Ruining the Classics.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

One Free Man
I just found out about this:
vV-G3B1eRfk&

And decided to make a thread about the abstract destruction of the classics, where you had impeccable story, actors, and directing and yet someone still decides to remake it, setting it in a different place, learning a different martial art, with child-stars.

GGREEEATTTT

siriuswriter
This has been going on for a loooong time. Even in "Golden Hollywood," some movies from the 30's and 40's remained.

For example, "The Women," was originally a movie with only female stars including Rosalind Russell, Jane Fonda, Norma Shearer, and more. It was a perfect black and white film, and the characters were realistic, which made the occasional snark snarkier.

They remade it in the 50's, turning the heroine into a club singer who met her husband touring through entertainment for the troops... This version was made during the time in Hollywood where everything focused around a singer, so they could feature big bands All the stage numbers dragged down the story

And of course, the film was re-re-made in the 2000's, with Meg Ryan, Eva Mendes, and it was full of so much WOMAN-POWER that it completely lost the charm of the first film.

"You've Got Mail" was also a third remake, the first, "The Little Shop Around the Corner," with Jimmy Stewart and Lionel Barrymore, the second "In The Good Old Summertime," with Van Johnson and Judy Garland, and again in the 90's. The script is eerily similar - the scene where the woman waits for the first date when the man sees and recognizes her has the same lines in every film - which gets really weird with all the anachronisms.

Normally, I say if a story's been put into film, leave it alone. But then, some remakes are better than the original, like "Imitation of Life," the first with Claudette Colbert, the second with Kim Novak.

But that's Hollywood. They make more money doing this... I just wish they wouldn't!

Of course, most moviegoers only see/hear about a remake if the film is a only a generation or so later... such as with the Karate Kid.

One Free Man, I've been seeing my favorite movies being made a joke of for ages.

One Free Man
I remember they did a remake of Harvey and I nearly killed someone it was so bad.

I wish they would just pull a George Lucas and digitally remaster and rerelease it until the end of time.

BruceSkywalker
it is all about benjamins...

hollywood will always try to make money by remaking/reimagining movies

One Free Man
I imagine that that kids just going to be annoying as hell full of touching moments where he looks in the camera and acts cute so you want to stab him in the face, as opposed to the kind of rocky balboa style of the original kid.

the original was a gran torino-esque journey of cultural discovery and coming of age, in which a japanese man became a father figure in order to help a kid against bullies. This seems to be aimed towards a race issue of another kind, in which the chinese kids are evil. we won't have great dialogue and stuff like this ever in this movie:
J1gAHil89Z4

MildPossession
Don't go and watch it, simple. If an original film is good, it will not be ruined by a remake... stick out tongue

One Free Man
He says "the only way to defeat them is to face them" in the trailer. In the original it was "why do you learn to fight?" "so that I don't have to fight." it had a deep moral

chomperx9
whats next oprahs son the kid in the new home alone movie

One Free Man
home alone was shit to start with though...

The Nuul
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
it is all about benjamins...

hollywood will always try to make money by remaking/reimagining movies

This and they ran out of ideas.

chomperx9
also the title is karate kid. jacki chan says i will teach you real kung fu.

Ms.Marvel
who cares. just dont watch the movie... classics will always be classics, regardless of what happens to them later. theyre hardly being "ruined" shrug

cheerupmurray
My policy on any movie is not to compare it to the original (or indeed to first in the series)

I don't really mind remakes if they're good stand alone films. I'm the same with books though, I never compare. I see them as separate films smile

NemeBro
I also find it humorous that the movie is called Karate Kid, but is learning Kung Fu.

Though I agree with Ms. Marvel, who ****ing cares?

Menetnashté
Yeah I'm not going to go see it, same with any other remake I don't want to see, easy enough to avoid. Not like music, where I'm just minding my own business driving down the road, listening to the radio and BAM! Glee rapes another classic without warning. At least that doesn't happen with movie remakes

K.Diddy
smile I agree,another movie that is pointless being remade, but I bet every person on here will end up seeing it.......wont you

MildPossession
Nope. Will not be going near it. Even with Jackie Chan.

