Bentley
There's nothing wrong with Logan and Spidey being on Avengers team IMO. They are basically Marvel's Batman and Superman...

For me is just an issue with too many characters in several team roosters. I also feel that they are part of the core of the New Avengers, they make that team good, I hope they keep them.

StiltmanFTW
For me is just an issue with too many characters in several team roosters. I also feel that they are part of the core of the New Avengers, they make that team good, I hope they keep them.

I'd like them to be a part of main Avengers and nothing else. Well, except for Wolverine. He ain't leaving the X-Men.

BlackZero30x

well yea nothing wrong with it at...but i tend to agree that they should be on the new avengers because thats the feel they give me

but regardless of who's on the team the end of the 1st issue kinda made me feel this book could do good....i admittedly was worried about it lol

HueyFreeman
The problem is the idea. Wolverine should have been on the secret avengers, hes a known murderer. Thats not exactly someone you want parading in front of people. Spiderman is meh,

willRules
So just to clarify...old Jim Howlett is part of the.....

X-men
Avengers (main rooster)
New Avengers
X-force

and still has time for solo adventures?

Did I miss any?

StiltmanFTW
So just to clarify...old Jim Howlett is part of the.....

X-men
Avengers (main rooster)
New Avengers
X-force

and still has time for solo adventures?

Did I miss any?

Him being also on New Avengers sucks, yeah.

X-Men? He is just a supporting character.

jalek moye
How bad it is exactly? sad sad sad

We don't know yet it was stated but he hasn't done anything yet to know how bad it is.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by HueyFreeman
The problem is the idea. Wolverine should have been on the secret avengers, hes a known murderer. Thats not exactly someone you want parading in front of people. Spiderman is meh,

It's really unclear what the public knows about Wolverine, SHIELD even kept EotS largely out of the news as much as they could. I'm not sure it is public knowledge that he kills people.

HueyFreeman
It's really unclear what the public knows about Wolverine, SHIELD even kept EotS largely out of the news as much as they could. I'm not sure it is public knowledge that he kills people. Didn't jonah mention he was a known killer in an article when the new avengers formed? Not that the bugle is known for being reliable but still.

willRules
Didn't jonah mention he was a known killer in an article when the new avengers formed? Not that the bugle is known for being reliable but still.

Plus, it is the MU. Spidey's identity was magically concealed. Iron-man has been outed as Tony Stark on a few occasions and it's been a shock to the wider public every time. smile

srankmissingnin
Didn't jonah mention he was a known killer in an article when the new avengers formed? Not that the bugle is known for being reliable but still.

I think the murder he was talking about was Spider-man. Wolverine was an off the books member of the New Avengers at the time, I'm not sure JJ even knew about him. He didn't stand up with the rest of the team at the Avengers press conference.

StiltmanFTW
It's really unclear what the public knows about Wolverine, SHIELD even kept EotS largely out of the news as much as they could. I'm not sure it is public knowledge that he kills people.

Wasn't it stated in Wolverine Weapon X that there are youtube videos of him stabbing people or something...?

JakeTheBank
Well, Avengers Prime was "meh" to me.

BruceSkywalker

yeah same

Battlehammer
Wasn't it stated in Wolverine Weapon X that there are youtube videos of him stabbing people or something...?
yes a lot of them and they gey a lot of hits i believe was stated.

Warlord

I liked it. Cap owns, the art is good and Thor is looking set to kick some ass in next issue

Digi
So the interactions between Cap and Tony were WAAAY different from the Avengers reboot and this week's "Avengers Prime" debut. I hope Bendis bridges the gap between the two, since it seems like Prime is taking place before the team book.

Martian_mind
It is. It's taking place like 5 minutes after Seige.

vansonbee
Originally posted by Martian_mind
It is. It's taking place like 5 minutes after Seige. You sure?

Steve was back in uniform and how can Clint strip Bullseye so quickly for cosplay change?

(I know the writers/artist made it ahead of time) hehe.

roughrider
Since President Obama came out and said the Superhuman Registration Act was Un-American, when can we see Tony & Reed on bended knee to Steve, admitting he was right? stick out tongue

(Especially Reed - a guy who challenges Galactus, but goes after & imprisons his former friends in the negative zone, because a fight with his government is "a fight you can't win." Punk. thumb down )

BlackZero30x
Avengers have been pretty good so far.

BruceSkywalker
Avengers have been pretty good so far.

yeah it has been

Warlord
the story's good but I can't stand the art.
in comparison to secret avengers it seems even worse

axelraptor
Originally posted by Warlord
the story's good but I can't stand the art.
in comparison to secret avengers it seems even worse

you're right the art is kinda bad in avengers more so than secret avengers

Bentley
Yay! Another Avengers book. I really need to have this plot ended by issue 8 but I'm still good and dandy, I kind of hated that they spent so many panels on Tony falling instead of focusing on the fight.

