90's Jean Grey vs 90's Emma Frost

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

celestialbodies
Yes I know how many times this has been done and that's why I created a certain time period. Who was stronger by feats.

Wild Shadow
jean

ExodusCloak
If it's by feats and only 90's feats then Jean because she had more appearances. If it's by narrator blurbs then they were the same and both were compared to Xavier.

However technically current Emma is 90's Emma since her telepathy has not being augemented by an external force since the 90's. And in that regard current Emma has better feats then 90's Jean sans Phoenix especially regarding the whole Exodus thing.

It helps when you have the X-go to telepath. Xavier was the it when Jean was around, Emma is it now.

celestialbodies
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
If it's by feats and only 90's feats then Jean because she had more appearances. If it's by narrator blurbs then they were the same and both were compared to Xavier.

However technically current Emma is 90's Emma since her telepathy has not being augemented by an external force since the 90's. And in that regard current Emma has better feats then 90's Jean sans Phoenix especially regarding the whole Exodus thing.

It helps when you have the X-go to telepath. Xavier was the it when Jean was around, Emma is it now.

Guys I meant Telepathy only sorry, but as far as Emma's better feats here's my problem with that Jean's been gone since 2004-present and Emma's been used consistently since "01" in a main x-title so when comparing the two in terms of skill and power it's bit lopsided especially since Emma's had 6yrs worth of feats and Jean doesn't, you get my point.

Because Fraction is who got me to thinking about Jean in terms of power and skill because of the statements he had Scott and Emma make both regarding her "the most powerfulest telepath the world has ever known" and "the most gifted telepath Emma had ever encountered" at which point Emma had met Psylocke, Prof X, Cassandra Nova, Exodus, Nate Grey, Rachel and Cable. And I'm willing to debate up until 2004 and still Jean is the more skilled and more powerful Telepath between the two and it's something you should think about.

Because until after Jean and Charles exited then Emma was cited as this powerhouse so Exoduscloak because you do know alot especially about X-telepaths wouldn't you consider Jean the better telepath without Emma's 04 to present feats.

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by celestialbodies
Guys I meant Telepathy only sorry, but as far as Emma's better feats here's my problem with that Jean's been gone since 2004-present and Emma's been used consistently since "01" in a main x-title so when comparing the two in terms of skill and power it's bit lopsided especially since Emma's had 6yrs worth of feats and Jean doesn't, you get my point.

Jeans been around as a mainstay in the X-books for waaay more then 6 years. So Jean has had plenty of time of time to wrap up as many feats as possible before Emma even switched sides. Like 25+ years worth. Granted that also comes with some very poor showings too. Like straining to numb Scotts pain in Zero tolerance.

Jean had the Phoenix and was better then Rachel at using it. Kind of explains it.

Also you need to think about the other advantage Jean has. She's had 15 years comic book time on every other telepath and she's still around their level sans Phoenix.

Emma was called Jean level by Storm and Xavier considered her on that level too though in the 90's.

Emma has basically no feats in the 90's so if you want it based on pure feats. Jean has more in the 90's so she obviously wins. Unless you want to count that Nate Grey thing but at the time he didn't know his telepathy was working. Emma has a lot of narrator blurbs though.

90's Jean didn't do too well against Exodus.

guy222
jean

celestialbodies
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
Jeans been around as a mainstay in the X-books for waaay more then 6 years. So Jean has had plenty of time of time to wrap up as many feats as possible before Emma even switched sides. Like 25+ years worth. Granted that also comes with some very poor showings too. Like straining to numb Scotts pain in Zero tolerance.

Jean had the Phoenix and was better then Rachel at using it. Kind of explains it.

Also you need to think about the other advantage Jean has. She's had 15 years comic book time on every other telepath and she's still around their level sans Phoenix.

Emma was called Jean level by Storm and Xavier considered her on that level too though in the 90's.

Emma has basically no feats in the 90's so if you want it based on pure feats. Jean has more in the 90's so she obviously wins. Unless you want to count that Nate Grey thing but at the time he didn't know his telepathy was working. Emma has a lot of narrator blurbs though.

90's Jean didn't do too well against Exodus.

Here's my problem when labeling Emma as a more skilled psi than Jean where's the proof you said it yourself Emma didn't have many feats in the 90's why is it that everyone regards her as such, because up until 2004-present Emma didn't have any feat's to back up such claims while she was constantly regarded as a powerful psi she didn't gain this skill until after Jean and Chuck where no longer in the X-books.