Menetnashté
No way am I going to see it, I'm all for going to a crappy movie for a few laughs but this? This is just wrong.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by chomperx9
also the title is karate kid. jacki chan says i will teach you real kung fu.

which is why they should have called this film The Kung Fu Kid..

Originally posted by K.Diddy
smile I agree,another movie that is pointless being remade, but I bet every person on here will end up seeing it.......wont you

i , for one won't even see this free up at the Sony Pictures lot right in Culver City

The Nuul
This is nothing but a shitty remake done by Smith and Chan. Seriously though, does Smiths son have to be in this.....Crap. Chan is a good choice though!

K.Diddy
Originally posted by MildPossession
Nope. Will not be going near it. Even with Jackie Chan.

smile I will see it,just so I have something else in my boring life,to b!tch about

chomperx9
so I have something else in my boring life,to b!tch about good man

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by The Nuul
This is nothing but a shitty remake done by Smith and Chan. Seriously though, does Smiths son have to be in this.....Crap. Chan is a good choice though!

the only reason Smith's son is in this is because one of the heads of Sony, Amy Pascal loves Will Smith and will do anything for him

NemeBro
smile I agree,another movie that is pointless being remade, but I bet every person on here will end up seeing it.......wont you Nah, the money is for Splice, which from what I hear is quite hilarious.

Placidity
James Bond maybe. But I don't consider the new ones "ruining" the classics, just inferior.

MikeMikeTheMike
The new james bonds are better, closer to the books.

roughrider
Luckily, there are some sacred cows in Hollywood.

Citizen Kane (Orson Welles went to his grave with a written guarantee it wouldn't even be colourised)

Casablanca

I think Jaws should be one as well, but I've been angered by the rumour Universal is mulling a 3D remake with Tracy Morgan What the f**k?

Considering what Steven Spielberg has done for the industry and for Universal - and how Jaws was still the hardest film of his career to complete - they might sever relations with him forever if they went ahead and remade this classic.
But then, they were stupid enough to remake Psycho, so... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mr Parker
Originally posted by One Free Man
I just found out about this:
vV-G3B1eRfk&

And decided to make a thread about the abstract destruction of the classics, where you had impeccable story, actors, and directing and yet someone still decides to remake it, setting it in a different place, learning a different martial art, with child-stars.

GGREEEATTTT

yeah this is definetely one of those remakes that is ruining a great classic no doubt about that. mad

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Placidity
James Bond maybe. But I don't consider the new ones "ruining" the classics, just inferior.

im convinced that as long as this planet is here and were able to continue making movies,Bond films will go on forever. roll eyes (sarcastic) mad mad there comes a point where it gets rediculous,should have ended the series after Moore retired. mad

Myth
The thing that pisses me off most about this new Karate Kid is that he uses Kung Fu instead of Karate.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Myth
The thing that pisses me off most about this new Karate Kid is that he uses Kung Fu instead of Karate.

i think they somehow forgot that

chomperx9
i just want to know why the F is the tittle called karate kid and not kung fu kid ?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by chomperx9
i just want to know why the F is the tittle called karate kid and not kung fu kid ?

I have thought the same

The Nuul
Bond is not going anywhere because MGM is almost bankrupt and they are asking way too much for bond. No one wants to pay for he amount that they are asking, so Bond might be done for good.

Kazenji
Originally posted by MikeMikeTheMike
The new james bonds are better, closer to the books.

Agreed about the books part.

MildPossession
Someone will eventually make a deal with MGM, so there will be more Bond films.

The Nuul
In time but we wont see another Bond film for a while.

MildPossession
Of course it will take time. Now let's get back to the topic, there is a whole Bond section to talk about the films.

The Nuul
Well, MGM going bankrupt is ruining the classics is it not?

stick out tongue

NemeBro
You know, I might be kinda sorta alright with seeing this movie if not for one factor: Jaden Smith.

