Creation Of Life No Longer Domain Of God

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Symmetric Chaos
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/may/20/craig-venter-synthetic-life-form

This is not a modification of an existing bacteria, it's a lifeform with a genome that was created entirely by humans.

But perhaps we should be scared that he am play gods!.

Quiero Mota
How long before they can make large complex walking animals?

A synthetic t-rex would be pretty interesting.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Quiero Mota

A very long time.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
A very long time.

Another X years to make a "macroscopic" multicellular-organism, such as a...??

Wild Shadow
this is awesome!! take that you bible thumbers *slap in the face.*

i now want my designer virus.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Quiero Mota

A synthetic t-rex would be pretty interesting.
No need. Bacteria are more efficient.

Colossus-Big C
um.... based on religions only humans have souls, and animals dont
so created animals would not be "being god"
only if you could create a human being that would be "being god"

King Kandy
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
um based on religions only humans have souls, and animals dont
Humans create humans ever day. smile

Symmetric Chaos
um.... based on religions only humans have souls, and animals dont

Some forms of Buddhism believe all living things have souls.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by King Kandy
Humans create humans ever day. smile lets see some one create a human from scratch in a lab

King Kandy
lets see some one create a human from scratch in a lab
I can create one without even needing a fancy laboratory. smile

Wild Shadow
so does many shamanistic religion/practices

Colossus-Big C
Some forms of Buddhism believe all living things have souls. but when you say "GOD" that most likely refer to the christian god imo because some other religions dont call him "GOD'

Colossus-Big C
I can create one without even needing a fancy laboratory. smile thats reproduction. stick out tongue

King Kandy
thats reproduction. stick out tongue
Reproduction is a form of creation... besides, humans are created in god's image, so in a way that's reproduction as well.

Colossus-Big C
Reproduction is a form of creation... besides, humans are created in god's image, so in a way that's reproduction as well. that "god created us in his image "part could just mean in they way he wants us too look imo smokin'

when emporer joker recreated the universe "in his image"
it mean he created in what way he personally want it to be.
everyone on the planet didnt look like him

King Kandy
that "god created us in his image "part could just mean in they way he wants us too look imo smokin'

when emporer joker recreated the universe "in his image"
it mean he created in what way he personally want it to be.
everyone on the planet didnt look like him
I don't think so because it's in hebrew and every translation of that literally means "shape" or "image", not any kind of loose definition.

In any case, humans can create humans. Why does it matter if it's in a laboratory, when we know it can happen without God?

Colossus-Big C
I don't think so because it's in hebrew and every translation of that literally means "shape" or "image", not any kind of loose definition.

In any case, humans can create humans. Why does it matter if it's in a laboratory, when we know it can happen without God? well i guess you maybe right...

Symmetric Chaos
well i guess you maybe right...

Don't fall for it, he's trying to trap you with logic!

King Kandy
In any case, this is cool. Probably will do great things for mankind in the long run. Maybe they can set it to work on cleaning up that damn oil spill.

Robtard
God supposedly created Adam from dirt and by all accounts magiked the animals out of nothingness, so I fail to see how this compares or even challenges the "God did it!" crowd's beliefs.

BTW, watch, this will ignite the zombie apocalypse.

King Kandy
Dirt, amino acids, w/e.

Ordo
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/may/20/craig-venter-synthetic-life-form

This is not a modification of an existing bacteria, it's a lifeform with a genome that was created entirely by humans.

BAH. About as complex as completing a lego set. Its not like they invented plastic, and manufactured them into pieces, and made them pretty different colors.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Ordo
BAH. About as complex as completing a lego set. Its not like they invented plastic, and manufactured them into pieces, and made them pretty different colors.
lol, you're going to be relying on these lego sets for everything nice in your life.

Colossus-Big C
In any case, this is cool. Probably will do great things for mankind in the long run. Maybe they can set it to work on cleaning up that damn oil spill. like nano computers? programmed to eat the spill?