Also I hope the Devil Dinosaur kicks their collective ass*s.

A guy can dream, right? smile

HueyFreeman
Yay! Another Avengers book. I really need to have this plot ended by issue 8 but I'm still good and dandy, I kind of hated that they spent so many panels on Tony falling instead of focusing on the fight.

Also I hope the Devil Dinosaur kicks their collective ass*s.

A guy can dream, right? smile Avengers make me feel like Im reading a loeb book

Warlord
dialogue is too weak IMO...however it has some good feats from Thor (seemingly one shooting the horsemen) and Ironman (seemingly capturing Apocalypse)

Digi
dialogue is too weak IMO...however it has some good feats from Thor (seemingly one shooting the horsemen) and Ironman (seemingly capturing Apocalypse)

The horsemen were still alive when they ported away, and the prison was only temporary. Still, good feats. Just putting them in perspective.

BlackZero30x

Im actually really enjoying The Avengers!

BruceSkywalker
Im actually really enjoying The Avengers!

so am i, but the artwork could be better

BlackZero30x
so am i, but the artwork could be better

yea i think that to...Thor looks kinda like a neanderthal lol

dmills
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus

Thor shouldn't have a everyday role on the Avengers. It just won't work in my opinion unless Thor gets downgraded like Juggernaut has for Thunderbolts. Dude, it's Bendis. He'll say whatever pops into his mind at the moment. He also said Ares = Thor no expression

Digi
I don't have much problem with the artwork, but a lot of the males end up looking similar. Noh-Varr looks exactly like Steve Rogers with the current artist, for example.

Warlord
The horsemen were still alive when they ported away, and the prison was only temporary. Still, good feats. Just putting them in perspective.

of course they were... did you expect Thor to kill them?
he just showed the power to deal with them simultaneously which is nice IMO. the prison was a temporary thing and I think Apocalypse's monologue helped IM contain him but still it was a decent feat for Tony as regards their respective power levels. I want to see more of the new armor.

P.S. I still hate the art and the repetitive lines

Tron
I don't have much problem with the artwork, but a lot of the males end up looking similar. Noh-Varr looks exactly like Steve Rogers with the current artist, for example.

I'm not too fond of Romita's art in this comic. Sometime's his art fits the comic, sometimes it doesn't. This is one of those times where it just doesn't look right, at least to me.

willRules
Originally posted by Tron
I'm not too fond of Romita's art in this comic. Sometime's his art fits the comic, sometimes it doesn't. This is one of those times where it just doesn't look right, at least to me.

Agreed. Kick Ass was some of his best work, his Wolverine: Enemy of the State was great and very few can draw Spidey as well as he can, but a lot of his Avengers look too....blocky I guess. They all look like statues of themselves.

I would love Alan Davis to jump on this book after Avengers Prime. That would be awesome.

Bentley
I have a theory about why Wonderman is against the Avengers:

He's been controlled by Ultron!! Back in Mighty Avengers Ultron used some ionic energy feedback against him and probably left some hypnotic influence on his head. It could be Count Nefaria too, but that guy jobbed hard the last time I saw him.

Bentley
Hey, did anyone read the Darkstar & the Winter Guard mini? It was pretty cool, it ties with Rom and some old stuff.

Warlord
aren't they related to the presence?

last time i read them it was in avengers kang wars

Bentley
Two of them are his children, the girl was killed by Fantomex prior to the mini.

Bentley
Mmmmh... I just read the Avengers story at the end of New Avengers 003, and I have to say I don't quite buy what he's selling about Kang, my take is just much better wink

Warlord
the New Avengers story is so far the better one for me even though I cannot relate to the roster as Avengers.

For me New>Secret>Avengers as far as stories go so far.

P.S. by the cover I was expecting Logan to get a power up from Strange and Danny and treat demons like children Thank God this didn't happen

Bentley
Agreed, New's story is more dynamic, but the rooster is by far the suckiest.

Warlord
Secret Avengers 4: if Cap retained the nova force instead of transferring it back to nova the thanos imperative would last only 1 or 2 issues wink

StiltmanFTW
What a bunch of noobs adjectiveless avengers are...

vansonbee
A new RED avenger General Ross AKA RULK!

LONG LIVE LOEBs LEGACY!

Warlord
^ what? seriously?

Warlord
What a bunch of noobs adjectiveless avengers are...

that's what you get if you have 5 street level heroes in what is supposed to be your elite of Earths defenders. Thor is dealing with an alien attack alone and Hawkeye with the Spiders are taking salter from a crowd amok. oh yeah "and then came a day when Earths mightiest Heroes gathered to fight enemies that no single hero could (or something)" - yeah right...

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>