I don't know why, but his very presence makes it worse.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by NemeBro
You know, I might be kinda sorta alright with seeing this movie if not for one factor: Jaden Smith.

Lol is it because he's absolutely nothing like Daniel? Or because the only other movie he's been in worth mentioning had him crying over losing a captain america doll?

The Nuul
Originally posted by NemeBro

I feel that way also.

MildPossession
I see the 80s film Fright Night is getting a remake, with David Tennant in taking McDowell's role.

the ninjak
Originally posted by MildPossession
I see the 80s film Fright Night is getting a remake, with David Tennant in taking McDowell's role.

I have no problem with this as long as the film holds that scary vibe the vampires had.

I remember the film conveying that sense of hopelessness as the heroes struggled to defeat the neighbour.

Great movie.

MildPossession
Well going by the cast list at the moment, and the director they have got, it could be a decent attempt.

chomperx9
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovies.accesshollywood.com/ralph-macchio-reveals-mixed-feelings-about-karate-kid-remake

original karate kid doesnt agree with the new karate kid coming out

jaden101
Originally posted by the ninjak
I have no problem with this as long as the film holds that scary vibe the vampires had.

I remember the film conveying that sense of hopelessness as the heroes struggled to defeat the neighbour.

Great movie.

I remember all the t.i.t.s on show.

The Nuul
Like I figured, I could not stand Will's son Dre. Trys to be like his father and doesnt STFU with his mouth. Will and his fam should not be part around this movie. Chan is good though and Rongguang Yu is good as the villian.

The movie is ok, A-team is better choice of the two.

darthmaul1
My problem with it, why didn't they just have the family move to JAPAN and learn Karate from jackie chan as a japanese man (i would of been ok with that) instead of moving to CHINA and learning kung fu when the movie is called the karate kid!!!!
Go on youtube and check this out
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdrFwikfJNk

The Nuul

the ninjak
Originally posted by jaden101
I remember all the t.i.t.s on show.

Yeah the window scene when the boy watches the vampire undress that babe. She was hot!

ADarksideJedi
It makes me mad too how they keep redoing movies over and over again.Don't they have any ideas of there own?

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by darthmaul1
My problem with it, why didn't they just have the family move to JAPAN and learn Karate from jackie chan as a japanese man (i would of been ok with that) instead of moving to CHINA and learning kung fu when the movie is called the karate kid!!!!
Go on youtube and check this out

Jackie Chan is not Japanese, and he doesn't look Japanese. no expression

That's why.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican

That's why.

Well no Sh1t sherlock!! tell me something i don't know.
My point was, it would of been better if they had done that way.
And FYI many actors and actresses take roles to be chinese and they are japanese or visa versa

example
Charlotte Lewis (golden child) she is Irish and Iraqi-Chilean, she sure isn't Tibetan or chinese

Ziyi Zhang and Michelle Yeoh (memoirs of a geisha) they are both chinese playing japanese

Sung Kang (tokyo drift) he's korean playing a chinese or japanese

Kelly Hu (NCIS) shes Chinese-Filipino-Hawaiian and English and she was playing a north korean.

NemeBro
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican

That's why. You forgot to mention that Kung-Fu does not look like Karate, and I cannot recall Chan ever learning nor performing Karate in a movie.

marwash22
would this have been a non-issue for you if they had called the movie, "The Kung-fu kid"?

darthmaul1
Originally posted by marwash22
would this have been a non-issue for you if they had called the movie, "The Kung-fu kid"?

Yup. just watch this arnie explains LOL

marwash22
big friggin' lulz! Seriously, that shit was hilarious... thanks for the link. But to the point, the movie is actually pretty good, despite the kung-fu part.

chomperx9
the last 2 anacondas movies were horrible. # 1 and 2 were good. the anacondas in the 3rd movie looked like zombies they went overboard trying to make them look scarry. the 4th one was a failure as well.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.