Captain Marvel vs Thor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ares834
This is Billy prior to becoming the new Shazam. Who wins?

Blanket
Is this the Billy that is full of threads of him fighting Thor?

nicamarvin
Originally posted by Blanket
Is this the Billy that is full of threads of him fighting Thor? .... doctor

Colossus-Big C
thor has the hammer advantage.
captain marvel can call down lightning to strike thor

JakeTheBank
Thor for the slight majority.

cdtm
Cap does better then Supes, that's for sure. No magic weakness bogging him down, and even has some amount of resistance..

cdtm
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C

captain marvel can call down lightning to strike thor

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! eek!

Calling down lightning is the LAST thing he wants to do against someone like Thor. He'll end up getting it redirected into his face, or otherwise give Thor an opening when he reverts to Billy, like those other times vs Superman.

On the positive side, Thor's lightning is basically useless. Adam laughed off Dr. Fates defensive lightning charge.

Slaanesh
Capt Marvel..

quanchi112
Thor wins.

Sasaraixx
Originally posted by JakeTheBank

CosmicComet
Meh. Thor 51/100

Prep-Man
Split for me.

guy222
Thor

cdtm
Billy.

marwash22
So, your plan is to strike the THUNDER GOD, with lightning? yeah, that'll work. lightning is kinda irrelevant in this battle.

Lord_Talron
thor wins. hammer = his secret weapon here

Prep-Man
Good thing Billy is highly resistant to magic and blunt attacks. Thor better go all out, IMO.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by marwash22
So, your plan is to strike the THUNDER GOD, with lightning? yeah, that'll work. lightning is kinda irrelevant in this battle. so lightninig is useless against thor? http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/51954/1242871-avengersv1_284_16.jpg

SamZED
Oh the irony!

amnesia
split.

celeyhyga17
this thread hasn't been done b4?

anyways Thor takes it 6.5/10

Mshinu
Thor is the better fighter. About 7/10.

Colossus-Big C
captain marvel is cooler

captain marvel wins 7/10

Prep-Man
It would be a nice fight indeed.

CosmicComet
I'd love to see a fusion of the two

Cap's durability, regen, and amping ability (power of Zeus) with Thor's vast power set.

YFZ 350
Cap wins after a good one.

Colossus-Big C
there was a fusion of cap and supes

BattleMage
Going by the way D.C. plays him for a sucker when he goes up against supes. I'll say THOR 6.5/10

Prep-Man
Originally posted by BattleMage
Going by the way D.C. plays him for a sucker when he goes up against supes. I'll say THOR 6.5/10

Huh?

Rage.Of.Olympus
Thor wins.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by cdtm
Cap does better then Supes, that's for sure. No magic weakness bogging him down, and even has some amount of resistance..

Does anyone actually take into account the magical weakness for Superman against Thor? If you consider Thor a magically based entity and think he should effect Superman like other magic does, it wouldn't really be fair. I however don't. I think of Thor's mystical background being handled in the same way as Marvel's and Diana's has been. They are beings with mystical backgrounds but the magic weakness isn't actually taken into account unless they resort specifically to magic. I.e. Captain Marvel's punches affect Superman as someone with science based powers with his strength level would unless he specifically taps into mystical energy like his lightning. It also makes sense as I believe this is what Busiek did when he wrote his fight against Thor. The entire magical weakness bit wasn't used.

cdtm
I'm thinking mostly about Thor using his powers. Magic lightning and such would mess up Superman more then it should Marvel. Thor's hammer strikes may have magical properties as well, consider they can bump his hits up to planet busting level.

Of course, that doesn't mean he can take a Godblast, and he should feel the more potent attacks like Anti-Force.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I'm thinking mostly about Thor using his powers. Magic lightning and such would mess up Superman more then it should Marvel. Thor's hammer strikes may have magical properties as well, consider they can bump his hits up to planet busting level.

Of course, that doesn't mean he can take a Godblast, and he should feel the more potent attacks like Anti-Force.

If that's what you're referring to, then I agree. He can hit in the planet busting level without the hammer, and the striking damage between Thor without Mjolnir and Thor with Mjolnir has been shown to be very minimal in the past.

Thor says it best:
".."You shall learn that Thor has not one hammer merely but three..""

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/Thor/ThorvsTheFlame22.jpg
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/Thor/ThorvsTheFlame23.jpg

A blast of Anti-Force would hurt Superman most definitely depending on how much power Thor puts behind it. Clark can't survive a Godblast in my opinion.

Prep-Man
Captain Marvel was at the heart of a 5-D imp energy attack and all that did to him was bruise him. He's HIGHLY resistant to magic.