King Kandy
like nano computers? programmed to eat the spill?
Just create an organism that eats oil to survive... it will dissolve the spill, then it will die off when there's no more and thus has it's food source gone.

Robtard
Just create an organism that eats oil to survive... it will dissolve the spill, then it will die off when there's no more and thus has it's food source gone.

Pretty sure there is or some group(s) were are working on just that. A petroleum eating bacteria.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Robtard
Pretty sure there is or some group(s) were are working on just that. A petroleum eating bacteria.
I know. That's why that was the first example I could think to use.

Ms.Marvel

i could totally see how that could go wrong in a sci-fi original movie.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
i could totally see how that could go wrong in a sci-fi original movie.

"General, at this rate the bacteria will devour all the world's oil in less than a week."

Wild Shadow
i could totally see how that could go wrong in a sci-fi original movie. they get out of control hitch a ride on humans eating their stored fat due to adaptation and spreading plastics and oil in cars and not just oil spills..oh the humanity

Ms.Marvel
its ok. if there is one thing sci-fi original movies have shown us, it is that any problem no matter the size or type or severity, can be solved by detonating a nuke.

Robtard
its ok. if there is one thing sci-fi original movies have shown us, it is that any problem no matter the size or type or severity, can be solved by detonating a nuke.

Worked with the Japan issue.

Oh, see what I did there!?

StyleTime
They created life?

Heh. We humans are total badasses.

Take THAT other great apes.

Wild Shadow
i think its time for us to start giving our scientist white ropes or clothing and more power at least more weight and credibility in what they say maybe give them money and make some kind of institution where they may teach and shape the minds of young ppl like some other institutions.

oh and give them titles.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
i think its time for us to start giving our scientist white ropes or clothing and more power at least more weight and credibility in what they say maybe give them money and make some kind of institution where they may teach and shape the minds of young ppl like some other institutions.

oh and give them titles.

Should we also call them father?

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Should we also call them father? professor/doctor works for me..maybe the high scientist supreme for the number one scientist..

also i say they call their institution Scientology but its bn taken already.. hmm.. but they can take a symbol for their institution the bio sign/atomic symbol and the snake and cross works for me..

Symmetric Chaos
professor/doctor works for me..maybe the high scientist supreme for the number one scientist..

also i say they call their institution Scientology but its bn taken already.. hmm.. but they can take a symbol for their institution the bio sign/atomic symbol and the snake and cross works for me..

Scientist Supreme? Like the leader of AIM?

Wild Shadow
Scientist Supreme? Like the leader of AIM? dont be silly thats comics and last i check..

http://blog.newsarama.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/normal_hankpymsupreme.JPG

Symmetric Chaos
Yeah, Hank Pym there's a model of scientific responsibilty.

Wild Shadow
as opposed to the popes and priest?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/blueskiesfalling/a.bmp

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/political-pictures-pope-benedict-xvi-vow-poverty.jpg

Shakyamunison

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/political-pictures-pope-benedict-xvi-vow-poverty.jpg

"New boss same as the old boss"

Symmetric Chaos

Dunno, have any of the Popes ever built an evil robot? How about honoring a dead wife by changing their name to hers and traveling around the world in clothing meant to look like hers?

Wild Shadow
all i know is a scientist based belief structure seems more benign then a religious obsessed group that has choked the planet killed millions hordes wealth... hypocrisy of popes who have sex with their nieces and relatives steal from the treasury etc etc..

i mean how dangerous malevolent can a scientist really get?
http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Dr-Evil-Poster-C10087527.jpeg

King Kandy
dont be silly thats comics and last i check..

http://blog.newsarama.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/normal_hankpymsupreme.JPG
Woah, Eternity's antler-thingies aren't actually part of his head? My world is blown.

Mindship
I wonder what the results unforeseen will be.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Mindship
I wonder what the results unforeseen will be.
All the results are unforeseen. We don't know just what this can do yet.

