Real Superheroes & Villains!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pandemoniac
Right, saw Kick-ass last week, and it posed a good question; Why isn't there anybody out there really suiting up and trying to be a 'superhero'?
Odd as it seems, the movie has it wrong, there are certain people doing just that, and just as unsettling, some people got twisted enough to become the opposite; certified super-villains with dastardly evil plans and enough dangerous equipment to back them up.
My request, please post any story about Real Superheroes & Villains you know or can find so we can see how mad it really gets

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
Right, saw Kick-ass last week, and it posed a good question; Why isn't there anybody out there really suiting up and trying to be a 'superhero'?

Because on a practical level it's stupid and dangerous while on a moral level our society does not recognize vigilantism as legitimate.

inimalist
because guns, no PIS/CIS, pretty much take it 7-8/10

Pandemoniac
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Because on a practical level it's stupid and dangerous while on a moral level our society does not recognize vigilantism as legitimate.

Naturally, but it has happened, and that's what intrigues me.

Autokrat
I believe Watchmen answered this question already, while being awesome at the same time.

inimalist
and aside from it being impossible, if someone did pull it off, and started attacking organized crime/corruption

the way police, detectives and the media work in the real world pretty much ensures that the person would be identified within a month and, best case scenario, arrested, worst, their family and friends are murdered

Bardock42
Odd as it seems, the movie has it wrong, there are certain people doing just that, and just as unsettling, some people got twisted enough to become the opposite; certified super-villains with dastardly evil plans and enough dangerous equipment to back them up.
My request, please post any story about Real Superheroes & Villains you know or can find so we can see how mad it really gets

I don't know about the movie, but to me the comic basically answered the question with: "Cause it really, really sucks to get beat up and also you'll probably die".

Pandemoniac
You've got the wrong idea, this is not about 'what if', but about 'what some really did', mostly in organised groups like Sombra Negra, or solo oddballs like Jonathan Idema. & real supervilllains like Killdozer!

Bardock42
You've got the wrong idea, this is not about 'what if', but about 'what some really did', mostly in organised groups like Sombra Negra, or solo oddballs like Jonathan Idema. & real supervilllains like Killdozer!

Haha, serves me right not reading more than the first sentence

King Kandy
In the Netherlands they have a "Car-Boot Remover Man".

Pandemoniac
Seems others didn't read through the whole intro as well. All forgiven & getting the idea yet folks?

Pandemoniac
Originally posted by King Kandy
In the Netherlands they have a "Car-Boot Remover Man".

Good to hear, I live there! Is he like the English Anglegrinder-man?

King Kandy
Good to hear, I live there! Is he like the English Anglegrinder-man?
Ah, that was actually who I was thinking of... I first heard of him while I was in Amsterdam so I guess the two got melded in my mind.

Digi
Rolling Stone magazine ran a fascinating article years ago on people who are real-life superheroes. Most are simply community activists with an alias and some notoriety, but a few actually work with local law enforcement on an unofficial basis and have helped with arrests and crackdowns and such. I'll try to find the link.

There's also a website devoted to cataloging superheroes, their status (active/retired) and their accomplishments. It included the few mentioned in the Stones article. Again, I'll try to find it, but may be unsuccessful

Suffice it to say, Kickass didn't invent this idea. It simply brought it into a more mainstream light.

WickedDynamite

A good example are Firefighters. They fight disasters, save people, set an example for young people and throw awesome BBQ!

They suit up, keep themselves in shape, drive huge engines, and women buy their calendars.

Now, you could you say: "Oh, they get paid for the service" and I would say: "So? who says superheros can't make any money?" Not everybody is like Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark.

There you have it! Therefore WD salutes our Brave men and women in our Fire and Rescue Teams in whole wide world!

THANK YOU!

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9919/supermanflaghorz.jpg

Digi
Awesome, here we go:

The article I mentioned from the Stones a few years back:
http://reallifesuperheroes.org/archives/972

And a master site of various articles relating to real-life superheroes:
http://reallifesuperheroes.org/news-articles

Interesting stuff. It's long but worth the read.

One Free Man
I actually (unrealistically) played with the idea of accruing martial arts training and unregistered weapons and fighting crime like a super hero but here's the problems that directly interfered with my ideas.

1. I don't see alot of crime. Hear about it, but don't see it. Chances are, if a crime is made known, the cops are going to be there FIRST. Not you. Unless you're there to witness the crime, in which case:

2. if your there to witness the crime, do you need an alias to stop it? say someone being mugged? I'd use every available power to stop a mugging if I saw it, cape or none.