Also you know as well as I do telepathy hasn't been as useful or as skillfully used by writers in the past as it has been in the 2000's especially amongst the X-men. And the reason I consider their skill as about equal is because honestly it wasn't until 2004 when Jean wasn't consistently in a monthly book when emma became the sole X-telepath. I mean the only time Jean and Emma's telepathy was used in conjunction was their psychic rescue of Charles and Jean did that because Emma couldn't effectively get past Cassandra Nova's mental defenses she setup, Jean even helped Emma after finding Charles.

Oh and the Exodus thing you know as well as I do that in the 90's Exodus was a bigger Psychic threat than he is now and your acting as if Emma would have done any better because she wouldn't have she didn't have the feats to back up such a claim until circa 2004. And that's my point Jean and Emma has only been used on one team in comics and they were about even in terms skill so why now that Emma's used more and Jean's not in comics Emma's cited as better when the only time they served together they were equals. that's just my opinion but I do think it should be looked into.

the ninjak
Jean

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by celestialbodies
Here's my problem when labeling Emma as a more skilled psi than Jean where's the proof you said it yourself Emma didn't have many feats in the 90's why is it that everyone regards her as such, because up until 2004-present Emma didn't have any feat's to back up such claims while she was constantly regarded as a powerful psi she didn't gain this skill until after Jean and Chuck where no longer in the X-books.

Citations such as Emma is Xavier level or Jean level or one of the most powerful telepaths on the planet. Plus Emma may have few feats back then but she does have some good feats. For example cloaking herself from the Phoenix and Charles after she brought down the roof with a psi-bolt to save herself. Putting herself in a psychic coma in order to save herself from the Sentinels. Breaking out of Masterminds psychic viral mind loop. Hiding from Onslaught. Pwning Dani twice. Surpressing mutant powers. Dani was able to mess with Selene in one of those instances. Communicating across the atlantic ocean without aid. Psychic surgery on the new mutants after their encounter with the beyonder. Psi-bolts, psychic lightning, indirect psychic static hurting Jean Grey. Squaring off against a Nate Grey who didn't know he still had his telepathy.

And a able to carry out a lot of same mundane things 90's Jean did like psi-blasts, mind control, numbing pain etc...both the White Queen and Psylocke pulled off quite early on in their careers. Emma numbed Lourdes's pain before she became White Queen.

But now that you bring it up lets analyze it. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm exaggerating the amount of high level telepathy feats by Jean sans Phoenix's feats. What would you say 90's Jeans top 5 feats are? I'm trying to think about it...she was absolutely useless from UXM 1-X-Men V2.0. That's fresh in my memory I read over it recently. Then the Phoenix was Jean, Jean was not the Phoenix. She came back without her telepathy in X-Factor, her encounter with Psynapse restarted it. And from then on she had her telepathy. What would you say her best feats are?

Squaring off against Gamemaster? Joseph was the key there to be honest.

Transfering her mind into Emma's body after Emma placed herself in a psychic coma?

Jean has UXM 1-66, X-Factor, She was part of the Gold team. She's got a much larger advantage over Emma in that regard.

I wouldn't say that, there have been plenty of astral fights, Psylocke demonstrated plenty of skill feats too. Charles scanned across solar systems to contact the Stranger in one of the earlier issues of UXM with no aid. And there was a lot of neural tampering telepathy once Byrne and Claremont took over. Jean also usually relied more her TK. Charles was the numero uno telepath.

As for what Morrison thought well here you go:
http://img526.imageshack.us/i/wizardxmenspecialpage41.jpg/
http://img13.imageshack.us/i/wizardxmenspecialpage40.jpg/

And regarding that Nova thing. Emma decided to take a swig and play with one of Cassandra Nova's booby traps. Jean walked away from it, after it snapped at her. Emma did pretty well against it until her concentration slipped while she taunted Jean. Whose to say Jean wouldn't have faired the same way? After all. Jeans psychic metaphor also got shattered...the bridge remember?

Jean came to aid her against the door. Together they would have overpowered it.

Also remember Jean was manifesting the Phoenix Force in Morrisons run.

Exodus hasn't changed. Every single time he's been taken down he's had some sort excuse barring Austen in which he had Mindee but the Cuckoos did get one over Phoenix Jean Grey, Xavier and Emma, he had Thena interfering with his telepathy during the Wundagore thing. In Messiah Complex he was still a team buster. He just was facing off against a telepath that is just as good. This was also shown when he faced Xavier recently. Exodus didn't want to hurt him, he wanted him to lead the Acolytes so he used illusions to try and coax him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.