Wild Shadow
a bacteria that will make the black plague look like the common cold when it escapes into the environment ..

Mindship
All the results are unforeseen. We don't know just what this can do yet. What was the vision which propelled this effort? What are they shooting for? Or was this more a wtf let's try it sort of thing? Those are the best.

King Kandy
What was the vision which propelled this effort? What are they shooting for? Or was this more a wtf let's try it sort of thing? Those are the best.
They were shooting for means of creating genomes in Bacteria. They got one. As far as consequences go, this was definitely foreseen.

Symmetric Chaos
What was the vision which propelled this effort? What are they shooting for? Or was this more a wtf let's try it sort of thing? Those are the best.

Their immediate goal was almost certainly to see if we have, right now, the technology to build DNA from scratch. The answer to that was clearly yes, we do.

Lack of knowledge about exactly how DNA works will probably make this a curiosity in the short term (5 to 10 years). Shortly after that we are likely to see designer bacteria for many purposes.

Long term this is proof of concept for being able to make life forms of whatever kind we want.

Bardock42
Yeah, Hank Pym there's a model of scientific responsibilty.

If Pym is really going to be played by Nathan Fillion I'd follow him anywhere!!!

Parmaniac
Just create an organism that eats oil to survive... it will dissolve the spill, then it will die off when there's no more and thus has it's food source gone. These bacterias already exist.

King Kandy
There are bacteria capable of most anything. Doesn't mean they do it efficiently enough to be useful.

Parmaniac
There are bacteria capable of most anything. Doesn't mean they do it efficiently enough to be useful. But I think these are, wait I'll have to dig out one of my magazines.

King Kandy
If they were, we wouldn't be having a problem now.

Wild Shadow
pff.. that isnt creating life they used things that were already around.. if they really wanna come close to being god they need to do it out of nothing at the very least start with atoms to manipulate matter into a chemical angel

Parmaniac
If they were, we wouldn't be having a problem now. If we would solve all problems directly with the best solution we wouldn't have a problem in the first place.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Parmaniac
If we would solve all problems directly with the best solution we wouldn't have a problem in the first place.
If something can't be used directly, than it usually isn't the best solution...

Rogue Jedi
a bacteria that will make the black plague look like the common cold when it escapes into the environment .. I am Legend.

Wild Shadow
daybreakers

Rogue Jedi
Land of the Dead, *****.

King Kandy
a bacteria that will make the black plague look like the common cold when it escapes into the environment ..
Bacterial infections will never get as prevalent as they were even a century ago, purely because we have better hygiene now.

Bicnarok

Symmetric Chaos

Mindship

Sith Master X
Some of you guys are off your rockers.

If we have the capabilities to create life, then there's no proof against something else having the capabilities to create us.

Think with an open mind for a change...

King Kandy
Originally posted by Sith Master X

If we have the capabilities to create life, then there's no proof against something else having the capabilities to create us.

You're the one off your rocker, I don't even understand what point you're trying to make with that statement.

Symmetric Chaos

What are you talking about? I don't even think that's an issue people have raised.

Sith Master X
Page 1: "Take that you bible thumpers."

No need for people to act that immaturely over the internet... I said what I said. It doesn't need to be explained any further.

Symmetric Chaos

No need for people to act that immaturely over the internet... I said what I said. It doesn't need to be explained any further.

You really need to quote the person you're responding to, especially if that person hasn't said anything for three pages. You also shouldn't refer to "some of you guys" when you're only responding to one person.

inimalist
No need for people to act that immaturely over the internet

you heard it here first

Sith Master X
Yeah well, I never called anyone out specifically, so when some people get all bent out of shape over it, it doesn't mean anyone is po'd at you.

I get what you're saying. I've been here for six years. I normally quote people...but, oh well.

Robtard

Doth the thump thy bible?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.