3. Any real crime, believe it or not, you're not governed by an alternate law of gravity like batman. You fall that far, you're going to the hospital. You get shot, bullet proof vest or not, you're not going to keep walking. In order to pull off bullet-proofness like the movies you'd need a suit that would make walking impractical. It's why police officers practice avoiding getting shot. And, as in any real crime, they are going to have guns.

LanceWindu

Actually I believe Killdozer to be a hero. A martyr to the little man who gets ****ed over by big business and politics.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by LanceWindu
Actually I believe Killdozer to be a hero. A martyr to the little man who gets ****ed over by big business and politics.

And pretty much anyone who disagreed with him.

Wild Shadow
http://www.bloggerheads.com/images/bush_hero_flight_suit.jpg

i am sorry if i offend anyone especially the mod but i just have to post this.. laughing laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by One Free Man
I actually (unrealistically) played with the idea of accruing martial arts training and unregistered weapons and fighting crime like a super hero but here's the problems that directly interfered with my ideas.

1. I don't see alot of crime. Hear about it, but don't see it. Chances are, if a crime is made known, the cops are going to be there FIRST. Not you. Unless you're there to witness the crime, in which case:

2. if your there to witness the crime, do you need an alias to stop it? say someone being mugged? I'd use every available power to stop a mugging if I saw it, cape or none.

3. Any real crime, believe it or not, you're not governed by an alternate law of gravity like batman. You fall that far, you're going to the hospital. You get shot, bullet proof vest or not, you're not going to keep walking. In order to pull off bullet-proofness like the movies you'd need a suit that would make walking impractical. It's why police officers practice avoiding getting shot. And, as in any real crime, they are going to have guns.

yeah. the only real problem is that you would totally get your ass kicked in like a day.

King Kandy
Originally posted by LanceWindu
The guy was a freaky religious nut.

One Free Man
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
yeah. the only real problem is that you would totally get your ass kicked in like a day. so would you!!!! D:

Wild Shadow
that dude is my hero and its how i wanna go out

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by One Free Man
so would you!!!! D:

not i!

id be a villain shifty

Wild Shadow
if i ever decided i had enough i be buying diesel fuel, plant fertilizer... some other house hold chemicals and products like charcoal, salt peter, surfur.. a few cell phones or a hobby shop eletronic board and
ball bearings etc etc..

run around town/city and place them all during cover of night and set them off all at once.. keep some reserve make shift claymore mines for self defense against the man around my property or side walks when they try to roll up..

it be all 1st blood style mayhem..

home depot for all your paramilitary needs
rjptQSfuTy8

One Free Man
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
not i!

id be a villain shifty oh so you're a meanie. We'd have to fight. I'll wear my orange and green lightning bolt spandex.

Martian_mind

Bicnarok
Because the "super" in super heroes is an important factor, otherwise your gonna die rapid fashion.

Pandemoniac
Let's look at people with superhuman abilities as well! There are some interesting cases around, like The Iceman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wim_Hof

Or Magnetic man!

http://eamazings.com/index.php/eamazings/liew-thow-lin-the-real-life-magnetic-man.html

Got more?

Parmaniac
Let's look at people with superhuman abilities as well! There are some interesting cases around, like The Iceman

Or Magnetic man!

http://eamazings.com/index.php/eamazings/liew-thow-lin-the-real-life-magnetic-man.html

Got more? Uri Gellar (<- spelling?) the guy who can dent spoons, I think in comics he would be a decent matter manipulator.

Symmetric Chaos

So his power is surprisingly high resistance to cold?

Mindship
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
So his power is surprisingly high resistance to cold? It would've come in handy had he been on the Titanic.

KharmaDog
There uaesd to be a member of this Board who called himself "Master Bruce" and then "starscream". He claimed that he used to wear goalie equipment and then go out on the streets and fight crime.

He claimed to be a martial artist with near super powers (ie could lift 500 pounds, super reflexes, etc) it was actually quite funny. I wish I could find those old posts.

Parmaniac

Jack Daniels
on dr oz today they have treeman and octupusman so far....messed up medical condittions so dont think they will be fighting crime..dude has hpv and is making treelimbs grow off of him..they look like tree limbs...

Digi

amnesia
If blastois was my dad, things would be different around heresad

Jack Daniels
isnt blastois a pokemon?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.