He also endured the effects the Spear of Destiny, which could affect Spectre.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Is that shit directed at me?

If you want, I can reply back but if I were you, I wouldn't want me to.

marwash22
actual God > Person with God-like powers.

Rage.Of.Olympus
^That's some piss poor reasoning.

An average Asgardian is an actual God. An average Asgardian would lose to Spider-Man.

Prep-Man
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Is that shit directed at me?

If you want, I can reply back but if I were you, I wouldn't want me to.

It's to everyone!

JakeTheBank
Marvel could probably survive a Godblast, imo. He'd be hurting, but he'd fare better than Superman.

Prep-Man
Definitely. Cap used to be the most indestructable character in comics. Period. They had to cut back on the true invulnerability crap DC did early in his days. He's still one of the top 5, IMO.

cdtm
Marvel could probably survive a Godblast, imo. He'd be hurting, but he'd fare better than Superman.

He did survive being turned inside out. Specifically stated as due to his magic properties.

JakeTheBank
The Big Red Cheese always has been one of my favorite DC heroes.

marwash22
^That's some piss poor reasoning.

An average Asgardian is an actual God. An average Asgardian would lose to Spider-Man. facetiousness, heard of it?

JakeTheBank
He did survive being turned inside out. Specifically stated as due to his magic properties.

thumb up

It's 'cause Marvel is badass.

Rage.Of.Olympus
He'll be "hurting"? So now the Godblast can't even put down Captain Marvel?

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Prep-Man
It's to everyone!

Smart.

Prep-Man
Bones breaking, but he'll survive.

JakeTheBank

I'm not saying he'll tank the Godblast with no damage. I am saying he will, based on feats, survive it.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Bones breaking, but he'll survive.

You know the Godblast once one shotted a being possessing the power of Odin, the power of all the Dark Gods on top of her already formidable Skyfather level powers but the extent the damage it does to Captain Marvel is simply the breaking of bones?

The Godblast is the new Omega Effect.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I'm not saying he'll tank the Godblast with no damage. I am saying he will, based on feats, survive it.

Sure.

JakeTheBank
Sure.

thumb up

Prep-Man
You know the Godblast once one shotted a being possessing the power of Odin, the power of all the Dark Gods on top of her already formidable Skyfather level powers but the extent the damage it does to Captain Marvel is simply the breaking of bones?

The Godblast is the new Omega Effect.

The Spear of Destiny has tanked Spectre, IIRC, but Cap endured it. Mainly due to his magic resitance.

Rage.Of.Olympus
The Spear of Destiny has tanked Spectre, IIRC, but Cap endured it. Mainly due to his magic resitance.

The Spear of Destiny tanked Spectre? You mean it's able to hurt him due to it's nature right?

In what way did Captain Marvel endure it? If you mean a blast or something similar, in Revelations the new Question Rene tanked a blast from it as I recall so apparently it isn't so uber unless you bust it out against the Spectre. Unless there were specific circumstances around Rene which I don't believe there was.

And about the 5D storm Marvel tanked in JSA #36. Just so you know, there were like dozens of other heroes right besides Ultra Humanite when he unleashed the storm as I recall. Some of them like Power Girl were thrown back by the force of the Storm by they were also unharmed.

Rage.Of.Olympus
thumb up

Just out of curiosity, what feats of Marvel would bring you to the conclusion he can survive the Godblast?

I know he's survived being turned inside out for one.

JakeTheBank
Marvel was the only one who went into the heart of the 5D maelstrom. PG was swatted aside rather easily by in the initial shockwave whereas Marvel stood his ground and endured a firestorm that "would've scorched a lesser hero to cinders in seconds". It was an insane durability feat, considering people like Superman, WW, PG and other highly impressive bricks were present in the area and neither of them were able to reach Thunderbolt.

Prep-Man
The Spear of Destiny tanked Spectre? You mean it's able to hurt him due to it's nature right?

In what way did Captain Marvel endure it? If you mean a blast or something similar, in Revelations the new Question Rene tanked a blast from it as I recall so apparently it isn't so uber unless you bust it out against the Spectre. Unless there were specific circumstances around Rene which I don't believe there was.

And about the 5D storm Marvel tanked in JSA #36. Just so you know, there were like dozens of other heroes right besides Ultra Humanite when he unleashed the storm as I recall. Some of them like Power Girl were thrown back by the force of the Storm by they were also unharmed.

He resisted to be possessed by the SOD and actually cut Spectre with it. It's one of the only weapons that could harm him.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Marvel was the only one who went into the heart of the 5D maelstrom.

What are you basing that on? Marvel didn't seem to be at the epicenter and seemed to be closer to the out skirts of the firestorm from what I'm seeing.

PG was swatted aside rather easily by in the initial shockwave whereas Marvel stood his ground and endured a firestorm that "would've scorched a lesser hero to cinders in seconds".

Ultra was already unleashing his powers in the form of a storm while Powergirl was flying directly at him before even approaches him.

Such an ambigious statement doesn't impress me.

It was an insane durability feat, considering people like Superman, WW, PG and other highly impressive bricks were present in the area and neither of them were able to reach Thunderbolt.

Captain Marvel didn't reach Ultra either first of all. He threw a spear. And Superman was right besides him when he unleashed the storm.

From what I'm seeing, Ultra was being kept busy fighting Sentinel, Superman and others, while Captain Marvel worked his way closer from the outskirts where he was with Jakeem, and threw the spear. Even when Ultra is falling straight down, he seemed to be a good distance away from Marvel.

Nothing about this screams impressive. At least not at the level you guys seem determined on putting it on:

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/th_36-17.jpghttp://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/th_36-18.jpghttp://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/th_36-19.jpghttp://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/th_36-20.jpghttp://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/th_36-21.jpg

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome and really gives us a good glimpse into Marvel's personality and character but it's not this uber durability feat your trying to make it seem.

Rage.Of.Olympus
He resisted to be possessed by the SOD and actually cut Spectre with it. It's one of the only weapons that could harm him.

So what your saying is that Marvel was able to use the spear as a weapon and hurt Spectre with it? That's supposed to impress me?

Yea...

Prep-Man
That was impressive. Plus it's not the only time Marvel has faced 5-D creature like beings. Power Girl definitely got brushed away, while Marvel withstood it.

And read my post again.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Hold on. Are you talking about Day of Judgment #4? Lol. No wonder I didn't remember the instance. There was nothing worth remembering.

Prep-Man
The one where he took a beating from Spectre?

Rage.Of.Olympus
That was impressive. Plus it's not the only time Marvel has faced 5-D creature like beings. Power Girl definitely got brushed away, while Marvel withstood it.

And read my post again.

What about it was impressive? Yay?

Unlike Marvel however, Power Girl was flying at the epicenter along with Clark to attack Ultra directly.

The most likely scenario in my opinion is that she attacked Ultra and was tossed away by him or one the attacks he was unleashing.

I did. Is there something I missed it?

Prep-Man
Enduring 5-D magic. We already know CM has one of the best durability in comics.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Wow, I really didn't know Captain Marvel fans were so desperate for feats until I saw you clinging to this so hard.

Superman, Sentinel etc. were attacking him directly despite the storm and Marvel walking from the outskirts tosses a spear and that's supposed to impress me? In comparison to the tons of heroes who were directly at the epicenter of his attacks, what Captain Marvel endured isn't impressive to me at all.

This scene is cool but not impressive:
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/th_36-17.jpghttp://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/th_36-18.jpghttp://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/th_36-19.jpghttp://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/th_36-20.jpghttp://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/th_36-21.jpg

His one of the toughest top tiers. I don't disagree. Using that showing as evidence to him being in that category however is ridiculous.

The one where he took a beating from Spectre?

Where did he take a beating from the Spectre.

Prep-Man
Agree to disagree. But didn't he take a beating from Spectee in DOV.

And I'll still stand by a split. Doubt Thor would resort to a Godblast like he always does. LOL!

Rage.Of.Olympus
What's there to disagree about? He did nothing impressive besides throw a spear. He tanked the firestorm? That's great. He was a long distance away while their were heroes directly at the epicenter who were doing just fine. Even Superman was there and he has a weakness for magic.

Fine, agree to disagree.

That's fine. Thor wins this fight in my opinion however.

Heh.

Prep-Man
...that it was impressive.

Rage.Of.Olympus
...that it was impressive.

How though?

In terms of durability? Sure, if you ignore the fact that other dozens of heroes were directly at the epicenter and were unharmed.

In terms of strength it wasn't anything worth noting.

It's a cool scene due to how it focuses on Marvel but that's it.

Prep-Man
It doesn't look like Superman was even hit. And once the storm got close to PG, she got taken down. The storm increased and CM walked right through it and the captions even saying a lesser hero would have been scorched.

Rage.Of.Olympus
It doesn't look like Superman was even hit. And once the storm got close to PG, she got taken down. The storm increased and CM walked right through it and the captions even saying a lesser hero would have been scorched.

Hit by what? One of those giant bolts of lightning? News flash, neither was Marvel but he was still apparently walking through a firestorm. Seeing as how Superman was flying directly at him, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was hit.

How do you know that was what took her down? She was flying directly at Ultra. Directly at him. If Captain Marvel was enduring a firestorm a good distance away, imagine what she was enduring by being a lot closer.

Where does it say the storm increased pray tell? He didn't walk right through the storm. He walked from the outskirts a bit further in and tossed the spear.

So? Steel was flying right behind Power Girl and the Flash, Sentinel, Adam etc. were beside Ultra right before he began unleashing his storm. Flash was even at ground level.

My god.

Prep-Man
Yeah, I doubt Superman or PG could walk through a magical storm like Marvel. But, like I said, agree to disagree.

BTW, I'm not just using one example to define his durability. He has plenty of those.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Yeah, I doubt Superman or PG could walk through a magical storm like Marvel. But, like I said, agree to disagree.

BTW, I'm not just using one example to define his durability. He has plenty of those.

Marvel was near the outskirts a good distance away. Power Girl, Clark, and the others were right besides Ultra and near the epicenter.

If Marvel enduring the forces unleashed that far out was impressive, imagine how much more powerful the storm was inside. Superman was near the eye of the storm while Captain Marvel had just walked from the outskirts of the storm.

Okay.

Cool.

Prep-Man
Except that there wasn't a powerful storm. If there was then the caption wouldn't have said a lesser hero. Obviously Steel and Flash are lesser compared to Marvel. Among PG as well.

My god.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Except that there wasn't a powerful storm. If there was then the caption wouldn't have said a lesser hero. Obviously Steel and Flash are lesser compared to Marvel. Among PG as well.

My god.

So what your saying is that the heroes there weren't enduring any mystical energy being unleashed near Ultra who was unleashing any energy in the first place to defend himself:
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/th_36-17.jpghttp://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/th_36-18.jpg

Yet a good deal away from him, outside of his field of vision and far from where the actual main amounts of energy is being unleashed, there would be a mystical storm?:
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/th_36-20.jpghttp://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/th_36-21.jpg

I give up.

A lesser hero can mean absolutely anything as we weren't actually given any context. By lesser hero it could mean ****ing Batman.

I know. Your absolutely horrible.

EDIT: Wait. Hold on. I just read the scans again.

When the narrator says firestorm, I'm pretty certain his referring to that little fire he walks through.

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/th_36-20.jpg

First panel. The inferno he walks through.

I thought it was wierd that he referred to it as a firestorm but it makes sense now.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Now it's even worse then not impressive in my eyes.

Prep-Man
What makes sense?

Rage.Of.Olympus
That when the narrator refers to him walking through a storm that would scorch a lesser hero, he isn't referring to anything mystical in nature but to that flame he walked through in the first panel. That's why he called it a FIREstorm.

Makes sense to me. There weren't any random mystical storms flying around or whatever you want to call it then.

He didn't actually tank anything in this scene except some fire apparently.

Prep-Man
Some of the energy UH was unleashing looks like fire, so...

But think what you like. As on topic, I'd give it a split. Maybe a sleight edge to Thor, since he's been having some good showings lately, while Marvel, well, is being neglected.

grimify
Captain Marvel 8/10

Rage.Of.Olympus
Some of the energy UH was unleashing looks like fire, so...

But think what you like. As on topic, I'd give it a split. Maybe a sleight edge to Thor, since he's been having some good showings lately, while Marvel, well, is being neglected.

Where? Everything I saw was pink in color and mostly lightning in that issue. Makes sense that it was fire. There was even a flaming hero falling down besides him. Probably a result of him. It makes sense. I always found it weird it was called a firestorm. Either way, this doesn't impress me at all.

Cool.

The current Captain Marvel would lose to Thor more often than Billy would in my opinion.

Prep-Man
Well, Billy is powerless, afterall.

If he had SHAZAM's role, he'd more than likely take the majority.

Warlord

thumb up

Colossus-Big C
captain marvel survived a blast that would of killed superman

Warlord

eek!

Prep-Man

The bomb that turned him inside out?

Mindship
Thor wins...as long as he doesn't fight totally like a brick.

amnesia
Originally posted by Mindship
Thor wins...as long as he doesn't fight totally like a brick.

cis is on, so he probably will.

zeel

Cap will be a hurting unit but i doubt it will kill him.

Now if this was supes, supes would be a dead duck. People just dont understand how HIGHLY resistant cap is to magic. cannot emphasize the word HIGHLY enough.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.